Garden City or Disgusta?

The Chronicle would like to hear from residents and visitors about Augusta's appearance. What is the most important thing the city can do to improve the way it looks? Vote and leave your comments below.

Curlie56
Curlie56 07/28/07 - 05:48 pm
All of the beautification is

All of the beautification is great...but this place needs a better mass transit system! I am new to the area, and just like to get out and see what is what without my car, but I can't really because the transit goes nowhere, and shuts down to early, and is closed on Sunday's. What I have to do is just continue to sight see close to me, and keep getting lost until I learn the city! I am so DISGUSTED with AUGUSTA! DAMMMM! Did I just hear on chanel 6 news that this commission is about to cut transit...down to what? I hear it's about no advertising on the buses! We have many ads across our buses in Savannah.What transit director wouldn't jump on that money train? OOPS....excuse me..this is Augusta! Sorry!

Tigger
Tigger 07/28/07 - 07:24 pm
I'm moving to Beautiful North

I'm moving to Beautiful North Augusta, SC.
They know how to run a city, and make good use of tax payer's
money. LOOK AT NORTH AUGUSTAS RIVER FRONT IT SAYS IT ALL.

If I must pay high property tax, I'm going to get my monies worth.
Augusta can start by requireing all commisioners have at least a
four year college degree.
Frankly, I'm sick of Augusta!

VickTheLiar
VickTheLiar 07/28/07 - 09:13 pm
Disgusta today, tomorrow and

Disgusta today, tomorrow and next year, Theres no help coming. Will get worse. We all know why.

Spurs07
Spurs07 07/28/07 - 09:57 pm
Augusta is a city that has a

Augusta is a city that has a lot of potential but unfortunately there is no leadership among the Commission. After learning much about the city, the worst thing that the city did was consolidate. The city of Augusta and Richmond County needs to be two separate governments again. The city needs to extensively clean up its downtown area, look at what cities like Aiken and Columbia, SC have done to revitalize its urban areas. The city needs extensive streetscaping plans and to increase homeownership downtown. There needs to be leadership from the mayor, he seems pretty good but he needs to step up his Vision for Augusta plan or something. The business community seems to be the only true leadership in the city. Augusta has a lot going for it having MCG, Ft. Gordon, and History(tourism)?, and many economic entities. Communities such as Evans, North Augusta and Aiken have much better vision than Augusta and with a population of 200,000 there should be more than one mall in the city. The southside needs to grow commercially and economically. Downtown and the Eastside needs to have the city step in to help improve areas along with the residents and political leaders. All of this is needed.

m23866
m23866 07/28/07 - 11:40 pm
augusta ga,this is a wake up

augusta ga,this is a wake up call,please please get new and fresh blood theres always electing-re electing the same people over and over and the city is in dispair,no mass transportation,nothing is going on especially sundays,and when somebody want to create a idea for the good of the community,the commisiones always opposing i.e somebody once suggest to install a monorail to connect augusta with atlanta well that idea went down the drain,when you go to augusta the first thing that you see is the water treatment plant,following by the run-down motels along gordon hwy,following by two dollars bars oops strip joints downtown,maybe the commisioner need to just go to cola s.c to observe how inmaculate it is o even go to notrth augusta and along aike,it is wonderful,shame b/c augusta have great potential. i lived in augusta many years and sadly i had to move to atlanta but i always have augusta in my heart.

doubt_it
doubt_it 07/29/07 - 07:01 am
Complaints about the

Complaints about the political problems in Augusta are a waste of breath. We can only improve the leadership by improving demographics (the voters). You do that by improving the quality of life and education in Augusta. Most importantly, people are superficial. Beautification and blight removal are the most effective ways to attract new "talent" to augusta. Put some lipstick on this pig and see who shows up.

highpriestess
highpriestess 07/29/07 - 07:31 am
Unfortunately, some of our

Unfortunately, some of our commissioners don't see the big picture. They are uneducated and can't see past there own interests. They just like to hear themselves talk. They have sworn not to read the Augusta Chronicle so they never know how they are received or perceived - and they don't care. They are involved for their gain only and not for the good of the city and what their votes can accomplish for the entire good. Economics is not something they ever studied.

pointstoponder
pointstoponder 07/29/07 - 07:33 am
When did we become so

When did we become so pathetic that we wait around waiting for obviously inept politicians to solve the problem? We, the citizens need to take action. If you see litter, pick it up. Support local business rather than buying online. Want a restaurant or store in your part of town, call the restaurant, our Commissioners can't make them build. Better yet, start your own.

mej01
mej01 07/29/07 - 08:34 am
What is really needed is a

What is really needed is a change in government, get rid of all the commissioners, bring in those that put the welfare of Augusta first and not their own personal agendas.

pointstoponder
pointstoponder 07/29/07 - 08:47 am
No the problem is us. WE

No the problem is us. WE elected the Commission. WE wait for the Commission to change itself. WE wait for the Richmond County legislative delegation or the Commission to make the change. WE need to demand the change or elect someone who will.

eric stoner
eric stoner 07/29/07 - 08:58 am
Travelers arriving at the

Travelers arriving at the Augusta airport and then driving into town on Doug Barnard Parkway are subjected immediately to the sinus-clearing, eye-watering odor of the sewage treatment plant. If they continue downtown on Bobby Jones and Sand Bar Ferry, there are even more treats for the senses.
A few years back, someone suggetsed that the city's slogan should be, "The city of interesting smells". First impressions are important and many of our main entrances don't make good ones.

xqwbv2
xqwbv2 07/29/07 - 09:02 am
Augusta should have

Augusta should have everything in the world going for it: a lower-cost of living, land ripe for development, a historic downtown, river access, etc. But provincialism, NIMBY-ism and every other -ism you can think of holds the city back. Sadly, Augusta matches its sisters along the fall line, too--Macon and Columbus have similar inferiority complexes and problems.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 07/29/07 - 09:38 am
Our commission was designed

Our commission was designed to be leaderless and is. The charter needs to be rewritten. The mayor is doing what he can with what he has to work with, but the carrot isn't nearly as effective as it would be with the stick. Businessmen in the area continue to grow in their areas, but there is no organization that can accomplish what the county commission can, IF it had a defined leader. Why isn't this problem addressed? As we've seen, a couple of fools on the commission can cripple the whole city.

masterdiver
masterdiver 07/29/07 - 09:50 am
Augusta used to be a

Augusta used to be a wonderful place to live. I was born and raised in Augusta until the time I went into the Navy. Once I returned, after being around the country and the world, that's when I saw how backwards, and inferior Augusta was and still is. I worked around Augusta Until I was in my mid 40's and never got anywhere in my career, and with the low salaries that are paid, was constantly behind the 8 ball. Once my children were grown, my wife and I relocated to Jacksonville Florida. It was like turning on a light switch with the differences. Jacksonville does have it's problems, but all cities do. But now, in Jacksonville, I make more money, live better and have increased my lifestyle to where it should have been when I was younger. Being a native born Augustan, the only thing that i can say, and it really tears me up to say this, Augusta is a dead and dying town, there is nothing that can be done to prevent it. There will always be an Augusta, but the citizens will always come last, before the politicians and corrupt officials come first.

emerald
emerald 07/29/07 - 09:59 am
I moved here three years ago

I moved here three years ago believing Augusta was an incredible place with so much potential. What I have learned from being here is that Augusta is happy to be known as the "one year a week where everyone wants to be" place, and that the Master's is it's claim to fame. Oh, but no, we the average people of Augusta can't even step foot on it's sacred ground. They could make a bundle (and maybe give some to the city for positive growth) if they would give tours "after" the tournament so people could see what we suffer for during that week. They could have it controlled, use the carts with tour guides (more jobs at least for that time) and give the community who supports them the opportunity to feel like it IS Augusta - not just a "club". And yes, I know, it's private - big stinking deal - we're all in this together. The magazine who blasted Augusta was not far off -when are they going to learn you can't just keep touting a week long tournament if there's nothing else to offer then or the rest of the year???

kudzunroses
kudzunroses 07/29/07 - 10:47 am
Thers is only ONE

Thers is only ONE solution...CHANGE THE CHARTER !!!!!

wise
wise 07/29/07 - 11:33 am
When I moved here in the 80's

When I moved here in the 80's Augusta was the Garden City every where you looked there was flowers. Now every where you look is a dead empty shopping center. Augusta is only the garden city one week out of the year and its even get slack.

opinions
opinions 07/29/07 - 11:43 am
"You can wrap a package with

"You can wrap a package with beautiful wrapping paper and a beautiful bow but still have crap inside". This is what I'm hearing now. Don't wrap Augusta in beautiful wrapping paper. We need to think of what we want in the inside of that package before we wrap it. I was born and raised here. I like the Country living(I live far out in the County) but, Augusta is a Country City. The only reason we are the 2nd largest City in Ga. is because of the County and Consolidation. You can't compare Augusta to Macon or Columbus Ga. The people that want to see the City grow can forget it. I don't see it ever happening. One reason is because no one can agree on anything. When the word growth is mentioned, everyone runs and hides because no one seems to want to take on the responsibility of doing this. To have growth in a City like Augusta you need someone that looks around and can have the insight of what this place needs and what it don't. They need to start with what matters first to the people and work from there. Let the people write in to the Mayor about what they think would work better for Augusta and get some ideas from the people that live here. Listen and learn is the idea here.

pac789
pac789 07/29/07 - 11:51 am
I walked into a night club

I walked into a night club for the first time in years in "Downtown" Augusta last week only to be met with gun fire within 2 minutes. Yes DISGUSTA gets my vote. The business didn't even contact the police they just closed up for the night. By the way the shooters left in a SC vehicle. The only way to attract decent people to DOWNTOWN is to bulldoze it. Then you could build a new city with enough parking and access. As for the Historic down town area, it is disgusting. No one with any intelligence would want to make this area their home. This opinion is proven everyday by the exodus to Columbia County.

LadyCisback
LadyCisback 07/29/07 - 11:57 am
Augusta is a city living in

Augusta is a city living in the past.. It will never move forward. Races are separated here in this city and many more in Georgia.

alm1080
alm1080 07/29/07 - 12:13 pm
DISGUSTA! As a newcomer to

DISGUSTA! As a newcomer to the city, historic downtown needs something done.We need more use of the riverfront. Why cant we have dinner or drinks overlooking the river instead of inhaling exhaust fumes from the sidewalk on Broad Street?? Renovate more buildings, build more restaurants(like a chain to bring people downtown) and add some class! It would be nice if I didnt have to worry about locking my car doors as im heading toward downtown OR wishing i had a bulletproof outfit on as I walk around.

mgroothand
mgroothand 07/29/07 - 12:16 pm
The charter undoubtedly needs

The charter undoubtedly needs to be rewritten. However there also needs to be some minimum criteria for those who want to run for county commisioner. Some sort of exam/test needs to be passed by any wannabe before they can be eligible to run. That would include current commisioners who have more than a year left in office. At the very least a degree beyond a high school diploma should be necessary.

chadwick323i
chadwick323i 07/29/07 - 12:20 pm
I will born and raised in

I will born and raised in Augusta. I've been in the Army for over 14 years. When I first left for basic training and AIT, I couldn't image leaving Augusta to be stationed in another state or country. I recently was back in Augusta on leave for about 3 and half weeks. After seeing family members and friends I hadn't seen in years, I was ready to leave on the third day(make that the second day). Augusta is boring!!! I brought my 2 years old twins to meet my family for the first time. They kept asking me when we were going back to Texas. Could you blame them? All I can say is when I hit retirement from the Army, I won't be returning to Augusta to live there. Texas is my new home: Augusta will only be known to me as the place I was born and where my family lives.

confederate american
confederate american 07/29/07 - 07:55 pm
my wife and i spend our money

my wife and i spend our money in savannah,they really have it going on,they run bus tours,trolley tours ,bike tours,horse an wagon tours,walking tours etc.of the history of there city even the civil war oh my god the civil war,they are cleaning up millions,augusta is worrying about offending some one god forbid,the people that runthis city are a bunch of losers,and we are paying for it,augusta doesn't have as much history as savannah but we have a lot and we do nothing with it,hey savannah i'm coming with our money.

confederate american
confederate american 07/29/07 - 08:01 pm
we don't need a city owned

we don't need a city owned drag strip,or a 20 million dollar baseball field we need to go with what we have the history of augusta,they need to quit grabbing at straws and go with what we have before us.

confederate american
confederate american 07/29/07 - 08:04 pm
reynolds street,could be just

reynolds street,could be just like river street in savannah if people of augusta would get off there [filtered word].

fd1962
fd1962 07/29/07 - 10:23 pm
Hey, the climate's pretty

Hey, the climate's pretty nice here at least. Isn't it? I could care less about baseball, James Brown, or frisbee golf, but the area has some wonderful restaurants and museums - what city wouldn't drool over a facility like the Morris Museum? The Choral Society and Symphony programs are unmatched by cities four times as large, including Atlanta's. Show me a bored person, and I'll show you a person suffering from chronic lowered expectations.

ladie
ladie 07/30/07 - 12:00 am
First of all let me tell the

First of all let me tell the truth about this disgusta problem,1. is the commisioners down town !!!!!! All they do is fight worst than GANG BANGERS and second briing in some jobs, third expand the bus seervice !!!!!! THERE is no such thing as WE dont' need the service the reason why yall don't make money is b/c the BUS SERVICE is RUN [filtered word] BACKWARDS HERE!!!! YEAH I SAID IT, Just like every thing else here is run BACKWARDS and the poeple of AUGUSTA ooooopppppppppsss i meant DISGUSTA is tired of it, You know it's bad when you have kids ages 6-9 already saying how they can't wait to get GROWN so they came MOVE AWAY from here!!!!!

rat
rat 07/30/07 - 02:06 pm
Try all you want but Augusta

Try all you want but Augusta will never amount to anything unless there is an easier way to get to this area. Sure, I-20 goes through Augusta, but how else do you get here? No other interstates crossing I-20, no decent airport. And what are the attractions? The Masters and, well - that's about it. The little things that others mention are fine for Augustans (Morris Museum, etc.) but no one will make this their destination for that. Get those interstates built! I have no suggestions for the sorry little airport.

widowjones
widowjones 07/30/07 - 03:56 pm
Not fair -- the three voting

Not fair -- the three voting choices are not adequate to cover Augusta's problems. Mostly they amount to a mentality that is locked in some time warp.

SRS shipments halted until 2016

Savannah River Site can't resume shipments of Cold War nuclear waste materials to an underground repository in New Mexico until at least 2016 when the federal government reopens the facility to ...