Father faces molestation, theft charges

Police got two arrests for the price of one Wednesday when an Augusta man was charged with molesting his 5-year-old daughter and stealing a motorcycle.

Ralph Joseph Conklin Jr.: Man's wife told police he had sex with their young daughter, and a call to a tip line added another charge.  Special
Special

Ralph Joseph Conklin Jr., 24, is charged with aggravated child molestation and theft by taking more than $500, according to Richmond County sheriff's Investigator Horace Anderson.

His wife told authorities Monday that Mr. Conklin had sex with their daughter, who was 4 years old in May, when the molestation was alleged to have occurred. After investigating, police arrested Mr. Conklin on molestation charges.

That same morning, someone left an anonymous tip in a separate case on an information line that police introduced last month.

"We received the tip the same morning - giving information where the stolen property was and some names," Sgt. Anderson said.

The tip lead police to the 800 block of Horseshoe Road, where two juveniles were arrested on theft charges.

Mr. Conklin was implicated in the theft and charged in that case.

It is the first time a tip on the new line has lead to an arrest, police said.

Reach Adam Folk at (706) 823-3339 or adam.folk@augustachronicle.com.

TIP LINE

Callers can reach the Richmond County Sheriff's Office's 24-hour crime tip line at (866) 939-5050. Callers can remain anonymous when leaving information.

CyndiCk
CyndiCk 09/21/07 - 01:11 am
Nasty pig! I think there

Nasty pig! I think there should only be "one strike" against child molesters.

jackragg
jackragg 09/21/07 - 02:38 am
If he indeed did this, there

If he indeed did this, there is a special place in hell for him.But, it is quite common for people going through relationship problems to make false accusations.There are many documented cases of people being falsely accused of child molestation.The problem with this is that the paper has reported him being accused, which is obviously enough for the person above to find him guilty.If he didn't do it and is found innocent, the paper will probably not report it thereby ruining this mans life.Judge not lest thou be judged.

dixiebelle30824
dixiebelle30824 09/21/07 - 03:02 am
If mom knew this happened in

If mom knew this happened in May and did not tell , then her butt should be in jail right along with her sick husband!!!!!

CyndiCk
CyndiCk 09/21/07 - 03:13 am
You're right dixiebelle. If

You're right dixiebelle. If she knew this all along and said nothing, she should get whatever punishment her loser huband gets. She's just as guilty.

CyndiCk
CyndiCk 09/21/07 - 03:16 am
Someone explain to me how

Someone explain to me how women like this "stand by their men" when they're capable of doing this kinda thing. Men are a dime a dozen, but your child is your blood. I just don't understand it.

justus4
justus4 09/21/07 - 04:36 am
Both parents are unfit. But

Both parents are unfit. But this causes some reservation due to such out-of-bound behavior. What material facts are known and is there a hidden agenda by mom. With this local law enforcement skills, the kid has some problems. I hope its not a lying woman trying to exact some revenge.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 09/21/07 - 05:53 am
I hope the police verified

I hope the police verified the molestation. Accusing a husband of molestation is a common trick used by vindictive wives. I'm not saying that's the case this time, just a lot of the time. I'm bothered by the delay in reporting it. Actually, I'm bothered by the whole situation.

CHIEF
CHIEF 09/21/07 - 06:00 am
lock them all up after

lock them all up after sterilization and death.

heartablazing
heartablazing 09/21/07 - 06:03 am
I imagine that once the man

I imagine that once the man was acuused of molesting his child the girl was checked by a doctor to see if in fact any sexual behavior had taken place. Apperantly something happened to make the police file charges against this person. If the mother knew about this in May she should have reported it then but then again, how old is she? Probably still a teenager who made her first mistake by hooking up with this guy.

Bizarro
Bizarro 09/21/07 - 06:31 am
I know Vick did some bad

I know Vick did some bad things and deserves to be punished, but this is the face of evil and you have to wonder was "it" ever human. I also wonder about his wife (probably also a product of sexual abuse as a child and probable beatings from her husband). Anyone who is a man and father has to wonder how could anyone be capable of molesting their own daughter. If I was his wife I would have killed him in his sleep (she obviously felt trapped to tell, and killing him would have been like flushing a goldfish down the toilet). I'd gladly go to prison to free my daughter from hell. Sometimes life is a compromise. Much to my shame I find it difficult to even pray for the man as well as breathe the word forgiveness.

stephianne63
stephianne63 09/21/07 - 06:56 am
Amen, Bizarro! If that were

Amen, Bizarro! If that were my child, I would have no problem what so ever putting a bullet in his head. Sleeping or not. I do pray for the little girl, she has a long road ahead of her.

getalife
getalife 09/21/07 - 07:03 am
If molested, this child had a

If molested, this child had a life sentence given to her. If guilty, the man should be executed!! No amount of rehabilitation, therapy or prison time will help him. If the mother knew about this and said nothing since May, then she should be in prison. Not much of a MOTHER in my mind!!!

wise
wise 09/21/07 - 07:28 am
Jackragg The reason why so

Jackragg
The reason why so many go with out being found guilty is that it is hard to prove a molestion case it is in most caese the childs word aginst an adults. The mother in this case should have charges brought against her since it happened in May but is not being reported until September. It is sad when women put men before their own children.

jaschild
jaschild 09/21/07 - 07:41 am
if this were true, killing my

if this were true, killing my husband would not be an option, but it certainly would be pondered. what good would it do for the child?? father dead, mother in jail. dad needs to go to jail (they love child molesters) and mother/child should receive counseling.

ripjones
ripjones 09/21/07 - 07:43 am
Getalife - you hit the nail

Getalife - you hit the nail on the head. Could not have said it better myself. Let's see what happens.

Interested Citizen
Interested Citizen 09/21/07 - 07:53 am
He did this in May.....it is

He did this in May.....it is SEPTEMBER....lady where have you been all this time? Did you take your child to the Dr in May? If so why were charges not brought then?

saltine
saltine 09/21/07 - 07:56 am
"Mother" is a name they put

"Mother" is a name they put on a birth certificate.Mama is something that grows inside you.Choice is something we all have .Sounds like both parties made bad ones.Both parties need to be questioned and judged.This child had no voice or protection from either one

Bizarro
Bizarro 09/21/07 - 08:09 am
It appears this is a disease

It appears this is a disease there is no cure for-both parents. I find the whole scenario frustrating and self-propagating. I can understand trying to find the "root" of the societal problem, but it is impossible to empathize or sympathize with this kind of behavior. I find this tests my humanity, because of my lack of sympathy and my outrage.

tgray
tgray 09/21/07 - 08:11 am
If there is proof that he did

If there is proof that he did this, he needs to be severely punished. I'm suspect about the mother. If she knew this in May, why wasn't the child taken to the hospital, verified and reported in May. If the mother knew and didn't protect her child, then she needs to be investigated and charged too. If this is a vengeance, and the father is being falsely accused, she needs to be arrested. Falsely accusing anyone of child molestation hurts the other children that have really been raped as well as the accused.

jackfruitpaper833
jackfruitpaper833 09/21/07 - 08:16 am
*backwards* *backwards*

*backwards* *backwards* *backwards*

Just me 2
Just me 2 09/21/07 - 08:18 am
omg! Four years old. She is

omg! Four years old. She is just a baby! He must be the devil and his stupid butt wife also!!

rjay
rjay 09/21/07 - 08:24 am
Why did the mother(or egg

Why did the mother(or egg carrier) wait 5 months to report this? Did she just get mad about something else and did not get her way or is she just that retarded!

sweetpea
sweetpea 09/21/07 - 08:25 am
did you ever think maybe the

did you ever think maybe the child just told her mother about this?

gofigure
gofigure 09/21/07 - 08:31 am
If you are a good observant

If you are a good observant mother you will notice something like this you do not have to be told! To wait this long, it sounds like the mother called the tip line on the father and then cried rape to cover herself. The child is the one who needs love and support rigth now. If he did do this he is a sicko- and needs help! She needs help too from the sounds of it.

reader@work
reader@work 09/21/07 - 08:35 am
God gave us children to bring

God gave us children to bring up in the nurter and admonition of the Lord. This certainly is NOT what HE meant. We are suppose to love and protect our children. These two people do not need children. They abuse and hurt them. There are many couples in the world that WANT to have children but can't. This world would be a better place if those couples had the ones who have been abused. Couples like this article should be "fixed" so they could never have children again. That would be justice!!!!!

Newsreader
Newsreader 09/21/07 - 08:44 am
My first question is how did

My first question is how did the molestation become known. Was it witnessed or did the child exhibit behaviour that lead to it being exposed? My second question is was there only one incident? More than likely if the father and child were together and this would not be an single incident. The article did not mention a medical professional, which would be required to report this case to DFACS and Police, therefore, I think this child was not treated or examined prior to the mother's report. I also find it hard to believe that she was unaware of what was happening. There would be indicators prior to the May incident and more incidents since May. The mother is an accesory after the fact if not more involved. Reckless endangerment is a more fitting charge, the child should always be protected. Now if the mother's charges are false, then she is guilty of giving false information, hindering an investigation, and false imprisonment of her husband. God help this child regardless. I pray that someone will take care of her and provide the love and protection she will need. If the parents are guilty, may the Devil have the souls he has already claimed.

Edward1968
Edward1968 09/21/07 - 08:46 am
If there is enough for a true

If there is enough for a true bill of indictment and he is found guilty then I think the best words out of the judge's mouth should be "life in prison" and "castration".

Jen2803
Jen2803 09/21/07 - 08:48 am
sweetpea-- she was four and

sweetpea-- she was four and now is five. Children that young do not know months. She couldn't have just told her mother it happened in May. If the molestation did happen then the mother knew all along that it happened. Doesn't she bathe the child? Molested children have physical signs on them that a rape has occurred. If it happened or didn't happen the mother should still be charged with something. Either giving a false statement or hiding the fact that her own precious daughter was molested by her disgusting father.

shivas
shivas 09/21/07 - 08:55 am
A 4 year old child will be

A 4 year old child will be able to report the truth. I am sure law enforcemetn and DFCS are well aware of the possibility of vindictive reporting. However, the main evidence will come from a physical exam of this child, which will verify if there has been sexual contact. If so, this father deserves the worst punishment the legal system can give.

Edward1968
Edward1968 09/21/07 - 08:58 am
Newsreader, you are jumping

Newsreader, you are jumping to the conclusion that the mother knew before September. The AC report does not state this. Therefore, she is not an accessory after the fact. However, the use of the word "occured" does sound like she knew. I don't think a child of this age would be able to tell the month unless she was able to relate the alleged crime to another event that the mother would know by date. I believe many reading the AC article will take the mother's words of "had sex" to mean intercourse, penetration, or sodomy. This may not be the case and there may not have been any outward signs of physical abuse. The RCSO investigators unfortunately have many cases in this area to investigate and I am sure they will be dilligent in their investigation and bring the best evidence to the DA to put before a Grand Jury.

Democrats target turnout for Sunday voting

Registered voters in Augusta-Richmond County can cast ballots in the Nov. 4 election from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Sunday in the Advance Voting Center at Augusta Municipal Building, 530 Greene St.