Woman scammed at least 104, police say

Almost two months after her arrest, police have a final tally of the number of people who say they were duped by an Augusta woman's scam.

One hundred and four people in Richmond and Columbia counties have come forward claiming to have been tricked into buying, and in some cases selling, electronic items for Cynthia O'Tyson's falsified company, Wholesale Liquidators. The total amount of money stolen was about $270,000, according to police.

Richmond County sheriff's Investigator Anita Hopson said the information will be turned over to District Attorney Danny Craig and that authorities plan to pursue a racketeering charge.

"This is the largest victim count for one individual to be charged with that I've ever worked on," Investigator Hopson said.

Ms. O'Tyson turned herself in to authorities July 19 and was originally charged with three felony counts of theft by deception. She is accused of using friends, church members, co-workers and associates from some of the civic organizations she belonged to, including the Columbia County Chamber of Commerce, to spread information about the discounted electronic items she claimed to be selling. She would take checks from the victims for items such as flat-screen televisions and computers, but she delivered the items only to a few customers in order to keep up the appearance of a legitimate business, Investigator Hopson said.

Although 104 people have come forward, Investigator Hopson estimates that between 50 and 100 other victims have not. She said many might feel embarrassed because they were duped.

"She tricked (everyone) from business owners to law enforcement," Ms. Hopson said.

Ms. O'Tyson is also believed to have reimbursed some victims with stolen money when they confronted her about not receiving their orders, Investigator Hopson said.

Ms. O'Tyson is being held at the Charles B. Webster Detention Center on Phinizy Road.

Reach Adam Folk at (706) 823-3339 or adam.folk@augustachronicle.com.

pofwe
pofwe 09/20/07 - 06:11 am
Ms. O'Tyson, what a "honey."

Ms. O'Tyson, what a "honey." Wonder how she likes the beans 'n' bread, a staple @ the Webster Detention Center. Oh, who cares.

RogueKnight
RogueKnight 09/20/07 - 07:30 am
Wow, she really outdid

Wow, she really outdid herself. Ad this to her previous scam and she cracks half a million bucks.

piniksleeper06
piniksleeper06 09/20/07 - 07:34 am
Ms Cydni i'm praying for you

Ms Cydni i'm praying for you at church every sunday and everyday. I just cant believe you would do something like this. You "was" a good person. Just dont know now.

MyOpinion2
MyOpinion2 09/20/07 - 07:38 am
This scum bag has absolutely

This scum bag has absolutely NO CONSCIENCE, I hope the judge makes her get one and (makes her PAY BACK EVERY PERSON SHE HAS EVER DUPED)!

REDEAGLE
REDEAGLE 09/20/07 - 08:28 am
i wish the ac had published a

i wish the ac had published a picture of this gal.

RogueKnight
RogueKnight 09/20/07 - 08:33 am
REDEAGLE, go the Chronicle

REDEAGLE, go the Chronicle archives on 7/28/07 and there's a story with her photo in it.

REDEAGLE
REDEAGLE 09/20/07 - 08:56 am
thanks

thanks

WarEagle
WarEagle 09/20/07 - 09:06 am
Our world has become nothing

Our world has become nothing but sex, drugs and thieves.....makes me only look forward to dying and leaving this pathetic world.

csralookout
csralookout 09/20/07 - 09:15 am
10 years in prison would be

10 years in prison would be about right! Give her a long time to think about what she did...this kind of thing makes everyone afraid to trust others.

RogueKnight
RogueKnight 09/20/07 - 09:34 am
gdawg, she was sentenced to

gdawg, she was sentenced to 30 years the last time she pulled this stunt, but didn't even serve three. This time she'll have some serious time to serve. This is her third offense, if I recall correctly. Three strikes....

rjay
rjay 09/20/07 - 09:45 am
She needs to work and pay

She needs to work and pay back every dime she stole. then go to jail. They need to sell everything she has and give that to her victims. They need to make her children ( if any) help pay it back because I bet they recieved money from her. If she can be that mean to people then it should come back two fold and bite her in the butt, ( and by her picture she has a very LARGE butt)

CATLOVER
CATLOVER 09/20/07 - 10:32 am
can i spend her money while

can i spend her money while she's in the pokey?

cris5374
cris5374 09/20/07 - 12:21 pm
hey leonle, you okay, that

hey leonle, you okay, that was a bit drastic, chill, she'll get hers

shaftmaster
shaftmaster 09/20/07 - 03:02 pm
Hey Leonle - why don't you

Hey Leonle - why don't you think about speeding up your departure!

Bizarro
Bizarro 09/21/07 - 05:59 am
If you are a church goer then

If you are a church goer then you should know no one is good-why otherwise would anyone be there. She obviously went in as a wolf in lambs clothing and she has been eating lots of lambs. She is a repeat offender-were all the people duped unknowing of her previous activities? Pray for and forgive her, but the worldy repercussions need to be severe-she is a sociopath.

emerald
emerald 09/21/07 - 04:41 pm
rjay - her husband still

rjay - her husband still lives in the house, has a truck and a boat sitting in the driveway --- and has not as much as apologized to my family let alone pay them back a dime for the thousands stolen from us!!
(hey Rougeknight - how you doing??)

RogueKnight
RogueKnight 09/23/07 - 07:22 pm
Hi Emerald. I'm doing OK. How

Hi Emerald. I'm doing OK. How about you? rjay, she was ordered to pay restitution when she was convicted in her last scam, but I haven't seen a dime of it. I'll be happy if they put her away for a while. I'll never see my money again, and I can live with that. I'm still befuddled by how her parole officer never caught on to her this go 'round.

emerald
emerald 09/24/07 - 06:33 pm
I'm ok RK - wish we could get

I'm ok RK - wish we could get on with the trial though - so I can look her in the eye like she did me when she lied to my face about not ever hurting my kids and grandkids because she cared soooo much about them (right!)!! I don't expect to ever get a dime either - like I said - we haven't as much as had an apology from her husband - sad, isn't it! Regarding the parole officer - from what I know - her employer hadn't seen her in two years!! I will get answers - you can count on that!!

sharpie00
sharpie00 09/24/07 - 06:48 pm
Her employer hadn't seen her

Her employer hadn't seen her in 2 years? that doesn't make any sense considering all the phone calls she was getting at work. in fact, there were individuals who showed up to her job to collect money when they had a gut feeling they were being taken. As far as seeing any money is concerned; don't count on it. Either she used the money, or paid back alot of people from her previous scam(s) as well as her current one. To think like her would mean to think like a liar. She can come up with one story after another and chances are, they would all be lies. i don't think we'll ever know the truth of what happened to all the money. As far as her husband is concerned, he's as worthless as much as she is. Who's to say that he's not sitting on a pile of cash somewhere? It's not like she put the money in a bank account. I'm sure she just cashed everyone's checks to keep it "under the table". In my opinion, she wanted to get caught. That's why she never left town.

emerald
emerald 09/24/07 - 07:53 pm
Sharpie - you must have been

Sharpie - you must have been reading too fast, what I said was that the parole officer hadn't been to see the employer in two years. And I want to find out why - it just seems crazy to me!

javadrinker
javadrinker 09/25/07 - 09:13 pm
To everyine that Cyndi stole

To everyine that Cyndi stole from hurt betrayed and made distrusting of the world around you I pray for you all. I am her husband's sister in law and although she never took money from me(I do not have any) she hurt me in a number of ways that I am trying to come to terms with and I will. Cyndi's path of destruction is very wide. Her husband lost his brither last year( my husband) and this family is still not whole and nerver will be again. Her husband DID NOT KNOW ANYTHING SHE WAS DOING he is a bit naive and grew up in a home where people did not steal and lie. We all knew she had been in jail before but through her previous church really thought she had changed. We also did not have the full story. No we did not check her past out. Perhaps we will check out all new people. Cyndi said she could get cheap things but she had to pay full price like the rest of us would she delivered on some and stole to pay the difference. THER IS NO PILE OF MONEY. If you know her she HAD to be the center of everything at all times I think that was her twisted reasoning. She feels no one's pain. STOP WITH BLAMING HER HUSBAND he was hurt more than anyone financially and emotionally.

peopletalk
peopletalk 09/25/07 - 10:22 pm
Why shouldn't Tony have his

Why shouldn't Tony have his house and truck. He did nothing wrong, like the rest of us he believed she had a legal business. He will never recover from this. financially or emotionally. Stop blaming him.

emerald
emerald 09/26/07 - 08:08 am
javadrinker and peopletalk

javadrinker and peopletalk --- I am not blaming him as if he was in on the scam ---- BUT, he did know her past - he knew she had been in prison for a money problem, and he DID see a LOT of money exchanging hands ----- that is my problem with him! Does it mean that he did anything wrong? Well, I have a difficult time believing a grown man is so naive not to have known that thousands of dollars changing hands with an ex-con is not a good idea!! He had to have been concerned. Why didnt he go to their pastor - go to her parole officer - ANYONE to get her help and stop her from this destruction! We didn't know her until after they were married and didnt know her past - and he was there when money (big money) exchanged hands. Like I said, that is my problem with him - that he was there - he did see it. I come from a family that did not steal or lie either - but I would NEVER have thought that exchanging this kind of money with an ex-con of any kind, let alone one that was an ex-con for the same scam, was ok - no matter how naive. I feel for your family, I feel for Tony - it's just that a "sorry for standing by and doing nothing" from him would have gone a long way!

tigerchick09
tigerchick09 09/27/07 - 07:54 am
Well to let everyone know

Well to let everyone know Tony didnt know NOTHING about it.I am a member of their church and apart of their youth.Cydni wrote us a letter and said to pray for her.Yes i feel like i cant trust her again.But i dont hate her! Plus Tony told us he didnt know nothing.& if u know Tony he is a truthful and honesty man in my book and will always be. But most of ya'll dont know her and if u do u would feel the same way. So if u got something mean to say about Cydni or Tony dont cause u dont know them like their really family does THANK YOU!

emerald
emerald 09/27/07 - 08:19 am
Tigerchick09. You are right

Tigerchick09. You are right to pray for her, she certainly needs prayer. But she has done this twice now and has caused SO much heartache and damage to so many lives - you should also be praying for the 100 - 200 victims. I hope you will keep trusting people who deserve to be trusted but, please remember this sayiing as you grow up ---- Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me! And I am not trying to say anything mean about Tony, I believe he wasn't helping her, just that he did know what she was doing as he saw a lot of money changing hands. I feel for him. He was hurt like the rest of us. He is another one of her victims and certainly needs you and the others at your church to support him.

tigerchick09
tigerchick09 09/27/07 - 11:19 am
well its still wrong ya'll

well its still wrong ya'll are saying this but some of ya'll dont know them like my church and others do. But I will take that in mind. But in the mean time PLEASE PRAY FOR HER AND HER FAMILY AND CHURCH. oh yea who ever posted that comment about her children should pay the money. I dont think thats a good idea cause she called her youth her kids........

liedto
liedto 09/27/07 - 08:30 pm
I will offer up a prayer for

I will offer up a prayer for anybody who believes ANYTHING Cyndi says or claims in the future. Based on what I've learned of her past, which includes more than the two mentioned scams, she will lie again and again. Some people are beyond reform and can not be helped. She came to my house, sat in my living room, hugged our necks, and then lied over and over like a pro without out even flinching. I trusted her, because I trust people until I have a reason not too. There is nothing she can say or do that will ever gain my trust again. I took a large financial loss because of her, and now my tax dollars are going to house, feed, and REFORM

liedto
liedto 09/27/07 - 08:38 pm
(oops, hit the enter button

(oops, hit the enter button by mistake) her. How insulting! She has no soul and does not care who she hurts, family, friends, aquaintances, or "her" children. If any of you believes anything she says, God have mercy on you. Hopefully, she will be put away for such a time that it would be impossible for her to ever harm anyone again.

peopletalk
peopletalk 09/28/07 - 09:27 pm
I have known Cyndi for a few

I have known Cyndi for a few years and I knew she had been in jail. I never trusted her,or believe a word she said. Something was not just right about her. I would have never handed over money to her. Something about her eyes told me not to trust her.

DaVitte slaying suspect still in Florida

A month after the slaying of 55-year-old Bill DaVitte, suspect Daniel Nelson Robinson, 21, remains in a Jacksonville, Fla., detention facility.