Ex-doctor gets 20 years for sexually abusing girl

A former Augusta gynecologist was sentenced Tuesday to 20 years in prison for sexually abusing a 9-year-old girl in 2005.

Jerry Jackson Lee II: Former gynecologist must register as a sex offender as part of the maximum sentence a judge handed down.  Special
Special

Jerry Jackson Lee II, 47, of Evans, was convicted June 13 of aggravated sexual battery in Columbia County Superior Court. The jury acquitted him of three counts of child molestation.

Mr. Lee, who has since surrendered his medical license, was arrested in 2005 after police responded to a domestic dispute, prosecutors said.

Augusta Judicial Circuit Chief Judge J. Carlisle Overstreet handed down the maximum sentence, which also requires Mr. Lee to register as a sex offender.

Defense attorney Richard E. Allen asked Judge Overstreet to sentence Mr. Lee to the minimum mandatory sentence of 10 years, but the judge said the defendant posed a threat to the public and the victim's family.

Assistant District Attorney Jeff Johnston said the maximum sentence was fair based on Mr. Lee's actions.

Mr. Lee has been held without bond in the Columbia County Detention Center since his 2005 arrest on a probation violation from Hazelhurst, Ga.

That charge involved a 2004 fraud allegation in which he was accused of acquiring a controlled substance using a revoked registration number.

Reach J. Scott Trubey at 706-868-1222, ext, 109, or jeffrey.trubey@augustachronicle.com.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 07/18/07 - 06:04 am
This is just another mentally

This is just another mentally ill person that will be turned loose on the public after 15yrs or less.

christysparks
christysparks 07/18/07 - 07:02 am

Thank you to ADA Jeff Johnson and to Judge Overstreet for finally getting this criminal off the streets. The children are safe now.

christysparks
christysparks 07/18/07 - 07:05 am
He has to serve every day of

He has to serve every day of 10 years, then he will possibly come up for parole, however, he has at least 2 if not 3 more felony charges he still has to be tried for. He'll be in for quite a while!!
Thanks to the jury who found him guilty.

getalife
getalife 07/18/07 - 08:21 am
This man's victim or victims

This man's victim or victims (which is more likely than not) received a life sentence from his molesting them. The victims will have nightmares, be afraid of all men, not trust anyone, be afraid of the dark, afraid to be home alone, afraid to go out, afraid, afraid, of everything. When released, he will do the same thing again. No amount of prison time, therapy or rehabilitation will change this man!!

sweetpea
sweetpea 07/18/07 - 08:25 am
Thankfully, this predator is

Thankfully, this predator is off the streets. Many are caught every day...just check the dockets at your local courthouse. Unfortunately, there are thousands more like him still out there preying on our children. Many of them in positions where they are trusted with children such as this doctor. Our lawmakers need to tighten up on all crimes. Our laws are far too lenient on criminals. A fine or a little time in jail is not good enough. Make these criminals really pay for their crimes. I personally think we should bring back the "chain gang". Prisoners sit up in jail and watch cable television, have access to computers and internet, airconditioning, play basketball, and get 3 meals a day, etc. Many law abiding citizens in our town alone do not have cable tv or computers or even airconditioning. Prison should be a place no one wants to go

christysparks
christysparks 07/18/07 - 08:41 am
What bothers me about this

What bothers me about this criminal is how is family stood beside him, knowing all of the things he had been convicted of previously. I am not saying that they shouldn't love him, just acknowledge to the victim that they believed her. But they chose to stick by him, and let his family be more victimized. I don't know if this has been published, but he is in direct violation of the courts when he stopped his disability payments to his family and now they have no means of support. His family supported him in this endeavor as well. Now he, who claims to be an indigent, and a born again believer, and his family who stated they had no money, have hired a high priced Appeals Attorney to find loopholes in this case so it can be tried again!! This poor, innocent child may have to to through the agony of testifying again against this monster. I can only pray that he loses any appeals and that the people he is incarcerated with show him the "Mercy" he showed to this little girl!

Jillian
Jillian 07/18/07 - 08:44 am
I am SO HAPPY the jury was

I am SO HAPPY the jury was strong enough to come back with a verdict that brings some sense of justice to the victim. This guy held a position of trust within the medical community, as is the case with many abusers, good standing within their community, above average income, educated, the type of guy/girl who thinks "nobody will believe this about me" Well guess what- this time the jury believed!

Thank you Judge Overstreet, and thank you to all members of the Jury.

dizzyjo
dizzyjo 07/18/07 - 08:58 am
Finally, thank goodness the

Finally, thank goodness the system worked. This devil does not deserve to be on the streets where he has access to innocent children. Hopefully he will learn in prison how it feels to be the victim instead of the predator. Sick, disgusting man!

CHIEF
CHIEF 07/18/07 - 10:16 am
death penalty is not good

death penalty is not good enough

My Opinion
My Opinion 07/18/07 - 10:21 am
ChristySparks - what world do

ChristySparks - what world do you live in (The Children are Safe Now) for every child molester taken off the street there are plenty more to take their place - believe me, I Know!!!

beccab126
beccab126 07/18/07 - 10:22 am
Christysparks, this an awful

Christysparks, this an awful situation all the way around. I just happend upon this article, but why is it that you can't keep your mouth shut? What Mr. Lee did is sick and he deserves to be locked up forever because he isn't fit to be with the rest of us, but his kids have been through enough. They didn't do anything to deserve this and to have you running your mouth about his family isn't really necessary. I am so glad that the system worked, it is high time that people who deserve to be in jail get kept in jail - but keep their families out of it!

christysparks
christysparks 07/18/07 - 11:45 am
Becca126, You have not been

Becca126,
You have not been privy to all that has happened in the household of the children of this man. I have!! I have had to hold them, listen to their fears that their father will get out and kill them, listen to them cry.
I have been the target of his mother and older sister in verbal abuse. I have watched and been a witness to his family supporting Jerry in NOT paying Child Support. They have left these children hanging out to dry. So don't get down on me. I have been there you haven't. Suffice to say he is evil. My grandchildren don't have to worry or concern themselves about anything I say about his family as they are old enough now to see and understand how his family operates and they have made their own Conscious decisions to not want to have anything to do with them.

christysparks
christysparks 07/18/07 - 11:51 am
Realistic, I am well aware of

Realistic,
I am well aware of the many child molesters out there in every community. I am not naive. I live in the real world and if you saw and heard what I have seen and heard every day of my working life, you wouldn't assume that I don't know.
When I said The children are safe now, I was referring to his children. They are safe from him for at least 10 years, because we all know that a sentence of 20 years means he can come up for parole after his mandatory 10 years. He has several more felony charges against him that have not come to trial yet. Assault with a weapon and 2 other charges. So again, the state of Georgia will have to spend money to hold a trial that he will have to participate in and will in all probability be found guilty.

pav2003
pav2003 07/18/07 - 12:48 pm
Totally sick!!! Not that it

Totally sick!!! Not that it makes a difference, but I would like to know if this 9 year old child a patient of his?

whyme
whyme 07/18/07 - 01:49 pm
It took this man countless

It took this man countless years to finally commit a crime that gets him locked up for a while. He should never have been allowed to go to PA and medical school but people were afraid to tell him "no". He beats his son (we thought he only had 1 child) even as a child, beats his wife, makes her put some lame letter in the Columbia County paper that anyone with a brain can see is bogus, and then terrorizes the medical field. You should see the pages of info at the medical license site; what a sociopath. If you google his name, there's a plea from his mother-in-law for help for her daughter. And yet people are on here writing that they were there for them. Please. With a personality disorder like this there is nothing you could do for them except maybe feel like you were "in the know".

widowjones
widowjones 07/18/07 - 02:00 pm
Families are always factors

Families are always factors in the problem one way or another. I'm sure there were family members in this situation who either knew, or suspected, that this man's behavior was distorted long before he was arrested. Mine attacked me when I discovered that a step-brother had molested my children. They called me every name in their vocabulary for accusing this "innocent" young man who had a problem with "sleep-walking." Except for my lawyer, I had no support from other family members, so I agreed to mental health therapy, instead of incarceration for the brother. This was years before medical and law enforcement sources realized rehabilitation was nearly impossible. Since that time, from my ostracized viewpoint outside the family, I have watched this brother's own child deteriorate into a mental-emotional wreck turning to drugs to deal with the pain of being molested by her father. Over the years I've learned of other female victims in the family, and dearly regretted that I was beaten down so far that I did not have the strength to follow through on criminal charges.

PlayaFace
PlayaFace 07/18/07 - 02:35 pm
believe it or not this is

believe it or not this is exactly why its so scary for me to see a doctor. i am terrified of them... sad huh? i wont even have surgery because i'm terrified something will happen to me while im under

peanut
peanut 07/18/07 - 03:30 pm
To whyme, he actually has 7

To whyme, he actually has 7 children. 2 were lucky enough to be out of wedlock and never had any interaction with him.

bayouboogie
bayouboogie 07/19/07 - 01:35 am
Hope this guy has lots of KY

Hope this guy has lots of KY in lock up. Don't drop the soap.

whyme
whyme 07/19/07 - 09:40 am
Wow! 7 kids! He had only 1

Wow! 7 kids! He had only 1 that we knew of back in 1985. We felt so sorry for his wife then when he bragged on the first day of school about beating her! We ran into them once in public and she and their son looked terrified. We used to be afraid driving down the highway and passing him, that he would do something to us!

peanut
peanut 07/19/07 - 10:12 am
Well, she was lucky and

Well, she was lucky and divorced him in 87. He had a child with another woman while he was married to her. I was the unfortunate one to be next. We had 4 kids and he had a child with another woman while married to me.

sanders20
sanders20 07/19/07 - 12:12 pm
kandyl......

kandyl......

beccab126
beccab126 07/23/07 - 07:31 pm
ChristySSparks, I

ChristySSparks, I misunderstood your original post. I thought that you meant that you were upset that the kids, had in some way, stuck by their Dad. While I do know the Lee family, I am certainly not as aware of the situation as you are and at the time I didn't realize who you were. The way I originally took your posting, it just angered me that someone was bringing the kids into the situation. I've heard things about how horrible it all was, but I can't even begin to imagine! I'm sorry!

whyme
whyme 07/24/07 - 12:14 pm
KandyL, may you now have as

KandyL, may you now have as peaceful a life as you can...you deserve all good things...it's folks like your ex that make me very cautious when looking for a potential date/husband-blessings to you all...