Note: Announcements for participatory events must be written, delivered, mailed or faxed to The Augusta Chronicle, P.O. Box 1928, Augusta, GA 30903-1928, with a return address and phone number. No phone calls are accepted. Fax number: (706) 823-3408. The announcements will be published weekly.
- The Augusta Museum of History will present its next monthly Brown Bag History Series on Oct. 3, at 11:30 a.m. The speaker will be Don Rhodes, who will give a lecture on the life and times of Augusta's own Ty Cobb. The monthly programs are free to museum members or $3 for non-members. Participants should bring a lunch. The museum will provide beverages and dessert. Refreshments will be served beginning at 11:30 a.m. in the rotunda, with the lecture to follow in the History Theater. The museum is located at 560 Reynolds St. in downtown Augusta.
- The Georgia Elite 11-under AAU travel baseball team is looking for players for the 2007-08 season. Players must not turn 12 before May 1, 2008. Please contact Brian Watts at (706) 651-1717; Wayne Watts at (706) 651-8056 or Ron Carter at (706) 210-0324.
- The Dip Metress Basketball Academy will play host to a two-day clinic Friday and Saturday. The academy's director is Dip Metress, head men's basketball coach at Augusta State. The co-ed clinic is open to all boys and girls from first through ninth grade. Camp will run from 6 to 9 p.m. Friday and 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday. The cost of the camp is $50 and includes lunch on Saturday and a t-shirt. Please bring a basketball. Enrollment is limited to the first 50 people who sign up. For more information, contact Metress at (706) 667-4765 or by e-mail at email@example.com.
- The Shoot for Abstinence Basketball Clinic will be held Saturday, from 9 a.m.-2 p.m., at Riverview Park in North Augusta. There will be free t-shirts. Free lunch will also be provided. For more information, call Sam Ward at (706) 312-2200.
- The Greater Augusta Sports Council will hold its seventh annual College Basketball Preseason Tip-Off on Oct. 4, at 11:45 a.m. The event will be held at Augusta Marriott Hotel and Suites. Special guests include Tubby Smith, the men's basketball coach at the University of Minnesota, and Marvin Vanover, the recently retired Peach Belt Conference commissioner. RSVP by Sept. 28, to P.O. Box 1331, Augusta, Ga., 30903. The cost is $25 for council members and $35 for non-members, while a membership and luncheon combined can be purchased for $60 (a $15 savings). A council member table of eight is $195, while a non-member table of eight is $275. For more information, visit www.augustasportscouncil.org or call (706) 722-TEAM, ext. 231.
- The Augusta Boxing Club will present open-to-the-public sparring matches the last Thursday of each month at the Augusta Boxing Club, located at 1929 Walton Way. There is no charge for attending, and the public is welcome. Boxing for the Sept. 27 date will start at 5:30 p.m. Adult boxers must weigh in the previous Monday, and youth must weigh in on Tuesday to be eligible to spar. For more information, call Tom Moraetes at (706) 733-7533.
- The Alleluia Community School senior class will hold a Dodgeball Fundraising Tournament in October. The event will run all day at the Alleluia School Gymnasium, located at 2819 Peach Orchard Road in Augusta. Teams will consist of five members, with a possible sixth-member substitute. Coed teams are allowed. Players must be 14 years or older. Each player will pay a $5 entry fee. The start time for the first game will depend on how many teams register. When you have a team, e-mail Tim Eyrich at firstname.lastname@example.org to get registration paperwork. Prizes will be given out for first- and second-place team members.
- The Augusta Fencers Club is taking registration for fall classes in beginning foil fencing. The 10-week course meets once a week for an hour, and the cost is $150. All competitive gear is provided. Adult class (ages 13 and up) meets Thursdays at 6 p.m. Classes meet at the Fencers Club, located at 134 Ninth St. in downtown Augusta. Contact the club at (706) 722-8878 or online at www.augustafencers.com to register or for more information.
- There will be an important parent/player meeting Sept. 24, at 7 p.m. in the cafeteria at Greenbrier High School. All parents and players for both boys and girls teams are strongly encouraged to attend.
- The Augusta Rowing Club offers a monthly learn to row program for adults. For information, call David Young at (803) 279-6302 or visit www.augustarowingclub.org.
- A new men's six-a-side soccer league is being formed at Patriots Park. The league is for ages 18 and up and games will be played on Sundays. The cost for a team is $750. For more information, contact Ricky Sanders at (706) 306-2759.