Convicted killer up for parole

The mother of a murdered child isn't alone this week in her efforts to stop the parole of one of the convicted killers.

Nathan Brown is in prison for kidnapping and killing two people in 1976.  Special
Special
Nathan Brown is in prison for kidnapping and killing two people in 1976.

In addition to letters from her family, the State Board of Pardons and Paroles will hear from prosecutors from two judicial circuits and family members of people killed in Augusta three decades ago.

Nathan Brown, 50, was initially convicted and sentenced to death in Taliaferro County along with Jose High and Judson Ruffin.

The three men robbed a Crawfordville gas station July 26, 1976; kidnapped Henry Phillips and his 11-year-old stepson, Bonnie Bulloch; and shot both in the head on a deserted country road.

Mr. Brown's and Mr. Ruffin's death sentences were reversed on appeal, and each was resentenced to life in prison.

Mr. High was executed Nov. 6, 2001, for Bonnie's murder.

Before the three killers were caught for the Taliaferro County crimes, detectives contend they and a fourth man were involved in a violent crime spree of murder, rape and robbery in Augusta.

Toombs Circuit District Attorney Dennis Sanders, who prosecuted Bonnie's killers and wrote to the parole board this week, said it took so long to connect the crimes because they seemed so random.

There wasn't any motive; the men just wanted to experience how it felt to murder people, Mr. Sanders said.

In Augusta on Aug. 20, 1976, Willean Hall, 36, and Leroy Linwood, 30, were attacked near Bush Field. Mr. Brown told investigators the group killed Mr. Linwood before raping Ms. Hall and killing her.

On Aug. 22, 1976, according to another member of the group, Alphonso Morgan, the men were coming back from a beer run across the Savannah River when they spotted John C. Gray, 54. He was taken to a spot near the airport and shot to death.

All four men were indicted in Richmond County in those murders, said District Attorney Danny Craig, who wrote to the parole board in opposition to Mr. Brown's possible parole.

Mr. Morgan was the only defendant tried for the Augusta crimes. He was convicted and is serving a life sentence.

In a letter to parole officials, Mr. Brown wrote that he is no longer the same person.

"I have never tried to evade my wrong, nor responsibility in this crime. I would simply like to appeal for a second chance," Mr. Brown wrote in May.

He wrote that he has a clean disciplinary record in prison and that he earned his GED and took about two years worth of college classes. He trained to be an audio technician and is a chaplain aide.

Mr. Brown also wrote that he was in the first graduating class of a faith and character-based program and now mentors others in the program.

Bonnie's mother, Hazel Phillips, said her desire to see Mr. Brown spend the rest of his life in prison isn't driven by hatred or revenge, but by fear. She believes he is a serial killer who will kill again if given the chance.

According to the statements the killers gave, they laughed after shooting Bonnie and his stepfather, Mrs. Phillips noted. Mr. Brown was relaxed enough to fall asleep on the drive back to Augusta.

Mr. Craig dug through old files last week and found copies of the confessions. He attached Mr. Brown's to the letter he wrote to the parole board.

"The irrefutable evidence of the inhumanity of Nathan Brown toward his many victims is mind-boggling. His criminality is that of a vicious psychopath who clearly has forfeited any right to live among innocent, productive people," Mr. Craig wrote.

In Mr. Brown's May 17 letter, he asked for reconsideration for parole or possible long-term placement in a prison halfway house.

"If given the chance," he wrote, "I can assure I won't be involved in any activities that will bring me back to prison."

Reach Sandy Hodson at (706) 823-3226 or sandy.hodson@augustachronicle.com.

WRITING LETTERS

The parole board will accept letters and e-mails about Nathan Brown's possible parole until Tuesday. Write to Victim Services Office, State Board of Pardons and Paroles, 2 Martin Luther King Jr. Drive SE, Suite 458, East Tower, Atlanta, GA 30334, or send e-mails from the board's Web site: www.pap.state.ga.us

Expect_Better
Expect_Better 09/15/07 - 12:53 am
I knew all these men who

I knew all these men who committed those horrendous crimes. I knew Jose being that we were in the same ROTC class at Richmond. I knew that he/they were not sane and/or thinking like "the rest of us." I do not believe in the death penalty but, I believe in Life Without Parole. I do not think that this man or his cohorts should be released from prison. Ever! Just my opinion.

law
law 09/15/07 - 02:19 am
If the death penalty was an

If the death penalty was an option, that is what should have been given, but since it's not an option than he shoud never ever ever be le out of prison, no matter how many times he has found "GOD" in his life. Do unto others as you would have them do unto you

Ole School
Ole School 09/15/07 - 04:18 am
THe Rule of LAw should be

THe Rule of LAw should be upheld , KEEP EM IN !

khayes7356
khayes7356 09/15/07 - 04:30 am
I believe that he should be

I believe that he should be released from prison under two conditions.
#1 he gets out as soon as his victims get up and walk out of their graves
AND
#2 that he has to live with and be supported by his lawyers for the rest of his life.

LMS2005
LMS2005 09/15/07 - 05:06 am
He should stay in for life!

He should stay in for life!

law
law 09/15/07 - 05:37 am
that's a good one Khayes7356

that's a good one Khayes7356

sTiCkMaN
sTiCkMaN 09/15/07 - 06:42 am
hmmmm.... why is he not dead

hmmmm.... why is he not dead yet?

augustisew
augustisew 09/15/07 - 07:20 am
They will say anything to get

They will say anything to get and once they are out it's all about revenge. If you do let him out give him room and board at one of the Parole Board member house.

Interested Citizen
Interested Citizen 09/15/07 - 07:42 am
I don't believe that he

I don't believe that he should even be considered for parole. Once he is out.....he will be doing the same things again. Leave him locked up....where he can't get his joys by doing evil things. I agree the Parole Board members should let him live with one of them. Let them support him.

getalife
getalife 09/15/07 - 08:15 am
Send a letter or an email to

Send a letter or an email to the parole board today!! He showed no mercy to his victims. This man will repeat the same crime again, regardless of how much "jailhouse religion he has!!

jff
jff 09/15/07 - 08:20 am
stay in jail

stay in jail

Hobie1
Hobie1 09/15/07 - 08:23 am
This guy should never be

This guy should never be alloweed to see the light of day again. First of all, he hasn't even had it rough enough for what he did. The whole time he was at the Columbia County Jail on his appeal, Sheriff Hensley let him roam around like he was some kind of a V.I.P.. The guy thought he was some kind of a celebrity...and with good reason because he was treated like one up there. It was rediculous. Parole Board Members: "Don't buy this new found Holy Rolling, Bible Thumping Crap he's selling because that's just what it is"...CRAP.

pofwe
pofwe 09/15/07 - 08:34 am
Let him out! He will be dead

Let him out! He will be dead in a matter of weeks. There are friends of his victims waiting for his return. Justice will not be denied.

MyOpinion2
MyOpinion2 09/15/07 - 08:49 am
If they releast this

If they releast this murderer, there is something seriously wrong with our justice system. PERIOD!

keepinitreal
keepinitreal 09/15/07 - 08:49 am
I knew all of those guys as

I knew all of those guys as well myself. We all went to East Augusta middle school and Richmond Academy together. We had no clue when we were in school. Jose was a family member and we still had no clue. When we finally found out about it we were in shock at how they acted as usual during school hours and were on a killing spree at night. Maybe there is redemption for doing some crimes, but I think that his saying he's not the same is not something that will not be taken lightly. I believe this is something between him and the Lord to be solved.

justputtin
justputtin 09/15/07 - 09:06 am
Killed an 11 yr old boy,

Killed an 11 yr old boy, Monsters! Leave them in jail!

Rob
Rob 09/15/07 - 09:28 am
While I don't condone the

While I don't condone the crimes these men did, nor do I support the death penalty, but he was sentence to life with the possibility of parole vs. life with no parole. He has done 31 years behind bars, Is it his fault that he didn't get the death penalty? Is it his fault that he has a possibility of parole that was given to him at sentencing? The law and the courts has spoken, he should be freed. In the meantime, think about the woman in Tn. who killed her preacher husband in cold blood and is already on the streets!

redneck einstein
redneck einstein 09/15/07 - 09:42 am
Awww. let him out. I'll take

Awww. let him out. I'll take him hunting. See, I got this rifle that just goes off sometimes and I can't help it.

hangemhigh
hangemhigh 09/15/07 - 09:49 am
I knew the victim ( John

I knew the victim ( John Gray) and his family. I witnessed the pain they went thru and still suffer today as a result of this cold blooded killer. He should stay right wherre he put himself as result of his decisions. He is the same person today as he was back then and will kill again. For the sake of these families, their children and grandchildren, keep him locked up for their protection.

WW1949
WW1949 09/15/07 - 09:53 am
Rob, the woman in TN was

Rob, the woman in TN was constantaly being beaten by her husband. How can you compare robbery and killing of innocent people to the Tn lady. Not the same and I hope you know the difference. Also, everybody in jail is innocent, so they say, and everbody finds religion. Believe that if you will but it's not true.

WAG
WAG 09/15/07 - 09:54 am
Rob maybe he can come and

Rob maybe he can come and live with you.
Yes she killed the "peracher" and she should have done it before that. You do not know what she lived in. This has nothing to do with this guy getting out of prison...

TakeAstand
TakeAstand 09/15/07 - 10:14 am
The motive is just to see how

The motive is just to see how it felt? Why would you even consider parole for people like that? Just because he is up for parole does not mean he should get it ROB. Charles Manson comes up for parole every so often.. do you want him loose too? Just because one person got off easy in another case does not mean a cold blooded serial killer who kills for the heck of it should be free. If they do let him out I think the parole board and everyone who supported him to be released should be charged as accesories if he committs any crime when he gets out!! You just better pray its not you or someone you love is his next victim.

sassygalady30
sassygalady30 09/15/07 - 10:27 am
let him die n there ..life n

let him die n there ..life n prison means he dies n there ..keep him

justus4
justus4 09/15/07 - 10:41 am
Killers are here that were

Killers are here that were never punished. He served his time and will be freed. Foolish comments should be erased, because they promote ignorance, which is plentiful in Ga.

jab0226
jab0226 09/15/07 - 11:43 am
Rob, It is alright to

Rob,

It is alright to contimplate the flaws of the justice system until it is your doorstep this monster dawns on to prey victim to someone in your family or yourself. As much as we like to visit our justice systems flaws, we must remember that it is and has been this way since the construction of it.It is our duty to protect and manage the justice system that has been created to protect us . Remember if we let beast like this back on the streets,it creates more violence by the retaliation of the victims families that have suffered this tradgic loss of loved ones to these ill-minded people.Remember selection of the right people and support of the system is how you get the result of a great justice system

jaschild
jaschild 09/15/07 - 11:43 am
what foolish comments,

what foolish comments, justus? this murderer had a death sentenced reduced to life imprisonment; now that he is up for parole, do you seriously believe he has served his time (i.e. LIFE IMPRISONMENT after first receiving the DEATH PENALTY)? as usual, your posts are so skewed towards racial bias that you'll ignore even the most obvious injustice in favor of promoting your agenda.

GNicole
GNicole 09/15/07 - 12:05 pm
Judge not and ye shall not be

Judge not and ye shall not be judged. Although, I don't condone the heinous actions of these cold-blooded killers, I do have respect for the cliche': do the crime, do the time. NOT: do the crime, do the time UNTIL THE VICTIM COMPLETES GRIEVING. My cousin was shot in cold blood as he slept. If 30 something years later, the killer was eligible for parole, I would not condemn him to hell or object to his release. He can no longer hurt me. The hurt has been done. I will only continue to hurt myself if I continue to dwell on something that cannot be changed. The judicial system is already not fair to black americans and will probably not release this inmate because the crime was committed against white americans, but I do want the people reading this blog to know that it is time to move on.
When this crime was committed, I wasn't even born. I am now a married, mother of 2 with a master's level education. Time changes everything. If you haven't found it within yourself to heal after 30 years, I would hope that you seek counseling. My father has a practice.

Knight Mom
Knight Mom 09/15/07 - 12:56 pm
hey justus4, did you call

hey justus4, did you call Rev. Al for a personal appearance at the parole hearings?

ladie
ladie 09/15/07 - 01:09 pm
please for everyone's sake

please for everyone's sake keep these men in jail!!!!!! why let them out to do the same thing ALL over again .I remember that crime spree and if any of you remember it as was i'm sure by now you have children so lets all do the right thing and keeep this (and the rest of them who were in on the crime) in jail!!!!!

jaschild
jaschild 09/15/07 - 03:06 pm
Gnicole, it has nothing to do

Gnicole, it has nothing to do with whether or not he could hurt you or your son; the killer could hurt someone else. for the sake of the public safety, KEEP THIS MURDERER IN JAIL - who cares what lies pour forth from the mouth of this snake? let God forgive him; man has already passed judgement. to bring race into this argument is the lowest possible step you could take, Gnicole: this man is an admitted murderer. yes, he is black; does this somehow excuse his actions? worse yet, because he committed his crimes against whites, are you suggesting he is less guilty of murder? what a racist you are!!! too bad you can't join the KKK - you seem to fit the profile of idiocy required for membership.

Georgia to monitor potential Ebola travelers

The new screening comes on the heels of a decision to funnel all of the travelers from Guinea, Liberia and Sierra Leone to one of five airports where CDC and airports are conducting enhanced ...