Tardy tax bill settled

Delinquent 2006 property taxes on three properties owned by Augusta Commissioner Marion Williams have been paid , according to Richmond County Tax Commission records.

Marion Williams owed $2,663.66 in taxes, penalties and interest.  File/Staff
File/Staff
Marion Williams owed $2,663.66 in taxes, penalties and interest.

The taxes were paid in cash Friday by a man who did not want credit for paying the $2,663.66 in taxes, penalties and interest, the clerk said.

When contacted by The Augusta Chronicle on Thursday, Mr. Williams said that he wasn't able to get to the tax office and make the payment himself. He refused to identify the person who paid the taxes for him.

"I paid late penalties and interest," he said. "There were no favors. There was no waiver. And I just owed one year. If I was two or three years late, it would be different."

Mr. Williams' unpaid property taxes have been a target in a lawsuit filed by community activist Woody Merry, who contended Mr. Williams was in violation of his oath of office because he owed back taxes.

Contacted Thursday, Mr. Merry said it was intolerable for someone else to pay Mr. Williams' taxes.

"At this time, I don't know if this is illegal, but it sure appears to be," he said.

Reach Sylvia Cooper at (706) 823-3228 or sylvia.cooper@augustachronicle.com.

jdcooper
jdcooper 07/06/07 - 01:10 am
I wonder where he got the

I wonder where he got the money??? Dug it up at the Golf Hall of fame gardens???

mutt
mutt 07/06/07 - 03:48 am
Isn't someone paying a bill

Isn't someone paying a bill for an elected official bribery? I know
that other officials have to report it when they are given tickets to a
ball game or other event, if it's more than some small amount. They
have to record who gave them what and when, and if they accept anything
over a certain amount it is an ethics violation that can be considered
criminal. I don't think that Marion Williams can operate within the
rules! He's either stupid or crooked to the core.

crystalball
crystalball 07/06/07 - 04:33 am
Both Mutt.

Both Mutt.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 07/06/07 - 04:48 am
Wasn't it nice for a person

Wasn't it nice for a person to pay Mr Williams past due taxes for him? And they used cash too, just so there wouldn't be much of a paper trail. I wonder if the clerk was nice enough to make the receipt out to Mr Williams even though he didn't make the payment personally. There couldn't be any doubt whose cash it was. This will also save Mr Merrys civic action group some money. Once again Mr Merrys group brings some positive action from his goading. Why wasn't the commission on it's toes enough to take care of this last year.

NANF
NANF 07/06/07 - 04:58 am
Marion Williams will ride

Marion Williams will ride this horse as long as he can. Like the rest of the crooks in the world, they DO get caught. And he will get his tail in a crack one day and not be able to wiggle his way out. He can sneer at all the voters now, but hang on Mr. Williams, your in for one heck of a slide down. Believe it or not.

pantherluvcik
pantherluvcik 07/06/07 - 05:29 am
First of all the man said he

First of all the man said he wasn't able to go himself and "HE" meaning himself paid late penalties. I send people to pay my bills all the time, doesn''t mean they used their money. Everyone was crying about him paying his taxes, and when he does it has to be a conspiracy. Just find something else to complain about that dog is dead. Nobody asks where you get your tax money, and he doesn't have to tell you where he got his. But that doesn't mean he stole it or took a bribe, get over it.

Pinchgut
Pinchgut 07/06/07 - 05:49 am
Old Moron's stupidity cost

Old Moron's stupidity cost him $2663.66

JimCox
JimCox 07/06/07 - 05:49 am
Why wasn't the payment

Why wasn't the payment refused? If the person would not identify themselves, there should be a policy in place to decline acceptance of the payment. I hope the IRS takes notice as well as local officials and the GBI,

pantherluvcik
pantherluvcik 07/06/07 - 06:13 am
When I go pay my taxes they

When I go pay my taxes they don't ask me to identify myself, why does it matter who handed them the money. Why would they refuse the payment? He pays it and you still make it a conspiracy. And what a surprise it made the headlines today.I wonder if he's the only politician to ever pay his taxes late or in cash?

Honden
Honden 07/06/07 - 06:37 am
how many of us walk around

how many of us walk around with 26 - 2700 in cash? Most of us would have written the check instead mainly for record keeping purposes. It sounds fishy to me.

Interested Citizen
Interested Citizen 07/06/07 - 06:42 am
All of us should live by

All of us should live by example.....that includes Marion Williams.

intheknow
intheknow 07/06/07 - 06:57 am
Thank you PANTHERLUVCIK.

Thank you PANTHERLUVCIK. People read what they want to read. Now that it is paid, it still will not be left alone. I hope that this MERRY guy, go back into the hole he crawled out of. "Sounds fishy to me." Good thing none of you all were there, when I paid over $5700.00 in cash, for a used car for my daughter. I want to understand how there are already 12 comments on this article, yet only a total of 52 on the comment, about Don Cheeks' son-in-law?

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 07/06/07 - 07:06 am
Yeah, intheknow and

Yeah, intheknow and pantherluvcik, This is just another case of trying to keep the black man down. Whitey got not reason to be picking on the just and honorable Rev. Williams. It don't matter where the cash come from, bribery is a white law.

thohen
thohen 07/06/07 - 07:18 am
What? No complaints about

What? No complaints about where Scooter Libby came up with a quarter million to pay his fine? I'd be willing to bet that the VP gladly paid that. As long as the money is paid, we shouldn't worry about where it came from.

alexis
alexis 07/06/07 - 07:18 am
Shouldn't this be considered

Shouldn't this be considered a political contribution??? What city employee took that much cash money without issuing a receipt? Doesn't matter anyway, he still swore on a bible during his oath of office TWICE that he didn't owe any government entity any money. Case is a slam dunk!

Goaliemom1987
Goaliemom1987 07/06/07 - 07:32 am
The reason people keep

The reason people keep "Williams" in the news is because he is a public commissioner. He should be on the up and up and pay his taxes like everyone else in the city. When you don't do what you should people take note...and "Williams" has alot for people to note! It's NOT a black/white issue...

intheknow
intheknow 07/06/07 - 07:45 am
PATRICIA THOMAS, Yoy can make

PATRICIA THOMAS, Yoy can make all of the off the wall remarks you wish. It is a fact that the money has been paid. Who paid it or where it came from, I really do not giove a dang. Now you can play to your base with the " Whitey" comment all you wish. I am sure your defenders will bo on later. I believe in EQUAL justice, that why I have worked in law enforcement, for over 29 years. I do not have to get your approval for my post, and I really do not have to kiss your behind. And for your information, I am not down, out or looking for handouts. I know you will like this part, I believe in calling a SPADE a SPADE.

mycomments
mycomments 07/06/07 - 07:49 am
When I worked at the Tax

When I worked at the Tax Commissioner's office years ago, if someone paid cash, we had to type that name in along with the payment because it is a deductible expense on income taxes. A receipt was then printed from the computer. Also, there were fifa's to be cleared which has to be done with one othe the delinquent superivsors, not a regular clerk. A simple open records request for that information should do the trick...if the employees of that office did their job properly.

KingJames
KingJames 07/06/07 - 08:05 am
I am in agreement with

I am in agreement with Goaliemom1987. Williams is a public official. In order to keep himself above suspicion about certain things, he should keep accurate financial records complete with bank statements and receipts. Then those who question who really paid his taxes would only need to know that Williams paid them with a check that did not bounce. That would have been enough to satisfy me. If that had been the case and some folks still questioned where the money came from, then I would say they were attacking Williams. I can't say that here because Williams should have had two records of having paid his taxes: a check or bank statement; and a receipt from the clerk. The check would be to show that the taxes were paid by him and no one else, and the receipt to show when the city accepted payment. When in the public eye, one should always show that one is trustworthy by being open and honest, especially about money. Paying his taxes is something that I think he should have made time to do instead of sending someone with cash. It is important because he is a politician. Other citizens can send someone to make payments for them because they are not politicians.

WW1949
WW1949 07/06/07 - 08:26 am
maybe people in his church

maybe people in his church gave him the money. i would never pay in cash. it would be paid by a charge card for the record and also to get points for a cash refund, fly miles or gift reward. still, mr. williams should always be above reproach. as for the comment above about don cheeks and the number of posts. it was his son in law and not him that was indicted. his son in law is not a politician that claims his only source of income is what the county pays him. there is a difference.

stillamazed
stillamazed 07/06/07 - 08:36 am
I think that the Chronicle

I think that the Chronicle should stop allowing posts.....you can't even discuss issues without a bunch or rasist(on both sides). Right is right and wrong is wrong and no matter what your skin color you should have to answer to your actions, especailly when you hold a public office. I don't know what this man has done but I am certainly going to judge him purely on color. If he is doing dirty business it will all come out.

LMS2005
LMS2005 07/06/07 - 08:40 am
We will be better off when

We will be better off when Marion Williams is no longer a commissioner. He just causes problems instead of fixing them. Why couldn't he have paid his own taxes? The tax office is in the municipal building and isn't commissioner meetings in that same building - maybe a different floor. Something doesn't sound right to me..........

intheknow
intheknow 07/06/07 - 08:43 am
You know they have treatment

You know they have treatment for CRABS. Was that an attempt at humor? And the PT and others of this arear, wonder why there is such a rift in this county.

feedup
feedup 07/06/07 - 08:45 am
The taxes was paid. So what

The taxes was paid. So what is the problem. When you go pay your taxes does the tax office call the Augusta Chronicle and inform them you paid your taxs in cah. Sound like someone in the tax office is leaking information. What hapen to the privacy policy? The man didn't have to identify himself. There are more pressig issues here then who paid his taxes.

Edward B. Turner
Edward B. Turner 07/06/07 - 08:48 am
A Pastor who is late on his

A Pastor who is late on his or her taxes is NOT a true man of God. Actions speak louder than words.

intheknow
intheknow 07/06/07 - 08:48 am
Can you people not read?

Can you people not read? Where did it say that it was not his money? Even the I.R.S. allow cash payment up to $10,000.00 with out a receipt. Try reading " I paid the late penalties and interest." All you English Majors, know that I means, that he paid it.

fd1962
fd1962 07/06/07 - 08:49 am
Crimoney, all the dude did

Crimoney, all the dude did was pay his debt in full. Put away the pitchforks, for crying out loud.

intheknow
intheknow 07/06/07 - 08:51 am

thank you, now god, has spoken.

AsItIs
AsItIs 07/06/07 - 09:03 am
I thought to run for an

I thought to run for an elected position a person had to "QUALIFY". Who determines that the "QUALIFICATIONS" are indeed met and that a person is elegible to put his or her name on the ballot? As for the albeit late payment, aren't the Tax Commissioner's records PUBLIC records? Why wouldn't someone be PROUD to pay this for the "Commissioner" and why couldn't they do it in a timely manner?

t of i
t of i 07/06/07 - 09:05 am
"The taxes were paid in cash

"The taxes were paid in cash Friday by a man who did not want credit for paying the $2,663.66 in taxes, penalties and interest, the clerk said" That is an odd way of stating it if indeed Marion supplied his own money for the entire tax bill. The whole thing is fishy. After all, a man in public service should do everything "above board" so as not to incur the public's suspensions. If he did foot the bill, this was an incredibly stupid course of action on his part.