Sharpton slams shooting

SAVANNAH, Ga. - The Rev. Al Sharpton called the Aug. 18 police shooting of a Savannah man "very suspect" moments before addressing an overflow crowd this week at a Savannah church.

The Rev. Al Sharpton speaks at Second Saint John Missionary Baptist Church on behalf of the family of David Willis.  Morris News Service
Morris News Service

"I'm here because I feel the shooting and killing of this young man is very suspect and warrants some very serious attention," the Rev. Sharpton said Thursday night.

"The fact that this man's child is in the car, he was unarmed and you can even suggest in the presence of his baby he was doing something illegal."

The nationally known civil rights activist preached to more than 300 people crowded inside Second Saint John Missionary Baptist Church in west Savannah for about 30 minutes.

The Rev. Sharpton came to Savannah after speaking to Cynthia Willis, the mother of David Willis, who was shot and killed by a Savannah-Chatham Metropolitan Police officer during the Aug. 18 traffic stop. Mr. Willis' 5-month-old daughter and pregnant girlfriend were in the back seat. Both were unharmed.

"No man has the right whether he has a badge or not to be the judge, jury and executioner," the Rev. Sharpton said.

"Police are to uphold the law, not take the law in their own hands," he said.

Police are continuing to investigate the shooting, but preliminary results show Officer Kevin McKoon's actions were lawful: Mr. Willis was trying to run over the officer with his car, police said.

The Rev. Sharpton's preliminary review - which points to a 23-year-old father with no gun and no drugs - shows a different picture.

The Rev. Sharpton would not say whether the situation would have been different if a black officer had shot Mr. Willis.

"It seems they never make this mistake in white neighborhoods," he said.

"I've heard this story too often. I've heard it too many places," the Rev. Sharpton told the crowd. "Sometimes police get scared and make mistakes. Well, why do they only make mistakes on the black side of town?"

Records show Savannah policemen this year have fatally shot two black men, wounded two black men and wounded a white man.

The Rev. Sharpton - a onetime presidential candidate - said he took particular interest in Savannah after the Troy Anthony Davis case.

Mr. Davis is on death row for killing a Savannah police officer, but his execution has been stayed by the Georgia Supreme Court pending a hearing on his discretionary appeal.

The Rev. Sharpton's comments were followed by a standing ovation and cheers from the crowd, which included people of all ages.

Reach Megan Matteucciat at megan.metteucci@morris.com.

RichmondCountyResident1
RichmondCountyResident1 09/02/07 - 10:19 pm
Look Kpc I' m not Rev.

Look Kpc I' m not Rev. Sharpton lawyer.I have never seen him defend whites, but I don't know everything that he does either.I was referring to the child molesters. Let's face it,yall have way to many It seems you and others conveniently forget this while slamming blacks.Face it all races have slime,blacks just get criticized more.

_kpc_
_kpc_ 09/02/07 - 10:30 pm
Face it all races have

Face it all races have slime,blacks just get criticized more.
Your last post was laced with the same racism you accuse the whites of. You are stereotyping whites as well. Maybe you should start with yourself when you want to stop racism. "Let's face it,yall have way to many It seems you and others conveniently forget this while slamming blacks." THAT is very racist. "Face it all races have slime,blacks just get criticized more." To make that statement with no research is racist as well.

_kpc_
_kpc_ 09/02/07 - 10:31 pm
If Mr Sharpton defended a

If Mr Sharpton defended a white person it would be front page news.

t of i
t of i 09/02/07 - 10:33 pm
RCR, if you will reread what

RCR, if you will reread what you wrote to me at 8:33 with an open mind, you will see that you are doing some serious sterotyping. I did not take the police officers's side. I did not say that Willis deserved what he got. I simply pointed our some information that I had found and I asked you where you got yours from. You see, I don't think either one of us can make a determination of anyone's guilt in this situation based on the small amount the articles provide us. Nor can we determine racism was at the root of the situation. It may be, but it can not be assumed based on the small amount of information that we have been provided.

_kpc_
_kpc_ 09/02/07 - 10:34 pm
Ditto t of i.

Ditto t of i.

The Truth
The Truth 09/02/07 - 10:35 pm
KPC do you know Sharpton

KPC do you know Sharpton personally? How do you know if he has/hasnt defended any whites?Do you know if any whites have reached out to him for help? Normally, thats how you get help.

_kpc_
_kpc_ 09/02/07 - 10:37 pm
Name one.

Name one.

hepher
hepher 09/02/07 - 10:37 pm
RCR; You are absolutely

RCR; You are absolutely right; there's plenty of bad white trash out there. But there are 2 key issues; (1) The percentage of bad blacks is much higher than the percentage of bad whites. (2) Whites don't identify with, defend, or consider white criminals as "brothers". Most of us want them in jail or dead. Most blacks (not all) do defend black criminals as brothers.

_kpc_
_kpc_ 09/02/07 - 10:42 pm
Sharpton doesn't usually wait

Sharpton doesn't usually wait for people to ask for help. He jumps on what will get the tv cameras pointed at him. IE the Rutgers BB team didn't ask for squat from him.

The Truth
The Truth 09/02/07 - 10:45 pm
Also kpc, since yo mention

Also kpc, since yo mention his mistakes what about mentioning his positves? remeber these names?

Amadou Diallo
Ousmane Zongo
Sean Bell

They were all "mistakenly"killed by cops.

So if there are occasional Tawanna Brawley gaffes in an effort to give voice to those without the means or platform, I think thats a small price to pay. Like I said before, i am not the biggest fan of Sharpton myself but, he does help people that otherwise might not get the attention shown to their situation that they deserve.

The Truth
The Truth 09/02/07 - 10:48 pm
kpc said:"IE the Rutgers BB

kpc said:"IE the Rutgers BB team didn't ask for squat from him."

^^^^^^
Again, how do you know? I'm sure you were privy to their conversations.

_kpc_
_kpc_ 09/02/07 - 10:49 pm
How did he help Amadou Diallo

How did he help Amadou Diallo Ousmane Zongo Sean Bell? Plus it was never determined that it was racially motivated which is what he was yelling the whole time. That's not helping, it's stirring up trouble.

The Truth
The Truth 09/02/07 - 10:52 pm
He led the protests in all

He led the protests in all three cases. This proved beneficial especially in the cases of Amadou Diallo and Ousmane Zongo. No one would have ever heard about them and their cases would have been swept under the rug.

The Truth
The Truth 09/02/07 - 10:58 pm
This is why the investigation

This is why the investigation is needed even if it proves that the officer was justified.------------------------------------------------------------ "The four officers fired forty-one shots, hitting Diallo nineteen times. Investigation found no weapons on Diallo's body; the item he had pulled out of his jacket was not a gun, but a wallet." -------------------------------------------------------------------- "For some reason a chase ensued that ended when Zongo ran into a dead end. Conroy shot Zongo four times, twice in the back. The New York City Police Department later admitted Zongo had nothing to do with counterfeiters. Prosecutors contended that Zongo ran from Conroy because he was frightened and confused when Conroy, who was not in police uniform, drew his weapon."

mcbeanbulldog
mcbeanbulldog 09/02/07 - 11:59 pm
I will never understand why

I will never understand why every non-white or non-latino death is because of race, maybe, it is because people refuse to just stay quiet ,until court-I was arrested in augusta,ga. in 1984,I was beaten and charged with things i had not done,but in court Ihad my say,even though I was angry i'm here today to raise my family, AL would not helped me or my family. he only cares for himself, HE HAS MISTAKEN HIMSELF FOR A REAL MAN LIKE M.L.K

lifelongresidient
lifelongresidient 09/04/07 - 05:13 pm
during the time of that

during the time of that shooting, as a black man i have to ask of "rev" sharpton.....how many other black churches have you been too to speak out against the 100's, if not 1000's of black men shot down by other black men?????? i guess there isn't as much press/publicity in marching or speaking out against black on black crime which kills far more black men then all of the police shooting on a yearly basis combined!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

intheknow
intheknow 09/04/07 - 08:15 pm
so that makes it right?

so that makes it right?

WorriedAboutOurFuture
WorriedAboutOurFuture 09/05/07 - 12:31 pm
OWENSJEF, here's a bit of

OWENSJEF, here's a bit of orienting info for you: Even BLACKS owned slaves right here in good old Augusta, GA. [Source: Edward Cashin, The Story of Augusta (Augusta, GA: County Board of Education, 1980).p. vii. Cashin was a long-time professor at ASU, now retired, and is a well-known, highly-respected historian.] Something you consistently overlook is that plenty of white peoples have been enslaved over the centuries, but somehow we've managed to live as if there is a future instead of only a past. I have never owned a slave, I always have thought it is wrong, and I have never done a single thing to hurt or hinder you. You have never been a slave and you have had probably has as many opportunities and obstacles as I have encountered at the hands of our nation. It's your choice whether you will live in the present for the future, or dwell on something long past and perpetuate the hatred. You aren't going to get reparation of any kind for whatever happened to your ancestors any more than I am on behalf of mine, and mine had everything taken away. Quit blaming white people who haven't done anything to harm you. It makes us (1) mad and (2) think you're stupid.