Katrina 'victims' failed themselves

Recently as I started to read The Augusta Chronicle, one of the headlines read " 'Government has failed all of us' " (Aug. 30).

I am sick of hearing about Katrina "victims." They chose to live there. Moreover, taxpayers don't owe them anything. I pay for my home and the insurance, and I do not expect the government to give me a handout. No government - whether local, state or federal - has any money except what they have collected from taxpayers, of which I am one, and I don't owe those victims anything. They should take responsibility for their actions, and their lives, and do for themselves.

This country could save a lot of money also by stopping all welfare to everyone who is not elderly or infirm.

Don Turner, Grovetown

jade
jade 09/12/07 - 01:15 am
the personal responsibility

the personal responsibility mantra is actually one of the more appealing aspects of conservatism for me, but people like Mr. Turner take it too far. surely there is room for some sort of compassion in this case? to say that it is the victims' fault because they chose to live there seems a little extreme. you can extend that logic to say that every soldier injured in iraq is to blame for his own death because he chose to join the military. why offer any gov't assistance to returning soldiers then?

ohhsweetconcord
ohhsweetconcord 09/12/07 - 02:21 am
I generally agree with you

I generally agree with you Mr. Turner that some people bring it upon themselves, but in times of crisis and natural disaster the government must stand up to protect its citizens. I guess using your logic the army shouldn't respond to an invasion of Oregon, as you don't owe those victims anything. No, I don't agree that the government should be pouring billions and billions of dollars on New Orleans, but the government is the direct cause of many of the problems those people are facing. That means they deserve some sort of compensation.

GACopperhead
GACopperhead 09/12/07 - 04:17 am
Why should we taxpayers

Why should we taxpayers continue to subsidize all those who chose to live in areas repeatedly destroyed by natural events. Californians who insist on rebuilding on hills ravaged multiple times by mudslides, etc. If they want to live in these areas, let them insure themselves. Insurance companies should have the right to refuse to insure in areas that are prone to hurricanes, earthquakes or floods. It's time to get real, quit subsidizing the stupid and lower costs for those of us who have a little common sense.

wildman
wildman 09/12/07 - 04:38 am
I understand helping someone

I understand helping someone in a time of need but eventually you have to do something for yourself. How long should we the working class support those who won't work? GAC makes some very good points.

Reality
Reality 09/12/07 - 05:00 am
The people I feel sorry for,

The people I feel sorry for, are the ones that had insurance and are being jerked around by the insurance companies.

BakersfieldCityLimits
BakersfieldCityLimits 09/12/07 - 06:01 am
Racism, pure and simple.

Racism, pure and simple. Code words that are yet another attack on the African American community.

irishgent
irishgent 09/12/07 - 06:19 am
Isnt it odd how a whole town

Isnt it odd how a whole town in the mid west can get demolished by a tornado and yet these town seem to pull togather and rebuild and not totally depend on the federal government.

femacamper
femacamper 09/12/07 - 06:48 am
such narrow-minded

such narrow-minded compassion, but I guess someone needs to be the cheerleader for class warfare

shivas
shivas 09/12/07 - 06:55 am
I agree with femacamper. Very

I agree with femacamper. Very sharp.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 09/12/07 - 07:12 am
D1216 is right. Black people

D1216 is right. Black people are a ward of the state and it is up to the state to take care of them. Anything else is just using code.

Lysa
Lysa 09/12/07 - 07:14 am
D1216, what you said is

D1216, what you said is ignorant. It never said anything about the African American Community. It said the Katrina victims. Don't jump to conclusions. You and Mr. Turner said one of the most ignorant things I have ever heard. The US is trying their best to insure that they will get the problem, but the US has other problems, such as this housing inflation.

justus4
justus4 09/12/07 - 07:19 am
911 was a cash cow for

911 was a cash cow for survivors and family members. Billions were distributed without even one person asking about wealfare, handouts, etc. Why? The perception is that whites deserve the $$ and black people do not. Yea, U can talk about the differences between Katrina, but they both were victims. Look at the different approach to conpensation, and the nation sleeps.

mgroothand
mgroothand 09/12/07 - 07:21 am
D1216 recognizes a conspiracy

D1216 recognizes a conspiracy against blacks in everything that happens. Only when the blackness of night is longer than the brightness (whiteness) of day will he be happy.

anotherlook
anotherlook 09/12/07 - 07:25 am
I can agree to some extent

I can agree to some extent that there were choices that were made on the state and local government level that could have mitigated some of the effects of Katrina in New Orleans. Such
decisions to invest money into tourism and sports rather than the levies and emergency management laid the ground work year after year for the disaster that occured. However, the suffering that we see daily depicted in New Orleans is unconscionable in a country that has a history of responding to natural disasters worldwide and rebuilding the economies of countries with whom we were previously at war. In this case, I don't feel the personal responsibility argument can stand in light of the fact that the majority of people who are continuing to struggle and suffer just happened to be unfortunate enough to be both black and poor in a country that esteems neither. Try as we might to disguise this fact, our history as a country and as a member of a global community leaves little or no room for excuses. In brief, personal responsibility is a worthy goal for all of our citizens, but it seems that we as a nation need to provide the "boots and bootstraps" by which New Orleans will pull itself up.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 09/12/07 - 07:34 am
The unrecovered people of

The unrecovered people of N.O. are an example of those that won't touch a boot strap, but fit nicely into a stroller. We allowed these people to be "bred up" as a voting block and now we're stuck with caring for them.

Dedicated
Dedicated 09/12/07 - 07:41 am
Hey D1216.......where was all

Hey D1216.......where was all this outpouring of gov money when Andrew wrecked Florida? Those people did it on their own. Why can't New orleans?.......Oh yea.......most of the Fl. victims were whiteys..........they don't count

Daddyrabbit
Daddyrabbit 09/12/07 - 07:54 am
d1216, I'm extremely tired of

d1216, I'm extremely tired of hearing African American, Mexican American, and ALL other phrases EXCEPT American. Either you're AMERICAN or you're NOT. Have you ever even been to Africa?

mgroothand
mgroothand 09/12/07 - 08:01 am
Louisiana politics have been

Louisiana politics have been recognized as some of the most corrupt politics in the nation. We have many current and past examples of that. Much of the money to improve the situation in the very flood prone area around New Orleans and surrounding parishes is siphoned off by greedy politicians and construction companies who, when caught for their ineptitude, quickly blame others. Next door in Miss. and Alabama the situation is quite different, they roll up their sleeves and go to work to fix the problems caused by nature. N.O. is a lost cause and should be recognized as such. Build dikes and levees around the higher ground and turn the rest of it into marshland as it was meant to be. Tourism could still be practiced within those "walls". The music is great but the rest of the draw is based on gambling and a very sleazy sex industry.

2tired2argueanymore
2tired2argueanymore 09/12/07 - 08:13 am
When will people stop

When will people stop argueing black and white. I spent some time in NO about a year after Katrina. I was amazed that the only people working around there were contractors and out of town volunteers. Local peopel weren't willing to help even when they were offered pay. Seems like everyone I know that went to areas in Mississippi said just the opposite, people there were helping where they could and when they couldn't help with the work they were providing food and water to those that could. Seems to me there is a different breed of people in NO form the rest of the nation, a breed that expects someone else to provide for them. You can can color any color you want but I don't think this breed is limited to a single color.

Signal Always
Signal Always 09/12/07 - 08:22 am
Which one of you (D1216 or

Which one of you (D1216 or Justus) is Kanye? Whaaa, cry me a river. "'Da man be holdin' me down". "Brotha can't get a break witout keepin' me down". Personally, I'd hate to feel so impotent to think that others had such an impact on me in that way. Must be something mental.

jack234
jack234 09/12/07 - 08:44 am
Remember he lives in

Remember he lives in Grovetown. Did you really expect any more from him?

coco rubio
coco rubio 09/12/07 - 09:06 am
so much for a kinder, gentler

so much for a kinder, gentler nation.........

teharper428
teharper428 09/12/07 - 09:16 am
yeah, coco, we're seeing more

yeah, coco, we're seeing more of that "compassionate conservatism"

peachykeen
peachykeen 09/12/07 - 09:30 am
Again, Katrina did not hit

Again, Katrina did not hit N.O., the excessive rains that affected other areas also affected N.O. You should see the areas Katrina hit, there is a marked difference. They were unfortunate in the respect they have the levees. The U.S. sends billions of dollars to foreign countries in their time of need and should certainly take care of U.S. citizens regardless of the color of their skin or any other things that make us different, American is American. Our government is not the greatest at monitoring the monies they dispurse, but that is another story. I viewed the distruction first hand, it was not a pretty sight. If you can't be a part of solving a problem, do not be critical of those who are trying to.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 09/12/07 - 09:32 am
Compassionate conservatism

Compassionate conservatism keys on responsibility. It'll never be understood by the left.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 09/12/07 - 09:33 am
Signal Always, don't be so

Signal Always, don't be so hard. It's a black thing, you wouldn't understand.

deekster
deekster 09/12/07 - 09:47 am
The families of the dead from

The families of the dead from 911 were given a $1 million to avoid lawsuits. It was a "preemtive settlement". Pure and simple. No one has "life and accident policies" anymore? I guess not since that would be another "personal responsibility". No one can afford health insurance. From the news articles, no one can afford life insurance.

jack234
jack234 09/12/07 - 09:52 am
patriciathomas: "black people

patriciathomas: "black people are a ward of the state". What a broad brush you have. And we wonder why this country is in the shape it is relevant to racial harmony. Your thinking is very cloudy. I'm sure you'll make every effort to past that kind of thinking to the next generation and things will never get better. You need a blessed day. wow.

deekster
deekster 09/12/07 - 09:52 am
My uncle lost his home in

My uncle lost his home in Buras LA twice to hurricanes. He could not get insurance because he lived "below sea level". He did have a job and they rebuild. He loved the area and it was his home. The only charity he got was a cup of coffee and a donut from the Red Cross in New Orleans. The Red Cross was selling clothing and other items.

deekster
deekster 09/12/07 - 09:57 am
Poor non-caucasians and

Poor non-caucasians and caucasians are "wards of the state". Soon the "latinos" will find the "plantation". When you provide food, clothing, housing, health care, religion and some "descretionary monies" for lotto, you own that person. You own their vote. You have the power to keep them on the "plantation".