Broun is certified as winner

It's official.

Broun  File/Staff
File/Staff
Broun

Paul Broun won the runoff election with Jim Whitehead to represent Georgia's 10th Congressional District by 394 votes, the Georgia Secretary of State's Office said Monday.

But Mr. Whitehead's campaign said he intends to ask for a recount.

"Since the vote difference was less than half of 1 percent, we think it's prudent to do the recount," John Stone, Mr. Whitehead's spokesman, said Monday.

Dr. Broun said he doesn't think a recount will make any difference and plans to be sworn in Wednesday morning in Washington, D.C., and go to work.

"We have not had a congressman since February," he said. "There are many needs the people of the 10th Congressional District have.

Dr. Broun said he wanted to assure the people of Augusta that he will be "very eager" to work on problems that concern them.

"I want to work to grow Fort Gordon, MCG and SRS and do the things we need to do to foster economic development of the CSRA," he said. "I will be Augusta's congressman. They should not have any worry about my representing their interests."

Dr. Broun plans to open offices in Athens, Augusta and Toccoa, he said.

The Secretary of State's office certified the election results Monday. They showed that Dr. Broun drew 23,529 votes to Mr. Whitehead's 23,135.

The losing candidate is allowed to request a recount if the margin is within 1 percent.

Mr. Whitehead, a former state senator from Columbia County, won the July 19 special election to fill the late Charlie Norwood's seat with 43.5 percent of the vote. Dr. Broun edged out Democrat James Marlow with 20.7 percent of the vote.

Clearly the front-runner, Mr. Whitehead also raised and spent more money than Dr. Broun.

"All I can tell you is it's the hand of the Lord that put all the pieces together," Dr. Broun said when asked how he won. "I ran a grass-roots campaign with a message of status quo, Whitehead, versus someone who is going to work for positive change for the people of the district.

"We put together a coalition of Republican activists, Democrats, Aftican-Americans, pro-life, pro-Second Amendment, small business and working individuals that are eager to have representation in Washington."

Dr. Broun expressed confidence that he could hold those voters through next year's election.

"I will not compromise my principles, but I will work to find common-sense solutions to bring about the needed changes in government that I believe the American people are wanting," he said.

Secretary of State Karen Handel transmitted the certified results of the election runoff, along with Dr. Broun's certificate of election, to the governor's office Monday. The governor will submit the results to Congress.

Reach Sylvia Cooper at (706) 823-3228 or sylvia.cooper@augustachronicle.com.

intheknow
intheknow 07/24/07 - 04:12 am
RECOUNT. Dr. Broun just may

RECOUNT. Dr. Broun just may pick up, a few more votes.

pops1
pops1 07/24/07 - 04:30 am
whitehead needs to concede.he

whitehead needs to concede.he lost and be a man about it. go on with his life and work. he is just mad because one of the "good ole boys" didn't make it. well, the state is changing and growing (for the better) and the good ole boys need to grow up. sometimes an outsider needs to be hired to show the inbreds how it really should be done.

bubbagrump
bubbagrump 07/24/07 - 05:39 am
It was clear that the Georgia

It was clear that the Georgia establishment favored Whitehead and gave Broun no shot to win this race. Now, Whitehead (or Sorehead) will tie things up for another day and demand a recount. Poor loser! Good luck Paul!

emerald
emerald 07/24/07 - 06:20 am
Congrats to Broun and all of

Congrats to Broun and all of his campaign workers - they did a great job at getting his message of non-establishment politics across. The people of GA have a wonderful congressman in Broun. I think the tide has turned for the good 'ol boys here as well as in DC.

class1
class1 07/24/07 - 08:33 am
RECOUNT-You lost get over it!

RECOUNT-You lost get over it!

Brad Owens
Brad Owens 07/24/07 - 11:10 am
I voted fro Broun and proud

I voted fro Broun and proud of it. Jim Woodenhead should have learned by now not to listen to handlers like Mr. Stone.

Leve Tab La
Leve Tab La 07/24/07 - 02:17 pm
I wonder why the story about

I wonder why the story about the Norwood/Whitehead parties at the Ritz were buried? Suspicious?

NEone
NEone 07/24/07 - 08:14 pm
NOW will Whitehead take down

NOW will Whitehead take down his signs?????

Son of God
Son of God 07/26/07 - 12:41 pm
Congratulations Dr. Broun on

Congratulations Dr. Broun on your recent success as our representative in congress. God spoke to me and told me that you were going to win this race as soon as you called my house with a voice message. I will write you a letter and add in it the name, "Son of God." Continue to do the work of the Lord. Change is always bebeficial when one is looking at it from a positive standpoint. May you and your family be blesed!

Kettle donations rise in 2014