Across the area

Man reports assault, theft

Two men robbed a 52-year-old Augusta man of more than $300 early Saturday, a Richmond County sheriff's report said.

The robbery occurred at about 1:30 a.m. in the 2800 block of Jordan Street. The victim told police that two men hit him with an unknown object and stole $340 from his pocket. One of the robbers fired a gun at the man, missing him, he told police.

The report said the victim had a small cut below his right eye and was "highly intoxicated." Emergency personnel took the man to a hospital.

Emergency personnel took the man to a hospital.

Woman videotapes theft of $4 from car

A 59-year-old Hephzibah woman told police that someone broke into her car at her home Friday night and stole $4 in change, a Richmond County sheriff's report said.

According to the report, the woman has the suspect on video breaking into her 2007 Toyota Camry at her home in the 2700 block of Lyncrest Drive in Hephzibah.

The report said there was no damage to the car.

Police stop motorist using tire stop sticks

Richmond County authorities arrested an Augusta man early Saturday after he led officers on a chase down River Watch Parkway, a sheriff's report said.

Stanley Dumas Jr. is in jail on charges of obstructing a law enforcement officer and numerous traffic offenses.

According to the report, Mr. Dumas fled police in his 1989 Mercury Tracer until all of his tires were hit with stop sticks.

He lost control of his car and ran onto some railroad tracks as he attempted to turn left onto Claussen Road, the report said.

Mr. Dumas fought and resisted the officers' attempts to arrest him, and in the process broke the right pinky finger of one of the officers, the report said.

Late-night closures will continue on I-20

The Georgia Department of Transportation said there will be lane closures throughout this month on both sides of Interstate 20.

The closures will occur between 9 p.m. and 6 a.m. and will be near Belair Road and Bobby Jones Expressway.

Crews also will be closing portions of Bobby Jones Expressway and around the area from Wheeler Road to Scott Nixon Memorial Drive.

Fort Gordon to focus on women's equality

Fort Gordon will observe Women's Equality Day from 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. on Aug. 21 in the Gordon Club's Magnolia Room on 19th Street.

Lessie Price, of Washington Savannah River Co., will speak on "Breaking the Glass Ceiling and the Importance of Voting."

For more information or to register, call (706) 791-4551 or e-mail deanstk@gordon.army.mil before Wednesday.

Academy will hold night swamp hike

The staff of the Southeastern Natural Sciences Academy will lead a midsummer night hike through Phinizy Swamp Nature Park's wetlands Thursday.

The hike, part of the academy's Family Discovery Series, begins at 7:30 p.m., and the park's Pfizer Pavilion will be open for picnicking at 6:30 p.m.

A $3 donation per family is suggested, and reservations are not necessary.

For more information, call (706) 828-2109.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 08/12/07 - 05:14 am
Great! a swamp hike at night.

Great! a swamp hike at night. Do snakes bite at night? They sure are harder to see at night.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 08/12/07 - 05:17 am
A 52 yr old man staggered

A 52 yr old man staggered down Jordon street at 1:30am with $340 in his pocket. He got robbed. Who knew something like that could happen?

PFLY775
PFLY775 08/12/07 - 07:33 am
I'm sure there is a trail

I'm sure there is a trail that they take the hike on....and not just romp through the swamp. Snakes don't like to be around us just like we don't like to be around them. I used to live in rattler territory in Texas.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 08/12/07 - 08:05 am
I've been walking trails in

I've been walking trails in the woods and swamps in this area for more then thirty years. I see snakes on paths and just off paths on a regular basis. I 'm very familiar with the four poisonous snakes in this area and am familiar with their habits. The coral snake is the only nocturnal one of the bunch, but is quite small and chews instead of strikes. Not that big of a problem on a hike. If, however, a rattler is bedded down near a path and is disturbed by a passing line of people, danger is eminent..

BamaMan
BamaMan 08/12/07 - 08:42 am
Do people just not have any

Do people just not have any brains? To walk ANYWHERE at night with lots of cash, and especially in known bad parts of town? If I were that stupid, I sure wouldn't report it!

mgroothand
mgroothand 08/12/07 - 09:02 am
Patricia: EMINENT: "of

Patricia: EMINENT: "of imposing height; especially standing out above others" I believe you meant imminent.

Chuchi
Chuchi 08/12/07 - 09:10 am
I like the headline "Police

I like the headline "Police stop motorist using tire stop sticks". For a second there I thought it meant that a motorist was using tire stop sticks and the police made him quit. Ha!

heartablazing69
heartablazing69 08/12/07 - 09:18 am
Reporters forgot the "B" and

Reporters forgot the "B" and the "S" in the story about the car chase on Riverwatch. The guy didn't have a chance to outrun the cops especially in a Mercury Tracer. What a Dumas!! You can put the missing letters where they belong.

karmakills123
karmakills123 08/12/07 - 09:30 am
I agree with you

I agree with you Patricia....night hiking in a swamp is not cool....(and the spelling police seem to have arrived).......wandering around drunk at night...???oh well................

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 08/12/07 - 09:33 am
thank you mgroothand. I know

thank you mgroothand. I know better then to post without checking the spelling of each word. you are right, I put down the wrong M&NT

NEone
NEone 08/12/07 - 09:37 am
Why would anyone, at anytime

Why would anyone, at anytime of the day, drunk or sober, carry around a lot of cash? It seems to be common around here and I just don't get it.

mgroothand
mgroothand 08/12/07 - 09:54 am
Patricia: I read everything

Patricia: I read everything you write because you do that so well and I happen to agree with you 99% of the time. Once in while I have to get a dig in but, not bad coming from a "furriner"?

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 08/12/07 - 10:01 am
mgroothand, you're eagle eye

mgroothand, you're eagle eye keeps me humble.

SCRebel1
SCRebel1 08/12/07 - 03:39 pm
Patricia I'm not sure where

Patricia I'm not sure where you get your information but one thing is for certain, cottomouth water moccasins are primarily active and readily hunt prey at night. Typically they bask in the warming sun during the daytime. You may want to brush up on Herpetology 101 before you venture off too far off those trails you take.

cris5374
cris5374 08/12/07 - 04:10 pm
a simple "hey augusta, not

a simple "hey augusta, not only am i an idiot ,but i am drunk and i have lots of money in my pocket would have sufficed

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 08/12/07 - 04:25 pm
Thanks SCRebel1, all

Thanks SCRebel1, all information is appreciated. Consider me brushed. I don't believe I mentioned cottonmouth or copperhead. They of course are the other two poisonous snakes in this area.

ladie
ladie 08/12/07 - 06:10 pm
why are you people so stupid

why are you people so stupid to even want to go in a swamp in the dark?? not only are there snakes in the swamp,but deer, raccoons,and maybe even a bear,why please don,t have us tax payers paying for yall unnessecary hospital bills b/c you are crazy!!!!

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 08/12/07 - 06:24 pm
except for the bears, those

except for the bears, those really aren't scary or dangerous critters ladie. Walking in the swamp after dark does even the odds for the animals safety though. Snakes are most dangerous when you can't see them and the swamp has plenty of snakes. The only bear I've seen in the south was at Yellow River Preserve in Stone Mountain. Plenty of Georgia black bear there.

bayouboogie
bayouboogie 08/13/07 - 12:17 am
4 dollars in change? I guess

4 dollars in change? I guess she thought he was leaving the country with her money. How far can you get with four dollars today?

asoldier
asoldier 08/13/07 - 12:50 am
The issue wasn't how far she

The issue wasn't how far she thought he could get on her $4. The issue is the fact that someone came onto her property broke into her car and stole from her. How much they took is not important. Would you feel better if he had stolen $4000 or would you blame her for having that much in her car? Lets stop pointing fingers and casting blame on victims here.

Many black colleges struggling

Although Paine has struggled with its own failures over the past several years, HBCUs across the nation are dealing with some of the same troubles that are threatening their missions and existence.