Shooting suspect is sought

A fatal shooting Monday morning at a south Augusta nightclub was the result of an ongoing dispute between the victim and a man who police now say is his killer.

Back | Next
Darion Antonio McNair  Special
Special
Darion Antonio McNair

Richmond County investigators are seeking 18-year-old Darion Antonio McNair, who is charged with murder and possession of a firearm in the shooting death of Stedmund Fryer, also 18, according to a news release from the Richmond County Sheriff's Office.

Officials at the sheriff's office said 150 to 200 people were on the dance floor at Club Super C's Lounge on Tobacco Road at 2:20 a.m. when Mr. Fryer was shot.

The two men were involved in an altercation just before the shooting, according to the release.

In the hours after the Mr. Fryer's slaying, shots were fired at an apartment belonging to Mr. McNair's sister in what investigators are calling a "cycle of violence.". An adult relative was in the apartment in the 800 block of Spruce Street at the time, but neither the sister nor her three children were there.

23-year-old Jordash Tanksley, is wanted for questioning in the case and is known to associate with Mr. McNair. No charges have been filed against him.

Both Mr. McNair and Mr. Tanksley have a long list of felony charges against them.

Mr. Tanksley served a two-year prison sentence in 2004 in connection with a felony theft conviction. He also has outstanding felony aggravated assault and weapons charges, the release said.

Mr. McNair was indicted in October on 19 counts, including aggravated assault, possession of a firearm during the commission of a crime and criminal damage to property in the first and second degree in connection with a July 2006 drive-by shooting at a Bahama Drive apartment complex. At the time, police said it was related to the gangs Sunset and O-Dub.

Police said Monday's incident does not appear to be gang-related and sheriff's Sgt. Richard Roundtree would not comment on any current affiliation between the suspects and gangs, instead referring to the department news release.

Both men should be considered "armed and extremely dangerous," the release said. Anyone with information on either of them can call the sheriff's office at (706) 821-1080.

Reach Adam Folk at (706) 823-3339 or adam.folk@augustachronicle.com.

bone
bone 07/11/07 - 11:49 am
kingjames, i have to

kingjames, i have to disagree: society is not hurt one bit when one thug kills another. i do not know the victim in this case so i cannot speculate on his gang affiliation - but judging from his presence at an adult establishment as well as his mug shot, he probably wasn't an innocent li'l lamb.

TakeAstand
TakeAstand 07/11/07 - 11:54 am
Why was this thug out on the

Why was this thug out on the street?? He already did a drive by endangering the lives of innocent children with no reguard...and he was left free ..this time to kill. We need harsher penalties people!!! And public humilitation!!! Make Them stand on a busy street corner with signs saying "I shot and killed someone because I am a punk, not a man". or something similar to fit whatever crime they commited. Of course only after working their tails off all day like a to help clean up this city picking up trash..digging ditches, what ever. Make them walk the crime ridden streets where "their boys" hang out at and let them and all the children see thy are being made fools of with the signs and what wll happen if they don't straighten up!!!! lol

RichmondCountyResident1
RichmondCountyResident1 07/11/07 - 11:57 am
Latwon I want waste much time

Latwon I want waste much time commenting on you because you make many outrageous, foolhardly comments.For once I would like to read something from you that don't involve name calling, sarcasm or stereotypes.Calling those women ho's shows more of your ignorance than anything I can say.

KingJames
KingJames 07/11/07 - 12:11 pm
Bone, you obviously haven't

Bone, you obviously haven't heard of people changing their ways and walking the straight and narrow. What you are suggesting is that no one can ever get out of the thug and gang way of life, and actually contibute to the betterment of society. That is wrong! I never said anyone in this case was an innocent little lamb. What I did say was that society has missed out on the potential that we all, including Fryer and the two wanted for questioning in his murder, possess. Many kids haven't had anyone try to tap into their potential. That is what hurts society. Their abilities and possibilities are lost and can't be restored. As for Fryer's attendance at the club, well it was open to kids from 18 and up that night. There was nothing wrong with him being at the club. The true problem with the club was the security and the fact that it probably should have closed at midnight. But, since it was open at 2:20 a.m., the kids were there.

coco rubio
coco rubio 07/11/07 - 12:54 pm
18 and up is NOT legal

18 and up is NOT legal admission for a nightclub in richmond county.....most people do not simply understand this and i think the nightclub owner might be responsible for allowing this to occur.....again, i repeat, no bar/nightclub in augusta can legally allow 18 year olds into an establishment (restaurants are the exception).....i wonder how many teenagers were inside when this terrible incident happened?

WorriedAboutOurFuture
WorriedAboutOurFuture 07/11/07 - 12:57 pm
Great idea, TAKEASTAND. I've

Great idea, TAKEASTAND. I've often commented here that public stocks would be a real life-changing experience for these arrogant losers. An added bonus would be that we all could go down and throw rotten fruit at them for disturbing our community before they were publically executed. It's an idea whose time has returned! Now where did I put Johnny Isakson's number...

KingJames
KingJames 07/11/07 - 01:02 pm
There have been

There have been establishments for teenagers to enjoy themselves in Richmond county for years. The difference here is that this club was serving a mixed crowd (18-20 and 21 and up). The owner should have never allowed the crowds to mix and should have closed at an appropriate hour. He does bear some responsibility.

c_rod
c_rod 07/11/07 - 01:39 pm
Wow, As I read these

Wow, As I read these comments, some being excuses I am shocked and embarassed. I was born and raised in Augusta but because ofthe military, I only visit home once or twice a year. Honestly I am afraid to go home. Everyday I log on, there's something new about black on black crime. Everyone has complaints but no solution or suggestion. I agree with alot of comments that it starts in the household. I am sure that there are some hardworking parents out there and their children just make the wrong choices in the absence of an adult. We can blame this on everything from poverty, children born out of wedlock and deadbeat parents. Please let's work together to change things for the better. God Bless

intheknow
intheknow 07/11/07 - 01:39 pm
First of all, I do not

First of all, I do not believe La Twon is a black person, having said that, I wonder why no one said a word about single parents when that young lady over in North Augusta killed her Mother? Why is it that only when a suspect is Black, does the issue of single Mothers or Black on Black crime comes up. Then there is always one person that wants to play the percentage game. So, lets look at it. If 10% of 100 blacks copmmits a crime, that is 10 people, but if 10% of 1000 whites commits a crime, that is 100 people. The LA TWON's of the world, do not care about Blacks, whether they are teens or adults. They just look at ways to bring race in the picture. They offer no solution other than to prevent people from having more than two children. SOUNDS LIKE CHINA TO ME.

juicy101
juicy101 07/11/07 - 01:40 pm
question? where are all

question? where are all these children getting the guns? the parents have to know that these children have guns. i know that they are not going in stores buying them. someone has to supply them to these cowards. when i was a teenager, we went out to clubs, drank, and did all of the things that teenagers today are doing. we got into fights, but there were no guns and knives drawn; if you got beat up then you just got beat up. within the next two to three days we were all friends again and families were not burying their teenage sons and daughter. the kids today are cowards. they are not thugs, gangster, or badd like the want to be recognized as, they are just cowards. it takes a coward to take the life of another person in cold blood for any reason. instead of placing them in youth detention centers or even in an adult jail cell, since they want to fight like men send them to iraq and bring my family back home. there they will get to fight and kill all they want to, oh but as i stated before these cowards would not want to go and kill for a cause, they would rather stay here and kill each other off. this is what society wants to get two black youths off of the street.

TakeAstand
TakeAstand 07/11/07 - 01:40 pm
hahahaha WAOF!!!! Toooo

hahahaha WAOF!!!! Toooo funny

WorriedAboutOurFuture
WorriedAboutOurFuture 07/11/07 - 01:55 pm
Right, JUICY, send the to

Right, JUICY, send the to Iraq where they will do like other garbage just like them who murder a whole Iraqi family so they can rape then murder their 14-year-old daughter. At least doing that in the military will get them the dealth penalty.

unknown1
unknown1 07/11/07 - 01:57 pm
I agree KingJames. As I

I agree KingJames. As I stated before, I was there that night. The genre of music was "old-school" until around 9 p.m. The music changed as the younger crowd started to arrive. That's when I left. Normally Wednesdays and Sundays cater to that particular crowd. The rest of the week when you see young people in there , they are only in there to either order or pick up food. There should have never been the mixing of crowds but there were way too many people in there that night. Normally by midnight, sometimes it is very hard to even travel down Tobacco Road because of the traffic at the club. When you have the mixing of crowds, the maturity factor has a wide gap. Granted there are also people older that 25 that be in there on those two nights but we need to understand one fact. You can have a mature 18 year old and a chlildish 21 year old. The age is a problem but the biggest problem is character and integrity. Alot of people are saying that Mr. Fryer had a beef with the other gentleman and it could have happened anywhere. Well, it didnt happen anywhere it just happened to be at a crowded club that should have shut down by midnight with the young clientele. As stated, some of the

unknown1
unknown1 07/11/07 - 02:01 pm
resposibility does belong to

resposibility does belong to the owner. Let's make a difference in our communities and take control of our teens. It may sound hard but tough love will always prevail. There is nothing ventured and nothing gained by violence. Two families are destroyed forever and more will follow if we dont recognize the problem. Before we can try to fix a problem we must first acknowledge that there is a problem without pointing fingers.

iakovos
iakovos 07/11/07 - 02:10 pm
To God Be the Glory and may

To God Be the Glory and may He forgive us.

We shouldn't be too concern about what people say about South Augusta. We should be about what we think of each other, our family and friends is what makes us people they define us and give value. So I think we must look at ourselves and decide the values we want for family, freinds and the atlarge community. Remember you must place value on yourself and community not outsiders that do not respect us anyway. They will not pay your bills or care if you live or die so we must . Respect self and others have no choice but to respect you back.

september 5th
september 5th 07/11/07 - 02:34 pm
question: how would

question: how would comissioner andy cheeks feel if the bar that he got drunk at ( when he got his DUI) closed up? mmmm

Signal Always
Signal Always 07/11/07 - 02:38 pm
Intheknow, you don't. When

Intheknow, you don't. When you break it down by percentages, black people commit more violent crimes than the white race. This is proven by statistical fact. However, I probably shouldn't confuse you with facts, you being a liberal and all. Also, for you to say LaTwon isn't black because she can form a coherent sentence and is actually angered by the situation occurring in her own community is bigoted as hell. What next, gonna call her an Aunt Jemima? Uncle Tom? Sell out? If so, just what is the lock-step model all black people should follow? That is essentially what you're saying. That all black people are sheep and must act and speak one way. To deviate means you lose your "blackness". God, you liberals are a pathetic bunch.

3572 07/11/07 - 02:47 pm
signal always if i didnt

signal always if i didnt want my children i would have not gotten them i would have did what i needed to do not to them so what. I had them and i take good care of them not the government they are not in the system and so why do you care about it anyway.I mean if i cant do for them its not like you are going to come and say well here is some food or here is money to pay that light bill. You are not suppose to because thats my job. I am just saying that alot of times kids do what they are not suppose to do but its not always single black women there are kids that have a mother and a father in the home and they still do stuff . So the comment about single black women should have never been made from the get go because every child locked up didnt come from a single black parent. Dont go there PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!

intheknow
intheknow 07/11/07 - 02:53 pm
Like I said before, you can

Like I said before, you can play the percentage game all you will, 100 is larger than 10. You know Signal, you can play your racist games all you wish. I do not use words like Uncle Tom or anything else. Your thinnly veiled attempt at sneaking in words like Aunt Jemima, shows exactly what is in your heart. As does the other posts you have made. First of all, you do not know if I am black or white. And just because you are full of yourself, and I do not need a racist like yourself, to tell me how I should act, or speak. Save it for your next meeting.

intheknow
intheknow 07/11/07 - 03:00 pm
SIGNAL, you are a hopeless

SIGNAL, you are a hopeless case. I will not waste energy on your kind. Everyone other than those of your ILK, see you for who you are. When the light starts shinning on you, just the ROACH you are, you will run for cover. Have fun, I have to go serve and protect. Even racists like you.

bone
bone 07/11/07 - 03:01 pm
okay, 3572, since you brought

okay, 3572, since you brought it up & there are apparently people with personal knowledge of all the principles in this tragedy, let's throw this question out: of the three gentlemen involved (fryer, mcnair, and tanksley) how many were raised by a single parent / relative? again, i am impressed with your desire to raise your 3 children on your own while the babydaddy is out of town trucking/soldiering. would there be any consensus to this idea: the percentage of children committing crimes from a single parent household is higher than that of children from households with two parents. i have ABSOLUTELY no research to back up this idea - but i'm willing to go "all in" on my bet!

Signal Always
Signal Always 07/11/07 - 03:01 pm
Me, a racist, that's funny.

Me, a racist, that's funny. As for you, apparently you don't remember, but you have made mention of your race. It's funny, anytime someone says anything negative about the black race they're a "racist", but anytime someone says something about the white race, they're just "speaking truth". Shows who really harbors bigotry in this city.

Signal Always
Signal Always 07/11/07 - 03:06 pm
Bwahahah, look it made

Bwahahah, look it made another funny post. "Waste his time on 'my kind'". What, you mean the white man? Or the Irish? Maybe Scottish? German? Cherokee? Southern maybe? Military veteran? Christian? I'm confused, which is my kind? All of the above? Or do I need to segregate myself and claim to be only one? Has nothing to do with racism, you dolt. Only an idiot thinks you cannot talk about race without claiming racism. Racism isn't as prevalent as it was in the past. Bigotry? Oh, hell yeah. I'm bigoted. You're bigoted. We are ALL bigoted. However, the reason I'm bigoted has nothing to do with race. Trash crosses all racial boundaries.

WorriedAboutOurFuture
WorriedAboutOurFuture 07/11/07 - 03:07 pm
Well, if we really wanted to

Well, if we really wanted to we could just sidestep this argument about black-white racism. We all know it exists on both sides. We could choose to let it lie there like a dead thing rather than pick it up, yet again.

Signal Always
Signal Always 07/11/07 - 03:17 pm
The glorification of "Thug

The glorification of "Thug Life" is the problem with inner cities. To add, Intheknow's contention that LaTwon isn't black because of her posts is also a problem. Why? It implies that there is a certain way black people should act. To deviate is to somehow not be "black enough". This is seen in the educational system as well. Making good grades, studying, excelling in school, is "acting white" and something to be ostracized. Don't believe me? Then tell me what the excuse is for the dismal failures that have been the schools in Richmond county? Black people can't learn? I totally reject that. Liberals didn't during integration. They lowered educational standards. Why? They, in their racist, and emotion-driven little minds thought black people needed help. I call BS. Black people in the two Magnet schools excel just as well as white people. Why? They aren't ostracized for busting their butts to succeed.

3572 07/11/07 - 03:19 pm
Bone you dont get it either

Bone you dont get it either regardless married or single i dont give a babies butt about what numbers say all i know is that everybody single is not bad there are children from single parent homes that are not bad and dont go there about what my children father do he hold down 2 jobs and so what, why did you have to mention that grow up and dont look down at people because they are not what you think they should be. I feel that i am just as good as the next person i dont care if i had 10 children and was single. As a matter of fact i have a co-worker
that has 5 children , well behaved , work full time and go to school full time and she is working on her ba degree and what makes a bad person or what sya her kids are going to be bad.You will not judge me sweety.

KingJames
KingJames 07/11/07 - 03:21 pm
WAOF, I agree with you. It

WAOF, I agree with you. It is sad how my hometown always has to treat itself. A boy, excuse me, a young man is dead and all people seem to want to do is use this tragedy as an excuse to fight about race.

TakeAstand
TakeAstand 07/11/07 - 03:32 pm
3572... it seems as though

3572... it seems as though people are speaking on here of in genreal.. no one said ALL. Stop taking offense if it does not fit your situation. And correct them on it. lol People kill me with that. Just because you didn't turn out the way these people are posting about does not mean thousands and thousands aren't. You are not even rebutting the situation you are just fighting with everyone about your situation and not the topic in general. It doesn't matter married or single.... chosing a good father for your children is a different story. Alot of these young women have 5 babies with 5 different dads before they are 25.... and each baby's daddy had been to jail and in trouble with the law BEFORE they got pregnant.. Then the woman complains about it. My sister did the same thing kind of and I give her an earful too. What do you think is going to happen when you have children with a criminal??? We all warned her before hand, but as usual you young people think you know it all. Now she regrets her choices, though she lovesher children. This does not sound like your situation.

TakeAstand
TakeAstand 07/11/07 - 03:35 pm
I got the point of the

I got the point of the original poster and the bill cosby reference, but I dont think he relayed the message correctly. Marrying a 5 time jailbird loser isn't the answer either. I think he was refering to the fact that you should chose who you have children with more wisely. If he was a criminal before.. is that really who you want raising you son. And this situation fits alot of young mothers. I see why you got upset at his post 3572... but as I said I think there was a lack of communication on his part. You and you childrens faher seem to be doing well. I see your point and will tell it to him also... would it be better if the woman choses to marry and divorce each of those sorry men who won't support their kids? I think not.. Freeman Instead of out of wedlock I think you mean chosing a mate more carefully period.

jackfruitpaper833
jackfruitpaper833 07/11/07 - 04:07 pm
Augusta is BACKWARDS so are

Augusta is BACKWARDS so are some of it's residents.