Lawsuit alleges racism

The former director of Augusta's engineering department has sued the city, alleging her firing was racially motivated.

Teresa Smith: Former Richmond County Public Works Director claims she was fired in 2005 because she is black.  File/Staff
File/Staff

Teresa Smith filed her U.S. District Court lawsuit against the city last week. The city will have 30 days to respond.

City commissioners voted to terminate Ms. Smith in December 2005. The majority cited numerous complaints from businesses that dealt with the engineering department under Ms. Smith's leadership.

Ms. Smith, who is black, contends in the lawsuit her ouster was due to the anger of a number of powerful, white developers who pressed white city commissioners to get rid of her.

According to the lawsuit, Ms. Smith alleges Commissioners Jimmy Smith and Don Grantham led a harassment campaign that included a grand jury investigation.

In March 2005, city commissioners voted to break up the public works and engineering department. Ms. Smith alleges the positions of public services and solid waste directors were given to two white men who were paid as much as she was, or more.

Ms. Smith contends she was a sacrificial lamb unfairly fired for alleged conduct that did not result in the termination of white employees.

She seeks reinstatement, back pay, and unspecified compensatory and punitive damages.

Just My Opinion
Just My Opinion 07/24/07 - 04:32 am
Man...sometimes I wish I was

Man...sometimes I wish I was black! If I don't do my job and get fired, I can yell racism. If I don't pay my bills and my power gets turn off, I can yell racism and that's why I'm impoverished. If I don't do well in school, I can yell racism and add that the books are written by racists and that's why I can't understand their point of view. If I serve on a county commission and don't get my way, I can yell racism. If someone reads this comment and says they don't like it because it smacks of racism, their racists! After all, didn't I just say that sometimes I wish I was black?!?

intheknow
intheknow 07/24/07 - 05:11 am
BUCKYDAWG, you would commit

BUCKYDAWG, you would commit suicide, if you woke up black. Man, so when Austin Rhodes filed a law suit, stating that he was passed over for a job, because he was white, I do not remember hearing the kind of bull you are spreading. I do not know if her suit has merit or not. That is what the courts are for. I am waiting for the 200 or more comments to come out on this one. Mine is number 2. By the may Bucky, it is called Zolof or Prozac. Try some.

bayouboogie
bayouboogie 07/24/07 - 06:03 am
BuckyDawg, How about some

BuckyDawg, How about some good old Castleberry's chili? My treat.

justus4
justus4 07/24/07 - 06:13 am
Right on intheknow! I've

Right on intheknow! I've followed this acton by the commission and it was totally mishandled. Her lawsuit is a slam dunk, but she must watch out for settlements and other tricks that the media will try to spin. She was fired and a fire chief was hired. She has a degree, the chief do not. That was a blatant act of southern, racist, in-your-face injustice. I have never recovered from that decision, it hurt that much, because my life was ruined by the exact kind of racist whites in DoD. She will succeed and i hope her payment put a hugh dent in the city's budget. Retribution? You bet. The city, including white citizens who supported this firing should be responsible for the tab.

Khaaaaaan
Khaaaaaan 07/24/07 - 06:17 am
Teresa Smith was replaced

Teresa Smith was replaced with a black man. A black man who does the job 100 times better than she did. Bring on the case!
It wasn't about race, it was about competence.

CHIEF
CHIEF 07/24/07 - 06:19 am
She was a uneducated and

She was a uneducated and ignorant leader who did more to harm the city and the department of public works than Marion Williams ever did or does.

bayouboogie
bayouboogie 07/24/07 - 06:23 am
There is enough chili for you

There is enough chili for you Chief.

superman6282000
superman6282000 07/24/07 - 06:46 am
bayouboogie, why don't you go

bayouboogie, why don't you go choke on your chili, and read this again.... there is no way Teresa Smith wins this lawsuit!!!!

raptcontemplation
raptcontemplation 07/24/07 - 06:49 am
Explain to me, please, if she

Explain to me, please, if she was replaced by an African-American, that this is about race.

AugustaHeph homeowner
AugustaHeph homeowner 07/24/07 - 06:50 am
BuckyDawg, you are right, I

BuckyDawg, you are right, I have been passed up and shunned on many times, well let me tell you I have been connected with the City-County Business since 1976 and I will be the first to say - Teresa Snith should not have a leg to stand on. The blacks make it racial - they are a lot more racial than whites will ever be. If Marion Williams and his cronies like him would keep their business to themself, life in Augusta would be much better. This is why we have PROBLEMS. As I listen to the news at 6:55am now, Here we are we another Charles Larke on hand for the BOE. Help us Atlanta, Washington, someone, somewhere.
WE are headed for Augusta to be a LIL Atlanta, justus4, bayouboogie-be quiet. Khaaaaaan and CHIEF- thank you!!If you check the city/county office see how many are black dept managers and how many office people are there with them and everybody is kin to everybody and watch them work and who does the work to kepp the offcie actually going, white people...It doesn't mater--black or white-DO THE JOB AND KEEP YOUR JOB, T.SMITH GO HOME AND CRYYYYYYYYYYYYand please take williams and others with you.

AugustaHeph homeowner
AugustaHeph homeowner 07/24/07 - 06:50 am
BuckyDawg, you are right, I

onehotdog
onehotdog 07/24/07 - 06:51 am
REMEMBER - if the black folks

REMEMBER - if the black folks don't like what happens it is RACISM, doesn't matter if it is right or wrong.

pantherluvcik
pantherluvcik 07/24/07 - 07:06 am
I didn't hear any of you

I didn't hear any of you closet racists complaining when that white woman sued the BOE for racism, and took your precious tax dollars. But I guess it's only racism if a white person screams it. You closet racists sit and wait around for something involving race to be printed here so you can pull off your hoods and run with it. Augusta/heph you pre-judge this new superintendant because he's black, I can tell your from Hephzibah it shows. And Buckdawg you wouldn't last 5 minutes as a black person, seems your trying to find a way to justify your short comings.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 07/24/07 - 07:29 am
Why is replacing a clueless

Why is replacing a clueless black person with a competent black person racist? Alot of you whiners may not be black racists, but you write just like them.

TommyBoy
TommyBoy 07/24/07 - 07:32 am
She's just whinning!

She's just whinning!

doorag
doorag 07/24/07 - 07:33 am
I don't think there are any

I don't think there are any white racists in Gaboon, maybe panther, intheknow and justus4 neeed to make a neighborhood change.

rcs2749
rcs2749 07/24/07 - 07:38 am
Just4us.....How does the fire

Just4us.....How does the fire chief position have anything to do with the engineering dept? What you said makes no sense what so ever.

owensjef
owensjef 07/24/07 - 07:47 am
I 'll tell you why , cause if

I 'll tell you why , cause if they had given a high profile job like that to a black man who did not meet the education requirements, this town would have went nuts. Some of ya'll have short memories on the stances you take based on race and political affiliation.

owensjef
owensjef 07/24/07 - 07:51 am
If Buckydog was black he

If Buckydog was black he would choke himself it would not take 30 days to see the breaks he gets, he sure as hell could no longer drink bud lite while driving with the top down. Thats deep not many will get that. Did you get that Pat?

aintryt
aintryt 07/24/07 - 07:52 am
My question is why now? Why

My question is why now? Why not at the time of termination?

eeyore382
eeyore382 07/24/07 - 07:56 am
I wish i wasn't a white

I wish i wasn't a white person. i always wanted to be a black person. so everything can be handed to me. If i get in trouble with the law its not my fault cause im black, Jesus is also black but i don't know i wasn't walking around at that time but iwas told it was the way his hair was described in the bible i just thought it was because he didn't have any conditioner. Maybe black people were right white people are the devil then i wish i was black.

happythoughts
happythoughts 07/24/07 - 07:56 am
It's a tough world out there

It's a tough world out there for a female when her position is wanted by males. But I'm sure her department could justify her firing because anyones job mine or yours can be justified if they really wanted to get rid of us for what ever reason.

blazing1
blazing1 07/24/07 - 08:02 am
White people in the city of

White people in the city of Augusta have been getting over for years and now because they are losing their grip over this area they can't stand it. Well, guess what you need to be worried because just like in Public Enemies music "FEAR OF A BLACK PLANET" that's where Augusta is headed, like it or not.

blazing1
blazing1 07/24/07 - 08:08 am
eeyore382 everything was

eeyore382 everything was handed to White people, now that they can't get away with getting something for nothing White people are having issues because they now have to compete with other people. I've seen White people get jobs because their uncle knew the supervisor and they didn't have the skills for it and someone Black trained them and now they are in charge of that person. So yes I guess it was good to be White because you had everything given to you, I think thats called "WELFARE."

doorag
doorag 07/24/07 - 08:12 am
Awh, come on everyone, it's

Awh, come on everyone, it's just another Afro trying to get something for nothing. Isn't that what Richmond County is known for???? 90 % of the county's employees are black, 3% qualified. Just another form of public assistance for this do nothing group.

pofwe
pofwe 07/24/07 - 08:14 am
Smitty's po'd because her

Smitty's po'd because her "gravy train" made it's last run!! Now she must seek other gravies from the tax payer.

Southern_Belle2006
Southern_Belle2006 07/24/07 - 08:21 am
I just want to know why it

I just want to know why it all has to be about race. Augusta sure does like blaming it all on race weather you are black or white...get over it already.....

bigalsc
bigalsc 07/24/07 - 08:27 am
Smith was in way over her

Smith was in way over her head.Developers couldn't get plans approved in anything like a timely fashion. She lost her job. She can't find employment at the same salary with comparable benefits, so its time to sue.Pretty simple, really.I guess she got used to milking the citizens of Augusta for doing nothing and she's gonna try it again!

blazing1
blazing1 07/24/07 - 08:28 am
That's right, White people

That's right, White people get over it you are no longer the dominant force in America and that's why you are having issues. The Brown, Black, Red and Yellow are taking over. YEEEEEEEEEEEEEHAWWWWWWWWWWW!

intheknow
intheknow 07/24/07 - 08:39 am
LABRAT, More like LAFOOL.

LABRAT, More like LAFOOL. First of all, I can afford to, and will live anywhere I wish to. Secondly I am sure you are missing the Jerry Springer or Maury shows. Not PT, I knew you would not go after DAWG BRAINS, or whatever his name is. Had a black person said half of the things this person did about whites, you would try to pass a grape fruit through your rear end, saying " There they go again playing the race card. This articles are p[laced here for one reason only. So that cowards who are too afraid to say these things, in people faces, are able to spew this racial B.S.. Some of you people are so sick. The only way, you can make yourselves feel good about your PATHETIC LIVES, is by blaming eveything on Blacks. A black man got my job, a black man got my promotion. A black man stole my wife. A black man this, a black man there. Come on KPC. Whereever PTis, you will appear.

Many black colleges struggling

Although Paine has struggled with its own failures over the past several years, HBCUs across the nation are dealing with some of the same troubles that are threatening their missions and existence.