Black leaders demand justice

SAVANNAH, Ga. - The Georgia Association of Black Elected Officials is holding its annual convention in Savannah this weekend, with leaders planning to focus on the case of Genarlow Wilson, a young black man imprisoned for engaging in consensual sex as a teen.

The need for justice in that case and others is the message hundreds of black leaders from across the state will spread during their visit to Savannah.

"Everyone is asking: 'What's going on in Georgia?' We thought we were beyond that," said Democratic state Rep. Tyrone Brooks, the president of the association.

Mr. Brooks began the four-day convention Thursday afternoon at the Ralph Mark Gilbert Civil Rights Museum, surrounded by a dozen fellow black leaders.

Mr. Wilson was convicted of aggravated child molestation for having consensual oral sex with a 15-year-old when he was 17. He has served two years of a 10-year sentence and will be required to register as a sex offender.

A judge earlier this month ruled that it was "cruel and inhumane treatment" to continue to keep Mr. Wilson in prison. However, Attorney General Thurbert E. Baker is appealing to keep Mr. Wilson behind bars.

That's a direct violation of Mr. Wilson's civil rights, Mr. Brooks said.

"The message to Georgia, the nation and the world is: We've come a distance, changed the law and made progress, but we still have a long way to go," Mr. Brooks said.

SANTA CLAUS JR
SANTA CLAUS JR 06/23/07 - 11:14 pm
i have a 17 year old daughter

i have a 17 year old daughter and the last guy that started something with her is now unable to have children-if you know what i mean.isn't karate and boxing a nice hobby for a young lady

Daddyrabbit
Daddyrabbit 06/24/07 - 06:43 am
I read how the sex case is

I read how the sex case is not a racial issue, but, it IS a racial issue now! The Black Elected Officials have made it that. Do you think they would be so concerned if he were any other color? If so, I have some ocean front property in Arizona I'd love to sell you!

PAW
PAW 06/24/07 - 06:44 am
got Woody Merry sitting next

got Woody Merry sitting next to me right now. woddy would you like to tell the readers somenthing ? HEE HAW! HEE HAW! HEE HAW! ...........There you go folks, words straight from the [filtered word]

bone
bone 06/24/07 - 07:01 am
do a little reading,

do a little reading, owensjef, regarding the history of asians in america. you have encouraged others to read about the history of blacks in the u.s. the chinese exclusion act of 1882 would be a good place to start.

tdc
tdc 06/24/07 - 07:06 am
daddyrabbit: laws and facts

daddyrabbit: laws and facts mean nothing to these black supremecy groups. there answer for anything and everything is the race card. they're not intelligent enough to think of anything else, but we are dumb enough to listen to them. they will distort the truth, lie, steal, cheat, and ignore the facts, while on pace to free a guilty black. Ask this question: Where is Jesse, Al, and the Panther's in reference to Duke, right now? No where to be found! Always remember the hate that spewed out of their mouths for white america, when they just knew that 3 "rich white boys" gang raped this poor innocent black mother, whom was working the night shift and attending school to better herself. lmao. yeah right. a direct quote from Jesse: " this has been happening since the slave days, when the white masser, would rape the black slaves" In Jesse's mind, all white men rape black women.....news alert....we don't have to, they would love to be with us.

bone
bone 06/24/07 - 07:23 am
i hate when you use jackson

i hate when you use jackson as an example of what typical blacks think. i'd rather believe that most blacks are eager to find spokespeople who present solutions to some of the major problems today in black society. unwed motherhood and youth violence have to be addressed soon to break the cycle of low income/low education poverty that grips a large percentage of the black population. whites, it seems, are so fed up with the jackson types that even traditional sources of support for blacks are starting to dry up.

tdc
tdc 06/24/07 - 08:20 am
bone: i will quit using the

bone: i will quit using the likes of Jesse and Al, when blacks go on record to denounce them. These people are just as detrimental to blacks as they are whites, but it seems no one has taken a public stand against them, yet.
Jesse Jackson came to my little home town in the late 80's...had a big rally, everyone was excited to see this just man whom was here to enlighten us all. Guess what the 1st words to come out of his mouth was....." How much can you give, today? Can you give $100, $500, or $1000 to help us fight?) Seriously, everyone, mostly blacks, left him standing at the podium. CORRUPT.

owensjef
owensjef 06/24/07 - 08:38 am
Oh boy

Oh boy

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 06/24/07 - 09:03 am
owensjef, was that a racist

owensjef, was that a racist comment?

owensjef
owensjef 06/24/07 - 09:19 am
Yes, tdc thinks the white man

Yes, tdc thinks the white man is losing all his rights.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 06/24/07 - 09:29 am
owensjef, not all of his

owensjef, not all of his rights, but some. It's the pendelum effect. Whining has been an equalizer in the information era. We all get to do a liitle on this site.

PFLY775
PFLY775 06/24/07 - 10:18 am
The girl needs to go to jail

The girl needs to go to jail too.

_kpc_
_kpc_ 06/24/07 - 10:21 am
Why can't all races have

Why can't all races have equality regardless of how their ancestors have been treated? And it would be nice if people could defend their stance in a more intelligent manner than with statemens like "Yea Yea , show your ignorance, I bet I could kick you ohps."

owensjef
owensjef 06/24/07 - 10:21 am
Like what? The right to take

Like what? The right to take someone's seat on a bus. Seriously what rights.

_kpc_
_kpc_ 06/24/07 - 10:26 am
owensjef...How about the

owensjef...How about the right to get equal points for equal academic ability for college admission. That right has been taken at many colleges.

tdc
tdc 06/24/07 - 10:39 am
coalminer: was the girl

coalminer: was the girl convicted of anything? can two be charged for statutory rape, even if it is consentual? Or is she a victim, who was forced into an act by a sex crazed predator? Is her legalities being withheld b/c of her age?
Don't know...just asking.

_kpc_
_kpc_ 06/24/07 - 10:43 am
Per the law, she could not

Per the law, she could not give legal consent, therefore she is a victim of statutory rape.

tdc
tdc 06/24/07 - 10:46 am
kpc: owensjef will not

kpc: owensjef will not address those issues, b/c he is not really for equal rights. His agenda is for the preferential treatment of a particular class. NOT EQUALITY. Just keep your eyes and ears open. Quota's, not merits. Qualifications based on skin color, not qualifications. Lower standards of admissions for certain "protected classes" vs other classes. Where is the equality in affirmative action????? Someone please justify, b/c i can't figure it out, on my own.

tdc
tdc 06/24/07 - 10:52 am
kpc: thanks for the

kpc: thanks for the clarification. if the child is not old enough to legally give consent, then she probably wasn't old enough to fight off such a sex crazed predator and felt threaten, if she was to defy him. Believe it or not, it happens a lot, especially when a group of aggressive, hormoned driven males, isolate and corner their young prey. Maybe he did get what he deserved, after all. But i cannot pretend i know the entire story b/c i don't, yet. So this is just my opinion, based on the limited information, I have available, at this time.

WW1949
WW1949 06/24/07 - 11:14 am
Everyone has a right to earn

Everyone has a right to earn a living in the US. Some do better than others, some have alot more drive than others and some just work alot harder at what they want than others. I resent the fact that some think it is the taxpayers responsibility to fund their wants. I resent the fact that alot of tax money, both federal and state, is taken from my check to fund the give away programs. Make the receivers, both black and white, clean the streets, parks and public buildings for these checks. WE could then have a much cleaner city and they wouldn't be getting handouts. I think every tax paying citizen, both black and white, is getting tired of the socialprograms. I want to keep what I work for and if I choose to help someone in need it will be my choice and not forced upon me. What say you about that Mr.owensjef, kpc and all the others.

WW1949
WW1949 06/24/07 - 11:20 am
I also think the 15 year

I also think the 15 year sentence was harsh( and I am white) but wasn't the fellow due to be released and the GA Attorney General stopped it. I don't see any outrage against Mr Thurbert Baker by the black leaders and he is black. Where is it? If theAttorney General was white would there be outrage?

bone
bone 06/24/07 - 11:22 am
or, at the very least, have

or, at the very least, have those that receive gov't handouts consent to random drug tests. persons who are mentally & physically handicapped; elderly; and children deserve to be cared for by our society. people that don't fit that criteria shouldn't be receiving a dime.

tdc
tdc 06/24/07 - 11:46 am
denali123---americans have,

denali123---americans have, for some time, been fed up with these social programs, for the "deprived and opressed." It has taken this long for us to start speaking out. We should have a say as to where our money is being spent. But making these people clean the streets is too much like "work" and some people consider that a terrible word. On the subject of the tax dollar....how come we are constantly aiding every country on Earth???? Who provides aid to America? No one, b/c everyone hate's us b/c we are everything they are not. They just come with their hands stuck out and if we don't help....our media portray's us as greedy, unjust.

mgroothand
mgroothand 06/24/07 - 12:42 pm
tdc: You are not entirely

tdc: You are not entirely correct. The most recent tragedy of Katrina is an example. My native country, Holland, is somewhat of an expert on flooding and Holland offered immediate help with pumps and expertise on building dikes and levees. Most of that help was ignored.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 06/24/07 - 01:30 pm
lol, borat, stop watching you

lol, borat, stop watching you own movie, you're starting to believe all of that 'stuff'. (great routine though)

owensjef
owensjef 06/24/07 - 04:12 pm
I bet tdc lives in a trailor

I bet tdc lives in a trailor and works at a fast food joint and is an advent listener of Michael Savage.

owensjef
owensjef 06/24/07 - 04:15 pm
Borat did you leave anyone

Borat did you leave anyone out. lol How about Pat thomas bring her , oh never mind.

owensjef
owensjef 06/24/07 - 04:16 pm
She is being nice today so I

She is being nice today so I want start any mess with her.

WW1949
WW1949 06/24/07 - 04:18 pm
Borat, I love this country

Borat, I love this country also. I also would like some of owensjef watermelon, kpc's pork and patricias red velvet cake. I love all of those goodies and would be glad to share wilt all but not forced to. Kpc thanks for reminding me about all the aid to other countries.

WW1949
WW1949 06/24/07 - 04:24 pm
People call call me greedy

People call call me greedy all they want but I still want what I earn and not to be forced to give to other that don't. Mentally and Physically handicapped excluded if severly not just slight.