Support justice and Michael Vick

I support Michael Vick, and believe the Falcons should stick by their quarterback and leader.

It saddens me to see that we live in a society where a rogue, politically motivated prosecutor such as Michael Nifong can ruin the life of anyone he chooses. This is supposed to be America, where you're presumed innocent until proven guilty, but with recent events (the Duke lacrosse case, Don Imus, Michael Vick) I feel that our proud republic is sinking further and further toward a totalitarian police state.

If we let these injustices continue, one day we may wake up and find the Gestapo or some other secret police organization carrying innocent citizens - such as you, me or some other friend or loved one you know - off to jail. Stick with Vick. It's the American way!

Russ Smith, Grovetown

GACopperhead
GACopperhead 07/28/07 - 03:34 am
How can you equate Vick and

How can you equate Vick and Imus with the Duke lacrosse players? Have you not heard what Imus said? Nappy headed hos? No one deserves that type of denigration. Vick is innocent until proven guilty, but still has sullied his and the Falcons' reputations by allowing this to go un-noticed(yeah, right) at HIS property. It's really difficult to believe he's so ignorant of what was happening, and wasn't associated with the dogfighting, breeder's license, etc. At best, he should be suspended for the year, preferably, he should go play with TO.

NANF
NANF 07/28/07 - 04:56 am
Mr. Smith!! I see stupid

Mr. Smith!! I see stupid stamped all over you. Where is your head. There is NO COMPARISON. Vick is the most arrogant piece of trash in the NFL . Did YOU love it when Vick flipped a bird to all the fans, to include young ladies and dads there with young sons & daughters ? Ya got any kids Mr. Smith? Do you show them that this is acceptable behavior? You really are a work of art.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 07/28/07 - 06:24 am
Vicks hobby is, and has been

Vicks hobby is, and has been for a while, against the law. He became so wealthy that he felt the law didn't apply to him. He's in the process of learning a little truth. There is no pity available for people that pursue his hobby.

Goaliemom1987
Goaliemom1987 07/28/07 - 07:30 am
People with money think they

People with money think they are above the law! He got caught. Now let's see how the justice system will handle it.

Da Voice Inside Your Head
Da Voice Inside Your Head 07/28/07 - 08:45 am
Michael Vick is getting

Michael Vick is getting Justice. He is out on bond and hired big name defense council. He'll be tried by a jury of his peers.If guilty he will be housed in a correctional facality that is run by strict rules and under tight oversight. But to most folks with a brain it obvious that he is at least guilty of gross stupidity and letting his ego overide good sense. He at least knew what was going on and did nothing about it. If you ask me, you didn't but I'm gonna tell you anyway,He should get the same Justice thar those poor defenseless animials got. Slammed on his head in the dirt and tossed in the trash. Now that's JUSTICE!

wchilds
wchilds 07/28/07 - 08:56 am
I think I speak for all of us

I think I speak for all of us when I say, "Um, WHAT???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Carleton Duvall
Carleton Duvall 07/28/07 - 09:03 am
Russ, idealism is a

Russ, idealism is a commendable trait but realism makes more sense. At best Vick is guilty of blind stupidity . At worse, he is guilty of a heinous crime. Personally, I don't think Vick is stupid.

jack
jack 07/28/07 - 09:41 am
I beleive Vick is both guilty

I beleive Vick is both guilty and a barbarian that should be put in the pit with the dogs.

bp101
bp101 07/28/07 - 09:51 am
I will start this by saying

I will start this by saying that I personally think that Vick is guilty. However, there is such a thing in this country as innocent until proven guilty. How do we know that he knew what was going on at that house? A lot of rich people buy houses for their relatives and never go the property. Unlike the Falcons, the NFL, Nike, PETA, and apparently all of you, we should wait until all of the facts are heard before we cast guilt on this man so easily. I certainly hope none of you are ever accused of something of which you are innocent.

Carleton Duvall
Carleton Duvall 07/28/07 - 10:27 am
bp101. I find your remarks a

bp101. I find your remarks a little confusing. You first say that you think Vick is guilty and then you chastise the rest of us for saying the same thing.

pointstoponder
pointstoponder 07/28/07 - 10:48 am
Mr. Vick is entitled to his

Mr. Vick is entitled to his day in court. Had he been arrested a few months ago, he would have faced a misdemeanor. The acts he is charged with are, in my opinion, reprehensible. Too many young men and women that find their way into the spotlight seem to think that fame grants them immunity from stupid. If he is guilty, stupid should hurt.

crackertroy
crackertroy 07/28/07 - 11:20 am
It seems people are only

It seems people are only outraged at this most despicable crime because the best player in the NFL was involved. Deion Sanders had a fascinating perspective about it in the news yesterday:

What a dog means to Vick might be a lot different than what he means to you or I... Some people kiss their dogs on the mouth. Some people let their dogs eat from their plate. Some people dress their dogs in suits more expensive than mine, if you can believe that. And some people enjoy proving they have the biggest, toughest dog on the street. You're probably not going to believe this, but I bet Vick loves the dogs that were the biggest and the baddest. Maybe, he identified with them in some way. I believe Vick had a passion for dogfighting. I know many athletes who share his passion. The allure is the intensity and the challenge of a dog fighting to the death. It's like ultimate fighting, but the dog doesn't tap out when he knows he can't win."

Lakefront
Lakefront 07/28/07 - 11:30 am
No matter what, if we

No matter what, if we encourage our system to condemn the man before he is proven guilty (or even free him due to his celebrity status) then we are no better than those who hate all the good our country stands for. We all have our opinions, but the Constitution must remain the foundation of our system. The man is innocent until proven guilty. The prosecutor's responsibility is to find and present the facts. Even though the prosecutor has enough evidence to indict Vick we should be careful how we condemn Vick before the system is permitted to work.

pointstoponder
pointstoponder 07/28/07 - 11:37 am
Crackertoy, you missed the

Crackertoy, you missed the boat entirely. Vick is high profile (I don't know or care if he is the best player in the NFL - that is probably enough for another thread entirely), but the outrage is against dogfighting, and currently Mr. Vick is the personification of that activity. Having a passion for something does not make it right. Pedophiles have a passion.

bone
bone 07/28/07 - 12:24 pm
what a fantastic defense of

what a fantastic defense of dogfighting, crackertoy. NAMBLA needs a fine spokesman such as yourself to point out the fact that some people probably view their organization without having the proper perspective. like you so eloquently explained to us, having a passion for something excuses immorality - we just need to be able to see it from the other side to understand it as they do.

pofwe
pofwe 07/28/07 - 01:21 pm
Vick has shot his wad in all

Vick has shot his wad in all the ways that apply. The "culture" got him. The coulture of destroying living things to prove he is some kind'a man. Now we know what "kinda" man Mr. Vick is... very dangerous.

bp101
bp101 07/28/07 - 01:53 pm
For me to think in my head

For me to think in my head that he may be guilty and to come out and say that are two different things. If he is guilty then he should get everything he has coming to him. But if he is found innocent of ALL charges then his reputation has been ruined for ever. As it is, he will probably never play in the NFL again because no owner would that public relations nightmare. I personally don't think he is a very good QB, so from a fans perspective, I am glad he is gone.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 07/28/07 - 02:25 pm
Without a trial and verdict,

Without a trial and verdict, we can't say if he's guilty or not, technically, but one of his close homies just decided to turn states evidence. Things look worse every day for Vick.

lilmace
lilmace 07/28/07 - 02:29 pm
For anyone to condone dog

For anyone to condone dog fighting is reprehensible. I do not care if the willing participants (owners and spectators) are the richest, the highest profile, the professionals, the rednecks, the poorest, etc. they should all be held accountable for their actions if found guilty of dog fighting. If you have ever seen an abused animal or one that is starving due to neglect and you can still uphold one's right to force a dog to fight (or be killed if they lose) you need psychiatric help. Apparently you feel the need to be an aggressor.

TakeAstand
TakeAstand 07/28/07 - 02:54 pm
crackertroy you make a good

crackertroy you make a good argument to some extent, but the ultimate fighters chose to do this. A dog can not. And the losers don't get tortured and they aren't tortured before a fight to get them ready. A dog can not have a say in it.... Those men can. It is not the same thing. I might not judge so much if they just put 2 normal dogs in the ring and let them fight. I would hate it, but I cant speak because I kill animals to eat. But I don't torture animals or make them suffer for my entertainment. That is sick!!

WW1949
WW1949 07/28/07 - 02:58 pm
I have three dogs and love

I have three dogs and love the all. Never would I or any person with feelings hurt any animal except one that is trying to hurt them. If guilty, Mr. Vick should be fired from the team, loose all sponsership and go to jail for the max time. In my opinion all these professional sports people are paid too much money and provide nothing but entertainment. They produce nothing that makes this country grow and most think they are above the lay.
It seems to be this way in baseball and moreso in football but not in golf which is a gentleman's sport and deals with much smarter people.

curly123053
curly123053 07/28/07 - 03:03 pm
Having spent time as a

Having spent time as a dispatcher for my county animal control I immediately recognized what appeared to be a dogfighting operation when these allegations first made news. I had seen pictures and videos of dogfighting operations uncovered by my officers and there was no doubt in my mind what was going on at the property in Virginia regardless who it belonged to. If nobody had been charged in this case I would have figured there was a cover-up or somebody was paid off.

dani
dani 07/28/07 - 03:28 pm
Re Michael Vick...I think the

Re Michael Vick...I think the law says a person is "presumed innocent until proven guilty", not that a person "is innocent". A guilty party is a guilty party. Having a jury make a determination will not change that fact. Lots of guilty people are seto free by juries.

bp101
bp101 07/28/07 - 03:29 pm
And a lot of innocent people

And a lot of innocent people are sent to jail as well.

bp101
bp101 07/28/07 - 03:31 pm
Denarli123, you're right.

Denarli123, you're right. John Daly is the perfect example of very intelligent gentleman.

jack
jack 07/28/07 - 03:31 pm
bp101, there have already

bp101, there have already been eye witnesses that have come forward having seen Vick hauling the dogs, he has a license to breed dogs, and there is no way he didn't know what was going on on his own property. Let the justice system try him, convict him and send his thugish butt to jail.

bp101
bp101 07/28/07 - 03:45 pm
And these eyewitnesses who

And these eyewitnesses who are also co-defendants in the case, would have no reason to lie save their own butts huh? There are a lot of people who licenses to breed dogs, and as I said earlier there are plenty of rich people who buy houses for their relatives and never visit the property. I stil don't see enough concrete proof for the man to be tried and convicted in the court of public opinion.

bp101
bp101 07/28/07 - 04:22 pm
People, please don't

People, please don't misunderstand. I am not defending Michael Vick. I am simply defending his right to a fair trial which I find hard to believe he can still have. I don't see how they can find a jury that has in some way not formed an opinion about this case already. My point is he has already been tried and convicted in the court of public opinion which is just too bad.

t of i
t of i 07/28/07 - 04:45 pm
I don't see why he can't get

I don't see why he can't get as fair of a trial as OJ got, bp101.

t of i
t of i 07/28/07 - 05:00 pm
You need to give your fellow

You need to give your fellow man credit. The attorneys will screen and questions the potential jurors. Each will be able to strike people they think will be problematic. The facts and testimony from both sides will be presented. The judge will instruct the jury as to the law on whether or not the prosecution has proven the guilt of Vick "beyond a reasonable doubt." Any reasonable doubt that the prosecution has properly proved the case, Vick goes free. That is the proper way our justice system is supposed to work. A lot of guilty peple go free because of problems with the state's presentation of the case or the improper collection or introduction of evidence. I just don't see that the fact that a lot of the public has been exposed to the news about this case has that much bearing on what will go on in the courtroom. I have faith in the integrity of those potential jurors.