Police seek murder suspects

AIKEN - Aiken County authorities are still searching for a Graniteville man and an Aiken man both charged with murder in unrelated fatal shooting cases.

On June 24, Aiken County sheriff's deputies found 18-year-old Najee Preister bleeding from a gunshot wound in front of a mobile home in the T&S Mobile Home park on Shenandoah Street. He died later that evening at Medical College of Georgia Hospital of severe blood loss.

The sheriff's office has an arrest warrant for 24-year-old Koran M. Sapp, of Graniteville, in Mr. Priester's death.

Authorities have no new leads on Mr. Sapp, who has eluded police for nearly three months, said Lt. Michael Frank, the spokesman for the sheriff's office.

Sheriff's investigators arrested Mr. Sapp's father, Koran M. Glover, on June 29 on allegations that he helped his son evade police. Authorities charged the 44-year-old Gloverville man with accessory after the fact.

Police said that Mr. Glover, knowing his son was wanted for murder, refused to help investigators and urged others to obstruct the investigation and the search.

Sheriff Michael Hunt said in a statement that the shooting was in apparent retaliation for an armed robbery involving one of Mr. Sapp's relatives.

In the other incident, 20-year-old Prince E. Shand Jr. died of blood loss last week from gunshot wounds. Police are still looking for the alleged shooter.

"We still have not found Morris Dorch," Lt. Frank said. Authorities hold arrest warrants for the 19-year-old Aiken man, charging him in the death of Mr. Shand.

According to the sheriff's office, about 12:15 a.m. Wednesday, Mr. Dorch got into an argument with the victim and shot him several times with an assault rifle. Mr. Shand was pronounced dead at 1:07 a.m. at Aiken Regional Medical Centers.

Anyone with information on the whereabouts of Mr. Sapp or Mr. Dorch can call the sheriff's office at (800) 922-9709.

Reach Michelle Guffey at (803) 648-1395, ext. 110, or michelle.guffey@augustachronicle.com.

PUBLIC'S HELP REQUESTED

Investigators are still trying to determine the cause of the injuries that killed 23-year-old Christopher L. Jordan last month.

A passing motorist found Mr. Jordan lying on Mayfield Road on Aug. 16, about 40 minutes after Mr. Jordan, who lived on Mayfield Road, had returned home from an Aiken nightclub about 5:30 a.m.

Mr. Jordan was pronounced dead at 3:58 p.m. that day at Medical College of Georgia Hospital from multiple body trauma.

"Initially, the medical examiner concluded that he was not hit by an automobile, and I know our investigators have revisited that whole subject," said Lt. Michael Frank, of the Aiken County Sheriff's Office.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 09/18/07 - 04:54 am
a picture would be helpful in

a picture would be helpful in finding a person who's not advertising his name.

pofwe
pofwe 09/18/07 - 05:51 am
Right trica, police seek

Right trica, police seek these perbs but don't give us ... the public, any description or photo to assist or to protect us. Are they really wanting to find these killers or are they practicing political correctness? Damnifiknow!

heartablazing
heartablazing 09/18/07 - 06:34 am
They are trying to stay

They are trying to stay politically correct. What they actually want to say is " Any of you thugs that hang with these perps turn them in before they shoot you." Is there even a reward for these guys? I guarantee their friends would turn on them if the money was right.

opal
opal 09/18/07 - 08:32 am
Your are so right always must

Your are so right always must be polictically correct. Are these guys tall, short, fat, thin, got a grill? Pictures help people

JackReacher
JackReacher 09/18/07 - 08:36 am
Before you start blaming the

Before you start blaming the police for not providing a picture. The Chronicle routinely does not print photos, even when provided to them in the required format due to space concerns. Needless to say this does not help when the only identifiable evidence you do have is a photo or CCTV Screen Capture. Usually the TV stations are more helpful in that regard.

whitescorpion
whitescorpion 09/18/07 - 09:02 am
I didn't know you could be

I didn't know you could be arrested for "not helping" the police. I could see it if you were actively hindering an investigation, but is saying "I won't help you catch my son" a crime? Don't get me wrong, If I knew my son killed someone I would drag him kicking and screaming to the police station. Personally I try to avoid the police at all costs, and would not volunteer to help them unless it was something serious. I suspect that in this case the police had some evidence or surveilance that proved the father was helping his outlaw son (at least I hope).

tdp
tdp 09/18/07 - 10:21 am
Seven.....why would you "try

Seven.....why would you "try to avoid the police at all costs" unless you have something to hide? And helping someone who is suspected of murder evade the police is not only morally wrong, it is also criminally wrong; even if it is your child. Do you want that suspected murderer to stay on the streets long enough to murder your child or your wife? I bet you'd be screaming for police help then, wouldn't you?

whitescorpion
whitescorpion 09/18/07 - 12:13 pm
tdp... apparently you

tdp... apparently you neglected to read the "kicking and screaming" line in my post, wake up. Why would I avoid the police at all costs, your kidding right? Let me clue you in, it is the job of the police to "make a case," and get you in the system. That's it! They will lie, encourage whitnesses to lie and anything else they can do to "make their case." It's usually the police that have something to hide. First rule of dealing with police: DONT TALK TO THEM!

jl2002
jl2002 09/18/07 - 12:43 pm
If anyone pays

If anyone pays attention...there were pictures everywhere, on the news and IN THE PAPER when these crimes were committed, they don't advertise these pictures forever. I agree with Seven, it is the police job to make a case. If they haven't even found these people how can they be so guilty. It's their job to find and "make their case" let them do it. Why should the father be locked up for not doing their job for them. Hope you find them.

toppergem
toppergem 09/18/07 - 02:02 pm
If the police want to find

If the police want to find somebody, they will find them...so it must be they really aren't as interested as they claim.

FallingLeaves
FallingLeaves 09/18/07 - 03:55 pm
Toppergem I know for a fact

Toppergem I know for a fact at least one officer is more than just interested. He is exhausted, overworked and still looking. Why would you say that? Seven We need to talk to the police for them to sort out the truth. We have to try. If they do not then do what they are supposed to do, then it is their bad. If they don't believe you, that's their problem and I realize they can make it our problem. But what if something happened to you and no truthful witnesses came forward but liars did? How would you feel? What would happen to you? A nightmare.

whitescorpion
whitescorpion 09/18/07 - 05:08 pm
Something did happen to me,

Something did happen to me, and no truthful witnesses came forward, and the police did NOT care. In the end (and after 10 grand) I walked away free and clear. I got no use for the cops!

Commissioners seek attorney general's opinion on SPLOST

Two Augusta commissioners are seeking an opinion from Georgia Attorney General Sam Olens on the city's disbursement of sales tax proceeds to non-profits.