Underwear should be kept under there

Regarding IdiAmin DeVaughn's letter and his fashion statement ("Sagging pants are just fashion statement," Sept. 14): Nowhere did he use the word "underwear," and that seems to be a point he is missing.

Walking around with your pants almost to your knees and your underwear showing is not a fashion statement in any society. It comes from prisons. Showing your underwear is no more a cultural expression than loud music (noise in most cases) is freedom of cultural expression.

Mr, DeVaughn questioned an ordinance against sagging pants. Does he think that, just maybe, the practice is disgusting and offensive to the majority of people - thus the need for an ordinance? Just maybe? He says there are attacks on "African-Americans' fashion-forward creativity." Save it.

I don't know what has clouded his reasoning, but let's try this again slowly. There are only three syllables to work through: un-der-wear. Underwear is clothing worn beneath outer clothes and not normally shown in public. Check the dictionary. Better yet, keep all underwear where it cannot be seen, and find some other expression of intelligence.

John Gasko, Martinez

bone
bone 09/19/07 - 06:00 am
saggin' is a way to show your

saggin' is a way to show your cultural pride. their underwear is symbolic of the struggles that their people have gone thru to earn respect. we MUST learn to judge people as equals and not let the sight of their underwear lead us to suspect they are somehow not as intellectually capable as those who wear their britches fitted at the waist. grillz are also a fine addition to fashion-forward sensibilities; when combined with saggin', you have fine representative of the best aspects a culture has to give a society. forget out-of-wedlock births, low education, and lack of property ownership: look to fashion as the next battleground that can produce a victory for culture!

wise ole man
wise ole man 09/19/07 - 06:49 am
"forget out of wedlock

"forget out of wedlock births, low education and lack of property ownership"? What a cop out- Bone. Society HAS forgotten all these social ills and now we have an epidemic of social misfits which we can not get a hold of. There are more teenage mothers on welfare than there are married. Almost as many people on welfare as can meet the A-RC budget and the education in RC is near the bottom of one of the poorest educated States in the USA. Why is that? In all of the history books I have seen, I have yet to see underwear exposed and tin-foiled covered teeth displayed by the slaves. If people of any color want respect, they need to earn it and they need to present themselves as if they deserve it. As pointed out in the LTE, the garments are called UNDERWEAR which in any languauge or culture means a garment to be worn under something. When you look at the person descirbed by Bone, you see someone who could care less how they represent themselves. People- take pride in who you are. i've yet to see a laywer, teacher, banker or doctor wear pants where the crotch hangs to their to toes and their teeth look like a Christmas tree. Dress for success- not a gang initiation.

hopeful
hopeful 09/19/07 - 07:54 am
humpty dumpty...well said. I

humpty dumpty...well said. I get so tired of hearing "freedom to express yourself" thats great..go for it, but have a little bit of respect for yourself. You don't see women walking around with their pants around their knees.

Fishboy
Fishboy 09/19/07 - 08:16 am
Nice SARCASM, Bone. I got

Nice SARCASM, Bone. I got it.

ibade
ibade 09/19/07 - 08:43 am
i agree with you humpty

i agree with you humpty dumpty.what ever happen to self respect.if saggy pants comes from prison, why would you want to dress like that. there's nothing cool about being in prison.go and ask some of them, they will tell you if they had their time to live over. they would not be in there.i pray they do pass the bill.i get on to my grandson.he knows not to wear them around me. and the ladies out there don't show to much, show some respect.child molester are everywhere.i'm not saying thats the reason they do that,because they are sick people.i'm just saying we as women get dogged out quicker than men do.so we as women have to stick together when it comes to fashion.just because it's out there don't mean we have to wear it.

backpage
backpage 09/19/07 - 08:49 am
grouse: Agreed, there must be

grouse: Agreed, there must be something else in this world for us to worry about.

Daddyrabbit
Daddyrabbit 09/19/07 - 09:18 am
Bone, Saggin pants is NOT a

Bone, Saggin pants is NOT a statement of a struggle of any sort except to look like a complete slob that was spawned in the gutter someplace. I guess if they can continue this soon they won't even be wearing underwear. HOWEVER, that could be beneficial and when their butt is showing it will make everyone rememter to SAY NO TO CRACK! Do you wear your clothes like that? Maybe you're just trying to not look out of place while giving the 'ol prision come and get it signal.

Daddyrabbit
Daddyrabbit 09/19/07 - 09:22 am
By the way, Look at the name

By the way, Look at the name Idiamin DeVaughn.....It's more than likely a phony name fabricated by some kit who just wants to show his butt

jungletobacco
jungletobacco 09/19/07 - 10:25 am
I sag my pants cause I want

I sag my pants cause I want to, it doesnt affect no one. But some how people find a way to make seem that if you sag your pants you are a bad person. Imagine going to court cause you sag your pants. Next- grills, big T's, dreads, braids and big rims. How about thongs being exposed? That [filtered word] is sexy!

wise ole man
wise ole man 09/19/07 - 12:52 pm
Jungletobacco makes a good

Jungletobacco makes a good case for why these extremes need to be eliminated- they dumb down society.

lochan
lochan 09/19/07 - 01:30 pm
Some people should learn how

Some people should learn how to spell and write properly before writing in a public forum. Otherwise they only make it appear that they paid no attention to anything in school at all. Or that they ever went to school. English was the language spoken in this country the last time I checked.

And I DO think thongs are Underwear! I don't believe they should be shown any more than boxer shorts are. Or bra straps.

I came from the "so called Hippie Generation". I did not bring home any Fatherless children, go out of the house half dressed, or change clothes once I got out the door either. You can be a part of a time without being an addict to every fad that comes along.

Bell Bottom pants did came back, so did carpenter pants and half the clothes I saw in the Mall in the 60's and 70's. But the people have certainly changed!

jack
jack 09/19/07 - 02:27 pm
Like I have said on this

Like I have said on this subject before, showing your crack/drawers is nothing but a sign of disrespect for the public around you. As for what young girls wear these days, it isn't much better with pants cut to show their crack(s) and shirts to show their navel (pierced of course). As for thongs, they are nothing but nasty butt floss. I fully support an ordnance against showing one's crack in public.

karmakills123
karmakills123 09/19/07 - 03:59 pm
LOL bone..... it's tough if

LOL bone..... it's tough if you gotta explain it.....sarcasm is a lost art on these discussions.

JohnQPublic
JohnQPublic 09/19/07 - 10:45 pm
Just some fads that will fade

Just some fads that will fade out over time. But you gotta love those grillz...especially when the kids never remove them to brush their teeth. Yuck! Nothing like a handsome guy with a mouth full of rotted teeth. And the guys who drive all bent to the side with their music blasting. When they get older they'll be all bent up and deaf.