Shooting suspect is sought

A fatal shooting Monday morning at a south Augusta nightclub was the result of an ongoing dispute between the victim and a man who police now say is his killer.

Back | Next
Darion Antonio McNair  Special
Special
Darion Antonio McNair

Richmond County investigators are seeking 18-year-old Darion Antonio McNair, who is charged with murder and possession of a firearm in the shooting death of Stedmund Fryer, also 18, according to a news release from the Richmond County Sheriff's Office.

Officials at the sheriff's office said 150 to 200 people were on the dance floor at Club Super C's Lounge on Tobacco Road at 2:20 a.m. when Mr. Fryer was shot.

The two men were involved in an altercation just before the shooting, according to the release.

In the hours after the Mr. Fryer's slaying, shots were fired at an apartment belonging to Mr. McNair's sister in what investigators are calling a "cycle of violence.". An adult relative was in the apartment in the 800 block of Spruce Street at the time, but neither the sister nor her three children were there.

23-year-old Jordash Tanksley, is wanted for questioning in the case and is known to associate with Mr. McNair. No charges have been filed against him.

Both Mr. McNair and Mr. Tanksley have a long list of felony charges against them.

Mr. Tanksley served a two-year prison sentence in 2004 in connection with a felony theft conviction. He also has outstanding felony aggravated assault and weapons charges, the release said.

Mr. McNair was indicted in October on 19 counts, including aggravated assault, possession of a firearm during the commission of a crime and criminal damage to property in the first and second degree in connection with a July 2006 drive-by shooting at a Bahama Drive apartment complex. At the time, police said it was related to the gangs Sunset and O-Dub.

Police said Monday's incident does not appear to be gang-related and sheriff's Sgt. Richard Roundtree would not comment on any current affiliation between the suspects and gangs, instead referring to the department news release.

Both men should be considered "armed and extremely dangerous," the release said. Anyone with information on either of them can call the sheriff's office at (706) 821-1080.

Reach Adam Folk at (706) 823-3339 or adam.folk@augustachronicle.com.

kokousa
kokousa 07/12/07 - 03:46 pm
blackisraelite it's call

blackisraelite it's call cleaning up your own back yard, until Black People clean up their act when it comes to their families they are doomed. I would suggest you check the US census to confirm figures on the Black population % and you can check the Uniform Crime Report at http://www.fbi.gov/ucr/ucr.htm to get your statistics on who is in jail and committing the vast majority of crime against their own Race. I applaud the fact that your father was there for you but the fact still remains that approximately 8 out of 10 Black house holds don't have a father figure in it, and if they do it's usually the mother's boy friend who really don't care about raising someone else's child. Go to Black America web.com to check the numbers out. So yes I will stick by my claim that the Black Man is absent in assisting with raising their children. Let's face it Black Women are a major part of this problem becuase they are the one's who want let these young boy's grow up. Again put up a smoke screen to cover the tracks of these young Black Thug's as I have said before the cycle continues.

kokousa
kokousa 07/12/07 - 03:47 pm
sorry koko don"t date men!

sorry koko don"t date men!

kokousa
kokousa 07/12/07 - 03:49 pm
But' I will tell it like it

But' I will tell it like it is when it comes to MEN not standing up and taking responsibility for their actions.

freeman01
freeman01 07/12/07 - 03:49 pm
Yes, we do need to fix our

Yes, we do need to fix our family structure as black people. This is the root cause for the majority of our issues in the community.

jaschild
jaschild 07/12/07 - 03:58 pm
uh - is it too late to agree

uh - is it too late to agree with coco about the need for better music/arts programs in public schools? i realize we have dived into the race debate full-force, but why not focus on the good that is done when kids are involved in programs that celebrate their cultures thru public ed?

kokousa
kokousa 07/12/07 - 04:22 pm
jaschild, There are plenty of

jaschild, There are plenty of programs out there in the community now, the problem is getting these dead beat parents involved. You can't fix something if the people who are the primary care giver aren't involved. That's like telling a person who is on drugs that you want them to quit, it doesn't work if they are involved in the process of getting well. The parents who have did the poor job of raising these thug's need to have some consequences levy against them for failing to do their job. Now I know not all of the people committing crimes are coming from fragmented homes some are raise by good parents and still end up making poor choices, but it is their choice and they should not be let of the hook either. So I'm not against programs for children, I'm against creating a program and having No Parent participation.

Signal Always
Signal Always 07/12/07 - 04:28 pm
Some of you people need to

Some of you people need to break out your dictionary and look up "racism". Most of you have a completely ignorant understanding of the word. As for socio-economic factors, someone want to explain to me how socio-economic factors made a black kid shoot another black kid at a club? This is the problem, you're too busy looking for excuses and neglecting rectifications.

nicole23
nicole23 07/12/07 - 04:40 pm
We all need to pray because

We all need to pray because when kids starts killing each other the world is about to make a BIG change IT SO MUCH EVIL IN THIS WORLD TODAY BLACK OR WHITE

white lady
white lady 07/12/07 - 06:23 pm
koukousa you continue to lock

koukousa you continue to lock black men into a box. You say if they have a black father figure its usually the boyfriend who doesnt care about the child. How do you know all this, do you know that alot of black woman have husband not boyfriends. I hope you also know ppl do marry their boyfriends if they had a child before marriage. You still have a problem with how you continue to make assumptions about every black male. Just because black ppl you continue to say deadbeat parents. Parents can only do so much, buy the time a child is 18 or 15 or 16 for a male what can parents do. Alot of teenagers rebel, that is nothing new what does everybody have to be dead beat parent. Koukousa i just hope the next time a kid from columbia county does a crime i doubt they will it on the news though. But i hope you have the same outrage & complaints about white men. I wonder if you would call this white male a thug

worriedboutdafuture
worriedboutdafuture 07/12/07 - 06:51 pm
Worried about our future and

Worried about our future and Worried about da future may sound similiar BUT we ain't the same. I value the others opinion very much and I state my own as well. Let me Clarify, ain't nothing wrong with having those vices in life! the bling, the rims and the fake stunna shades. You just have to have your priorties straight I.E. is my family being fed, am i paying my rent, mortgage, bills on time or at all, am i taking care of my kids!! White people do have these vices but do you often hear of UNCLE CHARLIE puttin ice grillz in his mouth and not even botherin ta pay his child support because he's already got his eyes on knockin up some unsuspecting young beautiful black woman and ruining her future! I don't think so. So if you feel that i have stereotyped the black male look no further than the media that we have pimped ourselves and our families out too! Black on Black Crime is a form of self hatred or Post Dramatic Slavery Disorder and many of those thugs who murder each other suffer from it! Men and Women raise their children! Thugs destroy Communities! women leave those(jobless, irresponsible,broke, non child-support paying) thugs alone! Or you too will live a life of hell!!!!

GET REAL1
GET REAL1 07/12/07 - 07:19 pm
how we forget so fast

how we forget so fast kokousa, cockofusa
u did assume that i was black. in response to my comment, u wrote"get real, as usual people (black) will always try and change the focus of where the real crime is occurring in augusta." i will no longer devote energy on a prehistoric man like yourself. u will never understand any views but your own and i have schoolwork.

shawtyred
shawtyred 07/13/07 - 02:31 am
This is shawty red's sister's

This is shawty red's sister's comment:Forget that someone died. Let's get on the women that have kids out of wedlock and mothers letting their kids walk around in their underwear in front of men. We went from a young man losing his life to women having kids out of wedlock to child molestation. No wonder nothing can get finish in Augusta. Let's go back to focusing on the real issue at hand.

TakeAstand
TakeAstand 07/13/07 - 12:32 pm
Like I said I don't know how

Like I said I don't know how innocent the victim was..... but in the hours afterwards someone shot up the accused's sisters house with her children inside. To have friends that would do that for you.. to me says all these kids were involved in gang type activity. I will always feel bad for the good family members that suffer when thugs kill each other off... but I would rather them kill each other off than to take innocent lives like the babies that could have been inside that house "his boys" did the retaliation on!!! I hope they catch them and put them under the jail too!!

blackambiance79
blackambiance79 07/14/07 - 06:17 am
I hate statistics.... though

I hate statistics.... though they may give a general gauge of certain percentages, they never tell an accurate story... some things aren't reported.... even moreso those who boast the biggest opinions about situations have never set foot in those areas.... and we know what type of news that is reported mainly.... negative .... There were alot of good things going at the high school I attended but did that get any news? but as soon as something bad happened it was on the 6 o'clock news.... and sometimes we wonder why some of these kids feel they are constantly on an uphill battle and on the losing end.... If we as positve adults don't believe in them, who will? If we don't motivate them, who will? We know for sure our children are being influenced everyday, either negatively or positively.... the question is what part have we played and are playing in the influencing.... not being there is just as bad....

diamondeyeseyes4me222
diamondeyeseyes4me222 07/14/07 - 10:36 am
Teen violence in augusta is

Teen violence in augusta is increasing tremendously taking over like a plaque of war it's destination unknown but it's affecting many homes. To the parents Shelia fryer(stedmond fryer), Sharon murdaugh(samara jones), Diane murphy(nicolas carpenter) and other families that have been devastated by tragedy my heart and prayers are extented to you and your love ones. Teen violence affects the community as a whole even if you don't know the families involved personally you always learn something about the victim through various reports and something about them always touch your heart and enlighten you. To their families they leave a legacy to their friends a memory that will never be forgotten. For some reason some teens feel that it's a need to kill someone instead of walking away what do this solve? nothing. It's easy to sit back and complain rather than get involved this is the community as a whole problem even if you don't know these families personally it touch you in some kind of way. something needs to be done more programs that's affordable need to be implemented in the community so kids can have a place to go after school and on weekends a place they feel safe at.

diamondeyeseyes4me222
diamondeyeseyes4me222 07/14/07 - 10:43 am
As much as people want to

As much as people want to walk away from the truth gangs are taking over in augusta. All crimes are not gang related others were senless crimes but there isn't a difference because one life lost is one to many. This is a different world we are living in today and more restraint is needed. people have choices in life and you are responsible for the choices made. I will attend the summit for teen violence in august .