Man admits guilt as child molester

A former Augusta church choir director and teacher's aide admitted Wednesday what he has denied for years - that he is a child molester.

For taking responsibility for what he did, Superior Court Judge J. Carlisle Overstreet sentenced Carlton Johnson, 46, to eight years in prison followed by seven years on probation.

Mr. Johnson was back in court because the Georgia Court of Appeals reversed his conviction in January. The court ruled that Mr. Johnson was unfairly convicted in early 2003 because Judge Overstreet forced his defense attorney to try the case after the attorney told the judge he wasn't prepared.

Mr. Johnson's eight-year sentence was shorter than the 10-year prison term he received in January 2003 for child molestation. At that sentencing, Mr. Johnson said he believed he had been a help to the victim's family.

On Wednesday, he apologized to the victim and his parents.

In March 2002, Mr. Johnson was a choir director at Good Shepherd Baptist Church, which the 14-year-old victim attended with his family. After his sister complained to their parents that Mr. Johnson propositioned her, the boy told his parents that Mr. Johnson had committed a sex act on him.

In March 1994, Mr. Johnson was working as a teacher's aide when a parent told sheriff's investigators that Mr. Johnson had fondled a 6-year-old boy, according to reports in The Augusta Chronicle. Mr. Johnson was tried and acquitted of sexual battery in that case.

Reach Sandy Hodson at (706) 823-3226 or sandy.hodson@augustachronicle.com.

Rose
Rose 09/13/07 - 02:33 pm
The mom's boyfriend has been

The mom's boyfriend has been arrested. I wonder if the mom had tried to protect him in the past.

Art
Art 09/13/07 - 03:02 pm
These kind of child molesters

These kind of child molesters are really sick people and it is good it out in the open. I don't think he intended to Physical hurt but mentally he hurt the boys. It's to bad but i don't think they ever change but with God's help they can control there sick depraved conduct. Just one man opinion..

Rose
Rose 09/13/07 - 03:21 pm
Whether he intended to or

Whether he intended to or not, he fondled and performed a sex act on children. that is Physical AND mental abuse.I don't think the man is sick. I think he is mean as ****.

itsashame
itsashame 09/13/07 - 03:49 pm
The CSRA is the most racial

The CSRA is the most racial place that I've ever lived. If you're guilty, you're guilty, it doesn't matter what race you are.

KingJames
KingJames 09/13/07 - 04:06 pm
Itsashame, why do you think

Itsashame, why do you think so many people who can leave actually do so and never come back except to visit? We see how things are in other parts of the country and choose to live where we feel comfortable. I know that racism is not dead, not by a long shot; but it isn't as blatantly up close and personal in other areas as it is in Augusta. I follow the news carefully and hate to hear people say something happened to a black person just because they happened to be black. You don't hear people talk like that in other parts of the country. Neither do you hear people categorizing an entire race because of the actions of a few people. Other parts of the country don't group all of their poor into huge housing projects all over their downtown areas and wonder why people and businesses choose to venture to the suburbs and malls. Most other places don't try to maintain an ancient status quo based on division amongst residents, but they encourage unity because they know that one race cannot prosper unless all races are prosperous. Race will stop being an issue if/when more outsiders move to the area and assume positions of power.

ListenAndLearn
ListenAndLearn 09/13/07 - 04:41 pm
James, I agree with 99% of

James, I agree with 99% of your posts but, ever heard of Cabreeny Green(sp) in Chicago? A few years back the Mayor vowed to live there & send her kid to Public school, didn't last four hours.

KingJames
KingJames 09/13/07 - 04:53 pm
KK, anyone that's ever

KK, anyone that's ever watched the TV show Good Times has seen Cabrini-Green projects in the opening and closing credits. The point I was making was mainly about the racism in Augusta compared to cities in other parts of the country. The violence associated with housing projectes is a different topic altogether.

jonah101
jonah101 09/13/07 - 05:17 pm
In all honesty, when a man

In all honesty, when a man admits that he has molested a child, regardless if the man is black or white, that man should be sent to death. I feel this way because when a child is hurt this kind of way, there is so many things a child goes through and they can grow up to things that will affect society in the wrong way.

migmack
migmack 09/13/07 - 08:02 pm
Overstreet gives another lite

Overstreet gives another lite sentence

chey
chey 09/13/07 - 09:17 pm
Rose, I agree with you. We

Rose, I agree with you. We need to protect our children. The news story about the 6yr old girl isn't saying much other than she was tortured, sexually assaulted and murdered by this creep. The mother's live in boyfriend is the suspect. My question is, where is this child's real father? The story isn't giving much details.

puddingpie
puddingpie 09/13/07 - 10:19 pm
I know that the justice

I know that the justice system does'nt work. Here we are in 2007 and a judge will sentence a first time drug dealer to prison for 25+ years, on the same day, same judge sentence two parents to 5 years and 10 years probation for child abuse on both kids under the age of 5, not first time offenders, but this is there second time commiting abuse on a child and was told not to be around anymore children when they are released.Come on what's wrong with this picture. Here we have a grown man selling drugs to people who can fend for themselves, who come looking for the drug dealer to purchase and then we have two small children who look to mommy and daddy for protection, love and guidance and the same bastards turn around and hurt them, these innocent children did'nt asked for this and the judicial system keep working for the abusers and keep the innocent children victims because we let them back onto the streets after a couple of years to start the pattern all over again. I don't condone drug dealers but to look at the whole picture they receive more time than a person who harm small children who can't defend for themselves. Child molesters and abusers should never see the outside again!

woeisyou
woeisyou 09/14/07 - 07:55 am
they arrest you for anything

they arrest you for anything they can my g/f was arrested in my house cause i had my pills in her purse,and i was right there

whitescorpion
whitescorpion 09/14/07 - 09:21 am
notmee... that sounds so

notmee... that sounds so typical. They arrest you for "anything" they can, and even if you prevail in court you are hammered by legal expenses.

toppergem
toppergem 09/14/07 - 11:37 am
Puddingpie you said it! Put

Puddingpie you said it! Put child molesters under the jail and never let them see the light of day.

CATLOVER
CATLOVER 09/14/07 - 11:40 am
i wish we could just throw

i wish we could just throw all the molesters to the sharks and be done with it. quit wasting my taxes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CATLOVER
CATLOVER 09/14/07 - 11:41 am
as for the baggy pants-tell

as for the baggy pants-tell them to go naked, then see how many will have part of that

whitescorpion
whitescorpion 09/17/07 - 09:21 am
KingJames... you said a

KingJames... you said a mouthful. What amazes me is that those people that are in dispair (housing projects, etc) keep voting for the same people / party in office over and over again. You sound like a tuned in guy.

KingJames
KingJames 09/17/07 - 11:38 am
Seven, they vote for the same

Seven, they vote for the same party because there is a consenus in their communities that white politicians don't care for them at all. Black politicians are trustworthy to them. Unfortunately, they get a lot of talk, but no real action to improve their economic conditions.

whitescorpion
whitescorpion 09/17/07 - 12:49 pm
First of all I think it's

First of all I think it's amazing that you can speak for the whole black race, do you know what color I am? I think they vote for "liberal" politicians because they think the "liberal" politicians support social programs and government hand outs that they are addicted to thanks to "liberal" policy in this country. "Liberal" politicians only pander to their constituents without ever offering any real, long lasting solutions that promote any real personal growth and independence (as do many conservative politicians). I used the words "party" and "liberal" in the context of my discussion but you immediately thought "black," how interesting. So... what I'm hearing from you is that "blacks" only vote for "blacks." I hope that is not true. If it is I fear nothing will ever change. Because personally I think liberal politicians take black America for granted. It's almost like they expect black Americans to vote liberal without having to account for any of their stupid decisions. My problem with the liberal politicians is their gross pandering, their limitless hypocrisy, the "in your face" corruption, and their TREASONOUS (please let's lose!!) view of the war on terror.

UGA seeks Gurley reinstatement

ATHENS, Ga. -- Georgia will file paperwork today with the NCAA to seek reinstatement for suspended star running back Todd Gurley, the school said in an announcement Wednesday morning.