Mother says baby's talk got her kicked off plane

ATLANTA - The mother of a 19-month-old boy said she and her son were kicked off a plane after she refused a stewardess's request to medicate her son to keep him from talking.

Kate Penland said she and her son, Garren, boarded the Continental Express plane last month in Houston on a trip from Atlanta to Oklahoma via Houston.

"As we started taxiing, he started saying, 'Bye, bye plane,'" Ms. Penland, who lives in suburban Atlanta, told WSB-TV in Atlanta.

The stewardess objected, Ms. Penland said.

"At the end of her speech, she leaned over the gentleman beside me and said, 'It's not funny anymore. You need to shut your baby up,'" Ms. Penland said

Ms. Penland said the stewardess also said, "You know, it's called baby Benadryl."

"And I said, 'Well, I'm not going to drug my child so you have a pleasant flight,'" Ms. Penland told the TV station.

She said the flight attendant announced they were turning around and that Ms. Penland and Garren were going to be taken off the plane.

"I was crying, I was upset and I was thinking, 'What am I going to do? I don't have anything with me. I don't have anymore diapers for the baby, no juice, no milk,'" Ms. Penland said.

Ms. Penland did not continue on the flight, said Kristy Nicholas, spokeswoman for ExpressJet Airlines. She said ExpressJet flies as Continental Express for Continental Airlines.

Ms. Nicholas said, "We received Ms. Penland's letter expressing her concerns and intend to investigate its contents."

Ms. Penland said she later learned the flight attendant told the pilot that she was threatened. Ms. Penland said that never happened.

A fellow passenger told WSB that none of the other passengers had problems with Garren and that Ms. Penland never threatened the flight attendant.

MyOpinion1
MyOpinion1 07/13/07 - 03:06 am
I hope they fire that

I hope they fire that attendant and Ms. Penland needs to take that to court. I know I would.

rbk
rbk 07/13/07 - 05:35 am
I agree with MyOpinion. That

I agree with MyOpinion. That flight attendant should be punished. If other passengers had been bothered by the child, the mother and child could have been moved to another seat in another part of the plane. The airline should provide some kind of compensation for this incident.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 07/13/07 - 06:22 am
A single attendant working a

A single attendant working a flight is a tough assignment. One can become a little crabby. I foresee financial remuneration in Ms Penlands future.

keepinitreal
keepinitreal 07/13/07 - 06:29 am
Seems to me the flight

Seems to me the flight attendant was suffering with some type of fear with the words from the baby's vocabulary. Think about it. I mean a baby only has a limited amount of words at that age and I took it that he meant they were going away from where he previously was and he knew that they were leaving(bye bye) on a plane, thus "bye bye plane". The poor attendant obviously should be on Prozac or something like that is what I think may ease her fear with babies on board in the future if they will have people of her nature as flight attendants.

Reality
Reality 07/13/07 - 06:58 am
I will wait before I pass

I will wait before I pass judgement, I believe there is more to the story. An airline pilot would not turn the plane around because of a baby talking.....

JimCox
JimCox 07/13/07 - 07:09 am
My wife and I flew with both

My wife and I flew with both my kids when they were the same age as this woman's child, and to avoid problems like she had, my wife took lots of things to keep and/or divert their attention. Sounds like this mom did not plan her trip very well. It also sounds like the flight attendent was having a bad day. You don't have to medicate kids, you just have to know them well enough to know how to keep them busy.

keepinitreal
keepinitreal 07/13/07 - 07:36 am
News flash. As I'm making

News flash. As I'm making this post the show is airing right now, live on Good Morning America with the mom's story with witness and all.

luckie
luckie 07/13/07 - 08:04 am
I believe there is more to

I believe there is more to the story and what parent would take her child on a flight without the necessities to keep a child entertained. That would be disruptive to others that have paid for the flight with intentions for rest and relaxation. This is more between two women and the baby is the victim.

greenhulk1980
greenhulk1980 07/13/07 - 08:15 am
And this is why you don't

And this is why you don't take small children on a plane, I think the child should serve jail time

Edward1968
Edward1968 07/13/07 - 08:16 am
If there had been a report of

If there had been a report of a threat why wasn't law enforcement called in?

johnsmith
johnsmith 07/13/07 - 08:17 am
You know what? Small

You know what? Small children talk, they say things like "bye-bye", and they repeat the same words/phrases ad nauseum. This is the result of telling flight crews that they are God as long as they are on the plane. Petty dicatators arise in all sorts of situations...

change display name
change display name 07/13/07 - 08:48 am
Atlanta to Houston is a 2

Atlanta to Houston is a 2 hour flight. No diapers, no juice, no milk. What kind of mom are we dealing with? Was the baby talking or talking loudly during the safety speech? I have "drugged" my child during flights before for her comfort as well as everyone else's. No stuffy nose or popping ears.

kudzunroses
kudzunroses 07/13/07 - 09:24 am
LOL...change display

LOL...change display name.....I always made sure my children were "relaxed" and sleepy for all flights (with Dr.s permission) It is a courtsy to everyone else on the plane if the child is a bad traveler.........but we will hear from those who think their kids S--t don't stink and allows the little darlins to scream and babble incessantly in a small space. We know you love your kid....but we don't have to.

jaschild
jaschild 07/13/07 - 09:26 am
this story does seem to have

this story does seem to have something missing. as far as witnesses are concerned, i'd like to know more about what was witnessed by other passengers, not just the word of one or two witnesses. is there any possibility that a passenger complaint prompted the flight attendant to speak to the woman?

keepinitreal
keepinitreal 07/13/07 - 09:46 am
Hey yall as I watched the

Hey yall as I watched the show on Good Morning America, the mother statements made by the media was close to what she said on the show. The topic of the controversy is what the child was saying and not about how the child was behaving or if the child had a behavior issue. But in watching the show he was acting a little uneasy and had to be taken off camera. Maybe he was reacting today to having to excessive exsposure since this issue started and being the center of attention I'm sure he's tired and if by chance he does have some type of problem with control then the mother to me should have dealt with it before the trip or had the neccessary means to control his problem being it was that. I kinda thought about her saying she had nothing at all for the needs to provide comfort for him, but I think she was not expecting to have to get off the plane like that either and she maybe used what she had in knowing they be at their destination shortly without actual need of the diapers, and juice and whatever she should have had. But the focus is supposedly what the child was saying was bye bye to another air plane as they were taxing off the runway and his repeating it. Weird.

noctur55
noctur55 07/13/07 - 10:08 am
I am flying continental from

I am flying continental from Atlanta to Houston next week, with my 3 year old son. Anybody that asks me to medicate my child can exit the plane in flight. Giving your child benadryl for this purpose is dangerous and unnecessary.

NEone
NEone 07/13/07 - 10:58 am
Check out the interview with

Check out the interview with Diane Sawyer and the lady at WSBTV.com She doesn't know how to parent.

LBenedict
LBenedict 07/13/07 - 11:00 am
Amen noctur...keep us posted

Amen noctur...keep us posted and have a safe flight.

keepinitreal
keepinitreal 07/13/07 - 11:00 am
noctur55 you have caused me

noctur55 you have caused me to fall of the chair here with laughter behind your comment about exiting the plane IN flight!!!! Oh my goodness. But seriously, my 1st and only flight so far was from Jackson, FL to San Antonio TX and I had the Fear of Flying issue myself in which I sat on a wing seat(not a good thing for 1st timers I think), and then when those wheels were released, ooooh we is all I can say. Clearly not the case here but since we are all talking about our own personal experiences, thought I'd throw that in. However with the assistance on the return flight home, I did not encounter that problem thanks to the experience of already having flown and a little sedation from a Valium and a very very mild beverage, I wanted to almost open my window(lol) that's right almost, to hang out and get some really good photos of the clouds and earth under us which is fascinating from 35000 ft in the air. I'm not advising that everyone follow my method but, whatever works if needed.

BarstoolDreamer
BarstoolDreamer 07/13/07 - 11:18 am
On a recent flight to Florida

On a recent flight to Florida I had 2 kids sitting in front of me. Before we even took off they were "playing" a game with dice in a cliking dome in the middle of the board. I put playing in quotes because they were just pushing the clicker nonstop. I asked the parent if they could make them stop, at least until the engine noise could drown out the clicking sound. You would have thought I beat their kid up from the response I recieved. I have kids myself and believe me.... your kids are not nearly as adorable as you think they are.

Angels-4-ever
Angels-4-ever 07/13/07 - 11:26 am
I swear what is this world

I swear what is this world coming to. If you are that pariond by a lil kid saying bye to something he or she might ador then you don't need to be working in the airline business. It's because of people like that flight attendant that causes us so many issues when it comes to traveling. And I agree with everyone who says she needs to be fired. Fired and never be able to work in another airline ever again. Because if it was me on that plane and she did that to me I would have done a lil more than just sit there and take it. She would have felt threatened when I would have given the pilot a reason to turn the plane around. I mean come on, who in this world is going to be threaten by a lil boy who doesn't know right from wrong, especially a baby! Now if Ms. Penland took this to court the airline would be having to fork out a lot of money to her. But as we all know......that's not how it's going to work. They will give her a free flight to any where in the USA just so that they don't have to fork out thousand or maybe even millions of dollars to her. But if there was a protest over this whole issue......I'm in!

hotrodluvr
hotrodluvr 07/13/07 - 11:41 am
Perhaps it is the stewardess

Perhaps it is the stewardess that needs to be medicated.

peppernik
peppernik 07/13/07 - 12:10 pm
I guess the baby shouldn't

I guess the baby shouldn't have pointed the pacifier at the flight attendant that way :)

change display name
change display name 07/13/07 - 12:20 pm
People like Angels-4-ever are

People like Angels-4-ever are the ones keeping the money hungry low-life lawyers in business. The anser to everything is not suing. Keep your brat quiet or drive.

berryoakley
berryoakley 07/13/07 - 12:58 pm
Whatever happened to "Chidren

Whatever happened to "Chidren should be seen and not heard"? If you are going to let your rug rat act like an animal put them in a pet carrier and in the cargo hole, I don't want them in the seat next to me, behind me, or in front of me-or within shouting distance. If I pay good money for a plane seat at least it should be calm and quiet.

Drama Mamma
Drama Mamma 07/13/07 - 03:10 pm
I would not medicate my child

I would not medicate my child for no one thats crazy I hope that flight attendant gets fired for what she did...

dallas tx.
dallas tx. 07/13/07 - 03:40 pm
i"m gland they turn the

i"m gland they turn the plane around people need to keep there bad kids quiet in a plane ride! or put them to sleep before hand!!!!!

CantTrustaDumbocrat
CantTrustaDumbocrat 07/13/07 - 05:36 pm
Did anyone see the brat on

Did anyone see the brat on the news? I saw clips where he was crawling
all over the table, crying and just being a real pain. He had to be
taken off stage. Anyone who flies any amount has been subjected to kids
like this. As a flier, I am glad to see that the airlines are starting
to be concerned for other passengers and doing something about such
behavior.
That being said, I really do not blame the child. It is the fault of
the non-parent that was with him. First she needs to learn to control
her child, but what idiot takes a trip without toys, juice, diapers
etc? Sounds to me like she does not have the brains to be a parent. My
children have NEVER been asked to leave anywhere, they knew what would
happen to them if they misbehaved.

t of i
t of i 07/13/07 - 05:57 pm
Why is this story even on the

Why is this story even on the news? I bet she gives him baby benadryl if he sneezes too much.

Jillian
Jillian 07/13/07 - 06:57 pm
That kid could not sit down

That kid could not sit down while the mom was interviewed this morning either. Teach your kid to sit down and shut up when adults are giving instructions that could save your life or find another means of transportation.

Georgia state workers, teachers pay more for health care

ATLANTA - Teachers and state employees in Georgia are paying more for their health care than other public sector employees, according to a new study by the state Depart­ment of Community Health.