Man admits guilt as child molester

A former Augusta church choir director and teacher's aide admitted Wednesday what he has denied for years - that he is a child molester.

For taking responsibility for what he did, Superior Court Judge J. Carlisle Overstreet sentenced Carlton Johnson, 46, to eight years in prison followed by seven years on probation.

Mr. Johnson was back in court because the Georgia Court of Appeals reversed his conviction in January. The court ruled that Mr. Johnson was unfairly convicted in early 2003 because Judge Overstreet forced his defense attorney to try the case after the attorney told the judge he wasn't prepared.

Mr. Johnson's eight-year sentence was shorter than the 10-year prison term he received in January 2003 for child molestation. At that sentencing, Mr. Johnson said he believed he had been a help to the victim's family.

On Wednesday, he apologized to the victim and his parents.

In March 2002, Mr. Johnson was a choir director at Good Shepherd Baptist Church, which the 14-year-old victim attended with his family. After his sister complained to their parents that Mr. Johnson propositioned her, the boy told his parents that Mr. Johnson had committed a sex act on him.

In March 1994, Mr. Johnson was working as a teacher's aide when a parent told sheriff's investigators that Mr. Johnson had fondled a 6-year-old boy, according to reports in The Augusta Chronicle. Mr. Johnson was tried and acquitted of sexual battery in that case.

Reach Sandy Hodson at (706) 823-3226 or sandy.hodson@augustachronicle.com.

justus4
justus4 09/13/07 - 03:59 am
This kangaroo judicial system

This kangaroo judicial system seems to have a purpose: release child predators on some technical error, while black convictions are rarely even reviewed. Example: Where is the picture of this guy? But the black kid getting hard time (just below) story is right there. The media, police, and entire system is flawed. Of course there is some "legal" reason these things happen, like the choir director don't want to lose respect in his community. Some community.

karmakills123
karmakills123 09/13/07 - 07:06 am
justus I think I saw this on

justus I think I saw this on the news last night and I believe this guy is black.

Queen4842
Queen4842 09/13/07 - 07:18 am
It doesn't matter what color

It doesn't matter what color any of them are. I agree if you are going to post pic of one then post pic of all. Especially the child molesters so we parents will know their faces and beware.

christian134
christian134 09/13/07 - 07:34 am
justus4 you are whateveryone

justus4 you are whateveryone jumps up and screams "a racist". A molester is a molester nothing more nothing less. It has nothing to do with color just the plain simple fact that all child molesters are the scum of the earth and need to be prosecuted with such force that will make sure they never breathe free air again. The justice system is flawed but not in the way you believe.

tgray
tgray 09/13/07 - 08:06 am
How is this racial issue?

How is this racial issue? Please!! Forget about the color of someone's skin, protect our children.

WorriedAboutOurFuture
WorriedAboutOurFuture 09/13/07 - 08:11 am
JUSTUS4, as usual, made it a

JUSTUS4, as usual, made it a racial thing because she thinks all the poor blacks get a raw deal in all white Augusta. (Lives a very insular life with a very limited and distorted view of what's happening out in the real world. Believes, like other paranoiacs, that there is a vast, right-wing, white conspiracy to keep the black man down.)

getalife
getalife 09/13/07 - 08:19 am
I saw him on WRDW last night

I saw him on WRDW last night and he is black and the blacks that were there was very upset about him not getting more time. Why jump on the color issue JUSTUS4 when you didn't even know his color, you assumed he was white. Child molesters should be put in prison and never see freedom again. This man will be released in three years (he has served five) and will ruin some other child's life. Regardless of black or white, he is a monster.

getalife
getalife 09/13/07 - 08:20 am
Why was his sentence reduced

Why was his sentence reduced by two years? Was it because he finally admitted being a child molester? Where is the justice??

pofwe
pofwe 09/13/07 - 08:32 am
I believe they should print

I believe they should print the picture and a full description of any criminal suspects. Johnson is a wolf in sheeps' clothing.

whitescorpion
whitescorpion 09/13/07 - 08:59 am
Strange, when read this story

Strange, when read this story I also assumed this guy was a white guy. Maybe it had something to do with the fact there was no picture. But, I agree, white / black who really cares. If this guy is a pedator, may he never see the light of day again.

realcooldude
realcooldude 09/13/07 - 09:04 am
justus4, it's people like you

justus4, it's people like you that make me glad that forced racial diversity,forced racial acceptance and tolerance will never work on me.
you are living proof why i could care less about you,your race or any of your cry-baby musings.
you were born black,you are black and sorry to say , you will always be black.
hate it for ya !

KingJames
KingJames 09/13/07 - 09:29 am
Realcooldude and justus4 are

Realcooldude and justus4 are both really ignorant. There is nothing to hate about being black or white. Actions that some of the misguided take to try to preserve their race are what people should hate. Learning more about other cultures has caused acceptance and respect to abound. Finding racial issues where there are none (justus4), and vowing to never be tolerant of others (realcooldude) only means that both of you have your heads stuck in the sand. If you can't appreaciate another culture, or think another race is subservient, then you are obviously un-American because the greatest thing about America is the fact that it's people come from all over the world. Stereotyping an entire race based on the actions of some is also wrong. If I did that as justus4 does I would think that all white people were loud, boisterous people out to hold blacks down; or as realcooldude, I would think all black people are thugs or baby-mamas looking for a handout. I, and many like me, don't stereotype, but choose to look beyond conditions, circumstances, and color. The both of you should try it sometime.

KingJames
KingJames 09/13/07 - 09:46 am
By the way, the last time I

By the way, the last time I checked Good Sheperd Baptist Church was a predominantly black church. Not to say that a predominantly black church can't have a white choir director, but I'm just saying that the church and it's demographics should have been a clue to justus4 that the molester is probably black.

karmakills123
karmakills123 09/13/07 - 09:54 am
Methinks that justus4 may be

Methinks that justus4 may be unable to respond due to that large foot in her/his mouth not to mention the large serving of humble pie.

Rose
Rose 09/13/07 - 10:07 am
KingJames, I agree with

KingJames, I agree with everything you just said.For a week or so, most of the comments here have not been racial. It takes just one person to spoil it. I hate rascism with a passion. I am white and have 2 bi-racial grandkids. I love them dearly. I don't care about skin color. Life is too short to worry about skin color.

opal
opal 09/13/07 - 10:13 am
JUSTUS Should be happy a

JUSTUS Should be happy a Black Child Molester gets a reduced sentence!! Yea Freedom!!! Justice prevails!!!!

kai@reasontostand.org
kai@reasontostand.org 09/13/07 - 10:16 am
We like to talk about love

We like to talk about love and acceptance except for when it comes to a child molester. I'm not excusing their actions or advocating a lighter sentence, but what about the other "sex offenders"; the swingers, the adulterers, the promiscuous, etc.? If the "offense" is purely that we get squeamish and simply don't like it then we ought to close our mouths. If, however, the "offense" is because we know this act is an objective moral wrong, then we ought to not be hypocrites and make sure the "offense" is addressed with just as much vehemence everywhere.

karmakills123
karmakills123 09/13/07 - 10:26 am
There is no "offense" more

There is no "offense" more heinous than the molesting of a child. And there will be no "closing of the mouth"..it will be shouted to the heavens.

augustalawyer
augustalawyer 09/13/07 - 10:27 am
This guy is black and the two

This guy is black and the two kids were black. The case was properly overturned because the DA's office gave the defense attorney over 300 pages of new discovery information less than a week before trial and the court forced the trial over the objections of the defense attorney. It's good that the bads guys get off the street and go to jail but when the trial is not fair, it costs the taxpayers a lot of extra money on appeals and the bad guy gets a better deal. That is what happened here.

karmakills123
karmakills123 09/13/07 - 10:34 am
"Not to say that a

"Not to say that a predominantly black church can't have a white choir director,"...(said in his best Seinfeld voice)...LOL KingJames I just could'nt resist... :)

whitescorpion
whitescorpion 09/13/07 - 10:57 am
KingJames, I wish I could

KingJames, I wish I could agree with everything that you said, and I wish I could appreciate other cultures and be accepting, and blah blah blah... However, this is always a one way street. This always means that I have to accept LOUD vulgar and filthy rap music emanating from every wanna-be gangster mobile in the neighborhood while no one respects my right to a modicum of peace and quiet. It means that I have to accept (as culture!) these goofy lookin' kids running around with their pants down to their knees. I have to accept everything, yet other (so called cultures) accept nothing. I for one am tired of having deviate crap jammed down my throat in the name of "culture." I have a culture too, and it would be nice to have someone want to appreciate it. KingJames, you sound like good, honest, guy, and I mean no disrespect but every new trend (as stupid as most of them are) can't simply be explained as culture.

KingJames
KingJames 09/13/07 - 11:20 am
Seven, the culture that I

Seven, the culture that I asked you to accept is not that of the young thugs and gangster wannabes. I don't accept their behavior either. It is ignorant and tasteless. It is also done by more than just young blacks. I see whites and hispanics doing these same things that you described. I also see them doing things that I don't like such as revving their car engines, breaking traction at red lights, wearing dirty, tight fitting blue jeans that sag, and spitting all the time becausing they're chewing snuff or pinching dip. I don't refuse to accept them for who they are. As a father of a teenage son, I can tell you that the thug look is not accepted by all blacks. You are mistaken if you think it is. I don't like the things you described anymore than you do, but I don't expect that you should hold it against my race. I suspect you don't like any of the sterotypical redneck things I said, but hope that you don't hold those things against me or my race. The thug and redneck stereotypes are subcultures and should not be mistaken as consistent for all members of a particular race.

RegWmsATL
RegWmsATL 09/13/07 - 11:37 am
I agree - race has nothing to

I agree - race has nothing to do with this. I also agree - this guy is probably a Republican.

whitescorpion
whitescorpion 09/13/07 - 11:51 am
KingJames... fair enough. I

KingJames... fair enough. I never mentioned race, nor did I say that this "thug" look is exclussive to black kids, nor did I think it. I think this look actually originated in prisons. TheFramer, ummm yea, you got it right I am a Republican!!! I take it that you are a democrate, well who cares? Did I say a thing about politics, I don't think so Poindexter. I know many Repblicans and many Democrats, I know many fine people. You liberals really crack me up, your the first ones to whine about racism, but the first ones to notice the color of a mans skin. You whine about stero-typing and your the first one to stereo-type (i.e. this guy is probably a republican). By the way how do you know I am a "guy?" Again, stereo-typing. Republican Democrat, again, who cares. I love this country, I love life, I love the people in this country, I support the government, I want to win the war on terrorism. How about you? You sound like a "mean-spirited" maggot of a dem.

american1st
american1st 09/13/07 - 12:37 pm
child molesters should be

child molesters should be killed, and if we can't kill them then they should be locked away and never released.

butterflygina
butterflygina 09/13/07 - 12:39 pm
They boys are going to

They boys are going to grahically molest him in prison. He might as get ready. Praying and teaching what he was supposed to be doing in Sunday school class aint going to help.

herewego
herewego 09/13/07 - 12:51 pm
I honestly don't care about

I honestly don't care about color...but Mr. realcooldude it's going to be a great day in heaven when the doors open and the King of all Races shows his face. I do hope the Lord will let me have a front seat. You must be a miserable man. May someday all racists have their day in the high court.

whyme
1952
whyme 09/13/07 - 12:58 pm
What? He wasn't a

What? He wasn't a priest?Seems like our priests are always brought up as if they're the only denomination that commits this heinous crime when in fact it can happen anywhere. One priest said that he was told that the reason people are less forgiving of priests is that they are held to a higher standard. We ALL should be held to the same standard which is leave children alone-it is not ok to beat your kids, have sex with your kids or someone else's, nor to talk to your kids like they're scum.

batya
batya 09/13/07 - 01:55 pm
kai@reasontostand.org: Those

kai@reasontostand.org:

Those other "sex offenders" you mentioned are all cases of consentual sex among "adults" (or so-called). To compare the innocence of a child taken away to a "swinger" is ludicrous! The child did not ask for this, the adulterer does.

This is just a slap on the wrist compared to what those kids have to live with the rest of their lives. What kind of message is this sending to other child molesters?

Rose
Rose 09/13/07 - 02:26 pm
They have a suspect in the

They have a suspect in the rape and hanging of that 6 yr old girl in Texas. Her mom found her hanging in the garage. She had been tortured and sexually assaulted then killed. The mother's boyfriend is a suspect. Such a sad story. I wonder how long that child had been abused before that piece of trash killed her.We all need to keep our eyes and ears open, and report anybody who we think might be harming a child.