Man's body found in car

An Athens man was found dead of natural causes Wednesday in the parking lot of the Evans Wal-Mart, authorities said. The name of the 46-year-old man was not released pending the notification of his next of kin, said Columbia County Deputy Coroner Harriett Garrison. Columbia County authorities say the man was found just after 4 p.m. by a passerby who saw him in his parked Jaguar sedan. A missing person report filed in Athens-Clarke County states the man had been missing since Sunday, Mrs. Garrison said.  Jim Blaylock/Staff
Jim Blaylock/Staff
stillamazed
stillamazed 08/09/07 - 06:19 am
A 46 year old dead of natural

A 46 year old dead of natural causes? What is natural about a 46 year old dying? And missing since last Sunday, sounds strange to me.. Bless his family.

InChristLove
InChristLove 08/09/07 - 07:20 am
My thoughts exactly! How

My thoughts exactly! How does a 46 year old man die of natural causes. Could he possibly have had a heart attack (which to me is not natural for a 46 year old male) but they listed natural causes to explain that there wasn't foul play?

Equaltreatmentforall
Equaltreatmentforall 08/09/07 - 07:25 am
How in the world did they

How in the world did they determine natural cause in less than a day?

prsguitarplayer
prsguitarplayer 08/09/07 - 07:30 am
Walmart security should have

Walmart security should have picked this up - not a 'passer-by'.
Also, how do you determine 'natural death' so fast - unless there was a known health problem.

My prayers and condolences go out to this family.

whitescorpion
whitescorpion 08/09/07 - 07:34 am
I guess they mean natural

I guess they mean natural versus a gun shot for example. Maybe they should have said "no foul play."

intheknow
intheknow 08/09/07 - 07:34 am
Please tell me this man has

Please tell me this man has not been in that car since he was reported missing Sunday.

fred1
fred1 08/09/07 - 07:36 am
It may have been that he

It may have been that he wanted to die and chose to take his own life. Which should be considered a "natural cause."

aintryt
aintryt 08/09/07 - 07:37 am
My Uncle died in his 40's of

My Uncle died in his 40's of a heart attack, my mother at 56, both of my aunts had heart attacks in their 40's as well (they survived) so it is possible. The body can give you obvious signs that a heart attack occurred particulary the color of the head from the blood being blocked from coming out of it (red head - white body)

butterflygina
butterflygina 08/09/07 - 07:45 am
the car is parked a long way

the car is parked a long way from the store. i also pray for his family and hope he hadn't been out there since Sunday. What the heck they pay those wal-mart security for, to ride around looking at everybody like they the police.

Sciencegeek
Sciencegeek 08/09/07 - 07:57 am
If he has been in that car

If he has been in that car for longer than an hour, then he died from heat stroke. The question is, why was he sitting in the car in this heat?

september 5th
september 5th 08/09/07 - 07:59 am
so much for walmart security!

so much for walmart security! try to park on the curb to bring out something heavy and the little men will run you off...park for 3 days DEAD and they will not even notice!

september 5th
september 5th 08/09/07 - 08:01 am
by the way aintryt, how do

by the way aintryt, how do you know the man had a white body...was it the fact that he was driving a jaguar sedan?

frodo399
frodo399 08/09/07 - 08:05 am
I am sorry for the loss of

I am sorry for the loss of life. My prayers are with the family.
Odd, all over America, WalMart security is accused of being almost non-existant. Here in the Augusta area, WalMart Security borders on the Nazi SS. Nice to see those quality security people, the ones that harass people for the places they park, the ones who attempt to spark violent confrontations, finally shown for the ineptitude they really possess.
Congrats WalMart Security, you reek.

Brenda_G
Brenda_G 08/09/07 - 08:08 am
If I heard the local news

If I heard the local news report last night I understood them to say someone SAW the man drive into the parking lot, back into a space and slump over the wheel. I think it is unfair to assume security isn't doing their job before all the facts are on the table.

Brenda_G
Brenda_G 08/09/07 - 08:10 am
* If I heard the report

* If I heard the report correctly.

misscj0123
misscj0123 08/09/07 - 08:10 am
oh here we go....I think aint

oh here we go....I think aint meant the head would be a different color than the body is. Please get off the racial thing.

september 5th
september 5th 08/09/07 - 08:10 am
brenda g, READ THE

brenda g, READ THE ARTICLE...the car was there for several days..security did not notice or act on the fact that the car did not move for days..it ain't rocket science coming to the conclusion that walmart security failed to notice or take action!

misscj0123
misscj0123 08/09/07 - 08:11 am
Brenda if someone seen that,

Brenda if someone seen that, why did they NOT check on him and report it immediately. I would have.

misscj0123
misscj0123 08/09/07 - 08:13 am
Maybe he had not been dead

Maybe he had not been dead since Sunday, only missing. He was not found dead until Wednesday. I guess we will have to wait for an update on details from the news.

aintryt
aintryt 08/09/07 - 08:23 am
get over yourself august 9 -

get over yourself august 9 - I was referring to my mother, but thanks for the stab. Thanks misscj0123

aintryt
aintryt 08/09/07 - 08:24 am
for taking up for me (thanks

for taking up for me (thanks misscj)

mommato2
mommato2 08/09/07 - 08:28 am
I feel really bad, first of

I feel really bad, first of all, for his family and for the man himself; but I also feel bad, b/c yesterday, I was at Walmart and noticed the car there. I noticed it b/c it's a nice looking car, but I just glanced. So I didn't see anyone in it. I feel bad b/c if I'd been looking closer, I could have seen the man, maybe.

Unbelievable
Unbelievable 08/09/07 - 08:29 am
I think if the the car was

I think if the the car was noticed there, with or without someone in it, the security guards should have had the common sense to call the police to at least run the plates. He could have been in the car and died of heat exhaustion. He falls over in the seat, the wal-mart security guard rides by and just sees a parked car. Finally someone parks that far out, they get out of their car and they see this guy laid over on his seat, they tap on the glass, no response, so they call for help.

Brenda_G
Brenda_G 08/09/07 - 08:41 am
August 9th, I have taken your

August 9th, I have taken your suggestion and read the article again. Unless we are reading something different, I failed to see where the article stated he had been there for several days. The one I read said he had been missing since Sunday. And, misscj0123, from the news report on the television, I gathered the person did report what they had seen immediately.

InChristLove
InChristLove 08/09/07 - 08:46 am
"august 9th" - why so

"august 9th" - why so critical today. Maybe you need to read the article again. No where does it state in the article that the car had been parked there for several days, no where in the article does it state the man had been dead for several days. The article states "he had been missing since Sunday" (could have been anywhere from Sunday to Wednesday) and that "he was discovered dead around 4pm on Wednesday by a passerby". Why blame the walmart security - give these people credit. This is a VERY busy shopping area and I'm sure they do the best they can. Until further testing is done, no one really knows how long this man has been dead. I feel for this man's family, and pray God gives them comfort.

misscj0123
misscj0123 08/09/07 - 08:54 am
I would think so too Brenda.

I would think so too Brenda. That is why I was wondering how long the car had been parked outside WalMart.

misscj0123
misscj0123 08/09/07 - 08:58 am
As for Walmart security

As for Walmart security checking the cars in the parking lot, is that what they do? Or do they just watch our for the shoppers? Is that a public parking lot? If the WalMart is open 24/7, then it might not be unusual to see a car parked there for a day or 2, or even a weekend. Some cars have dead batteries, car problems, some people will park there to meet someone else to go off for a day or two. That is why I had said probably need to wait on updated details to find out what really happened.

september 5th
september 5th 08/09/07 - 09:13 am
aintryt, this is a quote from

aintryt, this is a quote from your post...did not sound like you were referring to your mother!

"The body can give you obvious signs that a heart attack occurred particulary the color of the head from the blood being blocked from coming out of it (red head - white body)"

aintryt
aintryt 08/09/07 - 09:21 am
I repeat....get over yourself

I repeat....get over yourself

ripjones
ripjones 08/09/07 - 09:25 am
August_9th - Hey lighten up!!

August_9th - Hey lighten up!! Do you always have a chip on your shoulder, or what. Quit taking things so dang literal.

Everyone else, I agree that it is sad shame that this man died. I pray for his family. Unlike the mall, Wal-Mart does not have security to ride in their little truck, checking the parking lot. There are cameras. Lastly, I agree that people do use several parking lots in the area -- to park, and leave their cars for a couple of days. I also forgot, Wal-Mart provides parking for free, for all RVs. Guess it is a good retail move. There was a RV in the Evans Wal-Mart for several days. I also saw it at Lowe's.

Historic building on Laney campus demolished

The demolition of the 89-year-old Cauley-Wheeler building on the Lucy C. Laney High School campus is over, but the plan for a building that will act as a link to the former site and its story has ...