Across the area

Police locate missing woman

Police have located a 19-year-old woman who was reported as being missing since Saturday, according to Richmond County sheriff's Lt. Jimmy Young. Lateria Laster had not been seen since she left for her job at the Goodwill Store on Peach Orchard Road on Saturday afternoon. She had been out with a friend, according to Sgt. Calvin Chew.

Woman is arrested in toddler son's beating

Police arrested an Augusta woman on charges that she beat her 2-year-old son after he defecated on the floor.

Princess Pearson, of Amli Way, is charged with cruelty to children in the first degree, according to a Richmond County sheriff's report.

Ms. Pearson called the boy's father and told him the boy had defecated on the floor and that she was not going to clean him up, the report said. When the father came to get the son he found him sitting in a tub filled with cold water and feces. The boy had bruises and scratches on his back, head and right side, according to Lt. Jimmy Young.

He was treated at Doctor's Hospital and released.

Ex-postal clerk tried for stealing $26,000

A former Evans postal clerk will be arraigned next week in federal court on charges of stealing nearly $26,000.

Dewayne Levearn Williams was indicted on federal charges of misappropriation of postal funds and theft of mail. He is accused of taking various cash amounts from September through May 19, and of stealing a money order from a letter in January.

Mr. Williams is scheduled for arraignment in U.S. District Court on July 31.

Board closes suit by ex-assistant principal

The Richmond County Board of Education settlement of a discrimination lawsuit was formally submitted last week.

In an order signed by U.S. District Court Judge Lisa Wood, Elaine Shinn's lawsuit against the school board officially was closed. The Westside High School assistant principal sued, alleging she was wrongfully passed over for a promotion given to the daughter of thenschool board president Marion Barnes.

The school board authorized an $87,067 settlement of Ms. Shinn's lawsuit in March. It was accepted by the court July 16.

Man takes gift cards to buy hair products

Someone with knowledge of Sears cash registers stole six gift cards and activated them using equipment in a storage room, according to a Richmond County sheriff's report.

A man, who was described as being "clean cut" and wearing a black suit, activated the cards for $500 then used them to purchase $94 worth of hair products from the salon, the report said.

Public libraries close for staff training

All public libraries in the East Central Georgia Regional Library system will be closed Wednesday, Aug. 8, for an in-service staff training day.

The training sessions and closures will include Burke, Columbia, Lincoln, Richmond and Warren counties.

Teachers can pick up gift cards for school

Richmond County teachers can begin picking up their state-issued $100 gift cards for classroom supplies at 11 a.m. Wednesday at their schools.

The gift cards can be spent on any classroom supplies July 28 to Aug. 5, which includes Georgia's tax free holiday Aug. 2 -5.

Gift cards will be issued only to full-time teachers. Each school media center also will receive a gift card.

Health clinics extend hours to give shots

Columbia County's three health clinics will operate extended walk-in hours this week so children can receive the required vaccinations for school.

The walk-in clinics will operate Wednesday and Friday from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.; today from 8 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. and Thursday from 7 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

If possible, parents should bring their children's immunization records.

For more information call the offices in Appling at (706) 541-1318, Evans at (706) 868-3330 or Grovetown at (706) 556-3727.

- From staff reports

intheknow
intheknow 07/24/07 - 05:26 am
Teachers, Please make sure

Teachers, Please make sure that they are not SEAR's gift cards.

bayouboogie
bayouboogie 07/24/07 - 06:13 am
They're stealing..... in

They're stealing..... in Evans, NO!!

AugustaHeph homeowner
AugustaHeph homeowner 07/24/07 - 07:55 am
Just goes to hsow you, all

Just goes to hsow you, all those so called HIGH SOCIETY WEST SIDE PEOPLE, are not all that. Godd news Evans - you have crooks and wanna bes, too.
Sorry but truth is truth.

AugustaHeph homeowner
AugustaHeph homeowner 07/24/07 - 07:58 am
How stupid can you be - Steal

How stupid can you be - Steal GIFT card and then buy Hair Products!!! Must have been an inside or a co-friend that ran scared and reported cards missing. How do you know when oh someine just stole 6 cards and activated them in a stroage room, someone best check that situation out.
thanks for letting us know how easy it is.

halffull
halffull 07/24/07 - 08:27 am
Any comments on the "white"

Any comments on the "white" tearing whining or I mean filing a discrimination lawsuit. Hummm!!!

happythoughts
happythoughts 07/24/07 - 08:37 am
Why is he buying hair

Why is he buying hair products? He needs a real man's job and f--- the hair.

Inkjet
Inkjet 07/24/07 - 09:19 am
$94 in hair products, that's

$94 in hair products, that's just too much! Gotta watch those Metrosexuals!

Inkjet
Inkjet 07/24/07 - 09:32 am
Wikipedia says: Metrosexual

Wikipedia says: Metrosexual is a word describing men who have a strong concern for their aesthetic appearance, and spend a substantial amount of time and money on their images and lifestyles.

Goaliemom1987
Goaliemom1987 07/24/07 - 09:36 am
I'm sure that postal worker

I'm sure that postal worker in the Evans post office, lived in Richmond county probably South Augusta...

Inkjet
Inkjet 07/24/07 - 09:56 am
Memo to Sears employees: How

Memo to Sears employees: How To Know if You're Gift Card Buyer is a Metrosexual http://www.howtodothings.com/fashion-and-personal-care/a4677-how-to-know...

TakeAstand
TakeAstand 07/24/07 - 10:28 am
lmaooo goaliemom ^5

lmaooo goaliemom ^5

TakeAstand
TakeAstand 07/24/07 - 10:34 am
I for one never said there

I for one never said there isn't crime in CC. But any of you have to admit there is less crime and definately less violent crime. I lived on Milledgeville road for 20 years my parents had been there 50.. My whole family had to get out because it was unbearable for our safety and our property. I used to hate the evans crew when I was a Southsider and was young because they thought they were better than us. Well they Weren't. But they were right that their side of town is safer thats why I moved here. And if martinez and evans gets as bad I'll move again. I willl not put myself and children in a dangerous neighborhood and school. I'll work 4 jobs if I have to to get them out. I have lots of black friends and neighbors so don't say its a race thing. The difference is the blacks as well as the whites who live in my neighborhood don't associate with the type of people who would later come and do a drive by in my neighborhood. It has nothing to do with race or a certain side of town and everything to do with character of the people you surround yourself with!! RC the closer to town you get just has way toooooo many people who just don't care!

a2
a2 07/24/07 - 10:46 am
What kind of poroducts did he

What kind of poroducts did he take for $94.00? Gel, styling lotion, conditioner, mousse, hair color, spritz. Not your ordinary guy. And for this he went in a back room and activated the cards? This guy(girl?) is no metrosexual person, this guy is a bad as you wanna be , ms thang gay guy.

opinions
opinions 07/24/07 - 11:16 am
I think the remarks made here

I think the remarks made here should be about the woman beating her son and not about someone stealing cards for hair products! They should have beat her azz and put her in a tub full of ice water before they called the law! So what if you went to jail for it. Ok, you would get a fine for doing it but it sure would have been worth the trouble! This is exactly why I couldn't work in the ER as a nurse because I have no sympathy for people like this. To beat on a child!!! or abuse a child in any kind of way should be punished very harshly by the law!

misscj0123
misscj0123 07/24/07 - 12:08 pm
I believe that people who

I believe that people who abuse children (example being the mother in the article) will get what is coming to them. I still believe you reap what you sew...eventually.

happythoughts
happythoughts 07/24/07 - 12:11 pm
She snapped! Too bad there

She snapped! Too bad there are both men and women, boys and girls out there right now caring for a child and teetering on the edge. So many people are capable of losing it. It takes a special person who knows what children are made of to keep it under control.

crackertroy
crackertroy 07/24/07 - 12:14 pm
Ha! Ms. Shinn fought the

Ha! Ms. Shinn fought the system and won! When will that silly board of education ever learn. I hope Dr. Bedden is reading the metro section today.

aj
aj 07/24/07 - 06:24 pm
Does anyone know when the tax

Does anyone know when the tax free weekends are? I must have missed it. My hubby said he heard it on the radio.

unknown1
unknown1 07/24/07 - 09:23 pm
Postal employee stealing!!! I

Postal employee stealing!!! I am veteran looking for a job. If he wanted to steal they could have given that job to me. A honest person like me would love to have that job.

Sunshine07
Sunshine07 07/25/07 - 01:44 am
To the person that posted the

To the person that posted the comment about the postal worker in Evans, I think that was a real stupid comment to make. The postal worker prob. lived in Evans or in Martinez. You people kill me you always assume that your side of town is so much better than another. Let's get real your side of town has crime too but you all have a good way of hiding it and keeping it out of the media.