School board, Larke win suit

The Richmond County Board of Education and former Superintendent Charles Larke have won a lawsuit filed against them by a teacher.

U.S. District Judge Lisa Godbey Wood ruled in favor of the school board and Dr. Larke on Friday and granted them summary judgment in the civil lawsuit filed by Lori Myles.

Ms. Myles alleged she was retaliated against and unfairly passed over for promotion after rejecting what she said were Dr. Larke's sexual advances during a 2000 business trip to Jamaica.

Ms. Myles' lost the legal arguments on several fronts - from expiration of the statute of limitations to lack of proof of sexual harassment.

Ms. Myles contended she was punished for speaking out about the promotion of unqualified applicants.

Such allegations are a matter of public concern, Judge Wood wrote in her opinion, and are protected as free speech by the Constitution when raised in public. But Ms. Myles raised her complaints in private conversations with co-workers or school board members, which isn't the same, the judge wrote.

Judge Wood also rejected Ms. Myles' allegations that Dr. Larke's alleged comments to her in Jamaica were connected in any way to her lack of career advancement.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 08/29/07 - 04:28 am
He said / she said complaints

He said / she said complaints can't be based on suspected rumor. Proof is required for the procedure to work.

toppergem
toppergem 08/29/07 - 07:10 am
Judge Wood make an excellent

Judge Wood make an excellent ruling. You should not be able to charge people of things with no legitimate proof. A reputation is a very difficult thing to repair once accusations have been put out there in the wind.

Venus
Venus 08/29/07 - 07:47 am
Way to gooooooooooooooooooo!

Way to gooooooooooooooooooo! Judge Woods made the right choice! Funny thing is people will do anything to further their own personal agenda and the agenda of people who do not have this community at heart!

Daddyrabbit
Daddyrabbit 08/29/07 - 08:15 am
Why would the Richmond County

Why would the Richmond County School board have business in Jamaica?

ProphetessDeborah
ProphetessDeborah 08/29/07 - 08:43 am
what will lori myles quiet

what will lori myles quiet now!

ProphetessDeborah
ProphetessDeborah 08/29/07 - 08:44 am
what will keep lori myles

what will keep lori myles quiet now!

Jillian
Jillian 08/29/07 - 09:15 am
lol maybe larke went to

lol maybe larke went to jamaica to learn how to keep his pants and his mouth zipped?

GSneed
GSneed 08/29/07 - 10:37 am
My wife is a Richmond County

My wife is a Richmond County teacher, and she was sent to Vegas for a educational conference! Actually surprised me, but I think it's pretty cheap to do since the hotels expect to make their money back from the conference participants in the casino.

kiddspur
kiddspur 08/29/07 - 10:57 am
patriciaT -- you hit the nail

patriciaT -- you hit the nail on the head with that post today -- get hard facts not rumors !

Painter
Painter 08/29/07 - 11:36 am
Splash, I've looked around

Splash, I've looked around and all I saw was a mess he left.

jack
jack 08/29/07 - 01:15 pm
I am sorry to see Larke get

I am sorry to see Larke get off the hook, but the judge was absolutely right. There are definite time limitations on civil rights/discrimination complaints as well as being able to prove what ever you are alleging. Good job Judge!

intheknow
intheknow 08/29/07 - 07:12 pm
" I am sorry to see Larke get

" I am sorry to see Larke get off the hook." It is called lack of evidence, not getting off the hook.

AugustaHeph homeowner
AugustaHeph homeowner 08/29/07 - 07:59 pm
Going to Jamaica---is

Going to Jamaica---is absslutely ridiculous. Jamaica is for fun and sun and drink, drink, drink and lay whatever you may.
Give me a BREAK!!!Larke got llucky, just another little bit of him still hanging around the board. Larke-get out. Give Dr. Bedden a chance now to turn the BOE AROUND and make employees feel they have accomplished something they sat out to do/ All these people that do get pasted up for uneducated and inexperience, well gues what I feel for them becuase I have been in the same situation. It does happen and all the time.
And that's all I'm gonna say!!!

AugustaHeph homeowner
AugustaHeph homeowner 08/29/07 - 08:00 pm
Excuse the mistakes, I am

Excuse the mistakes, I am tired!!!!!!

fbb
fbb 08/29/07 - 09:36 pm
Justice prevailed this time!

Justice prevailed this time! Dr. Larke now you can get on with your
life. People who try to destroy other people's lives will surely live
to reap what they've sowed. Can you imagine how successful folks would
be if they invested half the energy they use to destroy people, into
improving their own lives, or the lives of others. It's obvious most
people have no idea what it took to get you where you are,
(educationally, spiritually, and emotionally). Job well done Dr. Larke!
Thank you for your many, many years of dedication. Those of you who are
still throwing stones, watch out for the plexiglass!! Dr. Bedden, watch
your back cause jealousy, greed and power mongers are alive and well in
Augusta, Ga. P.S. To intheknow, it's obvious you don't know. One must
be "on the hook" first in order to get "off the hook". Which catagory
do you belong...jealousy maybe:-) And to Augusta/Hep homeowner, we all
know what you would do on a business trip to Jamaica. lol

innocent
innocent 08/29/07 - 09:43 pm
What time capsule have you

What time capsule have you been in fbb? Larke is a crook that never got caught. He destroyed many lives with his Sadam like management style. He never cared about the kids of Richmond County or the teachers or the parents. His greed finally got him hung for good. Send him to Iraq...........he is a worthless human being.........

intheknow
intheknow 08/29/07 - 09:46 pm
fbb, I think that you need to

fbb, I think that you need to learn what quotation marks are. I was quoting what JACK said.

fbb
fbb 08/29/07 - 10:00 pm
intheknow I owe you an

intheknow I owe you an apology. I did not read the comment above yours. I am sorry. So my comment is to Jack Sprat. It just amazes me that so many negative comments can be made about a case, or a person's life so easily, and most folks don't know the whole truth about it. Again, I apologize to intheknow.

fbb
fbb 08/29/07 - 10:02 pm
Innocent: get a life!

Innocent: get a life!

LetJusticeRoll
LetJusticeRoll 08/29/07 - 10:02 pm
BakersfieldCityLimits
BakersfieldCityLimits 08/30/07 - 08:32 pm
A victory for all African

A victory for all African American men who are falsly accused of crimes. I guess it was one last chance to diescredit a fine educator Dr. Larke. Maybe some of the west augusta crowd will reconsider their vicious attatcks.

innocent
innocent 08/30/07 - 10:42 pm
You ignorant people amaze

You ignorant people amaze me.......that you cannot see through Larke's pitiful record......you all must have been some of the people that received cash loans provided by the taxpayers from his slush funds that the Board knew nothing about.........