Man kills nurse, himself

An Augusta nurse was lured to a former boyfriend's home and killed Tuesday in what Richmond County investigators are calling a premeditated murder-suicide.

Richmond County animal control officer Willie Barnes removes a dog from the West Augusta house where police say an apparent murder-suicide occurred Tuesday morning.  Annette M. Drowlette/Staff
Annette M. Drowlette/Staff

Deputies found the bodies of Robert Eugene Asmann, 62, and Marcia Collins Wood, 49, at Mr. Asmann's home in West Augusta a little before 6 a.m.

Ms. Wood, who lives next door, was found in the bedroom covered with towels and her arms lay crossed on her chest.

She had suffered a gunshot wound to the chest, according to Richmond County Chief Deputy Coroner Mark Bowen.

Mr. Asmann was found in the backyard with bed linens draped over his face and head and a silver handgun nearby, the report said.

He had a single gunshot wound to the chest.

Officials rushed him to the Medical College of Georgia where he died about 40 minutes later, Mr. Bowen said.

Sgt. Roundtree said the two had been involved in a relationship that had recently ended and Ms. Wood had come to the home to return some personal items.

"At this point in the investigation we believe it was a planned event," he said. "He left evidence in the house that points to this."

Notes addressed to members of Mr. Asmann's family and contact information for family members were found, according to a sheriff's report. A cell phone found lying in the yard matched the number that made the initial 911 emergency call.

"He made the call to 911 just before he shot himself," Richmond County Coroner Grover Tuten said.

In a statement, Shayne George, president and CEO of Doctors Hospital, mourned the loss of Ms. Wood, who had worked at the hospital for the last six years.

"We are deeply saddened to hear about this tragic event," the release said. "Marcia was an operating room nurse here at Doctors Hospital, where she was part of our family. We are keeping her family in our thoughts and prayers."

Reach Adam Folk at (706) 823-3339 or adam.folk@augustachronicle.com.

Equaltreatmentforall
Equaltreatmentforall 07/04/07 - 08:19 am
What a tragic and sad

What a tragic and sad situation. My heart and prayers go out to both of these familes.

clemsongirl
clemsongirl 07/04/07 - 09:22 am
Marcia's family is in my

Marcia's family is in my thoughts and prayers at this difficult time. I have known Marcia for many years. I had not seen her very much lately. but she was a very sweet person. I am so sorry. It is really so hard to believe.

skeptical
skeptical 07/04/07 - 09:24 am
I worked with Marcia at

I worked with Marcia at Doctors. She was a wonderful nurse and good person. My thoughts and prayers are with her two daugthers.

mikefindley
mikefindley 07/04/07 - 09:27 am
Marcia was a wonderful caring

Marcia was a wonderful caring person, may she find her peace in heaven. She and her family are in my thoughts and prayers. She was such a sweet lady, full of life. I am so sorry, I wish I knew what to say, I am still in shock over the loss of such a special person.

FedUp
FedUp 07/04/07 - 09:39 am
Driven him to it?!?! That is

Driven him to it?!?! That is NO excuse to kill someone!!! He did it because HE wanted to...he planned it!

jbstewartktm
jbstewartktm 07/04/07 - 10:09 am
Who did what at this point

Who did what at this point doesn't matter. Both have grieving families that should be respected.

lady51
lady51 07/04/07 - 10:37 am
What's wrong with these

What's wrong with these peoples. We all need God in our lives.

CoastalDawg
CoastalDawg 07/04/07 - 10:50 am
No one can "drive" someone to

No one can "drive" someone to commit murder.

pofwe
pofwe 07/04/07 - 10:57 am
I don't know Asmann, but he

I don't know Asmann, but he is a killer.

reader123
reader123 07/04/07 - 11:38 am
I cannot believe that you

I cannot believe that you think SHE drove him to commit murder. Whatever the reason, our community has lost a caring woman.

helloeveryone
helloeveryone 07/04/07 - 11:44 am
To all you single girls out

To all you single girls out there, remember that domestic violence is a hugh percentage of the murders committed. It's everywhere.... so beware......and get out of any relationship you cannot control......

ssglewswife
ssglewswife 07/04/07 - 11:45 am
I do not know Marcia but know

I do not know Marcia but know one of her daughters. My heart is breaking for her daughters. I'm keeping Marcia's family in my thoughts and prayers.

pav2003
pav2003 07/04/07 - 12:19 pm
My heart goes out to the

My heart goes out to the victim's family. Nobody deserves what he did to her. On another note, I am so glad that no one has made "race" an issue in all of this....

butterfleyes64
butterfleyes64 07/04/07 - 12:22 pm
I knew both the victims and

I knew both the victims and there was no domestic violence at all. So don't say things when you don't know what you are talking about.

wink
wink 07/04/07 - 01:17 pm
mercedesbends how dare you

mercedesbends how dare you make a post like that. Just because you know them does not mean you know everything about that person.Let her family grieve in peace. Did not know either party but my thoughts are with the families.

iletuknow
iletuknow 07/04/07 - 01:38 pm
62 is a bit late in life for

62 is a bit late in life for a man to deal with the stress of a woman relationship,better to get a dog.

therealghostwhisper
therealghostwhisper 07/04/07 - 01:43 pm
mecerdesbends..... may God

mecerdesbends..... may God forgive you.......Do not judge...I pray that God our Heavenly Father guides these families as they are suffering.. I leave with prayers to all concerned.

snowwhite55
snowwhite55 07/04/07 - 02:09 pm
iletyouknow....let me tell

iletyouknow....let me tell you....how dare you say "better get a dog"!!! Animal cruelty is also against the law. The fact that she is dead says this is domestic violence. Not all women tell the world their problems. God bless her and her family.

rbutterflly02
rbutterflly02 07/04/07 - 05:36 pm
I did not know Marcia, But I

I did not know Marcia, But I did knew Bob. I have known him for a very long time, and when I heard this, it completely blew my mind. He was always smiling and goofing off with everyone. He has alot of children who are hurting very badly right now too. Lets not forget his family in this tragedy. My heart goes out to Marcia's family as well. I wish them all, some sort of peace through this horrible tragedy.

Rose
Rose 07/04/07 - 05:37 pm
iletuknow, how old are you?

iletuknow, how old are you? You said 62 is a bit late in life for a man to deal with the stress of a woman relationship,Sorry to burst your bubble, but a 62 yr old mans need love and companionship just as much or more than a young man. My husband is almost 62, and we have been together for 40 yrs. You don't know what you are talking about.

Rose
Rose 07/04/07 - 05:42 pm
I knew neither one, but

I knew neither one, but killer her was wrong. No excuses. Too bad he did not live to face the courts. I do feel for both families.

Mac57
Mac57 07/04/07 - 07:23 pm
Neither of her daughters or

Neither of her daughters or family deserve to go through this situation. This is such a tragic event and i pray will comfort them through this time of need. And to mecerdesbends you have no right to say what you did. Bob was someone who marcia's family trusted and considered family. How dare you make ignorant remarks about this tragedy when you have no idea what went on in this situation other that what you have seen on the news. There is a lot more to this situation than you think. And as Rose said previously there is no excuse for what he did.

As It Is
As It Is 07/04/07 - 07:33 pm
Driven him to it? What kind

Driven him to it? What kind of an idiot are you MercedesBendz? There is absolutely nothing that explains murder and he is a coward as well.

Texasaggie43
Texasaggie43 07/04/07 - 08:05 pm
To the daughters of Marcia,

To the daughters of Marcia, you will remain in my prayers for the grief that you are going through. I worked with your Mom. Marcia was a great Nurse who enjoyed taking care of her patients as well as their families and friends. You would have been so proud of your Mom in her chosen career. She was truly a professional Nurse. How do you describe such an individual..... vivacious, bubbly, funny, genuine, sincere, and most of all a dear friend. Marcia was truly the kind of person that made the world a better place. So I say to you now, focus on all the good times that you Guys had together. This is what will help you through all the present madness. Your Mom was taken away from you prematurely but no one can take those wonderful memories of her away that will guide you.Your Mom would want you to go on with your lives and make her proud. She loved you both dearly and nothing or no one can ever take that away from you girls. I take this opportunity to express how much she will be missed in the operating room of Doctors Hospital. May God bless and keep you in his Grace during this most difficult time in your lives. Sincerely, a co-worker.

BearcatSmith
BearcatSmith 07/04/07 - 08:13 pm
As some have said, this act

As some have said, this act was completely out character for Bob. I have know the man for more then 30 years. And I know that mecerdesbends did know Bob, how well she thought she knew him I don't know. To me, this was a total shock, as to what really happened, only two people know/knew what caused this tragady. And both of them are now gone. As for me I will always find it hard to beleive this happened, and all I can say is that my prayers go out to both families at this time of loss and sorrow. I pray that God finds a way to ease the pain being felt in both families.

iletuknow
iletuknow 07/04/07 - 09:28 pm
"MY" husband Rose? Exactly

"MY" husband Rose? Exactly what I was talking about. Tell me:what freedoms do you allow him to have? How many years did it take till you officially owned him,or was it immediate?

3749 07/04/07 - 09:55 pm
We are grieving for Doctor's

We are grieving for Doctor's Hospital and employees. You have lost two fine nurses during the months of June and July. Such shocks are very difficult to deal wtih. We are grieving for Marsha's two daughters and Bob's two sons and daughter. We are all in shock. Bob was a very hard working man and very responsible in our community until something must have snapped. What a pitty. Marsha was a lovely lady, hard working, loyal to Doctor's Hospital and a loving mother. Lord, hear our prayers while these children and families are grieving. Let us all give some respect during these sensitive and sad times.

Rose
Rose 07/04/07 - 11:25 pm
iletuknow, we are married, so

iletuknow, we are married, so I am his and he is mine. He is MY husband, because he is not married to anyone but me.

Rose
Rose 07/04/07 - 11:31 pm
And, we are equals. We don't

And, we are equals. We don't boss each other.

wink
wink 07/05/07 - 02:09 am
iketuknow how do you refer to

iketuknow how do you refer to husband/wife? good goin there rose!