Brown trustee pays up, quits

AIKEN - A trustee of the estate of the late James Brown resigned Friday amid allegations that he misappropriated $350,000 of the internationally known performer's money.

Cannon (center)  Annette M. Drowlette/Staff
Annette M. Drowlette/Staff
Cannon (center)

David Cannon handed over a check for that amount during a court hearing that could have seen a judge remove him from his duties as executor of the singer's will.

That wasn't the only surprise during the four-hour hearing. With nearly two dozen attorneys in court to represent various individuals wrangling over the music legend's estate, it was revealed that:

- Mr. Brown's estate might be broke. The court-appointed attorneys who are helping settle the estate told other lawyers behind closed doors Friday that the estate and trusts that will be funded by his music royalties appear to have a "zero balance." Louis Levenson, the Atlanta attorney representing several of the singer's children, said it's not yet clear how much money is left or where it went.

- Before he died, Mr. Brown was given an "allowance" of $100,000 a month, though Mr. Levenson said his firm is still trying to find out where the singer's money went.

- Mr. Brown's former pastor has filed a motion to intervene on behalf of the needy children who are supposed to benefit from the James Brown "I Feel Good" Trust, which was created to pay for the educational needs of poor children in South Carolina and Georgia. The Rev. Larry Fryer said he's worried the money is being squandered by all the court battles.

- One of the singer's grandsons said all the legal battles over his grandfather's estate have created a rift in the family, and he accused his aunts and uncles of trying to break the trusts to get their father's money.

"People are greedy," said Forlando Brown, a student at the University of West Georgia.

He said that he, his brother and his father, Terry Brown, have been ostracized by the rest of the family for siding with the trustees.

He said his grandfather wanted needy children to be taken care of after his death and that "greed" has caused many of the arguments since Mr. Brown died on Christmas Day at age 73.

The Rev. Fryer also said he is concerned about all the squabbling. Mr. Brown created two educational trusts: one to pay for school expenses for his grandchildren and the other for needy youngsters. But many of the legal bills will likely be paid by any money in those trusts.

"If we're paying all of the money to all of the legal sources," the Rev. Fryer asked, "what's left for the children? Why have a will if you're not going to respect the wishes of the one who wrote the will?"

That was one issue that was not addressed during the court hearing in front of 2nd Judicial Circuit Judge Jack Early, who had to schedule another hearing for Sept. 24 to follow up on concerns raised previously and on Friday.

He did accept Mr. Cannon's resignation as both the singer's personal representative - essentially co-executor of the will - and as trustee of the two trusts.

The court-appointed attorneys, Adele Pope and Robert Buchanan, had accused Mr. Cannon in papers filed recently of possibly misappropriating $350,000 of the singer's money just before he died. That money was returned Friday.

The other two trustees - Buddy Dallas and Alford Bradley - have been allowed to stay on, although their removal could be one of the issues argued at the September hearing.

Mr. Levenson still has a pending motion that accuses them of violating a court order not to sell off assets of the estate, and he said Friday that they have also not been adequately complying with an order to turn over financial and legal documents.

Judge Early didn't rule on that accusation - instead ordering that documents be turned over - but he said he would rule accordingly if it's proven.

"If I find any records that have been hidden or destroyed, somebody's going to answer," he said.

Reach Sandi Martin at (803) 648-1395, ext. 111, or sandi.martin@augustachronicle.com.

cparker
cparker 08/11/07 - 03:43 pm
BocaRaton, I personally

BocaRaton, I personally believe you are lying that you are black because you seem to swallow aweful deep for someone to insult blacks like Give it a rest did and you don't have a problem with it. Black personalities are abused by people on this site a lot and now by BocaRaton who is suppose to be black....Yeah you are definitely a sell out. I am not suggesting you support it because it is a black subject, I am admonishing BocaRaton for supporting the obvious racial insult...There is no way you are black unless you painted yourself.

chmckin
chmckin 08/11/07 - 03:56 pm
David Cannon should be

David Cannon should be brought up on charges.

GOD almighty1
GOD almighty1 08/11/07 - 03:59 pm
HAHAHAHAHA. Richmond County

HAHAHAHAHA. Richmond County Resident, I could come down to your level, calling people sewage, rednecks, scum, bigots, etc. However, I'm not like that. If you want to resort to childish name calling, that is fine. I resent the fact that you call me racist, with absolutely no proof. I simply stated the facts as I saw them. I have nothing against James Brown as a person and a musician, but one must look at the less than admirable things he has done. To overlook them and go about singing his praises for only the positive things he has done is to be close minded.

What is with people these days? If you make a comment about a woman, you're a bigot. If you make a comment about a man, you're a feminist. Make a comment about a black person, and you are labeled as a racist. It is ridiculous. That is where the display name comes from. People seem to think that they are God, and that their opinions carry that kind of glorious might. I'll be the first to say that my views are that of my own, and the opinion of close-minded, judgmental people like Richmond County Resident and 0430 really don't matter to me.

wise
wise 08/11/07 - 04:50 pm

Please copy and paste this link to find out the truth. It is a shame that Augusta is to close minded to realize the works of a musical genuis.

Brad Owens
Brad Owens 08/11/07 - 05:23 pm
James Brown was a one of a

James Brown was a one of a kind musical genuis. To the idiot that called him an 'overated bum', you a a complete IDIOT. The man INVENTED a type of music. He is loved and admired the wrold over for his music and the impact it had on the entire industry. There is no race issue here on the side of Mr. Brown just from you hate filled bigots. He had a dishonest group of 'bums' like you all use him and steal from him his whole career. I am just glad this one was caught and forced to return the money. Too bad they can't do that all the way back to 1965 huh? If they could there would be MILLIONS in the coffer and there would be a few less redneck attorneys driving Jaguars. Stupid racist white redneck Augustans. You idiots eat feces and swear its apple sauce. RIP Godfather.

Dr. Pepper
Dr. Pepper 08/11/07 - 07:11 pm
James Brown is DEAD......no

James Brown is DEAD......no one cares where his money goes or has went. We dont care about who is in charge of his estate. I wish AC had something better to write about. GOD almighty, youre right on and as usual Brad Owens is an idiot.

tired of idiots
tired of idiots 08/11/07 - 07:27 pm
please all of you JB haters

please all of you JB haters adhere to the post name!!!!

RichmondCountyResident1
RichmondCountyResident1 08/11/07 - 07:52 pm
You see Dr. Pepper is one of

You see Dr. Pepper is one of racist scumbags I was talking about.James Brown did more for Augusta than a thousand of these nobodies.God almighty,it is amazing you want get into name calling, when in fact you called James Brown a crackpot and Michael Vick a pot smoking, dog fighter.The only 60's icon that's washed up is you bigots,it's 2007 and we will stand up to you and your kind.I'm not talking about all whites, just you bigots.I never liked Dr. Pepper anyway.

cparker
cparker 08/11/07 - 08:21 pm
God almighty, would you feel

God almighty, would you feel different about James Brown if he had spit on people and died of an overdose? Would James Brown be entitled to his own Graceland in your mind? James Brown did many things that shamed himself and others, but he remained generous and affectionate towards Augusta. Every Augusta mayor for the past two decades have stood in the cold and rain to give toys and food to the most disadvantaged people in Augusta. I admire him for that because Thanksgiving and Christmas for many will change since his death. Deke Coppenhaver admitted that James Brown and his causes will have an everlasting affect on Augusta. I am scared to walk on 9th Street, but James Brown and the former mayors brought some gifts, food, & love to people that most would care to forget about or avoid. Everyone has skelton's in the closet, but the greater good of mankind is what makes us beautiful. JB was no role model for plenty of reasons, but he did right by Augusta. People around the world know Augusta for golf and James Brown. Just wait until Thanksgiving & Christmas and we will see how significant JB is and will be to Augusta.

bone
bone 08/11/07 - 09:21 pm
miss soul, i am speaking of

miss soul, i am speaking of fred wesley, jabo starks, and clyde stubblefield. they were around during the lean-to-fabulous years and they can't be bribed to say a nice thing about j.b. i respect the music that j.b. made, but i believe he had some issues both public and private.

Give it a rest
Give it a rest 08/11/07 - 09:34 pm
Just to clear any doubt. I

Just to clear any doubt. I respect the opinions and relationships that those who knew James Brown had with him. That said, you should also know that I was a nurse who took care of him not just once but many times. He was rude, condescending and totally obnoxious with a holier than thou attitude. I could care less what color or nationality a patient is. Everyone has red blood. I also know that he had little respect for law enforcement. This I know because on more than one occassion he degraded police who responded to his...excuse me...Beech Island home...NOT Augusta.
For the record, I happen to think that Paris Hilton, and all the other lawbreakers receive preferential treatment. I lost a nephew to drunk driving and think DUI first should carry a long jail term. It would seem that if you have enough money, you can get away with anything.....drugs, dui, and murder. Oh, those have already been done. My bad!

cajunnana2000
cajunnana2000 08/12/07 - 01:20 am
How soon we tend to forget or

How soon we tend to forget or do we just have selactive memories. Maybe because I'm a little older, I can see where a lot of "stars" had certain problems but for some reason it is ok to forget some and remember others. Just think about a few like Elvis, Johnny Cash, Jerry Lee Lewis Ray Charles, come on you can think of others that did things that were not pleasent in all eyesights. Like drugs, income tax evasion and other unlawful acts. Some ever had sex with and married child brides, but it was ok, now an 17 year old cannot have consential sex with a minor. For he gets "LIFE". Are we worried about the porblem or what color the person is that commits it. Anyway, how did James Brown's income ore lifestyle effect yours?

cajunnana2000
cajunnana2000 08/12/07 - 01:34 am
And for the "nurse" that seem

And for the "nurse" that seem to have just happen to be on duty, or maybe was his private nurse, I ask this-- was he the ONLY person that was rude, condescending and totally obnoxious and had an attitude in your nursing career. And to say that everyone has red blood must be something only nurses know. Now that you have said your say, what does it prove or change? And Money is not the only thing that determines justice, just as you lost a nephew to DUI, others have lost relatives to hangings,drownings,shootings, beatings you name it, YOU are not "special"

lokalloudness
lokalloudness 08/12/07 - 01:52 am
After reading all the posts

After reading all the posts of people who don't know Mr. Brown or those in his company it's easy to see why there is a problem with Mr. Brown's estate. Augusta is filled with people that just enjoy hearing themselves talk (or in this case watch themselves type) about things that are none of their business and obviously, since very few of the mean-spirited commentors have made any intelligent points, have no clue what they are talking about. I guess if many Augustans could have their way, this town would only be known for it's high society golf tournament. Now that I think about it, while Mr. Brown always believed in people of all color, (he consistently employed white musicians the majority of his career), the Augusta National has always lived under a shroud of racial accusations. But I guess what's OK for the Country Club crowd ain't always allowed for we common folk. All I can add is, enjoy the free tickets your attorney or doctor buddy gets you for the Futurity or whatever uptight event you attend in the....JAMES BROWN ARENA.

GOD almighty1
GOD almighty1 08/12/07 - 01:09 pm
Richmond County Resident, it

Richmond County Resident, it is not name calling to simply state facts. James Brown and Michael Vick have both been caught with drugs, thus the labels. Yet, you love to call people racists and scumbags with absolutely no proof.
I find it funny that Richmond County Resident started making comments about me assuming that I am a white man, calling me a bigot and and a racist and referring to my "kind." I have never once claimed to be white, seeing as I am not. It looks as if Richmond County Resident is jumping to conclusions about "white people" on the whole. If I made comments calling any black person a bigot or started to referring to "their kind," it would be a mortal sin. However, Richmond County Resident can say unfounded things like that about white people and that is perfectly fine. It looks as if someone is a little racist. And if you can learn by example, Richmond County Resident, I backed up that statement with proof, something you still have not done.

EdithPiaf
EdithPiaf 08/12/07 - 04:37 pm
Dr. Pepper, if you didn't

Dr. Pepper, if you didn't care, you wouldn't have clicked on this headline and you wouldn't be posting here, liar.

intheknow
intheknow 08/12/07 - 09:04 pm
god almighty, where is your

god almighty, where is your proof that Vick is a dog fighter. I do not care if you are white or black or anything else, you do not have the right to make the statements that you do and not expect to get called on it.

owensjef
owensjef 08/12/07 - 09:35 pm
God almighty is not white , I

God almighty is not white , I will bet my life you are white you coward.

bayouboogie
bayouboogie 08/13/07 - 12:05 am
Vick has to change up and

Vick has to change up and fight pigs and leave the dogs alone.

bayouboogie
bayouboogie 08/13/07 - 12:09 am
cajunanna2000, You're right

cajunanna2000, You're right Elvis was a fat bloated junkie, but is still loved by millions. Many stars have personal problems.

As It Is
As It Is 08/13/07 - 03:00 am
James Brown did many positive

James Brown did many positive things for this community and he clearly intended to do well with his will by leaving the money to children and his grandchildren as well as future royalties. Kudos to Forlando Brown and the respective family members wishing to respect the wishes within the will. Laurie Ott did an excellent job showing many positive things James Brown has done within and for our community and in his passing we need not dwell on other issues.

coco rubio
coco rubio 08/13/07 - 03:18 am
rip gfos

rip gfos

EEL337
EEL337 08/13/07 - 06:41 am
say what you want about james

say what you want about james brown. there are hundreds if not thousands of people across the country who have the same personal problems that he had. now let's contrast that with his contributions to our community, to music, to easing racial tension in a time when such battles resulted in ENTIRE NEIGHBORHOODS GETTING BURNT TO THE GROUND! how many people that had to battle the presonal demons that brown had can say that they were still able to conduct world tours and attended to the business that the godfather of soul did. and let's just remember, no one ever erected a statue of a critic. PEACE

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 08/13/07 - 07:58 am
James Brown did not stop the

James Brown did not stop the riots in Augusta, the people would not listen to him. What stopped those riots in Augusta was James Beck with a 45 Cal. Thompson submachine gun and a shoot to kill order!

G.R.I.T.S
G.R.I.T.S 08/13/07 - 07:58 am
James Brown was and still is

James Brown was and still is a joke. His "funeral" was a joke. Let it go. His children are greedy and could care less about him being dead. They have waited a long time for him to kick the bucket and are mad because all he left them with are debts. I say it's time to move on and forgot about it. The only good thing James Brown did was die. At least the lies about him being so wonderful can now stop. His music was horrible and he looked stupid trying to dance to it. I'm sick and tired of all the attention he has gotten just because he lived in Augusta. Augusta is the laughing stock of the south. Thank GOD I don't live in Richmond County. I'd be ashamed to let anyone know where I came from if I did.

Give credit where due
Give credit where due 08/13/07 - 08:41 am
James Brown , gave away

James Brown , gave away turkeys , and toys that were donated by stores to people less fortunate .. James Brown simply used the publicity to his advange. As far as the trust goes , His wishes should be carried out . After all is that not what a will is for ? I wonder if any of this would be going on if he could speak now ? Regardless of the wrongs he did , he is the one who had to face his maker ! My advice would be , let his children sort thru this and get the nasty lil fingers out of the pie , they are the ones who will have to live with the results good or bad.

intheknow
intheknow 08/13/07 - 09:52 am
The last three posts, shows

The last three posts, shows what idiots we still have on this earth. What have any of you done to better the world? What poor child have you done anything for? Have you gotten any sponsors to donate one thin dime anyone?

NANF
NANF 08/13/07 - 11:57 am
Re: G.R.I.T.S comment. You

Re: G.R.I.T.S comment. You are right. The whole JB thing is such a farce. Could it be that all his kids might have to go to work? Oh my!!!! Maybe they can be the " hardest working kids", just like daddy? They will get what they give. Slim to none. Good luck kiddies.

G.R.I.T.S
G.R.I.T.S 08/13/07 - 12:41 pm
intheknow, you obviously

intheknow, you obviously AREN't!. James Brown "handed" out the turkeys. He didn't pay for them. He "handed" out the toys, he didn't pay for them. For you information, I DO give to needy children and I DO give back to my community. Every year, I and hundreds of others adopt a child that we help clothe, feed, educate, and care for. The dollars I spend on these children are only a drop in the bucket, but every drop counts. Some of them have NEVER had a stable homelife. I do not seek, nor do I want attention drawn to my deeds. James Brown would not have done anything unless it was going to be publicized and get him in the paper and on TV. It was all for show. Any man that would beat his wife is not much of a man and not worth ANYTHING in my eyes. So, before you say you are "intheknow" get all of your facts.

moneyman1035
moneyman1035 08/13/07 - 01:06 pm
From what I understand is

From what I understand is James Brown was broke when he died what money he had he spent, Buddy Dallas and others lent him money for the rights to his estate and music and such. So these men are either lying or they are robbing his family blind. I guess you have to figure out what James Brown made in recent years and what he spent in recent years to know if that is true.