- Blue for Kids Inc., a non-profit organization founded by professional sports officials for community outreach, will hold a charity baseball tournament at Riverside Park in Evans on Aug. 25-26 in conjunction with the Columbia County Recreation Department and the Augusta GreenJackets. The tournament will feature three age groups (10-under, 12-under and 14-under). All money raised will benefit the Blue for Kids Foundation. Cost is $300 per team. For more information, visit blueforkids.com or contact Ted Miller at (706) 564-0051 or email@example.com.
- The University of Georgia Season Kickoff Barbecue and tribute to Loran Smith will be held Aug. 23 at Julian Smith Casino. Scheduled to appear are Vince Dooley, Dan McGill, Sonny Seiler, Theron Sapp and Augusta-area Georgia lettermen. There will be a special season preview by Jeff Dantzler of the Bulldog Radio Network. Cost is $20 for adults and $10 for children 12-and-under. Tickets are available at all Queensborough National Bank and Tudors Cleaners locations.
- Augusta Recreation and Parks will hold registration through Aug. 31 for adult fall flag football leagues. Call (706) 842-2682 for more information.
- The American Cancer Society is bringing together two well-known events this year, the Championship Golf Tournament and Shag For A Cure (formerly the Summer Beach Party). Both events will be held Friday. The golf tournament will be held at North Augusta's River Golf Club, and Augusta's own Vaughn Taylor will serve as the honorary chair. The tournament will get under way at 8:30 a.m., with a shotgun start. Breakfast and lunch will be provided. There will also be a live auction of golf memorabilia and more. After the golf tournament, Shag For A Cure will be held at Julian Smith Casino from 7-11 p.m. The cost for a team of four for the golf tournament is $800. Tickets for Shag For A Cure are $75 apiece. For information, call (706) 731-9900 or (866) 227-0904.
- Cedar Creek Golf Club in Aiken will be the next stop for the Augusta Amateur Golf Tour on Saturday. The entry fee is $70, which includes cart and greens fees, range balls. For more information, call tour director Phil Robinson at (706) 414-1170 or visit www.amateurgolftour.net.
- The Late Summer Golf Classic, to benefit Walk for Autism, Augusta and the First Tee of Augusta, will be held Aug. 20 at West Lake Country Club. Registration and breakfast will begin at 8 a.m. There will be a shotgun start at 9:30. For more information, contact Jill Brown, director of the First Tee of Augusta at (706) 364-4653 or at firstname.lastname@example.org; Trevor Collins, executor of Walk for Autism, at (706) 840-2034 or at email@example.com; or Frank Lee, parent volunteer for Walk for Autism, at (706) 829-5072 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Try outs for the South Aiken Girls Golf team will begin Tuesday, from 4-6 p.m. at Woodside Plantation driving range. Girls entering grades 7-12 at South Aiken High School may attend. For more information, call 642-0053.
- The Augusta Rowing Club offers a monthly learn to row program for adults. For information, call David Young at (803) 279-6302 or visit www.augustarowingclub.org.
- The Augusta Junior Rowing Team is holding an open house Aug. 28 from 6-8 p.m. at the Boathouse, located at 101 Riverfront Drive in Augusta. Youth ages 13-18 may join the team on a trial basis, beginning Sept. 4-14 from 4-6 p.m. More information is available at www.augustarowingclub.org.
- A men's Class C, D, E, Church and Co-Ed tournament will be held at Harrison-Caver Park in Clearwater, S.C. on Saturday. A $150 entry fee is due by Thursday. Prizes will be awarded to the top three teams with 10 or more teams registered. Contact Charles Parrish at (803) 593-4293; Traci Banks at (803) 593-5222; or Harrison-Caver Park at (803) 593-4698 for more information.
- Petersburg Racquet Club is offering free adult and junior tennis lessons. Adult lessons will be held Aug. 23 and 30, from 7-8:30 p.m. Junior lessons will be held Saturday and Sept. 1, from noon to 1:30 p.m. The staff will offer a six-week follow-up program for interested adult players, beginning Sept. 6, and for juniors, beginning Sept. 8. For more information, contact the club at (706) 860-9288.