Relatively speaking

In comments below, tell us what word is unique to your family's vocabulary. It can be a made-up word or an existing word that has a special definition to your family.

Note: The Secret Words contest entry period has ended. Chronicle columnist and "Language Guardian" Glynn Moore will announce the winner in his Oct. 1 column. However, we invite you to keep sharing your family's made-up words with other readers.

Don KING
Don KING 09/19/07 - 08:10 am
Boonhine- youthful expression

Boonhine- youthful expression for the derriere (rhymes with moonshine)

Don KING
Don KING 09/19/07 - 08:12 am
Bazacko- to go temporarily

Bazacko- to go temporarily insane.... "When the snake crawled across her feet she went BAZACKO!!

Trishwhiz
Trishwhiz 09/19/07 - 10:10 am
Nunya: as in none of ya

Nunya: as in none of ya business.

Nacho Rule; we never put enough cheese on the nachos, so we decided when we felt we had enough, then we needed to double it. Hence: Nacho Rule: to double your efforts, or increase amount.

Trisha Whisenhunt

frustrated101
frustrated101 09/19/07 - 03:53 pm
NALVE - To ask a really

NALVE - To ask a really stupid question

My youngest daughter would have so much homework that sometimes her brain suffered from information overload. One evening she came out of her room and asked, "What does NALVE mean?" All I could say was HUH? So she showed me the word and somehow her brain had switched the I in NAIVE with an L and came up with NALVE. Now whenever anyone in the family asks a really stupid question such as how many hours are in 24 hours (my daughter did this also) we just say, "stop being so NALVE!"

Brenda Maddox

kmc1977
kmc1977 09/19/07 - 05:29 pm
Hanitizer-short for hand

Hanitizer-short for hand sanitizer. My niece could not seem to get out the words hand sanitizer. She just kept asking for hanitizer. Our family began using the word and it even eventually worked its way into my classroom. I said it so often that my first grade students started telling me about the hanitizer bottle.

perpetua55
perpetua55 09/20/07 - 08:30 am
Willbee....It means something

Willbee....It means something that we are not quite sure what it is, but some day we probably will. It started when I was a child and my older sister was getting a pimple...it was just a big red bump on her chin at the time. She asked my mother what it was and was told it was a pimple, my sister said that it didn't really look like a pimple and mom said,"it probably will be." My sister shrieked, "What's a Willbee?!!!!" From then on, if we didn't know what something was, it was a "willbee".

Laurieview
Laurieview 09/20/07 - 09:38 am
My word, which I offer to the

My word, which I offer to the public, is GRIVEL. It is an excellent word denoting a combination of "snivel", "drivel" and gripe" As in, "stop grivelling" (complaining about some insignificant matter. Coined by my brother John, to whom I also attribute the gems "chill-billy" (slow-moving or dim-witted people who impede progress or movement); and "chimp-sandwich" with its many chimp variations (impossible to explain concisely, but contact me if you need further details).

o2grok
o2grok 09/20/07 - 02:08 pm
Beedai - The word that my

Beedai - The word that my daughter made up at 18 months old to describe raisins.
Hoodle - What our mother does when she's fretfully vocalizing her worries. She starts out at a strained but normal pitch, that rises over the course of her complaints until only dogs can hear her.
Momnesia - The Swiss-cheese brain syndrome that will let you remember precisely how each child on your daughter's soccer team likes their sandwiches made when it's your turn to bring the snacks, but also makes you forget where you put your keys to take them. "How could you leave the bank card in the ATM?" "Sorry. I have momnesia."
PheMOMenon - The change that overcomes a woman once she has a baby. May include cooing at small furry things and collecting porcelain figurines. "You sure have changed, honey. I didn't ever think you'd be making mud pies without worrying about your manicure." "Yes, it's a strange phemomenon."

thequeen
thequeen 09/20/07 - 04:47 pm
CHICKYBOMS: Any mysterious

CHICKYBOMS: Any mysterious or unusual food. My three-year-old coined it, but it definitely does not refer to any form of chicken. We have never found out what her "food order" was!

BakersfieldCityLimits
BakersfieldCityLimits 09/20/07 - 09:17 pm
ankitate: to think that

ankitate: to think that everyone is getting something better than you, and become angry.

ex. Don't ankitate about Devon's dvd player, yours is just as good.

Waymore
Waymore 09/20/07 - 10:23 pm
strikimitation: to act the

strikimitation: to act the same way as someone else that you know, only they don't realize that you are imitating them. Usually, this person is guilty of being a malcontent, but when they move on to bigger and better things, they forget what a mutant they were/are. So, to remind them, you constantly strikitate them.

jebko
jebko 09/21/07 - 04:39 am
BINGLE YELP: My oldest

BINGLE YELP: My oldest grandson came up with this 'word' when
he was learning to talk. While in the back yard, he picks up a crimson red seed pod from the cone of a magnolia tree; I ask what he has and he says 'bingle yelp'. Ever since then that's what the family has called them.

lezniack01
lezniack01 09/21/07 - 06:46 am
GOOFENTHALL -(goof in thall )

GOOFENTHALL -(goof in thall ) it is the word i use to pick at my husband and son when they are being really goofy with each other. I say "oh no! they are hopped up on goofenthall again!" Its amazing to me to have a teenager who still wants to hang out and be goofy with Dad.

williammorriss
williammorriss 09/21/07 - 12:13 pm
PLRK: Because we all try to

PLRK:
Because we all try to find ways to play at our work, (jobs), and most often work hard at our play, (hobbies), my family uses the term PLRK; it is pronounced PLIRK, but we spell the word PLRK. It combines the best of two things necessry to a balanced life - play and work; work and play. Think about sports and how hard participants work at playing a game; besides such participants are referred to as players, not workers; same is true for playing a musical instrument; one does not work music, one plays music; in other words, no matter how hard one works at a sport, you are still playing a game; no matter how hard someone works at music, he/she is still playing an instrument; additionally, who claimed to be the hardest working man in show business? Actually, JB was a PLRKer and did not know it! Those of us who find ways to incorporate some play at our work (job), and discover an activity we can work hard at learning how to play(hobby), are the happiest people I know. My family members have adopted this PLRK perspective of life and therefore are very content with both their work and their play. PLRK, think about it!

Livingtheproblem
Livingtheproblem 09/21/07 - 12:14 pm
MALKIT:(m all kit) My 2yr old

MALKIT:(m all kit) My 2yr old son came up with this one. It means chocolate milk backwards.

RLWebb
RLWebb 09/22/07 - 07:26 pm
FLIPPER-DIPPER : This is our

FLIPPER-DIPPER : This is our word for the TV remote control. We've used it for at least 20 years, but no one can remember who used it first

polaris1400
polaris1400 09/23/07 - 08:05 am
Surcie-it means a surprise or

Surcie-it means a surprise or gift.

"Did you bring we a surcie?"

cricketflea
cricketflea 09/23/07 - 08:29 am
PHLECK (flek) meaning

PHLECK (flek) meaning something very nasty. I came up with this word about ten years ago when my son walked in the house with some really gross concoction from the yard. "Oooo, gross! That had to have been the most phleck oatmeal I ever put in my mouth!"

cricketflea
cricketflea 09/23/07 - 08:30 am
ZAPPER The word we use for a

ZAPPER The word we use for a remote control. "Has anyone seen the Zapper?"

cricketflea
cricketflea 09/23/07 - 08:33 am
DOTDOG - When my son, now 17,

DOTDOG - When my son, now 17, was learing to talk, he could not say hotdog, he said dotdog. "I want a DOTDOG for lunch, please."

sbear
sbear 09/23/07 - 02:24 pm
SERIOUSLY - My husband jokes

SERIOUSLY - My husband jokes a lot and many times it is difficult to know if he is telling the truth. If we have doubts, all we have to say is "seriously" and he will say "yes" or no."

walkedit
walkedit 09/23/07 - 03:24 pm
Wondermous--one step greater

Wondermous--one step greater than wonderful :)

surety
surety 09/23/07 - 10:00 pm
Our secret word is

Our secret word is diddleyboo. It means that someone has done you wrong or gotten over on you. For example when you loan your son your car full of gas, he brings it back empty and you are unaware until you start the car up and realize that it's now empty. You've been diddleyboo'd... Or when your cousin asks you to babysit for an hour and she doesnt return until the next day, you've been diddleyboo'd. When speaking of these instances with other family members, we say he/she did a diddleyboo on me. It's interchangeable as verb or noun.

HisChild
HisChild 09/24/07 - 12:10 pm
JANK - When something isn't

JANK - When something isn't right or is messed up. Like when you're typing with the fingers on the wrong keys and everything comes out wrong; the result is janked or janky.

slandeve
slandeve 09/24/07 - 12:27 pm
Black dogged - when you are

Black dogged - when you are so full you can not eat another bite.
A sweet, stray non-descript black dog came to our house, so my father decided to feed it. He gave the dog several cans of food, and could not fill the dog up. This continued for several days.
My dad decided to see just how much this dog would eat. He opened the first can of dog food into a dog bowl - the dog ate the whole can in 1 bite. The second can - the dog ate it again in 1 bite. Third can - it took 2 bites. Fourth can - the dog looked at it for a while, then ate it in 4 or 5 bites. Fifth can - the dog looked at it, walked away, then came back and ate it - very slowly - in many bites. Sixth can - the dog looked at it, walked away, walked back to it, walked away again, walked back to it, and then just curled up around the dog bowl and laid there: he had officially "black dogged" on the dog food.

mgray
mgray 09/24/07 - 03:34 pm
Lasterday - our son

Lasterday - our son introduced this to us when he was a toddler. He obviously got "yesterday" and "last night" confused - so now our new family word for the previous day's events: "It happened lasterday."

M. Gray

beeing.myself
beeing.myself 09/25/07 - 12:39 pm
Woobie - Woobie has long been

Woobie - Woobie has long been an endearment between my husband and I since we saw the movie "Mr. Mom" starring Michael Keaton. Woobie is the name of the security blanket that the young boy had and could not give up. My husband has called me his Woobie ever since, because he likens me to his own private security blanket. It's been 15 years and I'm still his Woobie.

debwind
debwind 09/25/07 - 05:43 pm
Doing a Debbie - I am always

Doing a Debbie - I am always spilling something down the front of my clothes and my husband starting saying this if anyone spilled something on their clothes.

GaMedic
GaMedic 09/25/07 - 07:56 pm
Hoopy-Doo- It is a lackluster

Hoopy-Doo- It is a lackluster "Hoorah!" ,when something happens that no really cares about we say "well Hoopy-Doo!".

skel3tor1
skel3tor1 09/25/07 - 09:52 pm
Chucklehead - A name for

Chucklehead - A name for someone who does something totally "special" in the retarded sense. Has evolved into an affectionate pet name, but the initial use is still used when observing something "special" :P

ARC to honor 1956 championship team

Because the championship year of 1956 has never lost its glory in Richmond Academy football lore, the team will be honored Thursday at the third annual ARC Hall of Fame banquet, where 10 alumni ...