Parents might have to pay for kids' misdeeds

The next time Johnny decides to call in a bomb threat to a school, he might not be the only person in trouble.

The Georgia School Boards Association is considering asking legislators to hold parents accountable for violent acts, theft, vandalism and terroristic threats committed by their children during school hours. That could include passing the bill for responding to bomb threats to parents.

The proposal is among a list of issues the association will discuss with lawmakers in the next session of the General Assembly, said Dr. Don Rooks, who works on legislative matters for the association.

State Rep. Quincy Murphy, who leads the Augusta delegation, has been looking for a way to prevent bomb threats that disrupted classes more than 100 times in Richmond County schools last year.

"Someone needs to be held accountable, and in order for our kids to learn, they need to be in the classroom," Mr. Murphy said. "What our community has gone through is ridiculous."

The threats were such a nuisance last year that representatives of the school board, sheriff's office, judicial system and FBI held a special meeting to coordinate efforts to prevent the threats and catch and prosecute the culprits.

There were 133 bomb threats called in last year in Richmond County, and another one occurred on the first school day this year.

"We cannot continue to operate our schools like this," Mr. Murphy said. "We want (students) to have the type of atmosphere that is conducive to learning."

School board members also want a resolution.

"I think it's a great idea. Maybe parents can start stressing you don't play pranks like that," board member Venus Cain said.

Most parents are trying to do the right thing, she said. A law like this might get the attention of those who are not.

Reach Greg Gelpi at (706) 828-3851 or greg.gelpi@augustachronicle.com.

BOMB THREATS

2005-06: 21

2006-07: 133

Source: Richmond County Board of Education

WhyAugusta
WhyAugusta 08/23/07 - 12:44 pm
Yes I own two

Yes I own two business's.Family run.My wife works full time from home.She has two jobs including the kids!!!

misscj0123
misscj0123 08/23/07 - 12:49 pm
Nikaya that is good. But not

Nikaya that is good. But not all of us can work from home. That does not mean we are bad parents or that our children are bad. Many of us have to hire a babysitter while we work or see if a relative will help out. I agree that at least one parent should be able to raise the kids at home; but, unfortuantely it is not always like that.

WhyAugusta
WhyAugusta 08/23/07 - 01:08 pm
I have no problem with

I have no problem with daycare or family members.Your right that doesnt mean your bad parents/kids.I don't trust anyone with my kids but me and my wife.Alot of people do use daycare etc in excess.If your at home chilling eating ice cream watching tv and your kids are at daycare then yes your are using daycare as a means to raise your kids.On your day off if all your kids are at daycare and your doing nothing then there is a problem.Daycare shouldnt be used as a way to "get rid of the kids for awhile" though we all do need breaks at times.Alot of people abuse it.Your child should not be at day are from the tim it opens to the time it closes everyday.

misscj0123
misscj0123 08/23/07 - 01:11 pm
I totally agree with that

I totally agree with that nikaya.

BOOGIE21
BOOGIE21 08/23/07 - 01:54 pm
i totally agree with

i totally agree with common-sense-justice and mou10man 100%

Chuchi
Chuchi 08/23/07 - 01:55 pm
Parents are often held

Parents are often held accountable for their minor children's actions. For instance, if a 16-year-old driver causes an automobile accident, the parents foot the bill. If a 15-year-old girl has a party at her house when her parents aren't home and her drunken friends kill someone while driving home, the girl's parents legally have a share in the responsibility. So perhaps if the parents of these bomb threat callers are held fiscally responsible for their children's actions, they will be forced to step up to the plate and dish out serious consequences to their kids. When I was a teenager, I remember thinking "My dad would kill me," when I was tempted to do bad things. But even if the bill passes, I have little doubt that it will be challenged in the State Supreme Court and it will be subsequently overturned.

kiddspur
kiddspur 08/23/07 - 02:20 pm
The board of education

The board of education applied to the seat of knowledge has never hurt any child when done proper --- and it neds to start at home, not school and DSS-- if applied proper at home it will never get to to the other -- Besides parents need to take more time listen and looking too what their children are listening to on Ipods, tv and etc......Most kids only repeat what they hear at home and in public!!!!!

WhyAugusta
WhyAugusta 08/23/07 - 03:58 pm
I've never heard of a child

I've never heard of a child calling a bomb threat to there own house.Maybe the problems lies at school..

bone
bone 08/23/07 - 05:52 pm
you are a jerk, ripbones. i

you are a jerk, ripbones. i love my job & i enjoy teaching in GA. the fact that stupid politicians pass idiotic laws like HB 182 with little input from educators indicates that educators have very little voice in the process of steering the educational rudder. the dept. of ed. in ga is a joke. that was the point of my post, not that i hoped to change GA from a right-to-work state to a unionized labor force. i also stick by my original comment: saturday school / extended day are awful ideas. punishing parents is wrong and would not stand up in any court of law (i hope).

javona13
javona13 08/23/07 - 06:46 pm
I dont agree with the parents

I dont agree with the parents paying for their childern misdeed but i do believe its part of the parents responsibility for the childs behavior