There's more to China's tainted goods than meets the eye

Significant things do not occur in China without the knowledge, probable complicity and likely action of the government.

We have seen the rising negative trade balance over the past several years, as well as toxic toothpaste, toxic pet food, toxic seafood, millions of toys containing lead, baby bibs with lead and now clothing contaminated with formaldehyde.

This ruins not only our business sector but poisons the minds of our people.

What is next, and when will we wake up to what is taking place?

H.G. Barclay

Evans

soldout
soldout 09/16/07 - 08:02 am
The Bible warns against any

The Bible warns against any contract made with a non-Christian. This is whether it is individual or a country. We should expect a heathen to act like a heathen. When you or I have no moral basis for doing things or accountability to God we will sometimes find a way to cheat if we think it is to our financial advantage. Whether it be our income tax, buying an item, using it and returning for a refund etc. Then we expect others, even countries who have no Christian values to always do the right thing. We are fools and given enough situations in life we will get burned. The Bible is perfection and God's wisdom will keep a person , a business or a country or the right path.

dixiechick007
dixiechick007 09/16/07 - 08:13 am
If it is made in China then I

If it is made in China then I just simply don't buy it.

karmakills123
karmakills123 09/16/07 - 08:34 am
Same here dixiechick....I am

Same here dixiechick....I am searching online for American made toys for the grandkids.........no more fisher price...or barbies..ect...... I think I am going to save a lot of money this Christmas.....this just may be a good thing no more outragious spending during the holidays.

deportem
deportem 09/16/07 - 09:48 am
Every time we buy something

Every time we buy something made in China, a portion of that money goes to China's military. The USA and the E.U. (European Union) are helping China arm for the next conflict. Finding something "made in America" is becoming more and more difficult to find due to our failed trade policies. Pretty soon, the only thing made in America will be us and our kids.

deekster
deekster 09/16/07 - 10:27 am
Asian countries have not

Asian countries have not "patent laws". Our government knew this going into this "Pacific Rim" partnership. They do what is called " reverse engineering". Look at WAL MART's line of toys. They are "copied versions" of name brands ( knock offs) Asia is a "knock-off" world. Korea first autos were made on and old Nissan line from Japan. Nissan first uesd a GM line to make cars. Pacific Rim, Nafta and Cafta were all part of a "Global Economy" at the expense of an "American Economy". And it ain't gonna get any better.

deekster
deekster 09/16/07 - 10:31 am
Our "Military Industrial

Our "Military Industrial Complex" has sold us down the river. We live in a land of government of global interest, by global interest and for global interest.

fd1962
fd1962 09/16/07 - 10:56 am
Purvis, congratulations on

Purvis, congratulations on interjecting the Bible into this issue. Just the solution for dealing with the other 95% of the world's population, most of whom are non-Christians. USA may no longer be the center of the universe, but most of us aren't quite ready for a return to the Stone Age just yet. I've found contracts with non-Christians far more dependable in general than with those who are constantly reminding me what Big Christians they are. Get real.

gcap
gcap 09/16/07 - 02:38 pm
If China wants to become a

If China wants to become a member of the word's free market, it's products must meet the needs and standards of other countries. Since their products don't meet the standards, we should not buy them. And we should tell the American companies whose products are made in China that we won't buy their stuff. My guess, though, is that for as long as the price is low, we'll buy their chemically laced products.

ohhsweetconcord
ohhsweetconcord 09/16/07 - 05:41 pm
I know I'll continue to buy

I know I'll continue to buy Chinese products because they're cheaper. OH NO!? How dare I say such a thing? Do some of you people think American products are inherently better because they're...uh...American? Or is this just an opportunity to punish a rising country. I'm thinking this has more to do with the fact Americans are afraid of loosing their spot as the #1 country and some strong xenophobic tendencies then with actually quality concerns. And when are some of the people on this board going to become informed on this issue of trade. Most of you people continue to spew ignorant, semi-racist comments toward other countries without the slightest idea about the effects of global trade. Try following this advice: If you don't know anything about trade, then don't say anything concerning it. Just shut up, you're not adding anything to the conversation.

johnsmith
johnsmith 09/16/07 - 08:44 pm
ohsweet...you must be joking.

ohsweet...you must be joking. Lead on the baby's toys, poison in the dog food, poison in the toothpaste, and feeding fresh chicken crap to shrimp...how are these examples of Americans trying to "punish a rising country"? When AMERICAN spinach producers let e. coli into the salad bar, they were "punished" by the market. You are free to buy all the Chinese products you want. I will continue to push for my local retailers to identify American-made products, the way WalMart used to do when Sam was alive and it grew to be the biggest company in the world. So, no, I won't "shut up," and I won't accept your characterization of me as "semi-racist." I boycott white people who produce shoddy or dangerous merchandise...would it not be racist if I did not apply the same standards to the Chinese? You, on the other, hand, appear to be less-than-informed on the subject of trade, since you don't seem to accept the underlying principle of voluntary contracts, freely entered into. That said, purvis' "contribution" was just...well, I can't say anything nice, so I won't say anything at all...

pointstoponder
pointstoponder 09/16/07 - 10:04 pm
China has solved their toxic

China has solved their toxic waste problem. They sell it to us one Barbie at a time.

ohhsweetconcord
ohhsweetconcord 09/16/07 - 10:45 pm
johnsmith, stop trying to

johnsmith, stop trying to paint this as a voluntary issue. This has nothing to do with voluntary transactions and everything to do with placing tariffs or trade embargoes on Chinese goods. But even if this was about voluntary transactions, the issue is completely soaked with anti-Chinese sentiment. Federal import regulators frequently note that they encounter faulty Mexican and Indian goods far more than Chinese goods. Yet, there is no major backlash against the goods coming from those countries. Yes, you have every right to not buy Chinese goods, but please do so for educated and rational reasons.

Reality
Reality 09/17/07 - 06:41 am
As much as I would like to, I

As much as I would like to, I don't think you can just buy American...We don't produce everything here like we use too.