Fight may have role in shooting

Police now think that a fight between rival gangs preceded Sunday's fatal shooting outside an Augusta nightclub and that a deputy could have been the target.

Ward  Special
Special
Ward

Investigators said they think Denzel Laquan Ward, 16, fired the shot that killed 24-year-old Nicholas Martel Carpenter. Mr. Carpenter was standing outside Club Platinum on North Leg Road a little before 2 a.m. when Mr. Ward leaned out of the window of a gray Pontiac Vibe and fired a semiautomatic handgun - striking the victim in the stomach, Richmond County Homicide Investigator Steve Fanning said.

Mr. Ward was charged with murder. Kwamane Coleman, 17, has been detained by police and is thought to have been inside the vehicle at the time of the shooting.

A third person, whom police have only identified by the nickname "KO," also is thought to have been riding in the car.

Little is known about what sparked the fight between the Barton Village-based O-Dub gang and the Old Savannah Boys, who hail from the Dogwood Terrace housing project on 15th Avenue, Investigator Fanning said. He said that although the fight is believed to be gang-related, there is no evidence that either Mr. Ward or the victim was affiliated with any local gangs, although both Mr. Ward and Mr. Coleman are known to frequent what is considered Old Savannah Boys territory.

"I don't think the actual shooting was gang-related," he said. "I haven't been able to determine whether the victim was related to any gangs, and I can't find anything that shows that the shooter knew the victim."

What is known is that a large group of men began to spill into the parking lot as Deputy Seth Giddens, who was working a special assignment at the club, began to break up the fight. The deputy was standing only a few feet from Mr. Carpenter when the shot was fired, which has Investigator Fanning wondering whether the bullet found the target the shooter initially had in mind.

"We don't know if this guy was trying to make a statement to the deputy or what," he said. "It looks as though the victim was an innocent bystander."

He said the lack of a relationship between the shooter and the victim only adds to the theory.

As the car sped from the scene, a deputy parked on Wrightsboro Road chased it. The occupants pulled into the Georgian Place Apartments, jumped from the car and escaped on foot. A search of their vehicle turned up blood and at least one shell casing that matched others found at the scene.

Investigator Fanning said the vehicle's license plate information showed that it was registered to a family member of Mr. Ward. Mr. Coleman turned himself in to authorities Sunday night after hearing on TV that he was wanted for questioning.

Police are asking anyone with information about the case to call (706) 821-1080.

Reach Adam Folk at (706) 823-3339 or adam.folk@augustachronicle.com.

AUGUSTA GANGS

O-DUB: With more than 100 members, O-Dub is considered Augusta's largest gang. Its base is the Barton Village neighborhood in south Augusta. It also is known by the acronym OWTT, which stands for Only With True Thugs.

OLD SAVANNAH BOYS: Also called the Southside Posse, this gang originated in the area of the Dogwood Terrace housing projects on 15th Avenue. Its territory is within the area of Old Savannah Road, Olive Road and Martin Luther King Boulevard.

Source: Augusta Chronicle reports

MyOpinion1
MyOpinion1 07/03/07 - 03:05 am
Our Law Enforcement needs to

Our Law Enforcement needs to crack down on these gangs. These young men don't know what they are getting themselves into when they join these so called gangs. I'm scared to go out of my own house, or to go anywhere to have fun anymore. It's not safe being in the streets or in these clubs.

Sarge
Sarge 07/03/07 - 06:17 am
We need to stop publishing

We need to stop publishing story about these losers. In my opinion they get an adrenaline rush from reading articles like this. Let's continue to lock them up and communicate to the public how much time they are getting for their crimes. Also, when their mug shot is shown in the paper or on TV, shave their heads. As for giving stats on gangs’ membership, please don't!!! Just let me know the number of losers (gang members/cowards) you have taken off the street.

pofwe
pofwe 07/03/07 - 06:30 am
These thugs have no sense of

These thugs have no sense of civility. Never heard of the word. Respect ...? Can't spell it. Why? Mama & daddy are as ignorant as they are. These hoodlums want to be "big men," feared by others. When apprehended they cry foul, mama, poverty, anything but, "my fault." They want to be ajudicated as a minor. As stupid & immoral as they are, (thanks to court appointed mouthpiecies), they play the system like mistros. White, black, brown, or green, show them all that we are meaner than them. Have you noticed that people are fed up with their felonious acts & are actually defending themselves, (with firepower,) when possible.

pantherluvcik
pantherluvcik 07/03/07 - 07:03 am
Sarge I doubt any of them

Sarge I doubt any of them actually read the paper. That club needs to be shut down anyway, why is a 24 year old and a 16 year old in the same club? And I'm willing to bet their parents had no idea they were involved with anything like this. So why do their parents have to be ignorant? And you can believe that they think this was all about respect, that's the one word i'm sure they can spell. Only it's not the proper kind of respect, which is respect for human life.

pantherluvcik
pantherluvcik 07/03/07 - 07:08 am
I didn't see the cop nor do

I didn't see the cop nor do they mention race here in the article so I don't know. But if they didn't mention race why did you? Another day in the good ole south.

intheknow
intheknow 07/03/07 - 07:36 am
JDOG, You sound worst than

JDOG, You sound worst than those thugs. The color of the law is BLUE. Other than that, the color or race of the officer has nothing to do with it. People who have little respect for the laws of this country, are not looking at what race the deputy is. If you know you history of this county, the last two Black law enforcement officers were killed by black males.

intheknow
intheknow 07/03/07 - 07:38 am
That should have been " your

That should have been " your history ". Also, why do some people feel that they have the right to tell someone to : MOVE ", because they disagree with them?

scoot2
scoot2 07/03/07 - 07:43 am
We need positive activities

We need positive activities for young men. As a community we need to reclaim our youth. No one should be afraid to go anywhere here in augusta due to gangs. And as for as what was a 24 year old and a 16 year old doing at the same club they are in the same shopping center. Which is very STUPID it should be some type of law prohibiting a teeny bopper club from being that close to an adult club.

jackfruitpaper833
jackfruitpaper833 07/03/07 - 07:48 am
Augusta is BACKWARDS.

Augusta is BACKWARDS.

pantherluvcik
pantherluvcik 07/03/07 - 07:59 am
jdog I never said I didn't

jdog I never said I didn't like the south, I love the south. I should clarify, I don't like people in the south who use race as a response for everything. Thank you for challenging me to express my thoughts clearly. Thank you intheknow only if we had more people who thought like you here. And thanks jumbo I really didn't know there were two clubs in the same plaza, you're right that's beyond STUPID. A bunch of drunk adults and crazy teens is a bad mix. I wonder who came up with that bright idea, this is why I haven't been to a club in 10 years.

work for a living
work for a living 07/03/07 - 08:02 am
First, children 16 years old

First, children 16 years old have no business in any type of night club atmosphere. They can't legally go into a real club until they are 21 years old. There is a hugh difference in a 16 and 21 year old. Are we prepping them for when they turn 21. These kids need to be involved in church activities not gang activities. Where are the parents allowing them to be at this type of establishment and why are they at this age in the posession of guns. Whomever the gun owner is needs to be charged as well for allowing a minor to have posession of a gun. The police just like the teachers in schools can't do it all. The parents at some point have to take responsibility. Too many young lives are being taken away, either in death or for life in jail before they are even adults. Wake up parents, God gave you these children, raise them instead of the streets raising them because this is what you will get in return and then it is too late.

redapples
redapples 07/03/07 - 08:02 am
Some of you are a little

Some of you are a little naive about where the parents are in all of this. Not all, but many are jacked up on drugs, prostitution, etc. and could care less that their 16 year old is in an adult club. Furthermore, these club owners know they have underage kids in their clubs. More adults should volunteer at some of the RC schools and you'd be introduced to a whole new world, and a scary one at that!

tusmooth1
tusmooth1 07/03/07 - 08:10 am
First of all why in the hell

First of all why in the hell does a 16 year old club exist, now thats backwards. I remember at 2am in the morning I was lucky to stay up and watch tv that late. Another thing, these kids can really cry foul because they are a product of there enviroment. Not saying that this should be a legitimate excuse but it is a valid reason why these kids are like this. This was a stupid crime by a young man who doesnt know any other life than this one because people like us only write about what should be done and as I quote let them kill themselves instead going and educating the illiterate. More than half of these kids parents do know what they do but have no help with them, ie dad not home to help control and mom to weak to do so. Not an excuse just a valid reason, or mom and dad or whatever combo of the one is just like them and raise them like that or dont raise them at all. Most of these kids are raised by grandma who cant control them and hell probably dont want them because mom and or dad dumped them off on them when they were young. People all of these problems are real issues to these kids and "OUR" society only instigates more of this by making teen clubs and promoting bad.

AugustaVoter
AugustaVoter 07/03/07 - 08:12 am
I call that natural

I call that natural selection. If they are stupid enough to live the "gang" life. Then they should die like a real gang member. Stupidity kills. And why would a 24 year old be in the parking lot of a TEEN club in the first place? Sounds like he was asking for trouble. Thank goodness the shooter missed the Deputy. He was just trying to make a living working for the club, lord knows the county doesn't pay them crap!

scoot2
scoot2 07/03/07 - 08:23 am
All of these comments are

All of these comments are just negative. Where is the christian in your heart???? Pray for our youth our future. Take a stand become a role model volunteer at a school like pcm stated. I am only 27 but when I see a teenager or child doing wrong in my neighborhood I correct whether their cursing out loud or just acting plain ignorant I say something. If they are hang out late night in the street or the park I call the police. We have to start somewhere.

Raindance
Raindance 07/03/07 - 08:30 am
Maybe the government could

Maybe the government could initiate a program that makes birth control as mandatory as a mumps vaccination. Then there wouldn't BE so many unwanted kids around to wind up in a gang at all. Granny wouldn't find so many on her doorstep either. Product of the environment or not, everyone knows it's wrong to kill another human being. Everyone knows it's wrong to take things that don't belong to you. I wonder if anyone has even tried to find out what exactly these "product of their environment" kids actually WANT to do with their spare time? Even if the city of Augusta had a variety of "programs" for them to be involved in, how would they get there? A "caring" gang family member would drop them off on the way to another drive-by?

pantherluvcik
pantherluvcik 07/03/07 - 08:38 am
Augusta Voter jumbo said

Augusta Voter jumbo said there were two clubs in the same plaza, and they said the 24 year old was not a gang member. He was an innocent bystander, so why would you say he should die like a real gang member. In fact they said there was no evidence that any of them were gang members. And good parents can raise bad kids. There were a lot of places I went that my parents didn't know about. You just have to do your best and pray it works.....

pantherluvcik
pantherluvcik 07/03/07 - 08:42 am
Raindance I wouldn't want the

Raindance I wouldn't want the government controlling my ovaries or any other body parts for that matter. The more rights we lose the less freedom we have.

Additional Info
Additional Info 07/03/07 - 08:55 am
When a cop works at a club,

When a cop works at a club, that is not something the county is involved in. Cops can choose to work 'a special' and the cop chooses where. No matter the race of the officer, he made a choice to work there on his own time, to serve and protect.

KingJames
KingJames 07/03/07 - 09:01 am
This is a tragedy that should

This is a tragedy that should not have happened. I've stated in the past that the community needs to do more to try to save our youth from themselves. I think that the community has just about had enough now because some are saying let them kill each other and die like a real gang member. The AC ran a series of stories on gangs, but readers seem to think the stories sensationalized the problem. I think TV and newspaper reporters need to start doing jailhouse interviews with these boys. Let the public know more about them than those mug shots. They should also follow the cases more closely and publish as often as possible the likely outcome of a sentence for murder, robbery, and other gang related activity. A reporter needs to go to the prisons to show what the facilities and day-to-day activities are, as well as interview some convicts from the local area who are serving maximum sentences. Additional things that need to be brought out should be some of the horrors of prison life, things that guards don't see. They need to finally get a convict that these kids know to say being in O-Dub and Old Savannah Boys isn't worth throwing away their lives.

Raindance
Raindance 07/03/07 - 09:07 am
I walked into that one,

I walked into that one, panther. You are absolutely right about body part control. I was thinking maybe only enforce birth control until age 18 or so, 21 would be even better. Maybe by then their mature and sensible mindset would be operational - the part that knows to finish school, stay away from mean people, get a job (WITH W2s), and be able to support themselves before they bring a kid into the world...that sort of thing. Wishful thinking, I know. But it just makes so much SENSE.

weekapaug05
weekapaug05 07/03/07 - 09:24 am
What's wrong with all ages

What's wrong with all ages clubs? Sector 7G is an all ages club for young and old to go enjoy metal and punk music, why can't their be a hip hop club for all ages too? It gives a place for young folks to go dance talk to some girls and just get away from school and the pressures of parents (if they have any). The club had police working at the door of the club, as well as club security inside (which I heard on the news last night). This appears to be an isolated event where some mis-bent youth flew off the handle, and everyone's making it out to be that all these kids are bad apples and that they shouldn't be in the club. Well if they're not in the club they're on the streets probably getting into more trouble than they would at a dance club.

chadwick323i
chadwick323i 07/03/07 - 09:27 am
It tells you how stupid these

It tells you how stupid these kids are. If he was trying to shoot the deputy and had killed him, he didn't think that the law would flip this backwards town upside down looking for the killer.

pantherluvcik
pantherluvcik 07/03/07 - 09:34 am
weekapaugh05 one word

weekapaugh05 one word "pedophile" I wouldn't want my 16 year old hanging out with a 24 year old. Not unless i'm at the club too, but I can't move like Used to so I guess he has to stay home with me.

weekapaug05
weekapaug05 07/03/07 - 09:45 am
pantherluvcik, who said that

pantherluvcik, who said that these two kids were hanging out? And who said anything about sex or pedophiles? So do you not want your kids to go to River Blast and go see fireworks DT, cause there will be people of all ages hanging out there, or first Fridays? Do you not let your children go to the movie theater, last time I checked they don't have an age requirement? Who said you have to dance at the club? I'm sure that some kids parents were at the club that night but I be they werent there at 2 am when this occured. I mean there could be a pedophile walking down any street at any given time that could be eyeing your 16 year old. So are you going to keep them in the house now? Heck the 24 year old could have been there because he was picking up his little brother or sister, or could be a friend of someone who worked at the club. It didn't say anything about what the 24 year old was there for. AND THERE'S NO "H" AT THE END OF MY HANDLE!

Lilly_Irene
Lilly_Irene 07/03/07 - 10:01 am
I know this family very well

I know this family very well and his mother is a very loving caring mother who is home with her child when she isn't working. She has already lost one sone due to a car accident. She isn't ignorant and neither is her family. He is a child who went astray. Don't sterotype his family for his decision. I am broken hearted for his mother, his grandmother and his aunts; as well as the victims family.

pantherluvcik
pantherluvcik 07/03/07 - 10:20 am
weekpaug05 i'm sorry it was

weekpaug05 i'm sorry it was an assumption that if they were at a club they were hanging out. There are all kinds of scenarios here but neither of us were there. I still wouldn't let my 16 year old go to a CLUB with a 24 year old. Just about anywhere else is fine. Sorry for the h....

0430 07/03/07 - 10:20 am
If the Law Enforcement knows

If the Law Enforcement knows how many members are in each gang and thier names, why can't they dust off the law books and find a reason to take these thugs off the street. I remember the Cops having a video of the gang members. To Law Enforcement, do your job, protect the public.

weekapaug05
weekapaug05 07/03/07 - 10:29 am
You're not the only one who

You're not the only one who tags that "h" on ... I wonder why so many do. I wouldn't let a 16 year old go out (like on a date) with a 24 year old either. Hopefully too you have a daughter or son that would be smarter and know better than to be hanging out with some random dude in their mid-20's

CLUBWORKER
CLUBWORKER 07/03/07 - 10:45 am
iv'e worked in all types of

iv'e worked in all types of clubs in all age groups in the past 6 years teen clubs are the most violent! teen clubs need to be monitored closely if not closed down. believe it or not most responsibilty actually falls on the club owners and how the club is ran. most club owners or managers think more about money then safety.

their are even suppose to be a curfew that applies to clubs only allowing young adult 18 and older to be in the club passed 12:00 which is not being enforced by the police officers.

lastely their are really not any orgainized gangs in augusta just children and teens claiming their neighborhoods.

that is why i don't work teen clubs anymore and why you rarely can get the police to work them.

my comments come from experience not opinions