Support women's right to choose

In response to the letter "Quit morally equivocating on abortion" (Aug. 17), thank you for a letter that backs me up when I tell the moderate majority that the conservative right agenda is to not only ban abortion, but to also take away the right to birth control.

Women who don't want to end up pregnant every year, husbands who don't want to have to support a new child every year, and men who don't want to deal with paternity suits every year, need to wake up and start fighting for women's right to plan when she has a child.

In regard to the minority religious view that life begins at the moment of conception, forcing that religious view on others is unconstitutional. When an egg and a sperm meet on Saturday night, they aren't a baby Sunday morning.

Janis Hutchison, North Augusta, S.C.

The_Last_Word
The_Last_Word 08/24/07 - 06:01 am
Ms. Hutchison, in two

Ms. Hutchison, in two sentences, sums up the depth of her argument. Life, to her, is just that simple & meaningless. It is a joke that is less important than her convenience & pleasure. In a broad brush she declares that a "minority" believe that life begins at conception - what, pray tell Ms. Hutchison, happens when egg & sperm are joined? What is that "thing"? What can it become? At what point do you have the right to kill it? Can you kill something that is not alive? If it is okay to kill it then, why not one year later? No one is forcing a view on you. You may believe anything or nothing you want. What people who care want to do is to protect life. Life - that thing you make jokes about, that thing you deny exists. What kind of twisted logic can deny that an egg is alive? That a sperm is alive? And when they combine - all doubt removed. Given time and opportunity - the egg & sperm will grow to be a child. You have the ability to prevent that life from occuring through birth control or even (Horrors!) abstinence. And you can even take the life of that "thing" you have created with assistance from some unfortunate person. But to deny it exists - that is delusion. Blessings.

_kpc_ 08/24/07 - 06:01 am
It's not a religious belief,

It's not a religious belief, it's one of logic. If life doesn't begin at conception, please give a concrete definition of when it does.

GACopperhead
GACopperhead 08/24/07 - 06:30 am
Women have choice !

Women have choice ! Abstinence, the pill, IUDs, etc, etc, ad infinitum. Murder shouldn't be an option, unless we would like to redefine all murder as retroactive abortion.....

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 08/24/07 - 06:41 am
The right to choose is made

The right to choose is made when a person has sex. That is not in danger of being legislated. Abortion on demand at taxpayer expense is. I think the whole issue is the womans right to be irresponsible.

_kpc_ 08/24/07 - 06:52 am
Again, no one ever takes into

Again, no one ever takes into account the father's right to not have his child killed.

Bizarro
Bizarro 08/24/07 - 07:15 am
It is a biological fact that

It is a biological fact that life begins at conception. That is no guarentee it will survive to term. The issue is not is it murder or morally wrong-of course it is. The issue is what can a woman live with:I can live with raising this child I don't want or I can live without this child I don't want. Abortion is not a right but a choice, and it is a choice that women should have access and a choice a woman should make. Maybe there needs to be some regulation on someone who is having their third abortion or some ridiculous scenario but women should have the choice. Given the divorce rate and number of unwed mothers I'd say most Dads don't want the responsibility. Their loss!!!!! Of course one can argue abortion is the wrong choice but you aren't the one who has to live with it.

concernednative
concernednative 08/24/07 - 07:25 am
As a pro-life democrat I have

As a pro-life democrat I have to say that life ceraintly begins at conception. So at that point you can call it abortion or whatever you want but it is murder because you are taking a human life. We need to have more personal responsibility and not have so many unwanted pregnacies. I can't figure it out people have all type of access to free birth control and yet abortion still goes on at alarming rates. Many women have multiple abortions in a life time which is simply amazing to me. We people would rather go murder a baby that pop a pill or wear a condom we are in serious trouble.

_kpc_ 08/24/07 - 07:33 am
So since you say MOST men

So since you say MOST men don't want the responsibility, we should just say "to heck with those that do." If you agree that life begins at conception, but a woman still has the right to end it at her convenience, what would be wrong with a woman killing a child 1 week after birth?

Bizarro
Bizarro 08/24/07 - 08:01 am
I was saying most men

I was saying most men anectdotally. I didn't say it was not wrong I said it their choice. You can't get over that it is not about morality or sin but about personal choices in life. It is wrong to kill a person but some people can go to war and kill and live with it, others are conscientious objectors because they can't. I had to make that choice concerning Vietnam. You can't live with an abortion and neither could I but that is our choice. I am sure all of your choices in life have been good ones.

_kpc_ 08/24/07 - 08:05 am
If you agree that it is wrong

If you agree that it is wrong to kill someone (an innocent), and you agree that life begins at conception, then why is it ok to kill a child? And again....why isn't it ok to kill the child a week or so after it is born if it's ok to kill it before it is born?

Bizarro
Bizarro 08/24/07 - 08:55 am
It is not O.K. to kill a

It is not O.K. to kill a child. Are you dense. It is wrong to do a lot of things but we still do it. I see that your only solution is to criminalize abortion(patient and doctor) which just adds to another problem -our penal system. Adultery is wrong and should be illegal so lets lock up the adulterers while were at it. Oh yeah, don't forget the homosexuals. It is wrong and illegal to murder a citizen but it hasn't stopped anyone from doing it. I can tell you if I was twenty years old and pregnant and the law said you have to be a parent. I know that I would be a stellar parent.

paint_it
paint_it 08/24/07 - 09:02 am
This is EXACTLY why I am

This is EXACTLY why I am moving out of the South. Yes, as of now women have access to Birth Control. But if you actually pay attention to what the Conservative Right is touting, they want to restrict access to this birth control. States are having to mandate that certain stores provide the morning after pill and umarried women are often illegally told they can't have the pill by "moral" Gynecologists . Let me point out as well that married couples have abortions as well. Abortions aren't limited to teenagers who make the "mistake" of having sex.
We are Pro-Choice... not Pro-Death. I don't want everyone who gets pregnant to have an abortion. I just want them to have a choice. Regardless of when life begins, what kind of life will an unwanted baby living in foster care have?
For me, abortion is the tip of the ice-berg. If abortion is banned, birth control is not long after. Essentially a bunch of men in congress and the senate have been given the decision to decide what is best for me, a young married woman in Augusta. This is about having a choice. Didn't anyone else read 1984? Aren't you concerned that our government is looking more like Big Brother every day?

paint_it
paint_it 08/24/07 - 09:07 am
And in response to

And in response to ConcernedNative - let's assume you are or will get married. Does that mean if you are a man, you are going to wear a condom EVERY time you have sex with your wife. And if you are a woman are you never going to be so busy as to forget to take your pill at the exact same time every single day for the rest of your life?

_kpc_ 08/24/07 - 09:08 am
Your logic is flawed. What

Your logic is flawed. What you are saying is that since people do it anyway, we should make it legal. Why not make murder legal? That would certianly help out the penal system. I'm far from dense, I just don't see the difference between killing a child before, or after it is born. Why is one legal and the other is not? As for adultery and homosexuality, I'm not making any judgements on whether or not that's wrong, but it is nearly universal that killing people is wrong. Your attempt to guess what I see as right and wrong isn't working. Stick to the topic.

_kpc_ 08/24/07 - 09:09 am
And for the record, I'm not

And for the record, I'm not against any birth control that PREVENTS conception.

Bizarro
Bizarro 08/24/07 - 09:11 am
Given the scenario of an

Given the scenario of an unwanted pregancy which scenario is more tolerable. The parent kills the child before birth, the parent kills the child after birth, or the uninterested parent raises the child with no concern for their welfare or outcome. Oh yeah, I forgot forcing them to give birth and then spend some time in prison. I agree also that I don't see the legal logic that it is O.K. to kill a child weeks before birth, but not O.K. to kill a day after birth. I apologize if I thought your arguments were based on sin and moral grounds. I just don't see criminalizing abortion as any solution. I don't see the logic it is murder to kill an American citizen but it is O.K. for me to kill foreign citizens during times of war. I don't see the issue on moral grounds, legal grounds, but as a societal issue that needs a new strategy.

_kpc_ 08/24/07 - 09:12 am
Paint it, your own words

Paint it, your own words "Regardless of when life begins, what kind of life will an unwanted baby living in foster care have?" Based on that quote, could it be implied that you would be in favor of killing all those who are in foster care, since they won't have a good life anyway? Unborn children only have a chance of a bad life, but you seem to think it's ok to kill them and never even give them a chance at a better life.

_kpc_ 08/24/07 - 09:14 am
WOW bizarro! So you have so

WOW bizarro! So you have so much disregard for life that you think it's better to kill a child (even after it's born) than risk raising a child with hardships. That is truly amazing! To answer your question, it is far more tolerable to NOT kill the child and let the person overcome their hardships.

paint_it
paint_it 08/24/07 - 09:21 am
kpc, now you're just

kpc, now you're just stretching. Do you really think that I meant that all children in foster care should be killed? Some kids in foster care DO have good lives. I think you understood the point I was trying to make. Stop ASSUMING that Bizarro has disregard for life. Once again, PRO-CHOICE - not PRO-DEATH or PRO-ABORTION.

Bizarro
Bizarro 08/24/07 - 09:25 am
I have plenty of regard for

I have plenty of regard for human life. I am just realistic that your solution of criminalization has never worked as any kind of long term solution. I didn't make the argument it is better to kill unwanted pregnancy or foster kids I am just illuminating the realistic options that occur in life. You and I jumping up and down saying it is wrong, blah, blah, blah, doesn't change a thing or the possible outcomes. Why are you trying to villainize me implying I agree with peoples choices, when all I have is sympathy nor the gumption to be casting stones.

_kpc_ 08/24/07 - 09:26 am
I'm not asssuming that either

I'm not asssuming that either of you are pro death or any other spun-up form of pro-choice. But both of you have used the argument that it would be better to kill the child than to let them even have a chance in foster care.

paint_it
paint_it 08/24/07 - 09:30 am
If you see what I was saying

If you see what I was saying as meaning that, then you are right. I have used the wrong argument. For me, the ultimate bottom line is that women should have a choice. Women should have access to health care and not be left to die at the end of a dirty coat-hanger.

_kpc_ 08/24/07 - 09:32 am
Has criminializing adult

Has criminializing adult murder stoped it from happening? For that matter has criminalizing ANYTHING stopped it from happening. Heck...legalize everything.

greenhulk1980
greenhulk1980 08/24/07 - 09:33 am
First and foremost a woman

First and foremost a woman can choose when to have a child by keeping her pants on. In response to the thoughts of rape and incest that makes up .001% of all abortions. And it is not a minority view that life begins at conception thus the prosecution of murder for two when a pregnant mother is killed, and why do only 3% of med students take the classes on abortion? no abortion is an evil that was started by racist individuals as a means to control the hispanic and black population in california, the name of this organization "planned parenthood" they gave abortions and the doctor whithout the patients knowing gave the woman a histerectomy. So do more research Ms. Hutchinson and heck go look at some ultra sounds. May God save your soul.

greenhulk1980
greenhulk1980 08/24/07 - 09:33 am
Hey Paint it..go ahead and

Hey Paint it..go ahead and move buddy

_kpc_ 08/24/07 - 09:34 am
Children should have the

Children should have the choice to not die at the end of a steril doctors syringe.

_kpc_ 08/24/07 - 09:36 am
The bottom line is that I

The bottom line is that I believe that ALL humans have the right to attempt to survive and it appears that Bizarro and paint it do not share that belief.

old school graduate
old school graduate 08/24/07 - 09:40 am
Bizarro, I agree with you.

Bizarro, I agree with you. Your comment does contain painful, but valid truth. Also, as long as there are unwanted pregnancies, there will be abortions, whether in a back alley with rusty utensils, or in a secret "specialty" clinic. I'd like to keep it a "legal" option versus an "illegal" option, since it's going to be happening anyway.

lord griggs1947
lord griggs1947 08/24/07 - 09:42 am
That is a false assumption

That is a false assumption that one should ask when life begins! The right question is when does personality begin? Each state varies on that in its laws on abortion is the third semester.It is a damn lie to say there is abortion on demand! I certainly oppose wanting abortion for choosing the sex- girls at that. As Sen. Clinton makes pellucid, we can find common ground in making abortion more available ,etc. Yes, extremists want to undo Connecticut v. Griswold in not allowing contraception. And it is just a faith-based notion that abstinence only sex education works: those children who do not learn of proper contraception will have more STD's and pregnancies when they finally engage in sex. Again let us use reason and real facts, not whims in debating these issues![ And let us protest genital mutilation and honor killings- more faith-based notions.] Fr.Griggs rests in his Socratic ignorance[ He knows his limitations .] and humble naturalism[ real facts]. He might be wrong!

john
john 08/24/07 - 09:43 am
Part of the problem with

Part of the problem with foster care is that it takes too much for the state to terminate parental rights. So many kids go to foster care just to go back to their [filtered word]parents who will then continue to neglect and abuse them. I mean, look at the story last week about the kids found in the nasty house with trash and waste, and bugs in it. The parents didn'g give a rats ... about those kids. What happens? They get parenting classes. what a bunch of crap. Lock them up and adopt those kids to people who want to be parents. Quit treating [filtered word]parents like vicitims all the time. this is not an arguement for abortion. I am very pro life. I wish we could create life, but we were not blessed with it. Abortion is sad when there are so many couples that want to be parents but have to adopt overseas to get away from the Jerry Springer BS drama here. Want choice? Choose to keep your pants on. Choices bring responsibilty. Adopt! Ok, getting off my soapbox ;-)