Know where real Katrina failure lies

The only failure in the Aug. 30 front-page article on Katrina and New Orleans (" 'Government has failed all of us' ") is the failure to build the levees properly when the New Orleans government had the money years ago. Millions of dollars were given but frittered away on other projects or pockets.

The only government that has failed them is their own city government. I wish that was reported as much as the Bush-bashing we hear.

Penny Strader, Augusta

Fishboy
Fishboy 09/04/07 - 05:02 am
The bigger question is, Why

The bigger question is, Why rebuild in New Orleans. There's still a 1 in 6 chance that a Category 5 Hurricane will hit and bring even more destruction than Katrina (which was only a Category 3). Talk about a waste of money. I feel sorry for the folks that lived there, but I won't if it happens again - learn your lesson and move to higher ground!

T Bon
T Bon 09/04/07 - 09:45 am
I find it sad that you both

I find it sad that you both seem to completly lack empathy for the thousands of people who lost their lives and were displaced. I wonder did either of you see the damage first hand, did you do anything to help these people? Or did you just sit in your comfortable home and judge? Maybe you should stop protecting a president who has so sorely underserved us and open your eyes to the suffering of others. Stop worying about your pocket book and see what is really going on.

Signal Always
Signal Always 09/04/07 - 10:54 am
Hey T Bone, the President

Hey T Bone, the President can't just order troops into an area without the Governor's approval or other circumstances. There's a chain of command. The mismanagement started from the bottom and went from there.

Fishboy
Fishboy 09/04/07 - 11:00 am
I think I mentioned that I

I think I mentioned that I felt sorry for those people (i.e. empathy). It was a horrible tragedy. It would be even more tragic (and much less empathetic) to allow people to rebuild when you know the same or worse will happen. I have not seen the damage first hand, and whether or not I did or gave anything to help is between me and God. I'm not protecting the President or my wallet, I just don't think New Orleans should be rebuilt. The laws of physics can't be defied, no matter how much money you spend.

Signal Always
Signal Always 09/04/07 - 11:02 am
I felt sorry for them until

I felt sorry for them until they re-elected that idiot of a mayor.

deekster
deekster 09/04/07 - 11:02 am
It is New Orleans, it is what

It is New Orleans, it is what it is (-: Corruption is the name of the game in Luzianna. The city and state government had a plan to remove the "welfare poor and working poor" m,any years ago. The motive, and motives are critical, was to acquire the land for nothing and develop it into more tourist attractions. You see, if you had been to New Orleans, the French Quarter was pretty much surrounded by some "bad slums". The catch was that the "plan" was to build public housing adjacent to "rich neighborhoods" outside of the cressent and "cluster all economic strata" in schools, shopping, voting, etc. It was "socialism 101". The residents didn't want to move? The rich didn't want them to move. Just keep them out of the tourist attractions.

Signal Always
Signal Always 09/04/07 - 11:04 am
BTW Fish, as for it not being

BTW Fish, as for it not being rebuilt, you can hang it up. The strategic and economic importance of that area ranks up there with NYC. Take a look at a navigational map of the United States. Just about the entire United States, with the exception of the East and West coasts, is serviced by that port.

deekster
deekster 09/04/07 - 11:08 am
katrina accomplished what

katrina accomplished what Nagan and his super rich friends and politicians had not be able to do. Now they will wait, "condemn the properties", sieze the land and sell it to rich developers. they are no different than the developers who continue to build homes in CC swamps and wetlands, gambling that the flood of 1990 will be the "100 years flood". and if CC gets sued again, we have the "Rain Tax" to fit the bill.

DrGunby68
DrGunby68 09/04/07 - 11:32 am
No one says anything when

No one says anything when white folk on the MS north of NOLA get flooded and rebuild. There are folk in Ohio, Iowa, etc that have rebuilt more than 5 times after the MS flooded on them and they keep coming back. Give the poor and disposed of NOLA a chance as well. We can build levees that work. We as a govt and a country did not and still do not have the personal wherewithall and caring for our fellow man to make it happen.

jack
jack 09/04/07 - 11:34 am
I cannot feel sorry for those

I cannot feel sorry for those that re-elect incompetent politicians such as Nagin and Blanco. As I have said before, if the federal government should do anything, it should clean up the corruption in the entire state, but especially NOLA (that has the most corrupt police department in the US), As for the levees not being built and maintained properly, the Corps of Engineers had a plan to construct levees much like Holland but the econuts had a court stop them. Millions have been sent by the government only to be stolen and frittered away by crooked politicians. Don't blam Bush alone, the incompetence stated right whre it is today-NOLA/LA. They deserve what they ask for and get.

DrGunby68
DrGunby68 09/04/07 - 11:39 am
There was certainly

There was certainly incompetence at all levels (fine job Brownie), but the lack of leadership at the TOP where someone named Bush sits is ultimately where responsiblility lies. I can't blame him for what the Corp did or not do, but we can blame him for not DEMANDING that Blanco and Nagin step aside and he take over during the aftermath in what will go down as one of the biggest govt missteps every. Those levees needed billions of dollars, not millions as some here are saying. The local politicians don't have that kind of money.

_kpc_
_kpc_ 09/04/07 - 11:47 am
The president should DEMAND

The president should DEMAND that the local Governor and Mayor step aside?! Are you kidding?! The left complains when the President tries to do his job within the constraints of law, but now you say he should just ignore the law?

o2csnow
o2csnow 09/04/07 - 11:48 am
Penny is correct, the problem

Penny is correct, the problem is in the local and state government NOT the federal government. I wish they would spend more time reporting the LOCAL fraud with the funds that are now being channeled into this area. I do feel sorry for those who were displaced, but when they re-elected the same local government that got them into the trouble in the first place it falls on "burn me once shame on you - burn me twice shame on me"!.

_kpc_
_kpc_ 09/04/07 - 11:52 am
o2csnow, you will not see the

o2csnow, you will not see the media point the finger at the local government, where it belongs. They blame President Bush for all but creating the hurricain its self. No one was surprised that the hurricain hit, and no one SHOULD have stayed there when it did.

t of i
t of i 09/04/07 - 11:53 am
Drgunby68, the implications

Drgunby68, the implications of your 11:39 post are incredible.

_kpc_
_kpc_ 09/04/07 - 12:00 pm
Drgunby....would you please

Drgunby....would you please provide a list of situations where you believe it is the responsibility of the Federal Govenment to break the law and disreguard the US Constitution.

DrGunby68
DrGunby68 09/04/07 - 12:14 pm
Ok, point taken...Bush should

Ok, point taken...Bush should have HEAVILY SUGGESTED that the fed take the lead on what was the a debacle at all levels. I on the left would NOT have lambasted Bush for taking over. General Honore, the first person on the ground to start getting some things done, is actually a distant relative of mine. He and his troops should have been there the morning after the storm. Forget Nagin and Blanco. People were dying in the street. I'm so vested in NOLA b/c I lived there for 3 years and it really does become you and get in your blood. It was SO sad seeing it come to its demise in this fashion and it did not have to happen.

_kpc_
_kpc_ 09/04/07 - 12:17 pm
I'm glad you saw the point,

I'm glad you saw the point, but for once could we have something go wrong in this country without trying to pin it on the President. The LTE is 100% correct that ALL of the fault lies on the local government and the people of NOLA. I don't mean to sound synical, but why were people dying in the street? Why didn't they leave. MOST of them were capable.

drcptsr
drcptsr 09/04/07 - 12:19 pm
National Geographic in

National Geographic in October 2004 had almost the exact Katrina senario nearly a year before it happened. What did NOLA and the state do about it? Evidently party 24x7 and not manage for known risks. We certainly should not use federal taxpayers' money to rebuild below sea level in an obviously vulnerable area. Insurance rates for those who do should be high enough to cover any future losses.

_kpc_
_kpc_ 09/04/07 - 12:33 pm
drcptsr...that was also the

drcptsr...that was also the Cover Story on OCT 2001 issue of Popular Science.

Signal Always
Signal Always 09/04/07 - 01:06 pm
I'm thinking you guys are

I'm thinking you guys are seriously underestimating the importance New Orleans has on our economy and national security.

Signal Always
Signal Always 09/04/07 - 01:08 pm
BTW "Dr" Gunby, you should

BTW "Dr" Gunby, you should probably do a little more research before saying the President should just take over. Start with the Posse Comitatus Act.

Youre Kidding
Youre Kidding 09/04/07 - 01:13 pm
It's amazing how the

It's amazing how the government to include Bush was so quickly to jump to aid the people in Kansas. What's wrong with that picture? Are the people in New Orleans and Louisiana not good enough for him? Aren't the people out west in the same predicament as those in the south? They both live in disaster areas but one can rebuild quicker than the other. Although the tornadoes will blow them back down, the president will build them stronger. But that's okay because they will have the support to rebuild. The people down south have been waiting two years to rebuild. And yes, I have seen it for myself. In fact, take a good look at Biloxi. They had no problem rebuilding the casinos because it brings in revenue for the government. Amazing, isn't it?

Signal Always
Signal Always 09/04/07 - 01:20 pm
The Casinos rebuilt

The Casinos rebuilt themselves. Funny how that works out, eh? If it was the government that rebuilt the casinos, you'd have a point. They didn't, so you don't. As for New Orleans, we DID rush to help. The National Guard, Mississippi State Guard, the US Coast Guard, and numerous law enforcement agencies were on location soon after Katrina blew through. Yes, I know what went on there as well having "ties" to the area.

DrGunby68
DrGunby68 09/04/07 - 01:37 pm
Come on KPC, you know good

Come on KPC, you know good and well that the poor folk of NOLA could not leave. When you live on subsistence wages without credit cards for hotels and don't own cars, how are you going to leave. The poor will always be with us and how we treat them is as much a sentiment of who we are as a people as how strong we are from a defense and security perspective. Again, folk stop it with the blame the locals. There is enough blame to go around about who screwed this up. The president should have shown more leadership and should live up to his promise that he made to the country in Jackson Square in front of that church. Great leadership gave us the Marshall plan...we need that scale of thinking and leadership.

Signal Always
Signal Always 09/04/07 - 01:40 pm
DrGunby, if you really are a

DrGunby, if you really are a "Dr", please tell me where you obtained your degree........so I can stay the hell away from that institution. You are ignorant on how this country operates. If someone should have removed the people from NO, it should have been the people themselves. If they couldn't, it should have been the Mayor and other aid organizations within the city but ONLY if they asked for help. The President isn't a dictator. He's bound by the US Constitution and he cannot cross those boundaries and just declare himself in charge of a city. Please do some research.

_kpc_
_kpc_ 09/04/07 - 01:42 pm
If it were a matter of life

If it were a matter of life and death you will find a way....Heck they had 4 days notice...do you have any idea how far you can walk in 4 days?

_kpc_
_kpc_ 09/04/07 - 01:49 pm
There were thousands of cars

There were thousands of cars left abandoned on the road.

DrGunby68
DrGunby68 09/04/07 - 01:50 pm
Cold, heartless and

Cold, heartless and disgusting...that is what I think of your last comments. That's not what I think of you, but saying that says a lot about each of you....very much a Dr. and proud of it and the institutions I represent very well. We once were a country with humanity and compassion at our core. We are now a bastion of free mkt capitalism that does not appreciate nor care to be educated on the least among us and their plight. We middle/upper middle and rich folk can live in privileged comfort and not be so cynical and uncaring for the backs we stand on...shame on both of you.

_kpc_
_kpc_ 09/04/07 - 01:52 pm
If you find me cold and

If you find me cold and heartless..that's fine... What do you think fo someone who KNOWS that a killer storm is coming, has the ability to leave, but doesn't?