Cancelled flight ruined vacation

The deplorable reliability of flights out of Bush Field strikes again. How can we continue to sink money into a facility that continually fails customers?

I am in England, and my wife was to fly out of Augusta Regional Airport to Atlanta on Wednesday to connect to England to meet me for our vacation. We had decided to give AGS one more try because of the long layover in Atlanta on the return flight when flying out of Columbia, S.C.

However, AGS struck again, canceling her flight to Atlanta after it was too late to make any other arrangements. We had other flight plans from England the day after her scheduled arrival. Now we may lose thousands of dollars in pre-booked arrangements because of the wonderful reliability of AGS.

We have definitely learned our lesson and will never, ever fly out of Augusta's Bush Field again. Thank you, AGS, for ruining our vacation!

Chris J. Johnson, North Augusta, S.C.

wsm141
wsm141 06/29/07 - 07:23 am
Rent a car and drive to

Rent a car and drive to Atlanta! By the time you head to Bush Field to catch a flight to Atlanta get checked in wait a short time then board taxi to takeoff with a 30 to 45 minute flight you could have almost been in the Atlanta airport! Odds are you would have a short wait there too so you would have plenty of time to make your flight! I don't even waste my time flying to Augusta anymore! I fly home from California then drive to Augusta. Believe it or not its actually easier!

pofwe
pofwe 06/29/07 - 07:27 am
People remember when these

People remember when these local "B" celebs like Cotton Flyn, Stepen Kendricks, Pat Blanchard, etc ... promote their wonderful experiences flying out of Bush Field, they lie like rugs. Go to Columbia, better connections.

halffull
halffull 06/29/07 - 07:34 am
Are you keeping up with the

Are you keeping up with the news? It is not just Augusta, the person complaining even says they had experienced problems elsewhere. It is too bad about their vacation but when flyeing now-a-days you have to factor in such delays.

pofwe
pofwe 06/29/07 - 07:39 am
This is not new news for

This is not new news for Augusta this has been going on for decades. Even when Delta & Eastern Air Lines flew out of Bush Field.

deekster
deekster 06/29/07 - 09:02 am
Augusta is a dead end.

Augusta is a dead end. Augusta Regional is a "dead end " flight. There are no "continuing" flights to or from somewhere else. This is a major contributor to the problem. The major problem is that the regional airport is a "government subsidized" county "plaything". And just like any other service touched by RC government it it tainted and doomed. Bush Field is maintained by tax dollars to benefit a few wealthy people who haven't yet moved to Aiken or Columbia County, or have not dicovered McDuffie Cty Airport.

Can't the citizens of Augusta see that their elected officials only "play" at administrating the government. They can't maintain, much less move forward.

deekster
deekster 06/29/07 - 09:07 am
The "airport shuttles" have

The "airport shuttles" have regular schedules and they abide by them. From your door to check in Atlanta airport. Nothing could be easier and you can save up to hundreds of dollars.

If you have an early filight you can shuttle to Atlanta Airport. There are "hotel shuttles" at the airport to take you to and from a hotel near the airport. Shuttle fee and a nights stay in Atlanta is less than the cost to fly from Augusta to Atlanta on an "early bird". Especially if you have book a flight way in advance.

Goaliemom1987
Goaliemom1987 06/29/07 - 09:20 am
Fly out of Columbia it's

Fly out of Columbia it's about a 45min. drive and no hassle. I too will never ever fly out of Augusta! What a shame..

concernednative
concernednative 06/29/07 - 09:30 am
Why go to Columbia go the

Why go to Columbia go the extra hour to Atlanta and make it easy on yourself. By the time you deal with two airports I can almost guarantee that driving to Atlanta will cost you 30 minutes or so in time and save you money.

Reality
Reality 06/29/07 - 09:41 am
We had the same problem 2

We had the same problem 2 weeks ago flying to Gatwick but made connections by minutes the plane was already boarding. I am glad to see all of the tax payers money(minus Williams') being spent on the construction at AGS/Bush Field...

xqwbv2
xqwbv2 06/29/07 - 10:03 am
To be truthful, you might be

To be truthful, you might be bumped off of numerous flights when you get to Atlanta these days, due to weather or overbooking. Planes are so packed due to the post 9/11 airline economy that they are routinely overloaded and you might be grounded for a while even at ATL, especially this summer.

Rob Pavey
Rob Pavey 06/29/07 - 10:08 am
if I had that much invested

if I had that much invested in a vacation, I'd just get in the car and drive to Atlanta - it's just 2 hours.

3M3T1B
3M3T1B 06/29/07 - 10:10 am
Augusta sucks and flights out

Augusta sucks and flights out of Augusta Regional Airport have a hard time getting off the ground due to the vacuum pressure.

Reality
Reality 06/29/07 - 10:11 am
The airlines are to blame

The airlines are to blame most of the time, even though the Airport catches the blunt of it. The simple fact is most airlines just don't care about the passengers only the money...

The Knave
The Knave 06/29/07 - 10:14 am
Once again, your government

Once again, your government has spent your money on a worthless project -- the new AGS terminal. The heart of the problem is not enough passengers = not enough flights = dead end. If the service was good and the prices competitive, people would stand under a shade tree to board. The terminal is a reflection of government's insatiable desire to spend money and erect monuments to their egos. Mix that with the stupidity that infects Augusta's government "officials," and the result is a deadly brew. RE: "Fly out of Columbia it's about a 45min. drive.." If one can travel from Augusta to the Cola. airport in 45 min., it must be in a helicopter.

1980reader
1980reader 06/29/07 - 10:26 am
I have had similar

I have had similar experiences with Delta/ASA here and in other small southern airports. You are always rolling the dice that they'll cancel you at the last minute. Go to Atl, Charlotte, Columbia, or Greenville.

Carleton Duvall
Carleton Duvall 06/29/07 - 10:56 am
Yeah, the knave, I use to fly

Yeah, the knave, I use to fly out of Columbia on a regular basis. It took me close to one hour and a half.

Tater
Tater 06/29/07 - 11:22 am
The problem is not Bush

The problem is not Bush Field. Atlanta has become so crowded that in the afternoons you could sit on the ramp for an hour just to get a parking spot at the gate. The best thing is to bypass Atlanta. When Comair flew from AGS to Cincinatti it was wonderful. Greenville is a good choice along with Columbia, if you are going to fly someone besides Delta or the Delta Connection.

jack
jack 06/29/07 - 11:44 am
Anyone who does not have to

Anyone who does not have to (the military/government employees are required to) but chooses to fly out of AGS deserves whatever poor service they get. The AC has had letters to the editor many times complaining of the poor or no service, so you have been warned. ASA/Delta have shown time and again they do not care one whit about passengers, but the bottom line. Columbia is a much better choice, especially with a lot of direct, cheaper flights to major cities such as Orlando and others.

edst4
edst4 06/29/07 - 12:46 pm
I flew out of Charlotte cost

I flew out of Charlotte cost me 186.00 total per person to fly round trip to Ca and back. Flying from Augusta it would of been 676.00 per person. I saved 490.00 per person. I drove a total of 5 hours round trip. Parking was 3 dollars a day. I saved 1.960.00 in ticket price minus a tank of gas and parking i came out by saving 1,890.00. Even flying from Savannah is cheaper.

Cody_Webster
Cody_Webster 06/29/07 - 12:49 pm
Do like we are going to do,

Do like we are going to do, file your flightplan and get the brooms out of the closet and away we go to the west coast.
Hassle free flying!

Does_it_really_matter
Does_it_really_matter 06/29/07 - 01:54 pm
The airport is proof yet

The airport is proof yet again, that Augusta will always be a second rate town. Like dressing up a pig, you can construct and remodel the airport all you want...but it won't change what it is.

travlinman
travlinman 06/29/07 - 02:14 pm
Until we get a truely

Until we get a truely reliable airline coming in here to replace ASA, you will never see any real improvements. all the money spent for the new terminals was a waste of money. It did boost the ego of certain female board members though. Atlanta, drive there, fly out, fly back. No problems.

AugustaRaider
AugustaRaider 06/29/07 - 02:31 pm
You know, there are just some

You know, there are just some people who just cannot handle the drive to Atl, parking, checking in and finding their gate. I do it almost weekly, but some folks just don't have the experience or ability. The fact that Ags sucks so bad really hurts this town. ASA is the worst airline, and with our reliance on it... We're toast.

aj
aj 06/29/07 - 02:55 pm
Bush field was upgraded, just

Bush field was upgraded, just for looks I guess. I have never flown out of Augusta but several of my friends have. I hate small planes, scares me. I drive to Atlanta. They do have the shuttle from here and you don't have to worry about parking. It's definitely cheeper that flying from here to Atlanta.

bowler
bowler 06/29/07 - 03:44 pm
i missed a bowling tournament

i missed a bowling tournament one time b/c my flight out of augusta was canceled at the last minute...i'm still mad, b/c i probably would have won with my new bowling ball

wildman
wildman 06/29/07 - 05:03 pm
Funny how this was in the

Funny how this was in the paper today. I left Augusta on Tuesday at the time I was suppose to arrive in D.C. When I returned to AGS today my luggage was badly damaged, I was treated like crap by the Delta D.A. They wanted me to go home empty my luggage, bring it back and they will have it looked at to see if it can be repaired, all in all this will take about 4 weeks. Even more important I don't want it repaired I want it replaced. My question, why should I wait four weeks to be compensated for something that was not damaged when I left this morning. And oh by the way, they did not seem to care I was late getting to D.C. but if I change my plans it will cost me $100. Delta out of AGS sucks!

dashiel
dashiel 06/29/07 - 05:25 pm
I'd still rather fly out of

I'd still rather fly out of Augusta and fly home to Augusta than tour the Atl parking lot. It's worth the $ and Delta has never screwed me yet. With whining tightwads like these residents, Augusta doesn't need any enemies.

edst4
edst4 06/29/07 - 05:35 pm
Well dashiel glad to hear you

Well dashiel glad to hear you can afford to fly from Augusta at triple the ticket price. So my happ butt is driving to Charlotte or Columbia P.S. they have such nice parking lots also.

Does_it_really_matter
Does_it_really_matter 06/29/07 - 05:38 pm
dashiel, your time will

dashiel, your time will come......then we will see who will be doing the whining....it's not if Delta screws you, it's when.

Edward B. Turner
Edward B. Turner 06/29/07 - 05:42 pm
Columbia has NEVER let me

Columbia has NEVER let me down...plus they have non-stops to New York City....