Parolee accused of scam

Richmond and Columbia County investigators are searching for a woman accused of stealing more than $80,000 by deceiving her friends and neighbors since April.

Cynthia O'Tyson: Convicted forger and thief is wanted by two counties for questioning on new charges.  Special
Special

Cynthia O'Tyson is wanted on two felony counts of theft by deception in Richmond County and one felony count in Columbia County, authorities said Wednesday.

And there are more to come.

Investigator Anita Hopson, who is pursuing the case for Richmond County, said Ms. O'Tyson posed as an employee of a fake inventory company called Wholesale Liquidators.

Representing that company, she took orders, checks and cash for everything from iPods to washing machines, investigators said.

"I have a bad feeling it's going to get huge," Investigator Hopson said.

The suspect is believed to have convinced at least one victim to take about $50,000 from church members, friends and co-workers.

"One of these victims who thought he knew her, she talked him into this and said, 'Come on, get your friends together,'" Investigator Hopson said.

"He gives her the orders, he gives her the money, and of course there is no product."

Ms. O'Tyson is on parole for forgery and theft charges that sent her to jail for more than two years in 1999.

Anyone with information on her whereabouts is asked to call Investigator Hopson at (706) 821-1080.

Reach Adam Folk at (706) 823-3339 or adam.folk@augustachronicle.com.

ListenAndLearn
ListenAndLearn 07/19/07 - 05:31 am
She'll get hers!

She'll get hers!

jackfruitpaper833
jackfruitpaper833 07/19/07 - 06:27 am
I just can't figure out WHY

I just can't figure out WHY people who spent time in Jail, wants to end up back in JAIL.

RogueKnight
RogueKnight 07/19/07 - 08:15 am
At the risk of violating AC

At the risk of violating AC posting rules, I have to tell my story. I was one of the victims from her last scam that landed her in prison, and her subsequent parole. The first time I saw her after her parole, she was being toasted at some awards banquet for an advertisers association that she was involved in. She was the belle of the ball that night. Needless to say, I was livid, but kept my mouth shut and didn't make a scene because I didn't want to embarrass my wife. As part of her last sentence, she was ordered to pay restitution. She hasn't made one attempt to pay the money that she scammed me and a few friends out of. By the way, the scam she is accused of perpetuating this time sounds a lot like the last one she did, only last time, it was to the tune of $230,000. You can check the archives from 1999 and find the related story to her last trial and conviction. Her last name at the time was REEVES. It's all public record. I hope this time, they lock her up and throw away the key.

jdcooper
jdcooper 07/19/07 - 08:43 am
Well, anyone that gives money

Well, anyone that gives money to someone like this gets what they deserve--- no return on their "investment"!!! Anything over $20 should be questioned and denied by anyone wanting money for something. Heck, I look at the girlscouts funny when they try and sell me cookies!!!

RogueKnight
RogueKnight 07/19/07 - 09:05 am
In 1998, one of her scams

In 1998, one of her scams that she got me with was the promise of a good deal on new a computer system. Her story was she had a good friend who was a Compac dealer rep and she could get them for us at wholesale price. Several of our co-workers had already bought and received systems from her, so I finally said, "It must be legit." I was one of her last, if not THE last, victims of that scam. As it turned out, she had set up company accounts at some of the computer stores by forging company officer signatures. She would then get "an order" for a system, charge it to the company, take the cash from the buyer, then shred the invoice when it came in. Unfortunately, she got my up front money (one half up front, the other half on delivery) before she could deliver the goods. But that wasn't the only way she stole from the company. I could sit here and type for hours and tell you all the different things she did.
And Mr. Cooper, I don't appreciate your remark that I deserved to be screwed over by a common crook. At the time she was doing her scams, we weren't aware she was a thief. You can KMA.

merlin
merlin 07/19/07 - 09:12 am
That remark was ugly and NO

That remark was ugly and NO ONE deserves to be screwed over. jdcooper can KMA too.

LMPGAPIGP
LMPGAPIGP 07/19/07 - 09:50 am
i can't believe she has

i can't believe she has scammed her family and friends but i also can't believe that she stooped low enough to scam her church family.

sharpshooter
sharpshooter 07/19/07 - 09:50 am
I am lucky enough to have not

I am lucky enough to have not met her but there are many victims she worked, and took. She is a professional in her trade, don't blame the people who were taken. The ponzi scams, fraud, and craft she uses are the usual trades for these people. Don't shoot a victim if they come forward to tell their stories, which educate the public. I call the former victims that are willing to help, "Heroes"!

"Don't kill the messenger" goes back to biblical times.

YESWECAN
YESWECAN 07/19/07 - 09:51 am
jdcooper you can KMA as well.

jdcooper you can KMA as well. That was mean. This guy just wanted to his story. Im sure he worked too hard for his money, to have a crook scam him out of it.

granny6
granny6 07/19/07 - 09:52 am
She is or has been on the

She is or has been on the Board of Directors of the Columbia County Chamber of Commerce! Who wouldn't trust a Colunbia County Board Member!!!

bowler
bowler 07/19/07 - 10:45 am
a little common sense and

a little common sense and some research by the victims could have prevented this from happening in the first place

tigger 2
tigger 2 07/19/07 - 10:47 am
Maybe she could be elected to

Maybe she could be elected to the r.c. board of commissioners....

RogueKnight
RogueKnight 07/19/07 - 10:54 am
In response to kitty, her

In response to kitty, her involvement with our company, and her subsequent arrest that led to her 1999 conviction, prompted the company to institute new pre-employment background investigations of all new hire employees. Had that policy been in place prior to her employment with our company, I doubt she would have been hired. I am surprised to hear she was on the board of the CCCC. I bet they didn't do a background check, either. Bowler, I assume this is what you meant by your comment.

dirtracer
dirtracer 07/19/07 - 11:21 am
Let's all take a minute to

Let's all take a minute to think about her family at this time and they maybe reading all this and they haven't done nothing wrong.

Bella
Bella 07/19/07 - 11:43 am
This woman works at Super

This woman works at Super Saver Coupons, she has tried to sell my business these coupons for a long time.......glad I didnt buy from her

RogueKnight
RogueKnight 07/19/07 - 11:49 am
I'm sorry for her family, but

I'm sorry for her family, but it is what it is. This is at least the third time she's run afoul of the law. I don't think they'll be as lenient on her this time, if she's convicted. I hope she turns herself in soon. Otherwise, she'll be a fugitive and that will just compound things for her.

PlayaFace
PlayaFace 07/19/07 - 11:49 am
they should make a movie

they should make a movie about her... i bet it would be a nail biter.

TakeAstand
TakeAstand 07/19/07 - 11:55 am
While it is true, people

While it is true, people should be more cautious, this lady is scum for doing that to people. And there is no excuse for what she did and should be punished harshly... don't let her back out...period!!! She obviously doesn't learn her lesson and can not be trusted in society. What a lowlife.

TakeAstand
TakeAstand 07/19/07 - 12:04 pm
dirtracer I understand your

dirtracer I understand your point, but it is what it is and so is she. Her family knows it too and are emarassed as heck, I'm sure. But it needs to be said escpecially by her victims. Hopefully they will show it to her. But obviously she has no reguard for anyone but herself so I doubt she will ever care. But I sure hope she has a looooooong time to think about it in jail!!!

sunshine2006
sunshine2006 07/19/07 - 12:04 pm
I am another one that she did

I am another one that she did this too. We (my family) have known her and her husband for a few years, went to their church functions with them and considered them friends. We knew her as Cyndi O'Tyson and if you look that name up in the GA DEPT of Corrections, nothing comes up. We only found out recently about her past and her maiden name. Our first reaction was, "no way". Not the Cyndi we know. Not until we saw that picture did we realize it was her.
We are not stupid people and would have never given money to someone we didn't know or trust. It is obvious that she is a professional or she wouldn't have been able to get so many friends, church people and business people involved.
This has been a very hard time for us and her other friends. Not only did we get scammed but we lost a person that we considered a friend.

RogueKnight
RogueKnight 07/19/07 - 12:21 pm
Sunshine2006, when I saw her

Sunshine2006, when I saw her at the ad council awards ceremony last year for the first time since she was incarcerated for the 1998 offenses, I kept thinking to myself, "Do these people have ANY idea about her past?" Apparently, they didn't, and she just wormed her way into a whole new employment scene, won over a whole new set of friends, and then proceeded to screw them like she did us in '98. I feel for you. Betrayal sucks. She doesn't deserve one more day of freedom. She'll do serious time once she is tried and convicted, and believe me, they'll keep her locked up this time. Remorse, rehabilitation and restitution are words that she knows nothing about.

jorgventeer
jorgventeer 07/19/07 - 12:43 pm
all of you can't seem to

all of you can't seem to understand one important thing, her side of the story. A lot of opinions, so hear is one: if the deal was too good to be true, why did you give her the money? I'm sure the ones that did were out to grab a good deal when they saw one, if you're calling her scum, low life or what have you, and you got conned out of your investment look at yourselves first and try to figure out how you fell for it. I doubt this woman did this on her own..I think she's taking the fall for someone else, something just doesn't seem right in all this.

NoGoodReason
NoGoodReason 07/19/07 - 12:49 pm
Sounds like a costly lesson

Sounds like a costly lesson to learn.. Consider yourself schooled by a pro. I've always thought that the to good to be ture deals were just that " To good to be true ". Next time she gets out people don't let it slide when you see her ask her when she got out of jail and entends to start re-paying the money she stole. Word of mouth is a prowerful tool and if your not talking nobody's listening.......

TakeAstand
TakeAstand 07/19/07 - 12:51 pm
What doesnt seem right?? Shes

What doesnt seem right?? Shes been convicted of it before. I was the one who called her those things, but I was not scammed out of any money, I didn't know her. But I have had friends offer me things but if its more than a few $ for something like a school fundraiser I am not buying. Whether she did it alone or not is irrelevant. This isn't her first time doing it and I don't care what the reason is for her doin it... it's no excuse. She is nothing more than a repeat offending criminal and I have no sympathy. Why should we?? She has no respect for others what so ever... even her friends and family... so we should have compassion for her? Where was her compassion when she stole from the people she so called cared about?

RogueKnight
RogueKnight 07/19/07 - 12:56 pm
Her side of the story

Her side of the story is...she gained people's trust, she lied, she forged signatures, she took money from hard working, honest people who, IN GOOD FAITH, believed she was trying to help them obtain goods and services, got caught, was TRIED AND CONVICTED BY A JURY OF HER PEERS. It's not an opinion, it's a FACT. Don't try to turn it around and pin the blame on the victims. JERK

jorgventeer
jorgventeer 07/19/07 - 01:09 pm
your FACTS on this particular

your FACTS on this particular incident have yet to be TRIED and CONVICTED by a jury of her peers, regardless ever heard of innocent until proven guilty? maybe YOU RogueKnight have a personal vendetta against her? You got really defensive. whatever the case may be, time will tell.

G.R.I.T.S
G.R.I.T.S 07/19/07 - 01:11 pm
If it walks like a duck,

If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, and looks like a duck, it's a DUCK! She should get exactly what she deserves. JAIL TIME. I have NO sympathy for her, but plenty for the people she scammed. I'm sure she was very good at what she does in order to take in so many people from different walks of life. Unfortunately, there are people among us that would rather take YOUR money than earn their own. Hope the catch her, lock her up and throw away the key.

PlayaFace
PlayaFace 07/19/07 - 01:13 pm
they should make a movie....

they should make a movie.... from her side of the story... a vendictive lady who lies and cheats her friends and family. it would be good.. slap in a couple interviews here and there with victims and you cant turn it down

90210 07/19/07 - 01:51 pm
This needs to be on the front

This needs to be on the front page and every local news TV channel. Who did this woman work for ?

amom
amom 07/19/07 - 01:54 pm
well the woman who stoled 70

well the woman who stoled 70 thousand from augusta sports ware got 15 yrs and 10 probation and 5 yrs max is up for parole in 10/08 and she has only been there for a yr. she may get to go to a half way house in 10/07 and this is her 3 time stealing money...... what kind of law do we have she should have to spend all the 5 yrs !!!!!!!!

City Ink: New board means more work for me

First Mayor-elect Hardie Davis will be sworn in, and the very next day the work will begin. Commissioners will meet and the gavel will fall. It will be a brand new day at City Hall.