Shooting suspect is sought

A fatal shooting Monday morning at a south Augusta nightclub was the result of an ongoing dispute between the victim and a man who police now say is his killer.

Back | Next
Darion Antonio McNair  Special
Special
Darion Antonio McNair

Richmond County investigators are seeking 18-year-old Darion Antonio McNair, who is charged with murder and possession of a firearm in the shooting death of Stedmund Fryer, also 18, according to a news release from the Richmond County Sheriff's Office.

Officials at the sheriff's office said 150 to 200 people were on the dance floor at Club Super C's Lounge on Tobacco Road at 2:20 a.m. when Mr. Fryer was shot.

The two men were involved in an altercation just before the shooting, according to the release.

In the hours after the Mr. Fryer's slaying, shots were fired at an apartment belonging to Mr. McNair's sister in what investigators are calling a "cycle of violence.". An adult relative was in the apartment in the 800 block of Spruce Street at the time, but neither the sister nor her three children were there.

23-year-old Jordash Tanksley, is wanted for questioning in the case and is known to associate with Mr. McNair. No charges have been filed against him.

Both Mr. McNair and Mr. Tanksley have a long list of felony charges against them.

Mr. Tanksley served a two-year prison sentence in 2004 in connection with a felony theft conviction. He also has outstanding felony aggravated assault and weapons charges, the release said.

Mr. McNair was indicted in October on 19 counts, including aggravated assault, possession of a firearm during the commission of a crime and criminal damage to property in the first and second degree in connection with a July 2006 drive-by shooting at a Bahama Drive apartment complex. At the time, police said it was related to the gangs Sunset and O-Dub.

Police said Monday's incident does not appear to be gang-related and sheriff's Sgt. Richard Roundtree would not comment on any current affiliation between the suspects and gangs, instead referring to the department news release.

Both men should be considered "armed and extremely dangerous," the release said. Anyone with information on either of them can call the sheriff's office at (706) 821-1080.

Reach Adam Folk at (706) 823-3339 or adam.folk@augustachronicle.com.

WorriedAboutOurFuture
WorriedAboutOurFuture 07/11/07 - 08:53 pm
I went and read a little on

I went and read a little on it, JAKE. I think the most telling thing is how her friends described the change in her over the years of her marriage, how her personality and appearance all kind of faded. That says a lot about the fruit of their relationship. And if you look at the family portrait that often accompanies articles on her, Matthew is the only one who looks genuinely happy. The middle girl looks positively depressed. I think there was a lot going on that never made it past the front door until it exploded.

mystery30815
mystery30815 07/11/07 - 09:57 pm
Now that everyone has wasted

Now that everyone has wasted time arguing over nothing. Anyone have any POSITIVE suggestions to help our youth realize their self worth and stop the violence? Naw... probably not... not enough drama that way.

coco rubio
coco rubio 07/11/07 - 10:20 pm
where are the good after

where are the good after school programs or other type programs that could benefit high school students over the summer? music & art programs have been cut over the years by a republican mindset that these types of programs are gov't pork......we spend millions/billions on an ill conceived war in iraq....but, we don't have funds to open rec centers & swimming pools in the CSRA......and most people on here just want to make it a black/white thing again.....so, until we change our way of thinking and looking at a problem....we might as well be in the stone age.....why not blame it on the rock-n-roll these kids are listening to? oh, you already did.....it's much more complex than blaming it on any one thing....but, i swear if we spent more money on EDUCATION and less on WAR, things would be a little different in our neck of the woods.......holla if ya hear me.

Signal Always 07/11/07 - 10:53 pm
After school programs? You,

After school programs? You, like me, have been out of the game too long and it has not a damn thing to do with Republicans, you dolt. Bush doesn't control the Richmond County School Board, nor does he control Richmond County taxation. Damn, your ignorance never ceases to amaze me, Coco. You think these thugs give a damn about an "after-school" program? The first thing a kid these days cares about is getting OUT of school.

coco rubio
coco rubio 07/11/07 - 10:56 pm
lack of education is not to

lack of education is not to be ignored.......you think this only happens in richmond county?

daninicole
daninicole 07/11/07 - 10:57 pm
Now this person has a very

Now this person has a very long and detailed rap sheet yet he was out on the streets able and willing to kill someone..at a crowded club I might add. The justice system is messed up when someone like this is out on the streets yet a child who had consensual sex with another child is serving a 10 year jail sentence

coco rubio
coco rubio 07/11/07 - 10:58 pm
ps - i'm not a dolt

ps - i'm not a dolt

Signal Always 07/11/07 - 11:18 pm
Money well spent for our

Money well spent for our children? South Fulton county (Atlanta) spends more per student than Columbia country does on theirs. Guess who has better grades? Guess who has a lower crime rate among students? Yeah, let's throw MORE money at a futile situation. This problem will not be solved with more money or more school programs. To think otherwise is ignorant.

Signal Always 07/11/07 - 11:20 pm
No Coco, it doesn't only

No Coco, it doesn't only happen in Richmond County. It happens in Democratically-controlled cities throughout the nation. ...but you go right ahead and blame Conservatives for all the ills in those cities. It only makes you look like what you claimed you aren't. Liberalism has been a bane on our education system since integration, when they had the standards lowered.

Son of God
Son of God 07/11/07 - 11:28 pm
i was at medical college of

i was at medical college of georgia today and learned from an employee there that the victim's mother worked there to help the sick. she probably worked there when my sister died from injuries received in a head-on collision with a logging truck. my prayers go out to the family with lots of real hugs and kisses. we just don't know when our time is near and for the very ignorant comments, my mother is dead and in heaven and she had me out of wedlock. i am a doctor through christ our lord. what if she would not have had me? i thank god for children. i bless children everday and give to the poor. suffer little children to come unto me and forbid them not. it is better to tie a millstone around your neck than to put your mouth on or harm the least of god's little children. blessed are the peacemakers. for they shall obtain mercy. speak love or hold your peace. your day is coming deafr when you need a kind word said to you. read james about "taming"the tongue. what would jesus do? jesus plan to use me to open a school soon so that children can learn of him and live holy. keep your eyes on jesus and you will hear about it. there is always hope, faith, and love. this is an after school.

Signal Always 07/11/07 - 11:37 pm
Oh, it's a futile war? And

Oh, it's a futile war? And you would rather spend the money on the children Jake? Well, let's pull out of Iraq, and when we do it would behoove us to pull out of Okinawa, Korea, Japan, and everywhere else on the globe and start opening up installations on the borders and moving units based inland to installations already there, like Huachuca. Might also behoove us to include a BRM course in our middle-schools. Why? Because this enemy isn't like the North Koreans, the Vietnamese, or the Cubans(Grenada). They WILL be coming here. We also might want to think about stopping ALL immigration. Yeah, sounds like a plan, Stan. Let's do it. There are 1.8 billion Muslims in the world and it's said that about 10% could be radical. YOU do the math. We, as a nation, have never sent NEAR that amount into war. We didn't even have that amount of citizens during WWII. What about the other 90%? Well, you tell me, since it's liberal media that's silencing moderate Muslims that speak out against the radicals, and they only number about 5%. Yeah, great plan Jake. Anymore bright ideas? {sarcasm)

Signal Always 07/11/07 - 11:41 pm
BTW, conservatism isn't to

BTW, conservatism isn't to blame for the state of our value system. It's always been here. In the past, both Democrats AND Republicans were fairly close concerning what was considered decent. I'm an independent and I can see it vividly. While I don't agree with Republicans on many issues, this isn't a Republican problem and it damn sure isn't a conservative problem. This is a liberal problem.

Signal Always 07/11/07 - 11:54 pm
I'm one of these "we got to

I'm one of these "we got to fight them here on Broad Street" types? Just where in the hell did you gather that? I think I made it quite clear that we should fight them there, NOT here. I thought that was apparent, but I guess it takes a little intelligence to deduct what I actually stated. Next time I'll break out the crayons and Blue Horse paper. Just for you, Jake. I know the threat these people pose. It's sad that you, and liberals like you, don't. After our two largest buildings and the Pentagon were attacked, one would think it would be clear. I guess some can't think past last Saturday. Damn good thing you guys weren't around during WWII.

coco rubio
coco rubio 07/12/07 - 12:00 am
liberal -vs-

liberal -vs- conservative....blah, blah, blah.....i'm just posting some possible solutions to this problem.......and i say it's spending our money more wisely......education is the key......and i'll stand by my opinions....thank you very much......

Signal Always 07/12/07 - 12:06 am
Then you refuse to address

Then you refuse to address the real issue because it has not a damn thing to do with how much money is poured into the school system.

Signal Always 07/12/07 - 12:10 am
WWII mentality? I'm in my

WWII mentality? I'm in my mid-30s. I know what I see and what I've researched. Why don't you tell me why conservative school districts excel at a faster pace than liberal districts without utilizing near the amount of resources per-capita. You can't do it because it would be an admittance of a liberal failure in our educational system.

Signal Always 07/12/07 - 12:11 am
BTW, from reading your posts,

BTW, from reading your posts, Jake, I don't think you're in any position to call anyone's comments "unintelligent".

coco rubio
coco rubio 07/12/07 - 12:14 am
(i bet if you paid better

(i bet if you paid better salaries you'd have better teachers)(we are cutting programs throughout school systems when we should be increasing them)(all this costs money)(as the richest and most powerful country in the world we should put a little more investment in our future)(just my opinion)

Signal Always 07/12/07 - 12:22 am
Coco, what's with the

Coco, what's with the parenthesis? If it's all about pay, then why do private schools generally do better? Their teachers don't get near the benefits or pay that public school teachers get. What's your answer on that? Sorry, anything you throw at me I can counter.

Signal Always 07/12/07 - 12:24 am
BTW, "we" are cutting

BTW, "we" are cutting programs? Last I checked there is a RICHMOND COUNTY SCHOOL BOARD. There is also a RICHMOND COUNTY SYSTEM OF TAXATION. You liberals can't blame Bush for everything.

Signal Always 07/12/07 - 12:26 am
You also didn't address my

You also didn't address my question as to why conservative districts are performing so much better. You liberals just can't bring yourself to admit the problem, can you?

coco rubio
coco rubio 07/12/07 - 12:33 am
uh, because mommy & daddy are

uh, because mommy & daddy are paying tuition might be the reason they might be a little more involved in their kids' education? and i'm not blaming bush for why this kid got shot & killed in south augusta.....my point was to answer the question about what we can do? and i'll state again that school/educational programs could help.....especially if you are admitting there is a problem, right? what are your solutions again? i'm sorry if i missed that......but, you know what? there will always be teenagers who are going to do stupid things.....some will get away with it.....some won't......& some will even die......and that's what sucks here.......counter that.....gracias!

Signal Always 07/12/07 - 12:38 am
Mommy and Daddy aren't paying

Mommy and Daddy aren't paying tuition for their Greenbriar and Lakeside students, nor are they for their Davison or AR Johnson kids. ...but thanks for the introduction of class warfare. Those evil rich people. Wait, aren't you fairly well-off? You hispanic devil you. You should contribute 60% of your earnings to the "less fortunate". Anymore brain busters? As for my solution, get rid of the liberal mindset.

coco rubio
coco rubio 07/12/07 - 12:46 am
i consider myself more

i consider myself more independent.....so, the "liberal" word doesn't really scare me....i'm a big fan of the richmond county magnet schools....it's amazing what involved parents can do for their kids.....but, even with that you have some teenagers acting like, er, uh dumb kids sometimes....remember the drunk prom party at augusta prep? remember the horrible murder of the lakeside student in the early 90's? parents & schools can only do so much......but, i still think we can do better to provide our children with more positive options and things to do than we are providing for them right now........(in my humble opinion)

coco rubio
coco rubio 07/12/07 - 12:55 am
true = i'm

true = i'm hispanic......false = i'm a devil......true = i'm fairly well educated

Signal Always 07/12/07 - 01:02 am
Drunk prom party? Some of my

Drunk prom party? Some of my best partying days were done on Sr. skip days. However, we DID take our education serious and the ones that were out of days didn't show because they went to school. Why don't you be honest and tell us about the participants of that party? Did they graduate? Are they heading to college? How about THEIR grades? 'Cause I'll take a teenager that gets drunk at a party over a gang-banging thug any day of the week. As for the 3 kids that killed Melanie Ritchie in the '90's, are you serious? Richmond county schools are inundated with violent crime and you counter it with something that happened in the '90's? Do you realize how dumb that sounds? I'm independent as well, and you seem to be VERY socially liberal. Hell, I'm pretty Libertarian, but your form of social liberalism is 50 times farther to the left than mine. This problem is something that was caused by liberals years ago, and now you guys want to blame Republicans? Yeah, blame whitey, take the father out of the home, offer welfare as a replacement, and see where you get. Oh wait, you can see that in any inner-city now, can't you?

Signal Always 07/12/07 - 01:05 am
The black family unit was one

The black family unit was one of the strongest in the nation until the liberals got a hold of our social system, but it's cool. Just ask Al Sharpton. As long as he's "ridin' that dunkey" it's all good. ....well, unless you're not Al Sharpton. MLK, Jr. was the last major black leader that gave a damn about the black race. The others don't care about their ills, they only want to blame whitey.........and get paid. Look at the "current" NAACP. What have they accomplished since Dr. King died? Seems to me the black race, as a whole, has regressed. Nice, liberals, nice. (sarcasm)

coco rubio
coco rubio 07/12/07 - 01:24 am
blah..blah...blah.....i'm not

blah..blah...blah.....i'm not getting into a liberal -vs- conservative debate with you.....richmond county -vs- columbia county....nope......white -vs- black.....no gracias.......did you just bring up al sharpton? lol....dang that's funny......please tell me more about my political makeup.....and tell me why you even brought up the NAACP to this debate? wow.....you might want to step away from the computer for a minute.......

Signal Always 07/12/07 - 01:33 am
Step away from the computer?

Step away from the computer? The topic is about crime committed by youth in Richmond County and I'm the ONLY one, between the two of us, that seems to be honest about the situation. Everything I stated has every damn THING to do with the situation. Your solution is to throw money at the problem. Coco, no, you don't want to address the real issue because it proves you, and liberals like you, dead wrong. I have countered everything you have stated and you couldn't debate it. You just made excuses.

coco rubio
coco rubio 07/12/07 - 01:40 am
me = thinks more money should

me = thinks more money should be spent on arts/music programs in school............................you = thinks i'm a stupid liberal who is making excuses for why kids die in nightclubs.......................what was the "real" issue again?