'Money' ranks Martinez high

Another Columbia County community has been named as one of the best places to live in America.

Work continues on the Kroger renovation on Columbia Road. Martinez has been named to Money magazine's top 100 best places to live for communities with 7,000 to 50,000 residents.  Jim Blaylock/Staff
Jim Blaylock/Staff

On Monday, Money magazine recognized Martinez as the 76th Best Place to Live among a top 100 list for 2007.

"I'm kind of happy about that," said Columbia County Commissioner Tommy Mercer, whose district includes Martinez. "I think the best place to live in the country is Columbia County, wherever you live in Columbia County."

Two years ago, the same publication put Evans on its list at No. 32. Evans was not listed this year.

A message left with Money requesting a comment on the list was not immediately returned Monday.

According to a magazine news release, it took into consideration a sense of community, economic opportunities, racial diversity and good schools. The list was whittled down from an initial list of 2,876 communities.

According to the magazine, Martinez has a population of 30,900, a median family income of $73,696, a median home price of $192,465 and average property taxes of $1,433 as of 2006. It also is listed as having 87.1 percent of residents on a health plan.

Middleton, Wis., with a population of 17,400, took the top spot.

Only two other Georgia communities, Suwanee at 10th place and Peachtree City at 64th, made the list.

Reach Preston Sparks at (706) 868-1222, ext. 115, or preston.sparks@augustachronicle.com.

To view Money's Top 100 Best Places to Live list and see the breakdown for Martinez, visit money.cnn.com.

NoGoodReason
NoGoodReason 07/17/07 - 10:44 am
Testing...

Testing...

maktheknife
maktheknife 07/17/07 - 10:57 am
I always thought Martinez was

I always thought Martinez was high :)

devonae
devonae 07/17/07 - 11:38 am
YEA!!! I knew it all the

YEA!!! I knew it all the time! Shame on those who want to refer to our area as "Disgusta" !!

dbc
dbc 07/17/07 - 12:23 pm
yea team!

yea team!

TakeAstand
TakeAstand 07/17/07 - 01:13 pm
I was wondering about that

I was wondering about that too scobydo... it doesn't make sense. Maybe I am missing something. I am sure the commisioners will try to find out. I hope lol

vsr812
vsr812 07/17/07 - 01:15 pm
They dropped us off the

They dropped us off the map.....put us back on and now we are one of the best places to live! I knew moving from Richmond county was the best thing I ever did!

tusmooth1
tusmooth1 07/17/07 - 02:05 pm
Its sad that people would say

Its sad that people would say that the best decision that they have ever made was moving out of one community into another...if you are the community then you are just as bad as the community you live in...."YOU ARE THE COMMUNITY".....people come on.

TakeAstand
TakeAstand 07/17/07 - 02:06 pm
yeah I know... it ticks me

yeah I know... it ticks me off that the USPS does not even recognize martinez anymore.... purchase postage online and it corrects you to choose Augusta. But yet UPS and fed ex have no trouble using the correct address. I really would like to know why they found it neccessary to make me have to fill out 2 sheets of paperwork one for my physical address and one for my mailing address when they are the exact same location. I have had a horrible time getting things delivered to me, because they are delayed until the business can confirm it is safe to send it to Augusta. They call me and tell me I filled out my address wrong!!!!

kokousa
kokousa 07/17/07 - 02:07 pm
The whole CSRA is filled with

The whole CSRA is filled with LOSERS!

kokousa
kokousa 07/17/07 - 02:08 pm
Martinez still smells like

Martinez still smells like Augusta PU!

kokousa
kokousa 07/17/07 - 02:09 pm
RC and CC stinks they bth are

RC and CC stinks they bth are filled with a bunch of old RELICS!

tusmooth1
tusmooth1 07/17/07 - 02:58 pm
Toll Charge, Toll Charge,

Toll Charge, Toll Charge, Toll Charge

TakeAstand
TakeAstand 07/17/07 - 03:06 pm
koko take your prozac!!! lol

koko take your prozac!!! lol j/k hun... you are like dr. jeckle and mr hyde ... your personality changes every day!! lol Sometimes I wonder if you are 2 people using the same ID.

TakeAstand
TakeAstand 07/17/07 - 03:15 pm
jcm... Last night on the

jcm... Last night on the news.. it says the magazine gets their picks from finances and crime rate and other things. It's not just about money and Augusta has so much crime it would take a while for them to be picked. Thats precisly the reason I moved out of Augusta to Martinez.

WorriedAboutOurFuture
WorriedAboutOurFuture 07/17/07 - 03:57 pm
(Apologies to all who already

(Apologies to all who already have commented here. I'm posting off topic for a reason.) RICHMOND CO RESIDENT: I have a tax parable for you to consider. It's longer than will fit in one posting window, but completely accurate about who actually pays the taxes in this country of ours.

The Truth About Taxes (Anonymous)_____________________

Let's put tax cuts in terms everyone can understand. Suppose that every day ten men go out for dinner. The bill for all ten comes to $100. They decided to divide up the bill the way we pay our taxes, which worked out something like this: The four poorest men would pay nothing, the fifth poorest would pay $1, the sixth would pay $3, the seventh $7, the eighth $12, and the ninth $18. The tenth man, the richest, would pay $59. The ten ate dinner in the restaurant every day and seemed quite happy with the arrangement-until one day, the owner threw them a curve._______________________________________________________
"Since you are all such good customers," he said, "I'm going to reduce the cost of your daily meal by $20,” making dinner only $80.

WorriedAboutOurFuture
WorriedAboutOurFuture 07/17/07 - 03:57 pm
The group still wanted to pay

The group still wanted to pay the same way we pay our taxes. The first four men were unaffected; they would still eat for free. The question was how the rest could divvy up the $20 windfall so that everyone would get his "fair share". The six men realized that $20 divided among the six of them is $3.33 each. But if they subtracted that from each share, then the fifth man and the sixth man would end up being *paid* to eat their meal.

Then the restaurant owner suggested that it would be fair to reduce each man's bill by roughly the same percentage of the amount they actually paid, which seemed fair to the six. As a result, the fifth man paid nothing instead of $1, the sixth pitched in $2 instead of $3, the seventh
paid $5 instead of $7, the eighth $9 instead of $12, the ninth $12 instead of $19. This left the tenth man with a bill of $52 instead of his earlier $59. Each of the six was better off than before, and the first four continued eating for free. But, once outside the restaurant, the men began to compare their savings.

WorriedAboutOurFuture
WorriedAboutOurFuture 07/17/07 - 03:58 pm
"I only got a dollar out of

"I only got a dollar out of the $20," declared the sixth man, “but he got $7!", pointing to the tenth man. "That's right," exclaimed the fifth man, "I only saved a dollar, too. It's unfair that he got seven times more than me!" "That's true!" shouted the seventh man, "Why should he get $7 back when I got only $2? The wealthy get all the breaks!" "Wait a minute," yelled the first four men in unison. "We didn't get anything at all. The system exploits the poor!" Then the nine angry men surrounded the tenth and beat him up. The next night the tenth man didn't show up for dinner so the nine sat down and ate without him. When it came time to pay the bill, they discovered something very important: They were $52 short!____________________________________________________

And that, boys and girls, journalists and college instructors, is how the tax system works. The people who pay the highest taxes get the most benefit from a tax reduction. Tax them too much, attack them for being wealthy, and they just may not show up at the table anymore.

LaTwon
LaTwon 07/17/07 - 04:07 pm
great post

great post waof...............i have never ever gotten an answer from anyone when i asked just what is my fair share. why dont we require those with minimal incomes to work 2 jobs so they can contribute more? ok rcr......if a man makes 10,000 a month, how much should the govt get? what is the fair share on this amount, fed, state, ssi, medicare, sales, etc.etc.? how do you come up with this answer?

thanks

RichmondCountyResident1
RichmondCountyResident1 07/17/07 - 04:26 pm
I tell you what, when I get

I tell you what, when I get rich I'll worry about a rich man's share.Last I heard they only pay around thirty nine percent.Athough I think this is high, I don't think he would want to trade places with me.I'm also sure he will keep coming to the table come April 15th.Latwon the government should get the going tax rate.You probably need to call H&R Block instead of me.Like I said, why are you worried about the rich man's share.

RichmondCountyResident1
RichmondCountyResident1 07/17/07 - 04:40 pm
Gotta go to work guys. We

Gotta go to work guys. We will continue tommorrow.

dasclay
dasclay 07/17/07 - 04:54 pm
Martinez and evans should be

Martinez and evans should be annexed and part of the Richmond county empire. Columbia County has no infastructure whats so ever, so it couldnt survive without augusta-richmond co. And mostly i would say a good 70-80% of the people who live in the area works in Richmond County. So maybe sorry old "Disgusta" should tax you guys? or submit and become part of the Machine!!! lol

PlayaFace
PlayaFace 07/17/07 - 05:49 pm
i thing its good to be

i thing its good to be considered a city sitting right next to the 76th best place to live..... because you live in richmond county you have to hate martinez?... is that how this city works?

i wasn't aware. sorry. i guess i should start hating martinez because its better to live there

Georgiais1
Georgiais1 07/17/07 - 06:13 pm
Why do you think Augusta

Why do you think Augusta would only hire Martinez's and Evan's people? Maybe RC doesn't have the quailified folks that Augusta needs in the work force, if the jobs are on the high end of the pay scale.

simplelesson
simplelesson 07/17/07 - 06:52 pm
I like the fellows idea for a

I like the fellows idea for a toll for CC folk to get into RC, but the door swings both ways, there needs to be a toll going from RC to CC.

TakeAstand
TakeAstand 07/17/07 - 07:34 pm
WOAF.. That was great. Thank

WOAF.. That was great. Thank you very much. But unfortunately, the people who you try to reach with that just will not see the point. I guarantee it!!

Carleton Duvall
Carleton Duvall 07/17/07 - 08:08 pm
Hell, they won't even

Hell, they won't even understand it.

TakeAstand
TakeAstand 07/17/07 - 08:26 pm
lol You are probably right

lol You are probably right scoob!!!

Rozzie2003
Rozzie2003 07/17/07 - 08:41 pm
Richmond County Resident, I

Richmond County Resident, I made millions last year and paid the same amount of taxes a person making $500,000.
The richer you are, the more you have tax write offs.
You also can purchase companies' losses for a small amount, create dummy companies and set up all kind of foundations
Some years I have paid hundred of thousand dollars.
I don't mind paying taxes because America has been very good to me.

WW1949
WW1949 07/17/07 - 09:43 pm
For all of you people who

For all of you people who fuss about Richmond County, it has been good to me. I work very hard at my business and have done very very well in Richmond and Columbia County. My tax bill each year is also in the $100,000.00 plus range. The money is there, just find something that you are good at and work hard to establish a business. No one is going to give it to you. I LIKE IT HERE.

WorriedAboutOurFuture
WorriedAboutOurFuture 07/17/07 - 09:49 pm
It's good to hear people are

It's good to hear people are doing well. You're probably helping sustain the economy around here and helping keep people employed. Way to go Rozzie and Denali.