Merry calls for action against Williams

Community activist Woody Merry initiated legal action Monday seeking censure of Augusta Commissioner Marion Williams.

Merry  File/Staff
File/Staff
Merry

The Richmond County State Court petition alleges that if fellow commissioners do not reprimand Mr. Williams, a judge should. It further contends that Mr. Williams should be found guilty of violating a city ordinance - punishable by as many as 60 days in a public works camp.

Mr. Williams said Monday that he has no comment on any of Mr. Merry's legal maneuvers. Monday's petition is Mr. Merry's second attempt to seek a judicial critique of Mr. Williams' behavior as a public official.

In the most recent action, Mr. Merry alleges that Mr. Williams has violated city ordinances dealing with the ethical duties of elected officials.

He contends that Mr. Williams should be censured for his support of a plan to build a south Augusta drag strip across the street from where his son-in-law, Mark Pugh, intended to build a snack shop, Drag Snacks. At the minimum, Mr. Merry alleges, Mr. Williams should have told commissioners about Mr. Pugh's real estate interest near the proposed drag strip site. Mr. Pugh's land purchase came to the public's attention through reports in The Augusta Chronicle.

Mr. Merry also contends that Mr. Williams is in violation of his oath of office because he owes back property taxes. The city filed collection liens against Mr. Williams in March for $2,620.90, according to the petition.

Mr. Merry's petition cites a state law that prohibits any publicly paid official from holding a civil office if he owes back taxes.

The petition asks for Mr. Williams' censure by the commission or by the court, his removal as a commissioner unless and until the back taxes are paid and his conviction for a city ordinance violation.

Mr. Merry, the founder of CSRA Help, filed his first legal action against Mr. Williams and the city in January 2006. He challenged commissioners' use of abstentions to block majority wins and the mayor's ability to break a tie.

In February, the Georgia Supreme Court ruled that abstentions stand as nonvotes.

Reach Sandy Hodson at (706) 823-3226 or sandy.hodson@augustachronicle.com.

Reality
Reality 06/26/07 - 03:00 am
I think Woody Merry is right

I think Woody Merry is right in all of the points I read above, I would still like to know if and how Fred Russell's hard drive was copied. I hope Woody doesn't stop here and puts pressure on any other illegal or unethical activity in the local government...

owensjef
owensjef 06/26/07 - 03:27 am
Would you like to to know if

Would you like to to know if Fred Ruessell was involved in fraud waist and abuse?

MyOpinion1
MyOpinion1 06/26/07 - 03:46 am
Just another racist trying to

Just another racist trying to put a black man down

WorriedAboutOurFuture
WorriedAboutOurFuture 06/26/07 - 04:26 am
So you really think this is

So you really think this is nothing more than racism? It doesn't have anything to do with Marion Williams, himself, right? Williams has been helping this city move forward, has he? Upright, model citizen and leader deserving all our respect? Right. You just keep on thinking that and poor South Augusta will keep right on sending us the same lame excuses as commissioners.

Reality
Reality 06/26/07 - 04:41 am
I think in Williams' case the

I think in Williams' case the facts speak for themselves. owensjef, there are legal ways to obtain information. MyOpinion, I think you are just joking with a statement like that. Woody Merry is just pointing out the FACTS.

NANF
NANF 06/26/07 - 04:44 am
I have paid my property taxes

I have paid my property taxes on time everytime because it's the law. Period! No one loves to pay taxes, but that's life Williams. The cheating and lying that you do in public is surely double that in private. You think you are such a hot shot, the 2000 plus dollars that you owe should just be pocket change to you. Why not pay it and get it over with or do you think the people that voted for you will take up a collection and help. You will have to answer for your actions at some point in your life. I almost feel sorry for fools like you.

bayouchaplain
bayouchaplain 06/26/07 - 05:24 am
I do not understand why Mr.

I do not understand why Mr. Williams refuses to pay his back taxes. Mr. Merry should be commended for having the courage to bring Mr. Williams' infractions to the public light. This has absolutely nothing to do with race. All citizens must follow the law, regardless of race. I am baffled by Mr. Williams' audacity to continue to serve as a county commissioner when he is in violation of the law. If Mr. Williams is given an exemption from paying his property tax, then that same exemption should be available to all the citizens of Richmond County.

areyoukiddinme
areyoukiddinme 06/26/07 - 05:45 am
Okay. I can't fault this

Okay. I can't fault this Merry guy for trying to better his city and officials, but does he have nothing better to do?

justus4
justus4 06/26/07 - 06:10 am
Honest is a FOOL. The

Honest is a FOOL. The argument that merry is right is bogus. What does he do for work? How can he afford these legal actions and why does the chronicle print his every word? The answer: Williams is on to something and merry is a diversion. I'll bet the mayor, russell, sherrif, chronicle and radio, conspired to drum up this action. They are working in concert and its
obvious to some. Ya'll gotta git another playbook-this one is being overused.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 06/26/07 - 06:15 am
I can't think of anything

I can't think of anything better for Mr Merry to be doing as a concerned citizen. Why hasn't the commission taken action against Mr Williams. I think owensjef is finally at least half right, this smells of racism. The commission is letting Williams continue to operate even though he has obviously broken the letter and the intent of the law several times. The commission acts as though they expect this kind of action from a black man so why reprimand him. Now that's racism.

Reality
Reality 06/26/07 - 06:25 am
justus4, do you pay your

justus4, do you pay your bills and abide by the law? If you do, than you should be upset when an elected official feels he doesn't have to do it...

bayouboogie
bayouboogie 06/26/07 - 06:50 am
Woody is a joke. If Williams

Woody is a joke. If Williams farts, Woody would take him to court to sue him for the noise it created or the stench of the fart. I'm tired of seeing Merry holding up a picket sign. Someone needs to yank this "watch-dog's" chain. CSRA Help? HA! Seems like a personal vendetta. Merry needs to get a life and stop throwing bricks.

Really Bugged
Really Bugged 06/26/07 - 06:50 am
I AM A RACIST!!! It's true!

I AM A RACIST!!! It's true! If someone is a criminal, or commiting criminal activity, I have to say I don't like them. I will do what ever I have to do to segrigate criminals from my family. If Marion Williams is a criminal or comminting crimes against the CSRA. Then I have to say I don't like him. However, he has not been convicted of anything, I think it's possible he may be a blooming IDIOT, stopping the progress of this community. I hate Idiots too. I AM A RACIST AGAINST IDIOTS AND CRIMINALS. I conclusion racism has a lot to do with what's going on here.

doorag
doorag 06/26/07 - 06:51 am
justus4, Seriously, are you

justus4,

Seriously, are you really that stupid???

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 06/26/07 - 06:55 am
justus4,bayouboogie and

justus4,bayouboogie and greenbug00 all agree with the commission. The CSRA shouldn't expect more from a black man.

Really Bugged
Really Bugged 06/26/07 - 07:05 am
WHAT!!! DID I SAY BLACK MAN

WHAT!!! DID I SAY BLACK MAN patriciathomas? NOOO! Did you not get the fact that I hate idiots and criminals. Therefore I am a racist. Are you so blind that when somesone says the word racism, you automatically presume that the word should only be associated with people of color skin?

pofwe
pofwe 06/26/07 - 07:06 am
Wood Merry is doing a service

Wood Merry is doing a service that the commission won't do. I would love to know how much tithe Rev' Williams taps from the collection plate on Sunday for pocket money. You know he does. He sees it as HIS money. Areyoukiddinme, what could Woody do any better than calling a spade a spade? No pun intended.

AugustaHeph homeowner
AugustaHeph homeowner 06/26/07 - 07:11 am
This whole thing with M.

This whole thing with M. Willilams needs to come to a halt. As a taxpayer, and if I don't PAY one year to the next, there will be a LEVI notice sent to me, I know because at one time I worked in the Marble Palace in the Tax office, all these HOLIER than THOUGH people think they can pay the TAX personnel off and they will overlook the due bill. Guess what? some DO!!!!!!!!! Williams needs to spend some time doing TIME, along with some other officials. GET HIM OUT OF THE COMMISSIONERS OFFICE. THIS IS DISGUSTING. MORE POWER TO W. MERRY KEEP GOING AS FAR AS POSSIBLE! I cannot stand williams

CSRAider
CSRAider 06/26/07 - 07:13 am
Kill then all and let god

Kill then all and let god sort them out. I mean all of them any race any religion any gender. If the rest of Augusta is as sick and tired of the way no work gets done due to the bickering of the politicos in Augusta, as I am! AND WHAT [filtered word] ME OFF MOST is they blame this on race BS when it really a personal power struggle. m

Really Bugged
Really Bugged 06/26/07 - 07:16 am
Mr. Merry, I respect your

Mr. Merry, I respect your ability to express and inforce your beliefs. If you are motivated to try to get Marion Williams out of the commision because you beleive he is making poor choices, and breaking the law, thank you for showing the world that you beleive that you can make the differnce. God Bless America. "The people should not fear the government. The government should fear the people."

CSRAider
CSRAider 06/26/07 - 07:20 am
Shut up Politicos and let

Shut up Politicos and let your actions speak louder than words. Let your actions speak louder than Race. Let your action speak!!!!

Really Bugged
Really Bugged 06/26/07 - 07:23 am
yy4me do you need a hug?

yy4me do you need a hug?

curly123053
curly123053 06/26/07 - 07:24 am
One of Augusta's biggest

One of Augusta's biggest Racists is Marion Williams, and he is not shy about it!

elemtchr
elemtchr 06/26/07 - 07:45 am
Stupid is stupid not matter

Stupid is stupid not matter what color you are. Marion Williams is stupid. This town only talks about racism. If someone is black and under scrutiny, its always racism. Why can't people see that Marion Williams is just plain stupid? He represents no one but himself and what he wants. I would bet that the longer his "public service" as a commissioner is allowed to go on by the voters, the more and more likely he will do jail time for something stupid. He is an embarrassment to Augusta and needs to be run out of town. Maybe he and Robin WIlliams and Charles Walker would be fine roomates. By the way, if you side with Marion, YOU are stupid too.

334 New Yorker
334 New Yorker 06/26/07 - 07:50 am
Keep up the good work M.

Keep up the good work M. Woody I will help support YOU!!!!!! I pay my property tax On Time. To me M. Williams needs to resign.

jackfruitpaper833
jackfruitpaper833 06/26/07 - 08:06 am
augusta backwards...

augusta backwards...

getalife
getalife 06/26/07 - 08:08 am
Go Mr. Merry!!!! Anytime a

Go Mr. Merry!!!! Anytime a black person is accused or confronted with any illegal or ethical issue, it is "racial". I don't think that Mr. Williams is serving his constituents and he has not accomplished anything but disruption and discord on the commission. Now he claims to have a copy of a hard drive that has personal information and if so, he is in violation of the law. He still has not paid his property tax!! He will do anything to get his name in the news and newspapers. Regardless of color, he is stupid, arrogant, and a bigot!!! If he was white, red, yellow or green, I would still feel the same way.

kokousa
kokousa 06/26/07 - 08:12 am
Does Merry stay in Richmond

Does Merry stay in Richmond County? I checked the tax records and can't find any property listed under his name.

CKB
CKB 06/26/07 - 08:15 am
Go, Woody, go! Run Marion

Go, Woody, go! Run Marion Williams out of town permanently. He is standing in the way of OUR future!!! Why are the commissioners not taking a stand with him? Waht about the Mayor? Are they afraid of him??? He is ruining Augusta- get rid of him for us, since the commission and Deke seem oblivious to this problem. And THANK YOU, Woody for caring about Augusta and helping us!!! We need more like you in Augusta!!!

stillamazed
stillamazed 06/26/07 - 08:21 am
Race doesn't matter if the

Race doesn't matter if the law has been broken. Period.......Someone in the opinion section is always quick to play the race card, that is Augustas problem. Black or white, if you break the law you should be held accountable, being black does not excuse Williams from breaking laws and avading paying taxes. I don't think he should get a pay check as long as he owes taxes and if he indeed broke laws by taking the hard drive then he should be held accountable.. but oh I forgot...we can't hold him accountable because he is black.....get real people.....