Spaying, neutering must be mandatory

More than 15,000 homeless animals in our area are "euthanized" every year. The main reason animals are at shelters in the first place is overbreeding.

The solution to this is simple: mandatory spaying and neutering. If everyone fixed their animals at the appropriate age, we could eliminate this problem.

Cost is the main reason people do not spay and neuter their animals. I believe our government can eliminate this problem by providing income-based financial assistance for spay and neuter services.

If you think killing of these animals is sad, do something about it. Urge your mayor and commissioners to make spaying and neutering mandatory.

Julia Nwakor, Augusta

methree
methree 09/24/07 - 02:21 am
there are 2 low cost spay and

there are 2 low cost spay and neuter clinics in the csra. there are csra lifesavers and heart song. they just need to get the word out more. maybe the paper could give some free advertising?

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 09/24/07 - 05:00 am
Great concept. I wonder if we

Great concept. I wonder if we could integrate it into our government subsidies programs.

Bizarro
Bizarro 09/24/07 - 05:21 am
These animals were not

These animals were not euthanized, they were murdered. At least that is the impression I get from some people after reading all the reaction to the Vick case. I like the idea Patricia but unfortunately people frown on eugenics hee, hee.

NANF
NANF 09/24/07 - 05:55 am
I called the shelter about

I called the shelter about adopting two dogs The price included the spaying. I told the woman that I could have it done cheaper at the vet in Thomson, using the gov't program, plus, they give a sr. citizins discount. She said that maybe I could not "provide" for the dogs if I couldn't afford the price. What a rude person I was dealing with. My dog was 15 yrs. old when I had to put her down and was better cared for than a lot of people in the world. It's no wonder there are so many animals up for adoption out there. I would gladly have taken any proof of spaying after I had it done. So, there are plenty in the I-Wanta. I feel for the ones that are stuck in The Richmond county ( Shelter?) The rude woman working there gives a whole new meaning to the word shelter.

Signal Always
Signal Always 09/24/07 - 07:40 am
I'm not cutting off my dog's

I'm not cutting off my dog's boys.

Its me1
Its me1 09/24/07 - 07:42 am
the real reason is

the real reason is irresponsibility of pet owners.

Bizarro
Bizarro 09/24/07 - 07:55 am
Signal Always it is not so

Signal Always it is not so bad. My wife and daughters clipped mine years ago and although my voice is a little high I seem to be no worse for the wear. My wife darned them and hangs them on her car antenna. You may have noticed them-there blue. Hee, hee.

Daddyrabbit
Daddyrabbit 09/24/07 - 08:14 am
Something to think

Something to think about....I've seen in this paper readers comments that pets are people, too. No matter how strongly they feel about it wouldn't that mean they have rights? If so why aren't the same people fighting the concept of neutralization (castration) of these animals...after all that's violating their rights if they're people too. I wonder how many of these idiots have their pets neutralized?

Signal Always
Signal Always 09/24/07 - 08:18 am
Neutralized? I'm not

Neutralized? I'm not performing Chemistry experiments on him either.

Daddyrabbit
Daddyrabbit 09/24/07 - 08:24 am
Neutralization has, in this

Neutralization has, in this case nothing to do with chemistry. When you spay or NEUTER and animal (or person) you are rendering them sexually neutral, hence neutralization. Okay?

Signal Always
Signal Always 09/24/07 - 08:27 am
I'm thinking you're getting

I'm thinking you're getting the usage of the word wrong, or adding your own definition to that particular term. As someone stated earlier, it's about owner responsibility and I'm not cutting off my boy's twins just because some crackhead allows his pitbull to fertilize half of his neighbor's dogs. Wanna send a message? Neuter the crackhead.

NANF
NANF 09/24/07 - 08:48 am
Oh Gawd! Stupid is as stupid

Oh Gawd! Stupid is as stupid does. ( or does not ) which ever the case. Y'all are so far off base. Well, we all have a right to our opinion.

Bizarro
Bizarro 09/24/07 - 08:59 am
Let's face it the same people

Let's face it the same people who anthropomorph their pets also believe their pet will go to heaven. Which means these people are muslim or something because it is not judeochristian. If the animals are like humans then set them all free. Freedom for the poor pets being subjugated to the evil whims of humans. Why not free all the domesticated animals. Why the bias towards cats and dogs. Animal bigots. Jeez people!!

PetsArePeopleToo
PetsArePeopleToo 09/24/07 - 10:04 am
Manditory ? Not too sure

Manditory ? Not too sure about that . Too me Pets are People Too. I think that the spay /neuter program should be a matter of personal choice for any pet owners. This is one that I choose to participate in . I have children that were born with and without "papers" . Those papers mean nothing more to me than the junk mail that I recieve daily in the mail delivery. I personally feel that far too many animals are bred for profit. I have been critized for spaying my champion Doberman after her first heat cycle for not allowing her to reproduce . With some of us its not about profit, other it is . I really believe
that if there were other avenues that were not so expensive many pet owners would participate. Perhaps the even super low cost that is already available in our area is too much for some persons to afford, as many people are without health insurance for themselves let alone their pets. Manditory ? I am not sure that will solve the overpopulation issue. Those who are looking to adopt should consider the route of alteration as a personal choice not because they are being ordered to do so.

TrukinRanger
TrukinRanger 09/24/07 - 10:41 am
DON'T DO IT!!!!! I'd rather

DON'T DO IT!!!!! I'd rather see owners given a fine or something similar. I adopted a pet 8 years ago- he had already been neutered. He has been the absolute best pet ever!!!! Now he has cancer, and won't be around much longer. His legacy stops with him. I'd breed him in a heartbeat if it wasn't too late!!!

Bizarro
Bizarro 09/24/07 - 10:56 am
The average lifespan of a dog

The average lifespan of a dog is 10-15 years, dependent on size and breed. If your not a dog breeder then all owners should have their dog neutered. Ten years or so sounds a reasonable time to have pet-if you don't feed them dog food from China. If you can afford to have a pet you can afford to have them neutered.

LittleLady
LittleLady 09/24/07 - 11:26 am
I don't see how the law can

I don't see how the law can be enforced. Please don't make a law that cannot be enforced. Educate pet owners to be responsible and neuter and spay their pets.

Bizarro
Bizarro 09/24/07 - 12:00 pm
Little Lady I don't know if

Little Lady I don't know if it is can't or won't be enforced. Laws for illegal immigration mean squat, and some city is giving amnesty to criminals who turn themselves in. What an injustice to those who have been convicted.

Augusta Mom
Augusta Mom 09/24/07 - 12:04 pm
Like it would do any good to

Like it would do any good to pass that law! There's already a law regulating dogs and cats to have rabies shots...and half of the people don't even do that! For the animal's benefit, responsible dog/cat owners should have their animals spayed and neutered. Unaltered female dogs can develop cancers and all kinds of infections. Unaltered males also have a much higher chance of cancers.

Bizarro
Bizarro 09/24/07 - 12:19 pm
There are county leash laws

There are county leash laws that apply to cats as well as dogs, yet I've never seen anyone walking their cat on a leash.

Signal Always
Signal Always 09/24/07 - 12:58 pm
Leashing a cat. Does that

Leashing a cat. Does that come with hazard duty pay? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRWB3rtCwTY

american1st
american1st 09/24/07 - 12:59 pm
So if you made it mandatory

So if you made it mandatory to spay or neuter every dog or cat, then how long before they are totally extinct? I know alot of people out there that should be. Might have reduced a lot of the current problems if James Brown had been:)

mojoinaugusta
mojoinaugusta 09/24/07 - 03:41 pm
Has anyone asked the dogs? or

Has anyone asked the dogs? or the cats? what about their rights!

reenee
reenee 09/24/07 - 06:10 pm
i believe there is a s.p.o.t

i believe there is a s.p.o.t program in the august area. $30 to spay/neuter your pet - dog or cat - & this includes all shots. something to look into. brevard, florida has this program in effect & the cost is $10 for everything. the salary cut off is over $60,000. if that town can do it then we all can.

i totally agree with the original writer. i assist in a shelter in myrtle beach & the stories are horrific. today a barge worker pulled out a cat from the intercoastal that was tossed out by a person in a vehicle. this was the 1920's mentality of animal birth control. this all has to stop now.

t of i
t of i 09/24/07 - 06:42 pm
Well, I'm a cat person,

Well, I'm a cat person, though I have had my share of dogs. Cats are just easier for working people. There have been years when our vet bills exceeded OUR medical bills. So be it. Our animals are part of our family.

acousticb1
acousticb1 09/24/07 - 07:24 pm
mandatory spay and neuter

mandatory spay and neuter would be the extinction of many area dogs and cats.

reenee
reenee 09/25/07 - 07:35 am
work in a shelter & then come

work in a shelter & then come back & argue we do not need mandatory sterilization. after you look at all those innocent faces, listen to them whimper & howl because they all know they are going to die, maybe then society will finally wise up.

Bizarro
Bizarro 09/25/07 - 08:28 am
As long as there are humans,

As long as there are humans, then domesticated animals are in no fear of extinction. That is not a logical argument.