Barbee resigns post

Augusta Housing Authority member Dave Barbee has resigned from the board after two weeks of political turmoil prompted by his controversial e-mail that many considered racially offensive.

Dave Barbee has repeatedly apologized for his "poorly worded" e-mail to developers.  Andrew Davis Tucker/Staff
Andrew Davis Tucker/Staff

Mr. Barbee voluntarily submitted his resignation to Augusta Mayor Deke Copenhaver after meeting for almost two hours Sunday with the mayor and the authority's chairman.

Mr. Barbee said Monday his work with the housing authority was done, and that he would say nothing else.

Mr. Barbee has apologized repeatedly for what he called his "poorly worded" e-mail to developer brothers Clay and Braye Boardman.

He stated in the e-mail that the evacuation of the Gilbert Manor housing project to make room for expansion of the Medical College of Georgia, coupled with planned upscale downtown condominium developments, would increase the white population in the area.

The e-mail was leaked and state Sen. Ed Tarver sent it to the mayor suggesting he ask for Mr. Barbee's resignation, which the mayor immediately did.

In a Monday news release, Mr. Copenhaver said, "I understand that Mr. Barbee has served faithfully as a commissioner on the board for two years.

"He has expressed to me his sincere regret for the inappropriate wording of his recent e-mail. He apologizes to anyone in the Augusta community that he may have inadvertently offended. I have accepted his apology and with God's help, may we forgive and move forward as a community of trust and hope."

Reach Sylvia Cooper at (706) 823-3228 or sylvia.cooper@augustachronicle.com.

ghughes51
ghughes51 09/18/07 - 01:41 am
Another individual who tried

Another individual who tried to make Augusta better laid at the alter of political correctness. What a shame and we wonder why we have no new leaders.

pablanco
pablanco 09/18/07 - 02:58 am
What a shame! a good WHITE

What a shame! a good WHITE man loses his job due to a grammatical error. I reckon the brother should have written in ebonics instead.

wildman
wildman 09/18/07 - 03:19 am
Dave worked for the good of

Dave worked for the good of people, thank God I don't live in Richmond Co. Mayor, you folded and let a good one get away.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 09/18/07 - 03:58 am
This man was forced to retire

This man was forced to retire because of some of the most obvious p.c. distortions I've seen. Sometimes Augusta is the racist pile of crap critics claim it to be. It's times like this I'm ashamed of my city.

bone
bone 09/18/07 - 04:22 am
glad he's gone. had he

glad he's gone. had he stayed, blacks would have had a target for their racist ire. now we can all just get along, right?

bullbatt
bullbatt 09/18/07 - 04:29 am
what a shame, the mayor has

what a shame, the mayor has proven he will submit to politically correctness when it is the eeasiy way. I am amoung those that are really happy i have left the cess pool called Richmond county and its Political "leaders"

pofwe
pofwe 09/18/07 - 05:12 am
Well Mr. Barbee at least you

Well Mr. Barbee at least you know who your friends are NOT! Clay & bro' Boardman are not ones to confide in, they have no sense of comradery to us commoners.

GoKnights1
GoKnights1 09/18/07 - 05:27 am
Dave, it is an absolute shame

Dave, it is an absolute shame things have come to this. Once again a Republican does the honorable and PC thing. But I promise you next time it will be a democrat and he will get away with murder. You gotta love Augusta.

amazed1
amazed1 09/18/07 - 05:30 am
it sounds to me like someone

it sounds to me like someone should fix the leaks.

Vulcan_Rider
Vulcan_Rider 09/18/07 - 05:34 am
Just like Vick, its a race

Just like Vick, its a race thing. Has nothing to do with what he did or did not do...right?

jaymackdee
jaymackdee 09/18/07 - 05:36 am
Political Correctness or not,

Political Correctness or not, It is ironic that comments that are written in private always come out in the light. It is a travesty that in this current day, so called leaders don't have sense enough to use restraint in everyday prose to euphemize their true feelings about the community that we all have to live. Like the old saying goes, "the first reaction is always the correct one". It is refreshing that the internet has keep us so far apart eventhough, this mode of communication is the digital divide that bonds our society!!!!

Comments From A Concerned Georgian

shivas
shivas 09/18/07 - 05:49 am
jaymackdee, you hit the nail

jaymackdee, you hit the nail on the head. Barbee should have resigned on sheer ignorance alone. This is not PC folks, but making comments that open the door for interpretation of a completely racist attitude, and action based upon that attitude. Whether he meant it or not, he should have enough political savy in expressing his views.

Sir William
Sir William 09/18/07 - 05:50 am

Thank you Mr Barbee for the good that you have done for our community. I hope tha you may still be interested in serving our community again one day.

JimCox
JimCox 09/18/07 - 05:52 am
The real question in all this

The real question in all this is did Ed Tarver commit an ethics violation by making the email public in the first place. As the housing authority's attorney, where exactly is the line between that role and his role as an elected official? I sincerely hope a bar complaint is lodged and the attorney/client privilege question is answered. I also hope that Dave's next project is to lead the charge to "unconsolidate" Augusta-Richmond County, it is past time to put that failed experiment to rest.

shivas
shivas 09/18/07 - 05:57 am
e-mail is part of the public

e-mail is part of the public record when you work for the govt. Mr. BArbee was on a govt. board, so no violation.

PantherPride
PantherPride 09/18/07 - 06:01 am
Augusta is dead. Wake up and

Augusta is dead. Wake up and figure it out.

justus4
justus4 09/18/07 - 06:09 am
Good riddance. Now, who will

Good riddance. Now, who will replace this guy? Watch out for the trick thats sure to come. And what is the racial makeup of this group. Don't tell me its a bunch of ya hoos deciding for minorities, because THATS the problem. His environment influenced his thoughts, but how many more think the same way? This is troubling!

Dedicated
Dedicated 09/18/07 - 06:11 am
Let me make sure I understand

Let me make sure I understand this controversy and why all the turmoil.....Barbee wrote that if we remove Gilbert Manor, a low income housing project, and build upscale condominiums, less minorities will live in the area.....DUH!

CSRAider
CSRAider 09/18/07 - 06:13 am
I have lived in the area most

I have lived in the area most all my life. This is just what Augusta likes. To spend time complaining about what somebody has done or not done. Instead The leaders in Augusta should get to work and get things done make a few mistakes move on but get something done. stop worring about who is not getting theirs!!! GET SOMETHING DONE WORTH WHILE!!!! One thing Devaney did was get things done without worring about his rep. so much as to slow him down!!!!

WISE-OLE-OWL
WISE-OLE-OWL 09/18/07 - 06:14 am
Lincoln freed the blacks from

Lincoln freed the blacks from bodily bondage, which was the right thing to do. Regretfully, many of them have voluntarily enslaved themselves to reverse discrimation, suspicion and bigotry.

If one is white and/or Republician, is seems that he or she is assumed to be guilty and pressured to prove him/herself innocent.

And, some people wonder why Richmond is waning while Columbia is rising. Augusta deserves better!!

JimCox
JimCox 09/18/07 - 06:27 am
Shivas, Attorneys I have

Shivas, Attorneys I have spoken with here and in Atlanta don't agree with your analysis.

LadyCisback
LadyCisback 09/18/07 - 06:28 am
I am seeing this happen too

I am seeing this happen too often lately. The truth is told and yet the truth tellers are the ones to pay the price.. There is something wrong!!

2tired2argueanymore
2tired2argueanymore 09/18/07 - 06:48 am
Its not about right or wrong

Its not about right or wrong but who's on your side. This si the precise reason the Ellis street option will fail, because we don't care about fixing problems we only care about black and white and who can we get next. Seems the Mayor is trying to play good politics and avoid getting caught in the sights for standing up for something.

reallybugged
reallybugged 09/18/07 - 06:55 am
He should have known better

He should have known better than say or think something like that. What he should have said "that the evacuation of the Gilbert Manor housing project to make room for expansion of the Medical College of Georgia, coupled with planned upscale downtown condominium developments, would increase the economy of the downtown Augusta area." That is not a racist statement, because white people are not the only people that have or like to spend their money. Why do people presume that only white people have money.

reallybugged
reallybugged 09/18/07 - 06:55 am
He should have known better

just me
just me 09/18/07 - 07:10 am
I can tell by the comments

I can tell by the comments there is nothing but a bunch of racist people in Augusta. It is not about bringing more whites downtown it is about making Augusta better if that was the only reason why he was doing it then I AM GLAD HE IS GONE.

BoldTruth
BoldTruth 09/18/07 - 07:11 am
It is amazing how everytime

It is amazing how everytime something happens it is different across racial lines. I don't care if you are black, white or anyother color, Mr. Barbee should have known that his comments would stir-up controversy. He's not new to this political game. He should have used his education and worded his comments better.

work for a living
work for a living 09/18/07 - 07:17 am
I think the saddest part of

I think the saddest part of all of this is this man apologized for something that someone else took out of context. At least he was the bigger man and did apologize even though he truly in his heart did no wrong, his spoken words just didn't come out correct. How many times have you seen so called pastors in our political arena apologize, I can't think of any. It is sad when a man apologizes and we say we forgive him but then we won't give him another chance. I sure hope some of these so called men of God don't need forgiveness anytime soon, they just might be surprised. God didn't say well Jesus died on the cross so your/our sins would not be forgiven but that because we sin we could still go to heaven. Is that not a second chance every day for us sinners. It sure amazes me how many are so quick to cast the first stone around Augusta when they themselves live in fragile glass houses. I think we need many more prayer mornings around our Municipal building because Augusta is going to HELL in a handbasket.

mgroothand
mgroothand 09/18/07 - 07:18 am
Quote: "The e-mail was leaked

Quote: "The e-mail was leaked and state Sen. Ed Tarver sent it to the mayor suggesting he ask for Mr. Barbee's resignation, which the mayor immediately did". Political Correctness is an infectious and deadly disease that is killing this country and our community. Apparently without further ado, the mayor immediately asked for Mr. Barbee's resignation without further examing the issue or discussing it with Mr. Barbee. After all, a black politician makes a suggestion and it is immediately granted, no discussion needed. My once high opinion of Deke has has dropped many notches.

karmakills123
karmakills123 09/18/07 - 07:25 am
Mine too

Mine too mgroothand..........I will have a hard time defending him in the future.....sorry Deke you blew it on this one.

Lincoln County deputies injured breaking up fight

Two Lincoln County deputies were treated at an Augusta Hospital after being injured breaking up a fight at a party at an American Legion building in Lincolnton.