Public schools should not act as parents

The letter in the paper Sept. 14 ("Children must learn independence"), about the responsibilities of our schools and the children's teachers, was spot-on - and missed the point.

Yes, it's important that our children learn character and manners and independence as they learn the skills of reading, writing, arithmetic and the scientific method, but it's not the school's job to teach them all of these things. When the public schools announce that small children at an impressionable and dependent age must be taught "independence," they mean "independence from parents, transferring dependence to the school."

The founder of American public education was John Dewey, an avowed socialist whose express goal for public schools was in loco parentis - in the place of the parents. Not everyone can, nor should, home-school their children, nor can every child walk with her mother to the classroom every morning. But parents need to take charge of their children's education and let the kids know that the schools are not the last authority in their lives.

Be the real bastions of wisdom - not Miss So-and-So's first grade. Nothing against Miss So-and-So or any other teacher, but they are not your children's parents. You are.

Josh Griffing, Augusta

coco rubio
coco rubio 09/24/07 - 01:27 am
parents & teachers should

parents & teachers should work together to maximize the educational process.......

DeborahElliott2
DeborahElliott2 09/24/07 - 03:30 am
I would agree to that as long

I would agree to that as long as the teacher doesn't assurp the authority of the parent. That happened to me once and the I gave my kid a direct order to go to the office when the teacher then told her to delay that and go back to class. Oh was I livid!

Reality
Reality 09/24/07 - 05:50 am
Teachers are for teaching

Teachers are for teaching children, not parenting them. Children go to school to learn text book knowledge and to learn about social interaction both of which are important in everyday life.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 09/24/07 - 05:57 am
Concerned aware parents are

Concerned aware parents are involved with their childrens education. Those to busy or not concerned enough aren't.

Bizarro
Bizarro 09/24/07 - 06:02 am
It is the parents job to make

It is the parents job to make their kids receptive to learn, especially since teachers have no real disciplinary influence over kids. The teacher has a tough enough job without distractions of undisciplined kids. I want the teachers to teach my children the fundamentals, basic knowledge, "how" to think, but not necessarily "what" to think (as in world view). That is what bothers me about teaching the "bible" in the public school, because how you teach it can really influence a child one way or the other. I was reading an article recently talking about how experimental education the last three decades adopted ideas from psychology and behavioral scientist that were not tested and in fact later proven false. If your basic premise is false then the whole stack of cards falls. That analysis maynot be far off.

justus4
justus4 09/24/07 - 07:31 am
Good article> It nailed the

Good article> It nailed the fact about parenting and whose responsibility it to teach values. Sending kids to school does not make them learn, but pearents be more involved in the process. However, its not going to happen. The reality is thatthe schools are failing, because parents are failing and our society is failing. Its not hard to figure out; building more prisons than schools, no one seems to care. Parents think they,"buildin' them for others kids" but only time will tell.

shivas
shivas 09/24/07 - 08:38 am
Regardless of your opinion of

Regardless of your opinion of what ought to take place, schools and teachers play an extremely important role in the life of our children. A teacher is godlike to a K-3 kid. It is teachers responsibility to impart positive values to our children. They do it everyday by managing the classroom, modeling appropriate social interaction and shaping positive behaviors. Teachers do not take the place of parents, but for those children whose upbringing and parental influence may not be so positive, a teacher may be the the role-model to make the biggest difference in their life.

GLC
GLC 09/24/07 - 08:44 am
This letter misses the mark

This letter misses the mark by a mile. The fact is that during their formative years children spend more time at school than they do with their parents. It's no wonder that in a lot of cases the child wants to please the teacher more than the parent. Moreover, the mission of our public schools is not only to develop the child intellectually, but socially as well. The foundation for a wholesome child development is mutual TRUST between parents and school. The soft foundation that currently exists between parents and schools result from faults on both sides. In the interest of the child and larger society it is best to find ways to strengthen the foundation between parents and schools.

Bizarro
Bizarro 09/24/07 - 08:46 am
Dang justus4 rather a bleak

Dang justus4 rather a bleak outlook. The Flynn effect is the rise in average IQ seen in most of the world. Our kids are plenty bright but we have a society that doesn't emphasize education(your smart then your some kinda geek or nerd), but the "shallow" things of life. I think the postmodernist view and Buddhism have emphasized anything goes or the answer is within. I don't know,I believe I could think all day and never spontaneously derive Einstein's relativity from my own thoughts. I have never seen evidence of a collective consciousness I can tap into to find all the answers either. I really do agree about the significance of the social aspects learned in the public schools.

Jillian
Jillian 09/24/07 - 08:50 am
A parent who cares about

A parent who cares about their child does not wait until the child enters the public school system to begin their education. My children were all taught to read, write, spell, recite important numbers, etc well before the age of 4. They were also taught to sit down when I say so and have good manners such as saying "please" and "thank you".... Most of the values children have are not taught- but are caught by what they see modeled in the home.

Schools are struggling because they are left to deal with what happens in the home. I worked in conjunction with my children's teacher's, and am happy to say they are all well rounded, well educated, multi-talented, and responsible adult's now.

Investments are all about withdrawing from what the initial deposit was- what are we investing in our children? For the most part, I would say that is EXACTLY what we are getting.

Bizarro
Bizarro 09/24/07 - 09:00 am
I was apparently a "bright"

I was apparently a "bright" child (I know I haven't seen evidence either), but my parents opted to let me squirm with rest than be put in "special" classes. I am most grateful, because I learned more socially than educationally. The education came later for me and it has never stopped. I think my parents saved me from a social handicap.

karmakills123
karmakills123 09/24/07 - 09:46 am
excellent post

excellent post jillian.................my children were raised like yours and are also community minded adults who have given me two intelligent grand children who are being raise the same as they were......you see justus thats how it works..sorry but your family will not be seeing mine in your future jails.

mosesredsea7
mosesredsea7 09/24/07 - 09:58 am
Children need to be in the

Children need to be in the home until the age of 10. Our system is flawed to say the least.
Parents responsibility has been taken over by our government because parents do not want to parent. They want to make money to keep up with the whoevers!!!!!!!!!!!
School could serve kids ages 10 through 21 and then if chosen college at age 21.
What a different society we would have!!!!!

jack
jack 09/24/07 - 10:02 am
I attended school under

I attended school under Dewy's philosophy of "in loco parentis" (in lieu of the parent) and our teachers had the last word on the subect taught as well as the discipline in the class room. Teachers in my day did not have to carry liability insurance agaist frivolous law suits over little johnny or sally being appropriatly discipline at or by the school (teacher and or principal). I know for a fact that when I went to school, we did not have drugs, weapons nor violence in school and especially towards teachers. Those who broke those rules were sent to alternative school or expelled. Minor infractions were dealt with by a paddle on the rear end administered by the teacher or principal.

LaTwon
LaTwon 09/24/07 - 10:06 am
great cartoon from the 50's

great cartoon from the 50's on freedom and state control........

WorriedAboutOurFuture
WorriedAboutOurFuture 09/24/07 - 10:07 am
The key is to pay attention

The key is to pay attention to what your kid tells you about his teacher, and to meet her/him and get an impression of what kind of person your kid is listening to all day. Every year as long as it's practical. Then you'll know how to make sure your own world view and values are the ones your child ends up using as his standard for comparisons. Some teachers are helpful, some aren't, and some are weird. God isn't going to be asking your kid's teachers why your kid is going to hell.

chooseausername
chooseausername 09/24/07 - 10:08 am
The captain obvious headline

The captain obvious headline of the day. Sadly, there will be the child who isn't raised much in the home so the school is the second source of all their knowledge.

Interesting
Interesting 09/24/07 - 10:14 am
It is the teacher's

It is the teacher's responsibilty to teach the children reading, writing, and arithmetic. It is the parent's job to teach the children how to become positive citizens and mannerable. However, children are coming to school without being taught how to respect authority and some parents are too busy doing other things rather than keeping up with the education of thier children. The school system is not failing, we have to teach all students that walk through the door. We also have to deal with parents that love drama and are looking for an excuse to "go off." It gets to the point were many teachers dread going to work because we are always made the scapegoat. We teach, parents parent. I also must agree with karmakills123 and Jillian. I thank god for parents like you and I know your children are blessed. I hope other parents learned from you and will send thier children to school to learn and not for teachers to parent. We don't get paid enough.

Bizarro
Bizarro 09/24/07 - 10:16 am
Part of the problem is you

Part of the problem is you can raise your kids right and educate them for a fine neutral start. Then you send them off to college for that liberal arts education where many professors profess rather than teach (so much for a neutral point of view). A liberal arts education shouldn't be inherantly liberal (nothing against liberal but don't we want our kids to make their own decisions rather than indoctrination into beliefs). I find this particular interesting with Columbia Univ. actions of late. I wonder if there will be a question and answer period or counter views from an upcoming speaker to bring balance. What do yall think about Ahmadinejad speaking at Columbia?

mojoinaugusta
mojoinaugusta 09/24/07 - 10:29 am
GLC - check your math on time

GLC - check your math on time spent in school during formative years - 7 hours a day x 5 days a week for about 9 months out of the year - from say 1st or k grade forward - does not equal majority of time - not to mention one on one time vs. time spent with 18 - 30 other kids.

titleist
titleist 09/24/07 - 11:09 am
unfortunately, not every

unfortunately, not every teacher works with parents & not every parent works with their child's teacher or their child.

A growing percentage of our population are CHILDREN HAVING CHILDREN.., people who can't take care of THEMSELVES deciding it's a good idea to have unprotected sex with the rest of us picking up the tab. Of course, there are those that will tell us "that's what the SCHOOLS are for, to EDUCATE about that." WRONG. PARENTS are the primary educators. DON'T LET THE GOVT DO THAT FOR YOU.

Bizarro
Bizarro 09/24/07 - 11:40 am
Well if the parent is

Well if the parent is educated they can instill some knowledge, but that seems a huge leap of faith in many cases. I see some parents teach their children their own ignorance. I pay taxes for the hopes of some standard of education, if not I want a refund! Schools are to aid the student acquire the tools to learn. In the end we all have to learn on our own once we acquire the tools.

kiddspur
kiddspur 09/24/07 - 11:47 am
Training begins at home and

Training begins at home and advanced training begins at school -- the same goes for discipline -- begins at home!!!

Bizarro
Bizarro 09/24/07 - 12:36 pm
I agree kiddspur!!!!

I agree kiddspur!!!!

scigeek
scigeek 09/24/07 - 12:45 pm
People should stop breeding

People should stop breeding

FallingLeaves
FallingLeaves 09/24/07 - 02:08 pm
WorriedAboutOurFuture Again,

WorriedAboutOurFuture Again, I say, if more people thought like "WorriedAboutOurFuture" I wouldn't be worried about our future.

charles yonce
charles yonce 09/24/07 - 02:47 pm
you have a point there

you have a point there skigeek.i'm all for parents having as many children as they want,but when you start getting public assistance i have my right to complain.if you can't feed 1 how can you feed 4, will someone explain to me why the poorest people always have several children? i read an article in some newspaper this weekend which stated that schools are sending backpacks full of food home with the child on friday.they do this so the child and his family will have SOMETHING to eat over the weekend. am i missing something here? how could anybody with an ounce of respect and dignity not have money for food?

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 09/24/07 - 05:49 pm
scigeek, close. Breed

scigeek, close. Breed responsibly might make more sense, but is no more likely.

crackertroy
crackertroy 09/24/07 - 06:40 pm
Under NCLB we teachers bear

Under NCLB we teachers bear much of the responsibility for a student's education. If your child fails, I get called into the principle's office and I must document why I failed your child -even if your child is one of the few who fail. Failure rate is one of the indicators that determine whether or not a school meets annual yearly progress. It's not fair, but it's the law.

adam
adam 09/24/07 - 09:58 pm
I believe it's up to the

I believe it's up to the parents to decide how many children they have,that is their right,However I also believe that the parents must be responsible for that childs care.( including,fines,garnishments,prison time,and sterilization for lack of said care) The ANSWER is to END all forms of public subsidized assistance. Let the power of poverty control breeding habits.