Retreat and defeat typical

It's ironic that Lowell Greenbaum's letter "Surge is failing; troops must leave" (July 20) was opposite the column "With Democrats, it's about retreat and defeat" by Cal Thomas. Dr. Greenbaum's party line about redeployment is exactly what Mr. Thomas states: retreat and defeat.

The recent all-nighter staged by Dr. Greenbaum's party was right in line with their war strategy: they redeployed (i.e. retreat and defeat) to obtain a good night's sleep when their objectives faced an uphill struggle. Dr. Greenbaum's party showed that they could not withstand a tough battle, so they decided to retreat and accept defeat. Now his party wants to call it quits on the war surge, when the agreement was to give it until the September briefing by the top commander in Iraq.

Dr. Greenbaum states that people sent a message to Congress that they want the troops home. The people also have sent a message that Congress has an approval rating lower than President Bush. Dr. Greenbaum's party promised to accomplish a laundry list of things in the first 100 days, but the results certainly warrant the approval rating for Congress. ...

Our great nation finds itself in an epic struggle for our future, the future of a civilized society, with an enemy that wears no uniform, blends in with the civilian population, and has no regard for the lives of other human beings. Mr. Greenbaum and his party do not fully grasp that ... failure in Iraq, and in the war on terror, may determine the very existence of our nation for years to come. ...

Robert Heidman, Grovetown

jade
jade 07/29/07 - 02:16 am
Congress always has a low

Congress always has a low approval rating, regardless of who is in power. The Repubs are the reason that this particular Congress has been unable to accomplish many of its objectives. They have voted against every piece of legislation the Dems have presented that would help move this country forward, including that which would bring the troops home. Mr. Heidman does not seem to comprehend this simple logic.

JohnRandolphHardisonCain
JohnRandolphHardisonCain 07/29/07 - 05:38 am
United States cannot win in

United States cannot win in Iraq because the premise for the war is false. United States cannot win a military victory, pacify, or stabilize Iraq because this is an unjust, immoral & illegal war. United States attacked a country at the heart of the Arab & Muslim world which never attacked or threatened us. That is the fundamental reason why United States has failed & will continue to fail in Iraq. That basic dichotomy is compounded by geography, demographics & resources limiting US's ability to wage decades long counterinsurgency war. All the doomsaying about saving western civilization &/or all the bible thumping about what the religious right sees as inevitable will not correct the fundamental error President Bush made in ordering the illegal & unwinnable invasion & occupation of Iraq. Until United States squarely faces its illegal aggression in Iraq & corrects it by leaving, there will be no peace in Iraq & no chance of peace in the Middle East. If United States tries to dominate the region from Lebanon to Pakistan, we will exhaust ourselves militarily, financially, politically, & emotionally. Dick Cheney & Robt Heidman's militarism is not efficacious, honest, or adult behavior

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 07/29/07 - 06:13 am
Dr Greenbaum is the county

Dr Greenbaum is the county leader of the democrat party and as such it is his job to promote the party line. He does that very well, however, as recent events in Great Brittan show, having a medical degree doesn't mean you're necessarily politically savvy. Most Americans believe the war against radical islamists needs to be fought, it's the HOW that seems to be the sticking point. If the war against the radicals is the main issue in the upcoming election, I'd expect to see America vote for national defense. The 'cut and run' perspective is just for the wimpier part of the base. Great original piece, Original Cain. I can hardly see the paste.

Carleton Duvall
Carleton Duvall 07/29/07 - 08:10 am
Every AM when I read the

Every AM when I read the Chronicle and before I go online I check the opinions that I know Cain will respond to with one of his tirades. I am very seldom wrong. He apparently has no opinion on any subject other than Bush and the war in Iraq. Although he often makes some good points he destroys his credibility with his rants repeating over and over the same thing. He must think that the rest of us are not smart enough to understand what he says without repeating it over and over. His attempt at brainwashing is what is done in some Muslim countries in training children to become suicide bombers.

giveitsomethought
giveitsomethought 07/29/07 - 08:33 am
500 dead, stay the course;

500 dead, stay the course; 1000 dead, stay the course;
1500 dead, stay the course; 2000 dead, stay the course;
2500 dead, stay the course; 3000 dead, stay the course;
3500 dead, wait until september; wait until october; wait until there are no more young people?

_kpc_
_kpc_ 07/29/07 - 08:43 am
I think I see Cain's problem.

I think I see Cain's problem. He believes that if a war is unjust that it cannot be won. While I don't believe this war is unjust, that is simply a foolish statement. Was the war against the American Indian just? No, but we clearly won.

_kpc_
_kpc_ 07/29/07 - 08:45 am
Rickster. I'm glad our

Rickster. I'm glad our leaders "stayed the course" in France instead of running away when the first boat landed in Normandy.

Pay What U Owe
Pay What U Owe 07/29/07 - 08:58 am
Peter Gadriel was the US

Peter Gadriel was the US Ambassador to Crotia under Clinton and Special Envoy on Kurds in Iraq under Bush. He was awarded the highest peace prize in Pakistan for helping the anti-fundamentalist gov't of Benazir Bhutto. He helped recover 14 tons of documentation on Saddam's human rights crimes against the Kurds and was part of Bush's original team in Iraq in 2002. Frustrated by the incompetence of the leadership, he left in 2003. Gadriel claims that two months prior to invading Iraq, Bush did not realize that there were two factions of Islan, Sunni and Shiite. No wonder Bush has no game plan for secular in-fighting among groups he was not even aware of. Now our boys in uniform patrol hostile treats trying to decide who is and is not an enemy and mainly give the factions target practice. This is a grave injustice to our troops, just like trying to decide who among the Asian faces was and was not Viet Cong in the early 70's. The Dems have the best plan: Redeploy to the borders and seal them, preventing Syrian, Iranian and Al Qeada influx. The rest of us should spend our time questioning the morality of destroying a nation in order to save it. Seems like that failed last time we tried

Pay What U Owe
Pay What U Owe 07/29/07 - 08:59 am
treats = streets ....damn

treats = streets ....damn this uneditable thing

JohnRandalphHardsonCain
JohnRandalphHardsonCain 07/29/07 - 09:00 am
The United States is

The United States is unquestionably the worst country on Earth. They dare to use might to protect their citizens as opposed to talking to those who want you dead. If only we were socialists. I hate every capitolist I see, from bourgeoi-A to bourgeois.

giveitsomethought
giveitsomethought 07/29/07 - 09:07 am
Correct me if I have read

Correct me if I have read your comment incorrectly; I'm glad our leaders "stayed the course" in France. So your leader was a Frenchman in France when the American led forces invaded Normandy?

bone
bone 07/29/07 - 09:09 am
seal the borders of iraq? you

seal the borders of iraq? you mean like we currently seal the borders of the u.s.? the dems really have come up with a great strategy if that is there plan, PWUO. you think maybe they'd be willing to practice here at home first (even though it would mean losing a large voting constituency)?

_kpc_
_kpc_ 07/29/07 - 09:10 am
No, Rickster. Normandy is in

No, Rickster. Normandy is in France. I'm glad we stayed the course in France, because that is where we were fighting. If I were to say "stay the course in Iraq" that doesn't mean my leader is an Iraqi. Nice attempt to twist my words though.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 07/29/07 - 09:11 am
pay, to edit easily after you

pay, to edit easily after you post, just use your go back button and edit before you post, then repost and delete your scrambled effort. This doesn't work after you've changed pages, so reread before you move on.

critter
critter 07/29/07 - 09:13 am
To argue about our

To argue about our government's idiotic decisions is one thing but to say the US is "unquestionably the worst country on Earth" is a despicable statement. If it's so awful, move somewhere else. Don't ever badmouth our country.

giveitsomethought
giveitsomethought 07/29/07 - 09:14 am
"stayed the course" in France

STAYED THE course" in France....instead of running......when the first boat landed....?????????/

Pay What U Owe
Pay What U Owe 07/29/07 - 09:16 am
I think most everyone agrees

I think most everyone agrees (dems and repubs alike) that we need border security with Mexico. Nce attempt at distraction. I take it then you endorse the Dem's proposal in Iraq?

_kpc_
_kpc_ 07/29/07 - 09:18 am
Rickster, I'll be glad to

Rickster, I'll be glad to explain, but I'm not sure what the confusion is. Can I assume you get it now?

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 07/29/07 - 09:20 am
pay what u owe, we know the

pay what u owe, we know the Iraqi government was not only committing human rights violations but was also supporting radical islamists efforts with money, weapons and training. Those that support the ideas of this type of government still exist in Iraq and surrounding countries. Until a government that doesn't support international terrorism is established and able to defend itself from those that do, 'redeploying' away makes no sense.

JohnRandolphHardisonCain
JohnRandolphHardisonCain 07/29/07 - 09:23 am
Critter, Please check the

Critter, Please check the spelling of my name JohnRandolphHardisonCain vs JohnRandolfHardonsonCain. I questioned our government's decision to go to war in Iraq. I did NOT write is "the US is unquestionably the worst country on Earth." An imposter wrote that. It confused you, Critter, and no doubt others so I post this to clarify and make the distinction between me and "JohnRandolfHardonsonCain" who is NOT me.

bone
bone 07/29/07 - 09:28 am
actually, moving the troops

actually, moving the troops out of iraq but keeping them in the middle east sounds fine to me. i have not been a fan of the manner in which u.s. has carried out regime change in iraq, but i also don't care about why we are there: the fact that we are in the middle east gives us better access to the next hotspot which will invariably show up. the amount of money & instability in that region tells me that stepping back and talking from a distance is not going to send the right message. i think what we are supposedly doing in iraq is a noble effort, but those people have to want to fight for it, too, and i'm not seeing it. but PLEASE don't leave the middle east entirely to pursue isolationist policies - their world needs a strong western voice.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 07/29/07 - 09:29 am
critter, Bizzaro Cain makes

critter, Bizzaro Cain makes satirical Cain comments in an effort to make fun of Original Cain. Watch the spelling of the H name.

JohnRandalphHardsonCain
JohnRandalphHardsonCain 07/29/07 - 09:33 am
JohnRandolphHardisonCain is

JohnRandolphHardisonCain is the imposter! I just cut out all the fluff and write what he is really thinking. Notice he never disagrees with me?

bone
bone 07/29/07 - 09:33 am
JRHC, can you prove that the

JRHC, can you prove that the other posts are not being written by you? the words used do seem to have a strong "i'm smart & you're not" characterization to them that we all identify as your trademark...

critter
critter 07/29/07 - 09:33 am
Ah, thanks for the

Ah, thanks for the clarification. Sorry for the tirade.

_kpc_
_kpc_ 07/29/07 - 09:43 am
Bone...Cain isn't about

Bone...Cain isn't about proof. He said it so it must be so. Remember he's smarter than everybody else.

_kpc_
_kpc_ 07/29/07 - 10:06 am
I just got the "bourgeois"

I just got the "bourgeois" joke. Bizzaro Cain is funny! The presence of a sense of humor should be proof enough that he's in imposter. LOL

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 07/29/07 - 10:17 am
were it Original Cain, it

were it Original Cain, it would have been neo-bourgeois

_kpc_
_kpc_ 07/29/07 - 10:22 am
Or neo-bourgeois the War

Or neo-bourgeois the War Criminals! Good one PT.

t of i