Group votes to ease dress code

Untucked shirts should be allowed, and pupils who misbehave should be sent to Saturday school.

In its first meeting, a newly formed committee of Richmond County school board members took on the problem of discipline in schools, listening to suggestions from principals.

What comes up most often is tardiness and shirttails, Westside High School Principal Tim Spivey told the committee, asking that the dress code be eased and a Saturday school program be considered as an alternative to suspending students.

"We've become the shirttail police," he said.

Pat Burau, the assistant superintendent for school improvement and program development, acknowledged Richmond County's dress code is stricter than most.

"We're one of the few counties that go as far as we go," she said, adding that an "overwhelming" number of high school principals support untucked shirts.

A more lax dress code drew the support of the committee, too. The committee will recommend the board adopt a less stringent dress code that allows untucked shirts.

Principals also called for a way to discipline pupils without kicking them out of school.

Saturday school already is held for academics, Mr. Spivey said, and something similar should be held for pupils with discipline problems.

Rickey Lumpkin, who was the principal of Tubman Middle School until this year, said his school adopted a character education program on Saturdays. That helped Tubman reduce discipline incidents by 40 percent.

"Things like Saturday alternatives to discipline to me are very, very critical," he said.

Cross Creek High School Principal Lynn Warr said that in the spring she began giving students the option of attending Saturday school, which prepared students for their graduation tests, rather than sending them home.

One student preferred it so much that he started getting into trouble to go, she said.

Reach Greg Gelpi at (706) 828-3851 or greg.gelpi@augustachronicle.com.

WHAT'S NEXT

When the board meets Aug. 9, the committee will recommend allowing students to wear their shirts untucked.

Interested Citizen
Interested Citizen 07/27/07 - 06:41 am
Suspension accomplishes

Suspension accomplishes absolutely NOTHING.

jackfruitpaper833
jackfruitpaper833 07/27/07 - 06:46 am
Raymond AMEN.... he should be

Raymond AMEN.... he should be worried about test scores and getting Laney off the failed school list. He's in everything get's on my nerves.

RebelTA
RebelTA 07/27/07 - 08:04 am
My junior high had the

My junior high had the Saturday school as punishment, took one time for me to spend 8 hours cleaning parking lots and washing cars that I never went back. I decided there were better ways to spend my day off.

hcsredwolf
hcsredwolf 07/27/07 - 08:34 am
The only problem I see with

The only problem I see with relaxing the rule on shirt tails being untucked is this, the boys into this ghetto garb and gangsta crap will use it as a way to let their pants hang down below their waste and have their underwear show for everybody to see. Their shirts should be tucked in and every student both male and female should dress appropriatly. School is not a fashion show runway, but then again, the parents who let their kids go to school dressed like thugs and sluts are the ones who are really to blame.

itamazezme
itamazezme 07/27/07 - 08:35 am
We could use saturday school

We could use saturday school as a way to have free help in taking care of the school grounds. You can't see the schools because the grass is so overgrown.

Rose
Rose 07/27/07 - 08:57 am
If a child does not want to

If a child does not want to go to school, then suspending them for misbehaving is not the answer. Sending them to saturday school is an excellent idea.

ohhsweetconcord
ohhsweetconcord 07/27/07 - 09:31 am
Most dress codes at large

Most dress codes at large public schools make zero sense. It wastes the time of the teachers by turning them into "fashion police" when they could be devoting their time to far more important issues. Dress codes also serve to alienate students who have really done nothing wrong. As a recently graduated student, I know for a fact that the codes create animosity from the students against the teachers, a kind of "us vs. them" mentality. One of the best ways for teachers to reach their students is by accepting the youth culture, not condemning it.

jasall18
jasall18 07/27/07 - 09:40 am
It is about time someone the

It is about time someone the board can respect stood up and said this is rediculous. Requireing students to adhere to such an assonine dress code was dumb when they made it and will be dumb when they get rid of it. I always thought schools should be a place that encourages the individuality of its students, not a communistic environment. The dress code in question in my memory caused more problems than it EVER solved and many former students can attest to that. Don't get me wrong there should be a dress code, cause I dont want to see someone's underwear or worse walking down the hall in front of me, but I do respect that that person has an individual right to express themself in some way. Oh yeah they passed that dress code not long after Columbine because it was students who dressed a certain way who did the massacre, I'm sorry it took nearly ten years to realize it does not matter how a student is dressed or if his shirt tail is tucked in as to weather or not he posses a threat.

jackfruitpaper833
jackfruitpaper833 07/27/07 - 09:49 am
Dr. Welcher is from the old

Dr. Welcher is from the old school (me 2 LOL), but they do need to look at it, if they pass it he surely will not let them dress any kind of way at Laney. I know this for a fact.

He still needs to go... get away from LANEY *UGH*

leapfrogve
leapfrogve 07/27/07 - 10:05 am
The dress code has been a

The dress code has been a problem from the beginning. Putting elementary school students in uniforms was a stupid idea. My kid could care less what name brand someone else is wearing or not wearing, thats middle school and high school. And if the schools are going to enforce the dress code then all the children should have to be in uniform, not just leaving it up to the teachers to enforce. Not all teachers come to school wanting to be "uniform police" and they let it go if a child is not in uniform and then other teachers are anal about it and the parents have letters sent home notifing us of the dress code and that our child wasn't dressed properly. Dress codes in the schools should be easier, as long as the child is dressed decent then it should not be a big deal. Let the schools teach our children the skills they will need to make something of themselves and stop wasting the teachers time with looking over every childs clothing. It's all about the education to me.

bill63
bill63 07/27/07 - 10:09 am
"Waste" instead of waist?

"Waste" instead of waist? "Rediculous" instead of ridiculous? Saturday School for both of you!!

class1
class1 07/27/07 - 10:19 am
Yes, we need to relax the

Yes, we need to relax the dress code. Also, Saturday School is a great idea. However, what happens if they don't come to Saturday School. When are we going to hold the parent responsible for their child's behavior. Bring them to Saturday School too! When a child get in trouble at school make the parent come to the school immediately.

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 07/27/07 - 10:58 am
If they don't learn how to

If they don't learn how to dress for school and there is not some standard, then when they walk into my business for a job and are dressed in the current fashion as a rapper, gang member or slut they don't get hired. Dress and public perception are a condition of employment and if they can't comply with it 100%, they can seek employment elsewhere. I don't tolerate it at all.

ivymist
ivymist 07/27/07 - 11:10 am
I was suspended in high

I was suspended in high school for something my parents repeatedly told the school I had no control over. They could not get me to school on time sometimes. I was never late by more than five minutes, always before morning announcements, and they saw no reason for me to catch a bus at 615 to go a mile across the busiest street in Augusta by 740. So ten times in 180 days I was late, and suspended for three days. We took that time as an extra long weekend and went to the beach. I didn't mind, but I also would not have minded Saturday school, I had broken the (stupid, yes) rules, but could have lived with a punishment akin to detention, not similar to temporary expulsion.

jackfruitpaper833
jackfruitpaper833 07/27/07 - 11:11 am
I say FIRE Dr. Welcher at

I say FIRE Dr. Welcher at LANEY, Fire him NOW before school starts or let him retire NOW *UGH*

misscj0123
misscj0123 07/27/07 - 11:22 am
I agree that suspension does

I agree that suspension does not teach these kids a lesson. They are just KIDS and they see it as a day off from school, even with household chores and restriction. They don't care. If they are made to go to school AND give up their free Saturdays for misconduct, that will sink in faster to them and make them think about behaving better. I also have suggested chores around the school and grounds for detention, not just sitting around for an hour, but no one took any interest. Make these kids work off their bad behavior and also do Saturday academics, they will think before acting out again. Also, as long as pants are pulled up and secured properly around the waist (you can tell from looking) and the shirts are not OVERSIZED, I see nothing wrong if the shirts are untucked. It's not a job, it is school and they get to do it at colleges.

hcsredwolf
hcsredwolf 07/27/07 - 11:41 am
Bill63, I stand corrected.

Bill63, I stand corrected. Waist instead of waste. Please don't send me to Saturday school. I play golf on Saturdays.

coco rubio
coco rubio 07/27/07 - 12:07 pm
i think their shood be a

i think their shood be a grammer police insted of a fashun police cuz most of these foolz can't even spell there own namez........

keysplease
keysplease 07/27/07 - 12:27 pm
Even the military has relaxed

Even the military has relaxed its dress code through the years. I remember when my father was in the Army 40 years ago, his fatigues had to be pressed with starch and his boots had to be polished like mirrors. If you look on post now, the fatigues are much more relaxed with the shirt hanging over the pants. The schools should reflect the times. When I was in school, girls never wore slacks and only poor students wore blue jeans; in fact, a lot of the guys wore shirts and ties in high school. But that was how society dressed back then. As a teacher, I don't really want to waste valuable instructional time writing a referral on a student that has his shirt out, because it is designed to be worn on the outside of the pants. Now those that come to school with pajamas on (and in high school, they will) wearing bedroom
shoes have got to go home and change. Also, the girls wearing purple and orange extensions have got to go, as well. Other than that, I just want to teach.

CHIEF
CHIEF 07/27/07 - 12:46 pm
Liberal Horse S.... get a

Liberal Horse S.... get a grip the ganster need to be kicked out of school and sent to reform school. The soft approach does not work. Our jails are full of these mis understood teens. They need a structured life and disicipline the old way. If you want to dress like an inmate then come to our jail. If you want them to have free speech; let join the military and defend it. Other wise your creating another social nightmare.

hcsredwolf
hcsredwolf 07/27/07 - 01:40 pm
A-men Chief. There has to be

A-men Chief. There has to be some sort of standard set and the students and their parents need to be held accountable. I'm not saying shirt and ties or dresses but dressed decent.

TakeAstand
TakeAstand 07/27/07 - 01:47 pm
Well said Beach Music and

Well said Beach Music and Chief!!

govtreprri
govtreprri 07/27/07 - 02:06 pm
As parents and teachers, our

As parents and teachers, our job is to prepare our children for the future when they'll be on their own. Habits of good dress is a critical part of that training. Of course there are shirts (Tees for example) that look presentable when worn untucked. Shirts with tails should not be untucked; it looks tacky and sloppy. The use of good common sense should preclude arguements over rules and regulations. This is not a critical issue except for those who are all together too controlling in nature. I have a 13 year old who likes to "fit in" with his friends, but he never, ever, looks sloppy. Let's not "rule" our kids, let them make decisions for themselves, but with the guidance (not control) from their mentors.

TakeAstand
TakeAstand 07/27/07 - 02:35 pm
I agree... nicely put

I agree... nicely put govtreprri.

TakeAstand
TakeAstand 07/27/07 - 02:52 pm
I think its not so much the

I think its not so much the clothes as.. the time and place, the appropraiteness of it. Sounds like you knew when and what.

str8truth
str8truth 07/27/07 - 04:07 pm
untucked shirts are a safety

untucked shirts are a safety issue....it is very easy to hide weapons in the waistband of a pair of pants.

str8truth
str8truth 07/27/07 - 04:07 pm
untucked shirts are a safety

str8truth
str8truth 07/27/07 - 04:08 pm
And cheif....I concur!

And cheif....I concur!

Why
Why 07/27/07 - 04:20 pm
Here we go lowering the

Here we go lowering the standards again! If you cannot get the students to abide by such a basic rule of appropriate wear of clothing then how on earth can you expect them to abide by other rules? Discipline starts with appearance! Having a school fulll of gangster looking students will fail -HELLO YOU IDIOTS!!! Holding students accountable and having high expectations begins with appearance. The story says many (NOT ALL) of the teachers feel like "dress police" but I say to the principal... YOU ENFORCE THE RULE- IF THE STUDENT DISOBEYS THE RULE THEN HOLD THE STUDENT ACCOUNTABLE!!!!!! ZERO TOLERANCE would eliminate the problem. Westside will be an even more chaotic school next year - CONTINUE LOWERING YOUR EXPECTATONS OF STUDENT BEHAVIOR - It will only be a matter of time before Westside is equal to Josey - What's equally as shocking are the comments you read above - those that agree with allowing shirts to the knees and pants below the rear..... UNBELIEVABLE AND VERY DISTURBING!!! Richmond County has hit rock bottom - SEND YOUR STUDENTS TO PRIVATE SCHOOL !!!!!!!!!!

bone
bone 07/27/07 - 05:15 pm
lots of ALL CAPS and

lots of ALL CAPS and exclamation !!!!!!!! points don't make your message any clearer. i am a teacher and the only dress code issues i have are ones that would cause distractions in the classroom (skirts / tops too revealing on girls - boys absolutely cannot concentrate when this occurs) or clothing that presents true safety concerns (in crowded hallways like in most schools, clothes that drag the ground are likely to get stepped on and cause either the student wearing the clothes or the stepper to trip). chains on garments shouldn't be allowed (like the wallet chains that have been popular), but otherwise i don't care what the students wear. i have enforced the dress code as much as possible, but as a male teacher i have always called a female teacher to talk to girls who i believe are wearing inappropriate clothing. i would do this prior to class beginning, so i have never felt that i lost any teaching time. that's just my take on the issue.

City inspectors look to demolish Goodale House

Rob Sherman, director of Augusta's License and Inspection Department, said his staff plans to ask a State Court judge in early 2015 to order the endangered property, which was built in 1799 and is ...