Two arrested in preacher's slaying

BARNWELL, S.C. - Two people have been charged in connection with the July 6 shooting death of a Springfield pastor.

William Allen Owens, 31, of Williston, S.C., and Hariet Renee McKiney, 32, of Pittsville, Md., have been arrested in the murder of the Rev. Phillip McCreary Sr.

The Rev. McCreary, 51, of Springfield, died from a single gunshot wound to the head while fishing on the South Fork of the Edisto River.

Mr. Owens is being held in the Barnwell County Detention Center with a bond hearing in Blackville, S.C., scheduled for today.

Ms. McKiney is being extradited from Maryland. She is believed to be Mr. Owens' girlfriend, said Barnwell County Sheriff Ed Carroll.

Sheriff Carroll would not discuss whether a motive has been determined in the shooting.

He said the break in the case - which he declined to elaborate on - came as a surprise.

"I am thankful that there are good people left in this country able to furnish information that allowed us to arrest these individuals," he said.

On July 6, Annie McCreary became concerned when her husband didn't return home from fishing at the South Carolina 39 landing.

She went to the landing and found her husband's truck, but not him.

She then called friends to accompany her return trip to the landing to search for the pastor, Sheriff Carroll said.

That's when they discovered the Rev. McCreary's body near the edge of the river, Sheriff Carroll said.

More than 700 mourners turned out July 13 for the Rev. McCreary's funeral at the Blackville-Hilda High School auditorium.

The Rev. McCreary was an associate pastor at Blackville's Macedonia Baptist Church in Barnwell County where he taught adult Sunday school and Wednesday night Bible study.

jmoval0315
jmoval0315 07/17/07 - 11:27 am
Not one comment, why?

Not one comment, why?

RichmondCountyResident1
RichmondCountyResident1 07/17/07 - 11:49 am
Jmoval you know why their are

Jmoval you know why their are know comments. I can't say why because some people might call me racist. I' m just glad someone spoke up.This is a sad situation. But if these two committed this crime, they should be punished to fullest extent of the law. I'll pray for all of the families involved.

misscj0123
misscj0123 07/17/07 - 11:55 am
I am not prejudiced jmoval if

I am not prejudiced jmoval if that was what you were trying to say. I think that anyone who hurts another individual or takes their life, especially the life of this poor man, should be punished. I am glad they caught them. No one should get by with breaking the law no matter who they are.

bone
bone 07/17/07 - 12:00 pm
definitely these two should

definitely these two should be prosecuted. white on black crime is just as bad as any other crime.

TakeAstand
TakeAstand 07/17/07 - 12:31 pm
OH please ... Where was your

OH please ... Where was your outrage over the inncident and condolences for the family jmoval??? As usual, All you cared about is that the white people didn't post . At least RCR cares a lil more about the fact a good man was killed to post something worth reading. I saw this last night on the news and was sickened. This was a senseless killing of a good man. I hope they are put under the jail!! The sorry pieces of trash took this man from his family. My prayers go out to them all.

Galan Lewis
Galan Lewis 07/17/07 - 12:56 pm
So sad that this happened.

So sad that this happened. Killing one of God's children. Supects, beware, your punishment is only minor on this Earth, wait until judgement day. My prayers are with this family and their community, as they go through this difficult time.

LaTwon
LaTwon 07/17/07 - 01:11 pm
i guess the fact that lots of

i guess the fact that lots of people couldnt post because of a technical glitch has nothing to do with why there were no posts.
its because whitey is so racist............. great use of the english language rcr.......... so why is it you think conservatives are so greedy? you never answered. tia

RichmondCountyResident1
RichmondCountyResident1 07/17/07 - 01:54 pm
Excuse me for going off the

Excuse me for going off the subject a bit. Latwon , I said conservatives are greedy because they want to manipulate the tax codes and will use any means albeit legal to enrich themselves. Just like this so called fair tax.The real intent is to lower the burden for the rich and shift the burden to the poor and middle class.The latter can least afford it. I'm not talking about class warfare or soak the rich. I'm talking about paying your fair share and quit whining about it. The minimum wage is held down, while many business owners live it up on cheap labor. I'm not saying all of them but some do.A lot of what they do may be legal, but it may be immoral.There are plenty of other examples.

Rose
Rose 07/17/07 - 01:55 pm
I tried to post this morning.

I tried to post this morning. I think it is a shame and a disgrace that those fools killed this man. How those two can live with themselves is beyond me. I hope they get what is coming to them.

TakeAstand
TakeAstand 07/17/07 - 02:00 pm
Noooo Latwon... it could

Noooo Latwon... it could never be that the posts were not working this morning!! lol

Rose
Rose 07/17/07 - 02:00 pm
LaTwon, whitey is so

LaTwon, whitey is so rascist?Sounds like you have hate in your heart.You need help.

quickfeet
quickfeet 07/17/07 - 02:11 pm
absolutly rediculous that you

absolutly rediculous that you on this comment board have turned this horrible situation into a racist issue. unbelievable......

t of i
t of i 07/17/07 - 02:14 pm
I think you mis-read, Rose.

I think you mis-read, Rose. LaTwon is not a racist.

RichmondCountyResident1
RichmondCountyResident1 07/17/07 - 02:21 pm
Lighten up Rose and ace I

Lighten up Rose and ace I think Latwon was just being sarcastic.Although it was not neccessary.Crime is crime it does not matter what color the victim or accused a good man is dead.

misscj0123
misscj0123 07/17/07 - 02:31 pm
RCR you are totally right.

RCR you are totally right.

bone
bone 07/17/07 - 02:58 pm
i can't write much now - i'm

i can't write much now - i'm busy manipulating the tax code to enrich myself. but i must say i am all in favor of anything that gives me the chance to keep more of what i earn rather than give it to my friends in the gov't. fair tax, no irs, and privatization of social security are all fine ideas for me. but back to the original point: crime is bad. now, more market manipulating...

CoastalDawg
CoastalDawg 07/17/07 - 03:03 pm
As long as EVERY situation is

As long as EVERY situation is turned into a racial one by posters such as many of these, racism will live on. Murder is murder whether the victim(s) and/or killer is black , white, purple or green. Race doesn't matter. Murderers should get their just punishments without manipulation of the courts or jurors by either prosecutors or defense attorneys. This is a terrible time for the victim's family and friends and a senseless killing. Watch now though, defense attorneys will be attempting to victimize the victim if things go as usual. And prosecutors will do everything possible to make the "facts" fit the situation. Even after a jury acts, you can be certain that won't be the end of the story. Even the Supreme Court isn't "supreme". Just ask the people of Savannah who got up to the last day for a man convicted of killing a policeman 18 years ago and now suddenly "new" evidence appears. The condemned man who claims to know the "real killer" said that he didn't give the "real" killers name to police all those years ago because he didn't want to be a "snitch". Seven people now say that they committed perjury in the trial. So now the board of pardons becomes "supreme".

Tomas Pane
Tomas Pane 07/17/07 - 03:11 pm
People as these seem to be,

People as these seem to be, deserve no mercy from society.

marien
marien 07/17/07 - 03:14 pm
Thou Shalt Not Kill.........

Thou Shalt Not Kill.........

RichmondCountyResident1
RichmondCountyResident1 07/17/07 - 03:22 pm
Bone, if most people who in

Bone, if most people who in the middle class voted like they were middle class, there would be no need for this conversation.Sarcasm is not neccessary, say what you mean.Some of you bought into this idealism(conservatism), it seem the facts do not matter. You seem to think others want what you have. Why? Most of you are no better off than liberals, they are just more compassionate in their beliefs.

TakeAstand
TakeAstand 07/17/07 - 03:24 pm
Yes LaTwon was being

Yes LaTwon was being sarcastic. She was refering to that instead of them complaning whitey is racist that people didnt post because the posts were not working this morning!!

TakeAstand
TakeAstand 07/17/07 - 03:25 pm
jmoval.. where are you??

jmoval.. where are you??

WorriedAboutOurFuture
WorriedAboutOurFuture 07/17/07 - 03:28 pm
I swear I wish the

I swear I wish the Chronic-ill wouldn't allow comments on articles like this, so soon after the family's devastating loss. I urge all of you to remember this grieving family and their friends and relatives, who might well being reading what we write today, and be kind to each other. There are plenty of other articles we could shift over to if the desire to verbally duke it out is just irresistable. I will be posting rebuttals to RCR over on the Martinez article.

Augusta Mom
Augusta Mom 07/17/07 - 03:36 pm
I personally think this was a

I personally think this was a terrible thing and both of those people who are responsible should get the death sentence! It does not matter who is black or who is white.....this was a senseless crime. It was not clear...Do they believe this was a robbery? They mentioned his wife finding his truck so they didn't take the truck. In this world we must all be very careful about going alone to remote places.....a person alone makes such an easy target.

TakeAstand
TakeAstand 07/17/07 - 03:38 pm
I so agree WAOF. And the

I so agree WAOF. And the very first comment started out with cause instead of compassion and still hasnt been given. Like I said I was sickened to hear this on the news and pray for each and every friend and family member grieving their tragic loss.

bone
bone 07/17/07 - 03:52 pm
your right, waof. i had a

your right, waof. i had a long post idea ready to go, but instead i'll cease and desist in favor of leaving space for those who wish to express their condolences to the family of the victim.

PlayaFace
PlayaFace 07/17/07 - 06:06 pm
my heart is with the

my heart is with the family.....

this is a horrible situation and hopefully justice will be served. thats ALL that needs to be said.

Rose
Rose 07/17/07 - 06:37 pm
A senseless murder. I want

A senseless murder. I want this man's family and loved ones to know that we are praying for them and feel for them. We care.

Rozzie2003
Rozzie2003 07/17/07 - 08:29 pm
Bless this family and I

Bless this family and I don't care to comment either.
I am praying for the family also.

critter
critter 07/17/07 - 08:55 pm
What the devil is wrong with

What the devil is wrong with these people? Just go shoot some guy while he's fishing? Geez.....if they are indeed the ones who did it, I hope they put them under the jail. My condolences to the family.