Court ruling won't affect county magnet schools

Richmond County's magnet schools can continue to use race in their admissions policies - for now.

On Thursday, the U.S. Supreme Court ruled against voluntary, race-based student assignment plans in Seattle and Louisville, Ky., school systems.

The ruling will not immediately affect Richmond County's magnet schools because of an ongoing court desegregation order, according to legal scholars. However, if Richmond County were to satisfy its desegregation order, admissions policies of the magnet schools might change.

Jimmy Atkins, president of the Richmond County Board of Education, would like to end the desegregation order.

"It would be an A-plus on the report card for the school system" if the board satisfied the court order in the next year, he said.

But there remains a substantial legal gray area - and disagreement among some legal scholars - regarding what may happen to magnet school admissions if the desegregation order is lifted.

Professor John A. Powell, executive director of the Kirwan Institute for the Study of Race and Ethnicity at Ohio State University, said that race-based admissions policies at magnet schools might stand on the legal ground provided by Justice Anthony Kennedy's opinion and that school systems can use race as a factor in limited circumstances.

Magnet schools might need to have factors other than race, or even race and fine arts audition scores, in their admissions policies, said Professor Gary Orfield, the co-director of the Civil Rights Project at UCLA.

Other legal experts said that it is too early to tell whether Richmond County's magnet schools would be able to keep their race-based admissions policies if the desegregation order is lifted.

The two cases the Supreme Court ruled on, Parents Involved in Community Schools v. Seattle School District No. 1 and Meredith v. Jefferson County Board of Education, were argued in tandem in December.

In Seattle, the school district used race as a tie-breaking factor in some school assignments. A parents organization filed a lawsuit against the school system, charging that some students were unfairly denied admission to their schools of choice.

Reach Thomas Smyth at (706) 823-3224 or thomas.smyth@augustachronicle.com.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 06/29/07 - 06:04 am
Making decisions in favor of

Making decisions in favor of students because of race means you must make decisions against students because of race. Which one is considered necessary by the magnet schools?

owensjef
owensjef 06/29/07 - 06:33 am
Oh boy

Oh boy

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 06/29/07 - 06:37 am
I believe the issue is in

I believe the issue is in placing someone in the magnet school just to satisfy racial guidelines, rather than on actual merit. It should be on merit without regard to race, but a court order is a court order, no matter how wasteful it is. When this is done it deprives some really deserving students to accomodate some that are there based upon their heritage.

redapples
redapples 06/29/07 - 07:05 am
There goes that can of worms

There goes that can of worms again! Just can't seem to keep it contained.

aintryt
aintryt 06/29/07 - 07:08 am
I had to be put on a waiting

I had to be put on a waiting list to get into Davidson as a child because I was white and they had only had an opening for a black child. All student applicants must prove themselves and jump through hoops to get in though so I don't think the black child was less deserving. Never made it in though - by the time my chance came up I wasn't interested anymore.

SugarFoot
SugarFoot 06/29/07 - 07:15 am
Richmond County is paying

Richmond County is paying for the sins of its past. If the South had simply ended segregation voluntarily instead of fighting it tooth and nail.. things like this wouldn't still be happening today.

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 06/29/07 - 07:17 am
I think it should be based on

I think it should be based on academic merit, attendance, and discipline, with no regard to race. If you have maintained the grades, attendance and acceptable behaviour then it should be awarded based upon that. Also those grades should reflect the same courses and not compare general math grades against college credit courses, as they are want to do to bend the rules.

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 06/29/07 - 07:34 am
Sugarfoot, try traveling a

Sugarfoot, try traveling a little bit. In the northern US racism is rampant and a lot worse than here in the south. You are beating a horse that died almost 50 years ago.

aintryt
aintryt 06/29/07 - 07:45 am
I wasn't interested in

I wasn't interested in science as a child. I was interested in the arts. I don't think either would want me now - I'm old :)

jaschild
jaschild 06/29/07 - 07:49 am
since davidson claims fine

since davidson claims fine arts as its magnet, why not have blind auditions used to determine admission? that format is used by the instrumental organizations in GA for selection to the state's honor groups for band & orchestra. davidson could certainly make the process workable for some disciplines such as visual art and music; not sure how drama or dance would work. oh, sugarfoot, the south ended segregation years ago. you want to see real segregation? try looking at any major northern city and see what you find.

intheknow
intheknow 06/29/07 - 07:55 am
How would anyone know if they

How would anyone know if they were passed over because of Affirmative Action or the Good ole Boy system. I am really sick of this same bull every other day.

aintryt
aintryt 06/29/07 - 08:11 am
Intheknow - if your comment

Intheknow - if your comment was directed towards me then I can tell you we (my parents and I) were told this by the administration. I'm not upset or trying to beat a dead horse. It was just the facts given to us as they had to have an equal student body. X number of whites, X number of blacks, X number of asian, etc...

intheknow
intheknow 06/29/07 - 08:13 am
I am sorry you took it

I am sorry you took it personally, but No, it was not directed to you.

misscj0123
misscj0123 06/29/07 - 08:46 am
My daughter went to Davidson.

My daughter went to Davidson. I never knew race was a factor. She was admitted based on her audition scores and grade average from her last public school. I thought that was the purpose of the school.

LaTwon
LaTwon 06/29/07 - 08:48 am
anyone see the star trek

anyone see the star trek episode where they landed on a planet
where the people who had black on the left half of their face and white on the right half were at war with the people who had
white on the left half and black on the right half? when i was a child i thought cats were girls and dogs were boys. i learned that wasnt true when i declared a litter of pups all boys. those were the good old days............

Reality
Reality 06/29/07 - 08:57 am
I didn't know that there was

I didn't know that there was a policy of how many different color children could attend a public school. This policy seems like it will discriminate against everyone that has the qualifications if they are not the right color at the time....

LaTwon
LaTwon 06/29/07 - 09:18 am
there are policies on

there are policies on everything from central planning. perhaps we would be better off segregated if we cannot trust and live in peace and not think i am getting cheated because of my skin. then we would have no one to blame but ourselves. we would have responsibility. presidential candidate ron paul says that racism is a sin of the heart and that you cannot legislate that. seeing that usually the govt gets the opossite reaction to what they are trying to accomplish, any form of set aside for any reason should be eliminated. is causes my trouble than it is worth.

luckie
luckie 06/29/07 - 09:25 am
This does not just pertain to

This does not just pertain to students. Schools have to hire so many black teachers and so many white teachers. Of course, it is not always easy depending on the teachers requesting to be interviewed for a position.

aintryt
aintryt 06/29/07 - 09:26 am
Ok - I thought I fell under

Ok - I thought I fell under the catagory of anyone, but I guess I'm no one :) Have a great weekend everybody!

booger
booger 06/29/07 - 10:20 am
All of the school zones will

All of the school zones will need to be revised since they were based on trying to balance race at all schools.

JustMe
JustMe 06/29/07 - 10:40 am
Beach Music...You are right.

Beach Music...You are right. I live in the North and racisim is rampant. The blacks are the racists. They get all the free camps for there kids, before scholl programs and other things free. They don't need merit promotions, they get it on their color. Everyone is so afraid of being labeled a racist that they do nothing except get walked over by the blacks...a racist is a racist no matter what color. Come to Baltimore and you too can become a racist.

intheknow
intheknow 06/29/07 - 10:54 am
I guess it is just you. I

I guess it is just you. I live in the South and all the Whites get free camps for their kids, before school programs and other things free. They don't merit promotions, they get them based on the color of their skin. Everyone is so afraid of being labeled a racist that they do nothing, except get walked over by whites....See, I can same something that sounds just as stupid as you did.

coco rubio
coco rubio 06/29/07 - 11:09 am
my daughter goes to CT WALKER

my daughter goes to CT WALKER traditional magnet school....and one of the best things about it is the true diversity in the make up of the student body & faculty......not too many schools can say this in the CSRA....

RichmondCountyResident1
RichmondCountyResident1 06/29/07 - 11:53 am
Good post intheknow but you

Good post intheknow but you are wasting your time because most of these whites come from along line of segregationist.They think moving to Columbia County will solve all their problems.That way they can pretend things are like they use to be. They do not want diversity, immigration or neighbors who do not look like them.Strom Thurmond and George Wallace would be proud of them.

OpenMinded
OpenMinded 06/29/07 - 01:12 pm
It sounds to me like a lot of

It sounds to me like a lot of people think that if all these requirements are lifted and racial diversity is lost, SO WHAT, that will be perfectly fine and dandy. And those people seem to imply that racial diversity is absolutely unimportant anyway, despite all scholastic studies which show that it IMPROVES the learning process of all students. Let's just ignore race altogether and if whites end up getting the best of everything like it was during segregation, well then LAA DEE DAA and oh well who cares. Is that about right?

bone
bone 06/29/07 - 02:09 pm
coco, when you say "true

coco, when you say "true diversity," you mean students of all ability and motivation levels, correct? who cares what race/religion/sex they are as long as they WANT to come to school and learn; that's why good teachers are attracted to places like CTW, ARJ, and DFA. good teachers in other RCBOE schools should just be called what they are: saints.

bone
bone 06/29/07 - 02:19 pm
curious what studies cite

curious what studies cite improvement in the learning process resulting from desegregation, openminded. i don't doubt you - could you send me a few links? i can only find studies which seem to indicate that desegregation hasn't worked well without combining extracurricular activities to promote positive social interaction. just throwing different races together and hoping everyone realizes magically that they're the same on the inside has always struck me as a bit hubristic on the part of judges. but i'm really not that well-read like openminded, so i'd like a chance to revise my conceptions about integration.

SugarFoot
SugarFoot 06/29/07 - 02:31 pm
I am not saying that racism

I am not saying that racism does not exist outside of The South.. but the reason why The South has these special restrictions is because it was the one region of the country that engaged in institutional segregation. This was not the case in Northern and Western States. The Jim Crow laws were a uniquely Southern phenomenon. And after courts ruled that these laws were unconstitutional.. Southern States simply ignored the rulings and refused to integrate. That is why there are a separate set of criteria Southern States must meet because of the regions history of ignoring the laws.

ivymist
ivymist 06/29/07 - 03:53 pm
i went to CT Walker for 9

i went to CT Walker for 9 years and i actually did not mind the intentional race equality. i am white, and i had friends who were white. but i also had friends who were black, hispanic, asian, whatever. i was actually in third grade before i realised that you had a "heritage" that was predetermined by what "race" your parents were. we were just taught that people were people, and didn't even give a thought to the fact that in order to be black, your biological parents had to be black. we were just kids, it didn't bother us. and i bet a lot of us are more accepting of other people because of this, than other children who were allowed to segregate for whatever reason.

bone
bone 06/29/07 - 03:59 pm
again, i ask my question: is

again, i ask my question: is the substantive effect of school desegregation a positive or negative for blacks based on data? i don't doubt that there has been some effect; i just wonder if the overall effect for most blacks has been positive. southern states continually defied federal mandates regarding availability of education within the guidelines that could be covered constitutionally (interstate commerce, i believe, but my history courses are way behind me now). black schools also received funding & materials in less proportion than white schools. now that all of these ills have been magically cured by the federal gov't, is the overall effect positive or negative for blacks? i wouldn't be able to speak for whites; even though i was taken across town for 6-7 grade in south Georgia in order to bring a higher quota of white students into a black neighborhood school, i still feel as if i received an education that was satisfactory.

Historic building on Laney campus demolished

The demolition of the 89-year-old Cauley-Wheeler building on the Lucy C. Laney High School campus is over, but the plan for a building that will act as a link to the former site and its story has ...