Missing boy is found uninjured

An 11-year-old Appling boy missing since Tuesday morning was found uninjured Wednesday.

Kyle Morris, a North Columbia Elementary School fifth-grader, walked into the Columbia County Probate Court office in Appling at about 2 p.m. Wednesday, said Columbia County sheriff's Capt. Steve Morris.

The boy was reported missing Tuesday when he did not arrive at school. Police say he was last seen about 8 a.m. Tuesday walking down his driveway to meet his school bus, which he never boarded.

"We believe he spent the night in his grandmother's basement," Capt. Morris said.

The fire department responded to the boy's grandmother's house near his Shucraft Road home at about 10 a.m. Wednesday, where they found Kyle's backpack and other evidence suggesting he had spent the night there, Capt. Morris said. His grandmother called the fire department after smelling smoke.

Police believe Kyle had plugged in a lamp that caught fire and he attempted to put the fire out with a fire extinguisher, Capt. Morris said.

An employee of Probate Court said a therapist who has been working with Kyle saw him walking along an Appling road, picked him up and came to the office, where police were called.

Kyle has a history of behavioral problems and of running away, Capt. Morris said.

On June 29, Kyle was found within hours of being reported as a runaway, said Capt. Morris, who is related distantly to the boy and his family.

Kyle had also run away on a previous occasion that was not reported, Capt. Morris said.

Reach Valerie Rowell or J. Scott Trubey at 868-1222 or ccchron@augustachronicle.com.

msdaisy
msdaisy 08/30/07 - 04:07 am
spank that butt and I bet he

spank that butt and I bet he stops running away and acting up. All he needs is to go behind a good old fashion wood shed a couple of times to get his act together

happythoughts
happythoughts 08/30/07 - 04:34 am
I don't believe spanking will

I don't believe spanking will help this boy. It appears he is struggling with issues that he is running from. If the therapist is good he should have called her. He needs a change, a role model and someone who understands him and what he is going through and talk to him during his problems. If you don't agree with me, go F--- Off. If you agree, you're a good person.

JimCox
JimCox 08/30/07 - 05:26 am
Happythoughts, you have the

Happythoughts, you have the same mindset as Marion Williams.

blackjack50
blackjack50 08/30/07 - 05:32 am
right on, Ms Daisy!

right on, Ms Daisy! Happythoughts' f--up way of thinking is whats wrong with this country now.

fd1962
fd1962 08/30/07 - 05:42 am
Looks like the police could

Looks like the police could have shared a bit more of their knowledge about this boy's history with the media than they were willing to. Who's interests were being protected here anyhow?

amazed1
amazed1 08/30/07 - 05:45 am
Happythoughts, good people

Happythoughts, good people don't use the "f" word especially the way you do.

aunox
aunox 08/30/07 - 05:59 am
Sure wish they would have

Sure wish they would have mentioned in the story yesterday that he had a history of running away, I spent the day worried sick that someone had grabbed this kid.

scfolk
scfolk 08/30/07 - 06:24 am
Would it matter if the police

Would it matter if the police would have said he had runaway before. He is a child and it doesn't matter someone still could have taken and hurt him. Lets just hope he gets the right kind of help now along with the parents and family to deal with what the problem is.

scfolk
scfolk 08/30/07 - 06:24 am
Would it matter if the police

CKB
CKB 08/30/07 - 06:25 am
This kid should have received

This kid should have received some kind of punishment- doing some kind of community service or something to "repay" the time and energy people took in looking for him, especially since this is not the first time this has happened. Even people receiving "therapy" should be held accountable for their actions, and childhood is not too early to begin that teaching. Actually 11 years old is a little late. I am glad he is ok and happy nothing had happened to him.

Leftystandup
Leftystandup 08/30/07 - 06:27 am
happythoughts is the only

happythoughts is the only that has posted that has made any sense. This kid needs help before it gets to be too late. Problems like this only get worse and beating the kid with your hands isn't going to do the job. Even with his history, he stills needs people to feel compassion. Everyone one of you should do what happythoughts told you to do!!

selfab
selfab 08/30/07 - 06:55 am
happythoughts must be black

happythoughts must be black because that's the kind of language they use.

Just me 2
Just me 2 08/30/07 - 07:03 am
Oh Geez, blacks are not the

Oh Geez, blacks are not the only people that use that ugly offensive word. I am white and I hear way, way to often! I am glad the child is
ok. I do hope someone will find out WHY does he keep doing this?
There has to be a REASON behind his actions.

RAPC
RAPC 08/30/07 - 07:04 am
I am glad he is safe. I hope

I am glad he is safe. I hope they get him the help he need, and a beating is not it.

sbeen70
sbeen70 08/30/07 - 07:27 am
Maybe he is craving attention

Maybe he is craving attention but going about getting it the wrong way. I too am glad he is ok. Going forward, i think that his parents really need to keep a closer eye on him.

ABerger
ABerger 08/30/07 - 07:38 am
The article I read yesterday

The article I read yesterday DID go in to detail about his history of running away. It mentioned his behavioral problems also. I was wondering why so many of the comments yesterday seemed to not refer to his history but to putting out an Amber Alert. I do understand that even though he has this history all precaution should be taken to make sure he is not picked up by some pervert. I am glad he is home and that maybe this episode will be his last. My heart goes out to his family, who I am sure feel frustrated with his behavior and rejoice in his return safely.

gofigure
gofigure 08/30/07 - 07:44 am
This child has a problem. He

This child has a problem. He needs help and guidance. As far as protected interests or cover up - what are you talking about fd1962? The Morris family is a highly well respected family in the Appling Community. The fact that this child has emotional problems is not uncommon in ANY family! Yes what he did was wrong but thank the Lord he was found and can get the help he needs. The whole family will need help to deal with this problem. Instead of judging and condeming we need to pray for all of them.

Equaltreatmentforall
Equaltreatmentforall 08/30/07 - 07:47 am
This boy has a history of

This boy has a history of running away and behavorial problems. I feel so sorry for him. I really hope he gets the help he needs. and soon.

cottoncandy16
cottoncandy16 08/30/07 - 08:02 am
Aunox, You must not have

Aunox, You must not have read yesterday's article to well, it did say he had a history of running away.

KingJames
KingJames 08/30/07 - 08:06 am
The boy and his parents need

The boy and his parents need individual as well as group counseling. I am not suggesting that the parents have done anything wrong, but no one other than Kyle really knows. What I am saying is that both the mom and the dad should talk with a professional so that they can either understand if they have done something to upset Kyle, or know that whatever is driving Kyle to run away is not their fault. Every parent at one point or another asks, "where did I go wrong?" A therapist can either help them answer that question, or help them see that they did nothing wrong at all. I'm glad he is back home.

proudmama
proudmama 08/30/07 - 08:45 am
I am no expert, but work with

I am no expert, but work with children on a daily basis and have two of my own. There is something else going on with Kyle. An 11 year old boy should not feel he needs to run away from his problems. The authorities should be looking into what he's running away from. I'm not saying his parents have done anything, but I am saying someone or something keeps scaring him away from his home. Red flags are everywhere! Someone needs to save this child, he's screaming out for help!!! Matters like this don't usually have all the proof in front of your face, but don't just dismiss it as a disturbed little boy. Find out what's disturbing him! I am so glad that Kyle returned unharmed and safe. I would never wish that on anyone. With the way the world is today we should all praise god that this wasn't worse. Other families haven't been so fortunate. Welcome back Kyle!

jackfruitpaper833
jackfruitpaper833 08/30/07 - 09:14 am
This boy needs to be walked

Ms.A.Dixon
Ms.A.Dixon 08/30/07 - 09:17 am
First off let me say thank

First off let me say thank God the child was found safe.And i agree with proudmama there is alot more going on here than we know,exactly what is going on in this childs life? I hav 4 grown children and a 11yr.old and i have had to deal with each one in a different way going as far as getting one some help when i went through a divorce simply because he could not handle change and at the time i was running around crazy trying to keep them and myself away from an abusive husband.But with my 11yr old i have more time and patience with him,so don't go pointing fingers at reasons for his behavior and a 'good old fashion butt cuttin' doesn't always solve the problem it only adds to it.I just hope he can get the help he needs and can go on to live a happy life that all Gogs children deserve to live.

CoastalDawg
CoastalDawg 08/30/07 - 09:47 am
Well now, this place is just

Well now, this place is just FILLED with amateur psychologists, with emphasis on the "amateur". I don't know the Morris family but I'm pretty sure that if they are a "highly respected family in the Appling Community" that they do whatever they can to take care of this son. I, too, have worked with children who have such problems, including running away. Sometimes neither the family nor the child can put a finger on exactly what triggers the action. Fortunately in this case the boy went to his grandparents' house and didn't walk into danger. He probably never even visualized that police resources would be used to look for him. If you know how to pray, pray that this family will have the discernment to know how to act and react and that Kyle will come to understand that his family loves him and will act with love when problems arise. Attempts of the posters here to say what should be done are unwarranted. None of us know the answers unless we've walked a mile in their shoes. Have a blessed day.

change display name
change display name 08/30/07 - 09:49 am
Once again, the media and the

Once again, the media and the entire CSRA don't need to know certain aspects of this family's issues. It is none of our business. He is obviously being seen by a therapist, and a good one will deal with the whole family. The little booger didn't want to be found, and he wasn't found until he got hungry. Do you think it was a coincidence that his THERAPIST found him when the police had been searching the area for over 24 hours?

HGGP
HGGP 08/30/07 - 10:19 am
i am glad he is safe. it goes

i am glad he is safe. it goes back to, where are the parents and why is the grandmother raising him? it is obvious just by this short article that he is too much for grandma to handle. i know that grandma is trying to do good by raising her grandson when the parents can't or won't. the state needs to step in and take action b4 he walks off and something tragic happens.

Outraged
Outraged 08/30/07 - 10:26 am
First off, the thing that

First off, the thing that bothers me about Kyle Morris is the fact that he did not receive any type of punishment for his actions. His parents have tried everything that is available to them to get him help and have been shot down at every turn and told there is nothing no one can do to help them. The problem with Kyle Morris is he has no remorse for his actions nor is he ever made to suffer the consequences for his behavior. The Morris family is a good family who have gone above and beyond for Kyle and they are still criticized for not doing enough. Some kids are just plain rotten no matter what you do for them so remember that before you start to pass judgement on the parents.

jackfruitpaper833
jackfruitpaper833 08/30/07 - 10:39 am
This boy needs to be walked

This boy needs to be walked to the bus until he's a teenager, the first thing if (God forbid) he succeeds in running away and or getting murdered/killed etc, they are going to say (Parents) we should have watched him more. Maybe by the time he turns 13, 14 or 15 he may have a want to stay alive. I say parents get up in the morning make sure he get's on the bus and off and school officials make sure he get's back on the bus and bus driver make sure he's accounted for each time he boards/exits your bus.

ladybug74
ladybug74 08/30/07 - 11:05 am
I am very thankful he was

I am very thankful he was found safe and unharmed. I pray that whatever is going on his life, that he may find peace and resolution to it.

gemini62882
gemini62882 08/30/07 - 11:14 am
If this kid has a history of

If this kid has a history of running away, what does that say about his family life? I mean there must be problems at home or something must be going on. A kid that has no family problems usually don't run away. As anyone investigated the family of this little boy? To me there seems to be more to this story and to this little boy than meets the eye.

Stormwater fee to fund Columbia County repairs