Don't flaunt gay lifestyle around us

Christopher Bannochie ("Gay pride at SRS is misunderstood," June 24) spends an entire column in your editorial section ranting against fundamentalists and evangelical Protestants, and their objections to his lifestyle.

Forgive me, but I happen to be a Protestant, and I object not to Bannochie's lifestyle, but to his flaunting it in my face. I don't care if he sleeps with the family dog as long as he does it in his own home and doesn't ask my approval.

If approval is what he's seeking, he will never find it in the Protestant community - but he will find tolerance and acceptance. Just don't continually flaunt the "gay lifestyle" in our faces, and we will do him the same courtesy of not flaunting our sexual behavior under his nose.

Equating Bible-thumping with sexual behavior is as out of touch with reality as equating the Quran with the war in Iraq. Update your thinking and you might find a few more friends out there.

Carolyn Gatliff, Waynesboro

wildman
wildman 06/30/07 - 06:41 am
makes sense to me!

makes sense to me!

Carleton Duvall
Carleton Duvall 06/30/07 - 08:53 am
Me too, Uncle BS

Me too, Uncle BS

johnsmith
johnsmith 06/30/07 - 09:13 am
What "flaunting" are you

What "flaunting" are you talking about...? Last I checked, it was legal to have sex with anyone in public...

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 06/30/07 - 09:17 am
Why would you check something

Why would you check something like that johnsmith?

Carleton Duvall
Carleton Duvall 06/30/07 - 09:29 am
PT, one must be prepared when

PT, one must be prepared when the occasion arises.

bone
bone 06/30/07 - 09:29 am
keep your sex to yourself (or

keep your sex to yourself (or post it online)

getalife
getalife 06/30/07 - 09:34 am
I agree with the letter, you

I agree with the letter, you can have sex with whomever you want, just don't push, promote or advertise it to me.

_kpc_
_kpc_ 06/30/07 - 09:52 am
Legal to have sex in public?

Legal to have sex in public? What about laws against indecent exposure? I suppose if it's done some bizzar way you could avoid that, but I don't see how.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 06/30/07 - 09:57 am
see johnsmith, he checks into

see johnsmith, he checks into stuff like that.

_kpc_
_kpc_ 06/30/07 - 09:59 am
lol

lol

ConcernedCitizen1
ConcernedCitizen1 06/30/07 - 10:47 am
What is "flaunting"? I'm

What is "flaunting"? I'm more concerned about those wolves in sheep's clothing who hide their dirt, while putting on a public "Christian" face.
Those who shout their "moral" views from the rooftops about the "gay plague," abortion, virginity or other PERSONAL moral issues, while hurting others by doing God knows what behind their closed doors.

SeekJesus
SeekJesus 06/30/07 - 10:47 am
aaaaaaammmmmeeeeeennnnnn!!!!!

aaaaaaammmmmeeeeeennnnnn!!!!! amen carolyn!!!!!

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 06/30/07 - 11:00 am
ConcernedCitizen, don't be

ConcernedCitizen, don't be peeking and you won't know of hidden "dirt". No moral shouting will take place without the flaunting. "Don't ask, don't tell" was the only intelligent thing to come out of the last administration. The least we can do is pay it homage by heeding this advice.

PFLY775
PFLY775 06/30/07 - 11:22 am
Gay pride is one thing but

Gay pride is one thing but gosh, can't gays find any other topic of conversation besides their lifestyle? All the conversations seems to always end up centering around their sexuality. Whether on the job, at social events; give it a rest already. Ever heard of being discreet?

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 06/30/07 - 11:26 am
coalminer777, all to often in

coalminer777, all to often in the gay world flamboyant and gay are synonymous and discreet and 'closeted' are synonymous. The rest is history.

_kpc_
_kpc_ 06/30/07 - 11:29 am
Do heterosexuals have parades

Do heterosexuals have parades that center around their desire to have sex with the opposite sex?

bone
bone 06/30/07 - 11:36 am
mardi gras on fat tuesday

mardi gras on fat tuesday

mgroothand
mgroothand 06/30/07 - 11:39 am
I once fired a lesbian

I once fired a lesbian employee, not for being a lesbian but for flaunting her preference by having sex with her girlfriend in a well marked company car in front of curious onlookers. One of them called me and complained. Guess who got all the negative publicity for firing the poor lesbian?

mgroothand
mgroothand 06/30/07 - 11:43 am
bone: LOL but, you are being

bone: LOL but, you are being redundant Mardi Gras means Fat Tuesday but you're also wrong if you're talking about Mardi Gras in New Orleans. The revelers in the gaudy costumes there are mostly gay.

bone
bone 06/30/07 - 11:45 am
hmmm...didn't notice the gays

hmmm...didn't notice the gays so much.

mgroothand
mgroothand 06/30/07 - 11:56 am
In the parades, not on the

In the parades, not on the balconies

ConcernedCitizen1
ConcernedCitizen1 06/30/07 - 12:00 pm
patriciathomas...I take pride

patriciathomas...I take pride in the fact that you disagree with me given some of your past comments. Personally, I don't care about an adult gay man or woman loving one another. I am, however, concerned about kids being abused physically, emotionally and/or sexually (behind closed doors) And I don't have to peek behind closed doors, I can just be alert enough to pay attention to the signs of abuse and report them to the appropriate authorities so they can investigate and possibly save a defenseless innocent (surely you don't advocate turning a blind eye)...I never said I peeked into others personal lives, My comment was directed at those who scream the loudest about an afront to their morals (i.e. congressman mark foley and others in the religious right) , many times have dirty little secrets they are hiding. Could you be one?

CoastalDawg
CoastalDawg 06/30/07 - 12:00 pm
Flaunting is what gay pride

Flaunting is what gay pride is all about. I've never quite understood what that "pride" actually is. Is it pride in choosing aberrant behavior as compared to the large majority of heterosexuals in the world? Is it pride in bringing publicity to what should be left behind the walls of your bedroom? Is it pride in facing the very thing which your public "pride" generates, that is opposition and resistance. Acceptance on an individual level is actually pretty easy to obtain - just be yourself, keep your own sexual preferences between you and your partner or multiple partners. Instead the whole gay "pride" movement seeks public blessing on what is not and never will become an acceptable moral standard. Whether or not you believe in or accept God, He IS watching (as the song says) from a distance. Flaunting in HIS face won't have pleasant consequences. Who or what attracts you isn't the problem - it's individual REACTION to that temptation that can be either a problem or solution in that particular situation.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 06/30/07 - 12:15 pm
concernedcitizen, the subject

concernedcitizen, the subject of my comment was the subject of the letter and a response to your post. Yes, there is much to much sexual abuse. No, it's never acceptable. My point is that flaunting precipitates problems needlessly. On any other subject it would be called baiting. If you're more concerned about non-gay predators, more power to you. Could I be one? Yes I could.I could be gay or straight or a molester or a predator. I choose to be straight and honorable. How about you?

ConcernedCitizen1
ConcernedCitizen1 06/30/07 - 12:39 pm
patriciathomas, although my

patriciathomas, although my question was rhetorical and directed to everyone, I apologize if you took it personally. And it wasn't directed at sexual orientation. I don't care to know about your sexual orientation (or anyone else's for that matter). It was about the hypocrisy of those who are the self appointed guardians of morality. I don't equate a person choosing to be openly gay as imposing their lifestyle on me. If they made a pass at me, that would be different. I do feel that the religious right or the so called "moral majority"are trying to impose their beliefs on the general population and turn this country into a theocracy--but that's a different topic.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 06/30/07 - 12:55 pm
ConcernedCitizen, that is a

ConcernedCitizen, that is a different topic, but the radical right, like the radical left, is just another cross for our society. One of the best parts of this site is the chance we get for discussion on all levels without haveing the ability to resort to violence. It makes for interresting dueling. It also give us an opportunity to practice keeping our cool under fire. I know I learned a lot the one time I was wrong.

sassygalady30
sassygalady30 06/30/07 - 01:40 pm
well to me gay's have the

well to me gay's have the right to live the way they want to. i have no problems with noone. all the hate is whats wrong with augusta. live ur lifes n let them live theres they don"t bother u ,,so why bother them?i have friend's that r gay n r cool as hell.time to grow up people. we have gay people n it's part of life get over. it if u don't like it o well just live ur life n stay out of there's...............

deekster
deekster 06/30/07 - 01:51 pm
Gay Pride is "shaking your

Gay Pride is "shaking your fist in GOD ALMIGHTY's " face and saying "I'm queer and here" and "I don't care about what the BIBLE says". It's is rebellion against GOD in the most extreme case.

Sinner all come to GOD acknowledging they live contrary to GOD, repent (say you have sinned and what you are doing is sin). Then and only then can you you be saved. Homosexuals are the only group of sinners who refuse to acknowledge disobedients to GOD and yet want to be accepted as true followers of Christ. There is a difference.

Where are the Murder Pride, Liar Pride, Adulterer Pride parades?

They have no shame. They love the darkness where their sins can be hidden.

deekster
deekster 06/30/07 - 01:54 pm
Wait until you "progresses

Wait until you "progresses church" has "gay pride day". It is just around the corner. No self respecting gay will tolerate less from a loving caring Christian congregation. Denounce the sin and love the sinner.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 06/30/07 - 03:41 pm
columbiacountyplanning, your

columbiacountyplanning, your post wouldn't come across as quite so abrasive if you combined your last two posts into your last sentence. Also, it leaves room for response.

TB case reported at Martinez Elementary

Columbia County school officials are working with public health authorities this morning to investigate a reported case of tuberculosis at Martinez Elementary School.