UGA ranked among top party schools in nation

ATHENS, Ga. - University of Georgia sophomore Sarah Walsh spent most of her down time last week studying for a biology test so that she could help a couple of friends celebrate their 21st birthdays over the weekend.

University of Georgia sophomore Bobby Andres does work on his laptop. He said partying too much isn't a problem for him because his goal of going to law school keeps him focused.  Morris News Service
Morris News Service

"I've been studying all week, and I'm sure it's gonna get worse," Ms. Walsh said Friday afternoon while poring over her textbook, marked up with highlighter. "I'd rather be sleeping than going out."

Ms. Walsh said she tries to maintain a social life along with her studies, but unlike the students who contribute to UGA's high "Party School" ranking in Princeton Review's 2008 366 Best Colleges book, the two parties she attended were two more than what's normally on her weekly social calendar.

Princeton Review bases the "Party School" rankings on how many hours students at each of the 366 schools say they spend studying and how popular they think alcohol, drugs, fraternities and sororities are on campus.

The Princeton Review recruits students for the survey on which it bases the rankings by asking universities to invite students to participate, asking student newspapers to announce the survey and advertising the survey in Princeton Review publications, said Jeanne Krier, Princeton Review publicist.

UGA's party school ranking jumped from No. 12 last year to No. 5 this year, during a time when UGA officials have been trying to increase academic rigor on campus, crack down on students' alcohol consumption and overcome a long-standing reputation among students that the university is the place to work hard to get into and party once they get here.

The subject of the UGA "Party School" ranking came up in Ms. Walsh's statistics class last week, drawing skepticism from both students and the instructor, she said.

"The rankings seem kind of arbitrary to me," Ms. Walsh said. "I don't understand why it would change so abruptly."

UGA also made it into the top 15 for how popular students find intercollegiate and intramural sports, fraternity and sorority life, the student newspaper, campus food service and hard liquor.

Jere Morehead, UGA's vice president for instruction, said he has "grave doubts" about Princeton Review's ranking methodology but acknowledged that it shouldn't be completely brushed off.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 08/28/07 - 04:13 am
Apparently there's a lot to

Apparently there's a lot to do beside study at UGa. The students that come to a university to learn will and those that aren't motivated or goal oriented will find other things to do. Nothing new. The survey is more fun than reflective of reality since the response is by an unknown group.

createyourfuture
createyourfuture 08/28/07 - 04:40 am
This surprises us how? UGA

This surprises us how? UGA has always been that way. One year Playboy magazine did a similar poll, UGA was not on the list, but there was an asterisk next to the title. At the bottom, the caption for the asterisk said, "If you have wondered why we have not ranked the University of Georgia, it was the decision of the editorial board that it would be unfair to rank professionals with amateurs." Note that no other state institutions were ranked, including Georgia Tech, who is nationally ranked in its academic training, which I thought was the purpose being enrolled in a University. Tech people have fun, too, but there it is education first, unlike UGA where it is second to partying.

CHIEF
CHIEF 08/28/07 - 04:48 am
Whats the point? I guess if

Whats the point? I guess if can go and make the grades your a disicipline person.

PFLY775
PFLY775 08/28/07 - 04:59 am
Believe me....they are not

Believe me....they are not making the grades...not good ones...
but Mommy and Daddy will pick up the slack and bail them out and keep enabling them.

saywhat
saywhat 08/28/07 - 05:57 am
Funny UGA officials don't

Funny UGA officials don't ever have "'grave doubts' about Princeton's ranking methodolgy" when it is a ranking they like, ie top five Universities in SE, etc.

Bizarro
Bizarro 08/28/07 - 07:17 am
An education is fun and the

An education is fun and the more degrees the better!!!!It is also useful to relieve stress with a good throwdown. It guess it is an attitude. I attended there living in Bogart (just like the song)a number of decades ago. It was a party school then too. Now there is Hope so Daddy gets a break. No pun intended.

sanders20
sanders20 08/28/07 - 07:47 am
it's college!! thats what you

it's college!! thats what you do!! party and study.

greenhulk1980
greenhulk1980 08/28/07 - 08:13 am
Morons

Morons

The Knave
The Knave 08/28/07 - 09:07 am
UGA is to Georgia Tech as

UGA is to Georgia Tech as Alfred E. Neuman is to Albert Einstein; and as immaturity and irresponsibility are to maturity and responsibility. UGA is a pretender; Georgia Tech is the real thing -- an internationally recognized institute for high-caliber scholarship and research, where academic rigor and achievement are paramount.

WorriedAboutOurFuture
WorriedAboutOurFuture 08/28/07 - 09:19 am
GA Tech ain't what it used to

GA Tech ain't what it used to be, and UGA has improved dramatically since the 1970s and 1980s. If you don't realize that, KNAVE, your info in outdated. Having a well-rounded person also has value as well, and as many interesting Tech grads as I know, they generally are pretty humorless and dull compared to the typical UGA grad.

The Knave
The Knave 08/28/07 - 09:57 am
I too am "worried about our

I too am "worried about our future" because of uninformed people like worriedaboutourfuture (WAOF). According to the LATEST US News & World Report rankings, the GT Graduate School of Engineering is ranked fourth in the country, behind MIT, Stanford, UC Berkeley, and ahead of Univ. Illinois, Carnegie Mellon, Cal Tech, USC, Univ. Michigan, Cornell, Univ. Texas, Johns Hopkins, Purdue, Princeton, Columbia, Harvard, Ohio State, Rensselaer, Yale, et. al. Most of the individual schools are highly ranked also, including Bio-Medical Engineering -- #2 behind only Johns Hopkins; Industrial/Manufacturing Engineering #1. UGA is ranked as a "second tier" university, #59, with no high ranking programs that I can find. And, absolutely contrary to what WAOF says, the GT of today is far superior to the old days, when I was a "humorless and dull" student. It would seem that, in WAOF, I have stumbled upon another "piously convicted, marginally informed" blogger.

t of i
t of i 08/28/07 - 09:58 am
Whoa, Worried?

Whoa, Worried?

mover5
mover5 08/28/07 - 10:20 am
anyone who does not know how

anyone who does not know how much better uga has gotten in terms of academics over the last 10 years must be living under a rock. there are plenty of partiers, but those same folks buckle down when its time to make the grade. there will always be those people who cannot balance the social and academics.

Bizarro
Bizarro 08/28/07 - 10:34 am
Let's face it people love UGA

Let's face it people love UGA because of football and partying. Send your kids off for a liberal arts education, or is that art of liberal education (har, har). Attaining a degree from a Yale or Harvard has some prestige (and it looks good on your c.v.)but success is dependent on the individual. I believe more nobel laureates hail from the University of Chicago. Nobel laureates like to party.

PlayaFace
PlayaFace 08/28/07 - 11:13 am
GO UGA... keep the party

GO UGA... keep the party alive

whyme
2070
whyme 08/28/07 - 11:20 am
All of the partying takes

All of the partying takes place because it can. I went to UGA and many of the kids who had $$ got it from Mommy and Daddy to dress up, drink, and basically enjoy themselves. I on the other hand was expected to study, my folks didn't have the big bucks to spend on partying and though I was in a very small sorority, the issue of partying was minimal at most. My parents did not encourage me to drink at home to get the taste of alcohol in a controlled environment or otherwise support what many find acceptable or expected teen behaviors. That's why UGA was just an extension of high school-immature parents and immature students.

Lucy123
Lucy123 08/28/07 - 11:55 am
I attended UGA for 6 years

I attended UGA for 6 years (before you get any ideas, that was 6 years for 2 degrees). I went to a bar exactly once in those 6 years (the night before I graduated with my undergraduate degree, where, at the age of 22, I had my first drink). Only once did I ever set foot inside a fraternity or sorority, and that was for a study group. I studied, I learned, I worked, I made lifelong friends, and I had fun. I never missed a home football game or a gymnastics meet in all of those 6 years, I just chose to have fun in places other than bars or fraternities and sororities. I got a good education that prepared me for a good job and I look back very fondly on those 6 years. AND, I'm glad I went to school with a bunch of partiers who know how to have fun in lots of different ways instead of a bunch of stuck up snobs who sit around the library day and night with their noses stuck in dusty old books. Part of college is learning how to balance everything in your life, and I definitely learned how to do that. GO DAWGS!

rainboot
rainboot 08/28/07 - 12:40 pm
As a UGA graduate this is

As a UGA graduate this is funny to me. SO many changes in Athens since Adams took office - any die-hard Bulldog fans will know what I am talking about. Adams is doing everything in his power to make UGA an elite southern ivory league institution. While I do not condone college-partying -- I think this is comical and an absolute slap in the face to Adams. I am sure he s*#! a brick when he read this report. GO DAWGS!!!

alumna
alumna 08/28/07 - 12:45 pm
hey knave! what's the good

hey knave! what's the good word!?

t of i
t of i 08/28/07 - 12:55 pm
Knave, I hardly think you

Knave, I hardly think you would have been a humorless and dull student. My experience with GT students was through my husband to be and classmates mine and his who attended Mother Tech. Witty, zaney, clever and quite artisic are descriptions that come to mind. Go Jackets!

t of i
t of i 08/28/07 - 01:04 pm
Good to hear from you George

Good to hear from you George P.Burdell. Are you staying out of trouble?

kiddspur
kiddspur 08/28/07 - 01:42 pm
hallie you stay off campus

hallie you stay off campus with your moped and cameo bikini -- you might cause traffic problems!!!!!

realcooldude
realcooldude 08/28/07 - 02:51 pm
thye knave...in a word , you

thye knave...in a word , you are full of yourself to say the least....

GET REAL1
GET REAL1 08/28/07 - 03:21 pm
hallie, the purpose of

hallie, the purpose of college is to acquire a higher form of education. i would hate to see the grades that u bring home. too much attention to african americans and not enough hitting the books? do u consider these drunk party goers "ignorant"? of course not!!

The Knave
The Knave 08/28/07 - 04:02 pm
The "good word" is that

The "good word" is that George P. Burdell has spoken and the world had better listen! I understand that George was recently detained at the new, luxurious, Augusta airport, and that his slide rule was confiscated by the TSA.

WorriedAboutOurFuture
WorriedAboutOurFuture 08/28/07 - 05:02 pm
T of I, you and I both know

T of I, you and I both know at least one grad of that still-illustrious institution that is far and away superior to most grads of any institution, anywhere. In addition to being a specimen of physical beauty and great intellectual power, this special person also possesses creative skills and character that would put your standard Renaissance Man to shame. Apologies for my momentary lapse! Mea culpa, mon ami.

Bizarro
Bizarro 08/28/07 - 05:29 pm
I guess the college years are

I guess the college years are also for sexual experimentation. Oh yipes! I forgot they lost their discount on birth control products. Risky business nowadays. Well they do need an education. I guess social skills and sexual technique count. I wanted to ask hallie how her Doobie 420 and Sex 69 classes were going. Is that a major? Do yall remember streakin in the 70's. Everybody showed off their naked pictures. Some good orgies in the 60's. Ahhh, The Wonder years.

tiredandignorant
tiredandignorant 08/28/07 - 10:24 pm
George P. Burdell would tell

George P. Burdell would tell you that Georgia Tech is and was highly underrated as a "party school".There were the night clubs all over the place, apartment parties up and down I75 & I85 north, the stewardesses and the secretaries who had money in their pocketbooks and knew where to go for a good time, the art and fashion school students, the other college students. There was always a party going on somewhere- maybe Emory. Fraternities would go together in order to afford national "name" performers who loved to come to Atlanta anyway. Party on the weekends and bear down during the week. Employment recruiters actually favored the person who could have a social life and yet do the work. The most appropriate statement is that both GT and UGA are excellent institutions and good party schools, they have slightly different missions, and finally, not everyone understands how much joint academic and research activities are done -that's real power.

toppergem
toppergem 08/29/07 - 05:56 am
If you work hard...and

If you work hard...and college requires you to do that...then why not play equally as hard??? If you can party and get great grades, so be it!!! Time spent in college should be full of adventure... both academically and socially.

alumna
alumna 08/29/07 - 07:36 am
My fellow Yellow Jackets, you

My fellow Yellow Jackets, you are all correct in stating that Georgia Tech is the superior intellectual institution. You are further correct in stating that Yellow Jackets know how to have a great time. We are required to work 5 (sometimes 6 or 7) days a week to achieve greatness in our academic fields of choice, as opposed to some of our UGA counterparts who can put in a full three day week and leave 5 of 7 nights for recreation. One thing a weary GT student can count on at the end of a hard week is a group of good friends, a couple of great band parties that all Tech students are invited to attend (I hear fraternities rarely mix at UGA), parties at friends' apartments, going to clubs, scaling the Tech tower to steal the T, enjoying a meal of the nationality of your choice, and a couple of beers. I've always been amazed at how difficult it is to find a parking space on the weekends, what with all of the UGA sticker-laiden cars around campus. Maybe they know where to go to have a good time? Fun, revelry and comradery have always been abundant at Tech, regardless of affiliation, and the common thread holding all Tech students together is the goal to beat Ma Tech and "GET OUT!"

Georgia Regents' hospital plan chosen