Can immigration mess be solved?

The immigration bill has been defeated. That does not mean the immigration problem has been solved. Nor does it mean that Sen. Lindsey Graham backed the wrong horse. It was the only horse in the race!

The problem stems from the legacy of James K. Polk. He should have taken the West all the way to Panama when he had the chance and made us the 60 United States of America.

After all, the citizens of Mexico are North Americans also. Spanish is a beautiful language; we should be fluent in both. The problem is multi-dimensional - poverty south of our borders, greed north of the border - and work to the lowest bidder.

All three were well-represented in the defunct bill. What killed the bill were the earmarks - the greed of unnamed senators - the cost to those who had little or no stake in the outcome, and all the benefits to those who created the mess in the first place: agribusiness and their compatriots in the marketplace.

So we are back to square one. Certainly a 1,500-mile wall is no solution, nor are 2,000 more border patrol officers. Neither was Ross Perot's warning of a "sucking sound" to the south.

President Bush has made a royal mess of things. Let's hope he can get his unemployed brother Jeb on this case, and solve at least one problem in eight years. Then maybe his legacy will actually be "compassionate conservatism."

Tom Zwemer, Augusta

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 06/30/07 - 09:00 am
Where to start? The defeat of

Where to start? The defeat of this bill was truly varied, but the multiple-million voices that spoke to our senators by phone, e-mail and snail mail probably had plenty to do with it. Even some democrats listened. Greed and poverty have been present since long before the proposal of this potential albatross. The federal government hasn't shown the willingness to secure the southern border, why would any thinking person trust them on all of the trigger points of this bill? The only horse in this race was blind, cripple and crazy and backing it WAS the wrong move. Graham needs to switch parties so his actions won't be offensive, they'll just be predictable. Spanish is a beautiful language, almost as beautiful as American English. Once our country masters what should be the official language, then Spanish would make a good sport language. We are not back to square one. After the borders are secured and the illegals are dealt with we'll be near to square one. Your idea of no solution seems to be the only solution. If it weren't for your perspective Mr Zwemer, I'd agree with your letter.

k_heffner
k_heffner 06/30/07 - 09:11 am
Uh, President Bush was for

Uh, President Bush was for this bill. How is this his fault? Simple solution to illegal immigration: enforce the Law!

Carleton Duvall
Carleton Duvall 06/30/07 - 09:45 am
Mr Zemmer, I agree that

Mr Zemmer, I agree that Spanish is a beautiful language so is French, Italian, German and English. Do you feel that this criteria alone is adequate to open our borders to all immigrants without control?

_kpc_
_kpc_ 06/30/07 - 09:46 am
While the President was in

While the President was in fact in favor of this mess of a bill, he never got a chance to sign it, so you can't fully blame him for it's defeat.....unless you are like those that blame him for anything. He DID, afterall, create hurricain Katrina.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 06/30/07 - 09:59 am
I disagree with kpc. The

I disagree with kpc. The president didn't create Katrina, even though he DID send it to New Orleans because of unknown racist reasons.

_kpc_
_kpc_ 06/30/07 - 10:02 am
I stand corrected.

I stand corrected.

bone
bone 06/30/07 - 10:40 am
how did the end of this

how did the end of this letter happen? i was with zwemer until he suddenly turned bush-basher at the end. how did bush make all of the lawmakers dump their earmarks onto the bill? did anyone watch the proceedings in the house where dems promised to eventually let everyone review the earmarks - later? this bill was doomed by the hostility of repubs & dems to each other, not bush failing to do anything. a better bush bash would have been to question why the current laws aren't being enforced and illegal immigrants being deported immediately.

Carleton Duvall
Carleton Duvall 06/30/07 - 10:47 am
Heck, Bone, even when our

Heck, Bone, even when our government tries in a feeble way to do something they screw it up. How about that fence they built on Mexican soil?

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 06/30/07 - 11:21 am
heck bone connected to the

heck bone connected to the ....

_kpc_
_kpc_ 06/30/07 - 11:25 am
Feeling giddy, Patricia?

Feeling giddy, Patricia?

mgroothand
mgroothand 06/30/07 - 11:53 am
kpc: we're all feeling a

kpc: we're all feeling a little giddy, no comments from Caine today.... Patricia youre speling is becawming a newsannce, evrione nos heckbone has a "n" bfure it.

drcptsr
drcptsr 06/30/07 - 12:05 pm
Have you read the book

Have you read the book Compassionate Conservatism by Marvin Olasky with Foreward by George W. Bush? GWB must not have read it either. Professionals like the Salvation Army and Red Cross should have had contracts with the Feds/states/cities early in 2001 that they had won in the normal Request for Proposal (RFP) and Best and Final Offer (BAFO) competitive process. Then 9/11, Katrina and Rita, etc assistance would have been more coordinated. The governments at all levels are inefficient action agencies - except maybe fire and police.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 06/30/07 - 01:05 pm
I hate being such a bad

I hate being such a bad speller but I like the abuse I get because of it. I consider it another challenge to deal with. My problem should be acceptable though because it's genetic.

johnsmith
johnsmith 06/30/07 - 07:26 pm
Patty, I think your spelling

Patty, I think your spelling is just fine. Think of some of the folks in this forum whose spelling is perfect, but whose thought processes are...well...labyrinthine might be the best adjective :)

t of i
t of i 06/30/07 - 10:13 pm
Hey, patriciathomas. Both

Hey, patriciathomas. Both phonics and linquistics need to be taught early on if you want good spellers. I and my brother, 7 years younger ,were taught by the same first grade teacher. My sister had a different teacher. My brother and I were better spellers. AND AS I SAID TO THAT EE IDIOT it had nothing to do with intelligence.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 06/30/07 - 10:27 pm
this is the hard part t of i,

this is the hard part t of i, my sister and I shared most of the same teachers at the same time for the first six years of school. I don't know where to put the h in sure but am a savant in math often tutoring student 5 years ahead of me in school. She can't get 2 every time she adds 1+1 but can spell any word she hears. I'm convinced I have a defective spell-gene. I study every day and am now good enough to mispell only some of the words. In another 50 years, I'll mispell fewer. I figure everyone needs one fault. It's what keeps me humble. (I'll never learn to spell labyrinthine)

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 06/30/07 - 10:44 pm
labyrinthine to describe a

labyrinthine to describe a thought process? How tubular, dude.

Rozzie2003
Rozzie2003 07/01/07 - 12:39 am
Congratulations Mr. Zwemer

Congratulations Mr. Zwemer for a well thought-out letter.
I have noticed your letters are among the better ones I have read in the Chronicle.
At least you are an independent thinker and don't let Limbaugh, Savage ,Bortz,and Fox telvision think for you.

Marko
Marko 07/01/07 - 12:42 am
Wow! No words from Cain on

Wow! No words from Cain on this one. I guess that since the bill died, he's crying to DailyKos etc. about why the bill died and how they should do better "getting the word out" for the next try at the immigration amnesty bill.

concernednative
concernednative 07/01/07 - 04:48 pm
The best point is his letter

The best point is his letter no one has offered a better solution. They all scream protect the borders. Even with an agressive program there will be 30-40 million by the time the fed govt improves border security. Because it will take them 5-10 years. S what is the plan for that 30-40 million for all the people that just scream protect the borders?

t of i
t of i 07/01/07 - 11:06 pm
PT, I forget how to spell

PT, I forget how to spell words I don't use. Spelling isn't important as punctuation and grammar. Grammar and punctuation are for the sense of the sentence, thought some posting here do not think so. Efite Elite appears to me to be a JHRC want-to-be, but without his humility. Forget Cain's earlier postings. Read his most recent. He expresses his opinions, but for the most part the local name calling is gone. He is passionate about what he believes. But he is not mean like the EEL appears to be. Please trust me on that! Perhaps EEL isn't mean, either. The proof of that isn't in.

Columbia County official quits

Barry Smith, Columbia County's longtime director of Community and Leisure Services, resigned suddenly Tuesday without explanation, county officials said.