Musharraf's next move

Pervez Musharraf is a lucky man. He made a deal with the devil, and the devil backed out.

He needs to turn his good fortune into ours.

The Pakistani president's government had agreed to leave tribes along the Afghanistan border alone, and basically self-governing, in return for their not raiding NATO and U.S. troops across the border.

Be careful what you wish for: The result of the deal was a safe haven for Osama bin Laden, al-Qaida, Taliban supporters and other Islamic extremists - who not only are free to train and plan for attacks on the West, but on Musharraf.

Indeed, his plane was fired on last Friday, and he has survived at least three other assassination attempts.

Musharraf has always been a reluctant warrior against radical Muslims; it's an open secret that he hasn't wanted to upset the apple cart by cracking down on them.

Things may be different now.

The extremists on the Afghan border have dropped their truce with Musharraf's government - and Islamist attacks in Pakistan in recent days have killed dozens.

Then there's the siege of a radical cleric in a mosque in Islamabad: The cleric's open challenge to Musharraf, and the cleric's desire to impose strict Islamic law, forced Musharraf's hand.

The siege of the mosque cost more than 70 lives, but may have provided Musharraf the cover he needs to finally crack down on extremists. Pakistani troops are reportedly on the move, and Musharraf has asked for the public's help.

"The menace of extremism and militancy need to be curbed by the government with the cooperation of the people,'' he was quoted as saying.

We need Musharraf to mean it, and to follow through. If his government doesn't crack down, extremism might bring him down. And remember: Pakistan is a nuclear country. A radical government could slip nuclear weapons to terrorists intent on destroying American cities.

Similarly, if Musharraf doesn't impose his will on the renegade territories on the Afghan border, the next big attack on America may hatch there.

All bets should be off, and so should the gloves.

charles yonce
charles yonce 07/17/07 - 11:37 am
musharraf is the devil

musharraf is the devil himself. he is a 2 bit crook trying to play both sides of the fence.the us has paid him and his useless country over 5 billion dollars for the capture of binladen.of course, those of us with an IQ over 70 know that he's not looking anymore than we are.bush is loyal to his friends in which the binladen family is included.google this is you need proof.

JohnRandolphHardisonCain
JohnRandolphHardisonCain 07/17/07 - 11:46 am
I'm no fan of Gen. Pervez

I'm no fan of Gen. Pervez Musharraf who came to power in a coup d'etat
in 1999, but I doubt The Chronicle is aware of how wild the tribal
areas of Pakistan are. The Afghanistan-Pakistan border runs more than
1450 miles along rugged terrain. President Bush referred to the tribal
areas of Pakistan as "the wild west". There are more than 160 million
Pakistanis. I don't know how many of them live in the tribal areas
along the border, but Pakistan's central government has NEVER had
control of these areas & the tribesmen identify more with
their Afghan neighbors than with Pakistanis in Islamabad, Karachi, or
Lahore. Gen Musharraf's hold on power & perhaps on the Pakistan
military is tenuous at best. Pakistan is a nuclear armed state. If the
General pushes too hard against the tribal areas he risks widespread
violence that could threaten his hold on power. Pakistanis are angry
with Musharraf because he sacked a judge who is widely seen as honest, independent, and critical of the Musharraf government. Then
Musharraf presided over a blood bath in the Red Mosque in Islamabad,
the capital of Pakistan. Discontent with Musharraf is widespread. The
Chronicle & Americans need to know this.

JohnRandolphHardisonCain
JohnRandolphHardisonCain 07/17/07 - 01:24 pm
Today at least 12 people were

Today at least 12 people were killed by a suicide bomber ahead of a
rally in Islamabad the capital of Pakistan which is also where the Red
Mosque is located. Islamabad is not located in the tribal areas and may
indicate that violence and political unreast is spreading in Pakistan.
Let's hope U.S. efforts to stem growing radicalization in those tribal
homelands isn't too little too late. I suspect it is.
http://www.iht.com/articles/2007/07/15/business/tribal.php -
"U.S. plans $750 million in aid for Pakistani tribal areas" By Jane
Perlez [International Herald Tribune] Published: July 15, 2007

_kpc_
_kpc_ 07/17/07 - 04:50 pm
Let's hope it's not too

Let's hope it's not too late....and let's not stop fighting the terrorists either. Maybe congress will stop meddling with the millitary like they did in Vietnam.

JohnRandolphHardisonCain
JohnRandolphHardisonCain 07/17/07 - 05:27 pm
kpc, You are showing your

kpc, You are showing your ignorance of both the present situation in
Pakistan & the historical situation in Vietnam. The consensus among
historians is that the US war in Vietnam was an unnecessary war. We
were not fighting expansionist international communism in Vietnam. We
took over a neocolonial war from the French. Vietnam, like Iraq has
become today, was a CIVIL war. It was NONE of our business. Congress
was railroaded into authorizing an escalation of the Vietnam war after
the suspect 1964 Gulf of Tonkin incident. Similarly Congress was
stampeded into authorizing the President to use force in Iraq "in order
to strengthen the President's hand at the negotiating table". Bush
promised force would be used "only as a last resort". Gen Pervez
Mushsarraf can throw the whole Pakistan military against Islamists in
the tribal regions of Pakistan & LOSE both the fight & his hold
on power. The US Congress has the power of the purse. They defunded the
Vietnam War. Congress did not "meddle with the military". They used
their Constitutional power. Tonight Congress will be in session all
night debating the way forward in Iraq. It is time to wind down U.S.
involvement in this unnecessary war.

_kpc_
_kpc_ 07/17/07 - 05:40 pm
I never argued whether or not

I never argued whether or not it was necessary, just that failure was caused by congress meddling, ie who we can fire at etc (if you were there you would have known). Congress is bent on ensuring failure once again.

_kpc_
_kpc_ 07/17/07 - 05:41 pm
Have you worked up the

Have you worked up the courage to ask for press credentials in person yet, or are you still planning on settling for a letter?

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 07/17/07 - 06:15 pm
Scobydo, I'm in a quandary

Scobydo, I'm in a quandary about your new name. Without the oo spelling do you give up the oo sound? Does the new pronunciation now have a long o? and How about the do? when you spelled with a oo I allowed the pronunciation of the do to rhyme with the oo (as the dogage of the same-like name. While the famous character used a doo spelling, the do was already established so ....) Anyway, I digress. If the o in the Scoby part is long, should the o in the do part also be pronounced long so it will continue to rhyme? This may not seem important to you, but I'm in a quandary.

_kpc_
_kpc_ 07/17/07 - 06:17 pm
Ah...what's in a name? A

Ah...what's in a name? A scooby by any other name still smells like a dog. Ruh Ro Shaggy.

_kpc_
_kpc_ 07/17/07 - 06:36 pm
I was just joking! Sorry if

I was just joking! Sorry if I offended.

t of i
t of i 07/17/07 - 06:43 pm
Scooby, why don't you change

Scooby, why don't you change it to scuubydo? We'll know who you are and pat will her phonetic pronunciation.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 07/17/07 - 06:48 pm
JRHCain, if one passes your

JRHCain, if one passes your posts through a pooh filter to glean the facts then one would see that even you know the purpose of the current democrat party controlling congress is to try the same technique that was so successful following the Tet Offensive in the last war. The left had total control of the press back then and were able to trick a large part of the nation into believing they were telling the truth and so turned the country into a downward spiral that continued until Reagan was able to break it. The thing is, this tactic won't work now. Since Gore invented the internet and Rush resuscitated AM the left can only trick half of the country. Your skewed views of how politics works, both national and international, are often wrong. Your sources, while interesting, are often wrong and your deductions, while repetitious (ad nauseam),are often wrong. As to whether the hold on power of Musharraf is tenuis, well, he is a military dictator, and as to whether congress will be able to force its will on the President and against its own vote, that remains to be seen. Calm yourself and think good things about your current country of choice.

_kpc_
_kpc_ 07/17/07 - 06:51 pm
Is it truly his country of

Is it truly his country of choice. Not one he would choose to defend.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 07/17/07 - 06:51 pm
Ahh, a wonderful idea t of i,

Ahh, a wonderful idea t of i, I feel myself returning to center already. oom-m-m-m

Carleton Duvall
Carleton Duvall 07/17/07 - 06:51 pm
I am getting closer. kpc, you

I am getting closer. kpc, you did not offend me. I recognized your humor. It sometimes evades me but I am beginning to learn. My name is now is scoobydo1.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 07/17/07 - 06:53 pm
oom-m-m-m

oom-m-m-m

Carleton Duvall
Carleton Duvall 07/17/07 - 06:54 pm
If a message is posted signed

If a message is posted signed scoobydo it will be an imposter.

t of i
t of i 07/17/07 - 06:54 pm
scooby's idea was better than

scooby's idea was better than mine. He is indeed wise.

t of i
t of i 07/17/07 - 07:00 pm
Perhaps the system won't let

Perhaps the system won't let you change your name back even if it was yours to start with. Does anyone know if that is the case?

Carleton Duvall
Carleton Duvall 07/17/07 - 07:03 pm
It looks that way, t of i

It looks that way, t of i

_kpc_
_kpc_ 07/17/07 - 07:04 pm
Pat....Cain will never stand

Pat....Cain will never stand for that! He's NEVER wrong!

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 07/17/07 - 07:06 pm
I've tried changing my name

I've tried changing my name back to an old one and I keep getting the "name already taken" notice. Once you've given up a name, or had it taken from you, it seems to be lost. After all, what's in a name? I'd recognize scoobydo1 anywhere.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 07/17/07 - 07:07 pm
kpc, I've got to humbly admit

kpc, I've got to humbly admit that the only time I've seen Cain be wrong is when he disagrees with me.

_kpc_
_kpc_ 07/17/07 - 07:16 pm
lol

lol

t of i
t of i 07/17/07 - 09:11 pm
I have to love self confident

I have to love self confident people. Lack of self confidence is a pesky trait of mine.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 07/17/07 - 09:23 pm
Self confidence doesn't

Self confidence doesn't necessarily mean you're right. It just means you're comfortable living with your decision.

t of i
t of i 07/17/07 - 09:40 pm
Pat, I want to know that I am

Pat, I want to know that I am right before I inflict my self confidence on others.